** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

The Derby.

4/5 Odds on for the Derby :eek What a sick price. I personally dont think it will win and the price is due to the blind leading theblind. Is Authorized really a 4/5 shot in a 20 or so horse race. The last odds on favourite to run in the race was'93 :unsure and that came 10th. Will the Frankie hoodoo strike again? Surely this leaves some very good E/W value bets lying around. Ive had 1 written down on my desk for nearly 5 weeks now and I hope its still 25/1;) Just checked its 33/1 now :nana:nana Thoughts...........

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Derby - Authorized now odds on The horse deserves to be favourite but not sure how it can be an odds on favourite. Haven't looked too in depth at the race yet but there are still horses in the race that haven't had a run yet this season and they may of improved. Also im not sure if Authorized will handle Epsom.

Re: Derby - Authorized now odds on I personally will be going for Soldier of Fortune, have not backed it yet as waiting for payday at the end of the month but it has shown it can win over the distance and handle the Good soft ground expected in the race. It might not win but I am very hopefull it will place, 14's down my local bookies.

Re: Derby - Authorized now odds on On the racingpost site the course clerk said He said: “We had 14mm on Saturday, 20 on Sunday and another three this afternoon, but while showers are forecast for later in the week they aren't expected to be too heavy and certainly nothing likethe volumes we've experienced in recent days. Accordingly, I think the ground will be good to soft on Saturday, though it's difficult to be entirely accurate this far out. I wouldn't expect it to be any worse than soft.” Which would not upset me if it were to be soft ground.

Re: Derby - Authorized now odds on

I personally will be going for Soldier of Fortune' date=' have not backed it yet as waiting for payday at the end of the month but it has shown it can win over the distance and handle the Good soft ground expected in the race. It might not win but I am very hopefull it will place, 14's down my local bookies.[/quote'] Im with you there Mr Bubbles, Im just waiting for the non runner no bet offer at the right bookies at 14-1

Im with you there Mr Bubbles' date=' Im just waiting for the non runner no bet offer at the right bookies at 14-1[/quote'] No Runner No Bet From PaddyPower [url=http://www.farbets.co.uk/link.php?p=paddypower] Epsom Derby & Oaks The Vodafone Derby and Oaks are only days away and to take a huge part of uncertainty out of this tricky equation, Paddy Power are now Non Runner No Bet on these races - so if your horse doesn't end up running, you'll get your stake refunded in full! Applies to bets placed after 12pm Monday 28th May 2007

Re: Derby - Authorized now odds on Ive had a bit of a squeak for Anton Chekhov 3rd on his debut and was a neck behind MaCarthur @ Lepordstown, the French trial didn't show his ability as he had to set the pace. Won LTO on Soft @ 1m3f.

Re: Derby - Authorized now odds on If the ground does come up soft the Authorized fully deserves to be odds on and will take all the beating imo. I've backed most of Aidans runners only to small ammount although my biggest profit would be if Solider of Furtune was to win, he looks to have rock solid form from this year and as a 2 year old, will handle the sharpe track and the ground.

Re: Derby - Authorized now odds on I posted this elsewhere , hope its okay to re-post in here. I'm not sure of the form of what Authorised beat at York. I know he looked good but all his form has been on softer ground. If it was to be on fast side of good will he act on a course which takes no prisoners? My early fancy was Aqaleem. I was lucky enough to back it at 140/1.

O :GoToMarket(20098785,%201)'>GB / Epsom 2nd Jun / The Derby AqaleemBack:spawn('betBreakdown','3051771691')'>3051771691 22-Mar-07 11:26 1407.00 14022-Mar-07 11:26 spacer.gif
When he met Authorised last season he beat him. Okay Authorised went on to win the Racing Post but Aqaleem was put away only returning in Lingfield Derby Trial , winning well, proving he acts on a course requiring similar qualities as Epsom and that he stays well. There should be improvement to come considering stable had coughing recently. Archipenko must be in with a big shout after winning a trial race that has been very informative over past few seasons. Looking like he would improve for the race would be interesting if turning up. I think it's an open looking Derby . But its all about opinions :ok

Re: Derby - Authorized now odds on I also took similar price to Mileni and expected it to be backed in even shorter. It's not just what it's beaten but it's HOW it beat them and how it travelled in the Dante. As the other jockeys were pushing along on their horses Frankie just cruised up alongside and hit the turbo button to fly clear impressively. It has to be his best chance of a Derby win as long as he doesn't go too soon on it. It's definitely too short at odds on because anything could happen and the average punter will be looking elsewhere. The Aqaleem bandwagon is rolling and that too will be even shorter. I'm going to look into the race in depth the night before and hope to find an ew alternative but more than happy with my bet running on Authorized. I think it's the real deal and should be in the winners enclosure Saturday.

it's HOW it beat them and how it travelled in the Dante.
yeah but dont you think it was a poor Dante this year. Not taking anything away from Authorized as it is a good animal but c'mon Odds on:unsure

yeah but dont you think it was a poor Dante this year. Not taking anything away from Authorized as it is a good animal but c'mon Odds on:unsure
I wouldn't take the odds on if I hadn't already backed it. It will only get shorter with the non regular punters lumping on it at the weekend. I don't think they quite realise the potential return though when they put their £1 ew on. :lol Agree Carl, it was a poor Dante but there weren't really any standout derby trials. Odds on is too short for any horse on a track like this. I really fancied Horatio Nelson last year but it went wrong and I think it got put down. Anything can happen, I think O'Brien is going to run 8 runners just to box in Authorized like a T-PAC that police use in traffic pursuits. ;) Silkwood interests me in the Oaks, only won over 10f at class 3 level but was crying out for step up in trip and is nice price at 20-1. :)

The Derby Thought I would start a new thread for this great race. I'm on Archipenko EW. Authorized is too short for my liking. Arcipenko won LTO over 1m2f and has the pedigree to win over 1m4f. Decent price, improving sort and won over different goings. Beat Yellowstone and Macarthur LTO and certainly looks the pick of O'Briens runners :ok

Re: The Derby

No/DrwFormHorseAge / WtJockey / TrainerOR
1 (5)12Acapulco (IRE) 28 <a href=bf.gif"> b c Galileo - Harasava3 9 - 0F M Berry A P O'Brien-
2 (15)131-71Admiralofthefleet (USA) 22 b c Danehill - Rafina3 9 - 0J A Heffernan A P O'Brien115
5 (1)7-12Arabian Gulf 23 b c Sadler's Wells - Wince3 9 - 0DOUBTFUL Sir Michael Stoute106
6 (10)021-1Archipenko (USA) 20 b c Kingmambo - Bound3 9 - 0M J Kinane A P O'Brien112
9 (13)1-32Eastern Anthem (IRE) 9 <a href=bf.gif"> b c Singspiel - Kazzia3 9 - 0K McEvoy Saeed bin Suroor101
10 (19)512-23Kid Mambo (USA) 21 <a href=bf.gif"> b c Lemon Drop Kid - Spring Pitch3 9 - 0J Fanning T G Mills104
13 (6)911Mahler 27 d.gif b c Galileo - Rainbow Goddess3 9 - 0P J Smullen A P O'Brien-
14 (12)010-17Petara Bay (IRE) 35 b c Peintre Celebre - Magnificient Style3 9 - 0Dane O'Neill T G Mills105
17 (9)212-11Soldier of Fortune (IRE) 23 d.gif b c Galileo - Affianced3 9 - 0W M Lordan A P O'Brien111
18 (18)5113-8Strategic Prince 28 b c Dansili - Ausherra3 9 - 0E Ahern P F I Cole117

Re: The Derby Vodafone Derby Stakes (Group 1) (Class 1) (3YO only) Winner £709,750

BOguaranteedRC.gif2.gif53.gif24.gif5.gif15.gif4.gif27.gif19.gif57.gif21.gif51.gif17.gif3.gif58.gif52.gif55.gif
7 Authorized4/5-----N/A
4 Aqaleem-----10.5/1
6 Archipenko8/1-9/1---N/A10.5/1
8 Eagle Mountain12/1-----N/A
17 Soldier of Fortune-----N/A
12 Lucarno16/120/1-----N/A
2 Admiralofthefleet16/1-20/1---N/A25/1
15 Regime-----N/A
18 Strategic Prince16/125/1-----29/1
16 Salford Mill20/125/1-----N/A
5 Arabian Gulf------N/A
19 Yellowstone33/1-----N/A
13 Mahler33/1-----N/A
3 Anton Chekhov40/150/1-50/1---N/A69/1
1 Acapulco-----79/1
14 Petara Bay50/1-----159
10 Kid Mambo-----N/A
9 Eastern Anthem-66/1---N/A189
11 Leander-----649

Re: The Derby Archipenko E/W 10/1 Collateral formlines makes this a real contender. Won a traditionally important Derby trial. Will he stay. Well with a dosage figures of DI 1.62 and CD 0.53 places him above the average figure for the last 10 years of 1.33. So with a sire like Kingmanbo there must be some doubts. But the distaff side is much better for stayers. Eagle Mountain E/W 14/1 Way of running suggests extra distance will bring about an improvement. DI of 1.12 and CD of 0.06 suggest he should have no problem staying based on the Chef-de-Race sires in his pedigree. But again his sire was the miler Rock of Gibraltar and again with staying potential on the distaff side of the pedigree.with the influence of Darshaan. Soldier of Fortune 30 on the exhanges for the win anf about 5.5 for the place This horse will stay forever and already a winner of a Group 2 race in France over 1 mile 3 furlongs on soft going. This one may be more a St Leger type. For students of time here are Dave Bellingham's ratings Eagle Mountain 114 Stragic Price 112 Admiralofthefleet 112 Soldier of Fortune 111 Archipenko 110 And here are Mark Nelson's Soldier of Fortune 75 Admiralofthefleet 74 Arabian Gulf 71 Authorized 68 Stategic Prince 68

Re: The Derby Cavelloman - Interesting that the 3 I first picked out as ew alternatives are the exact 3 you've put up there. Eagle Mountian has some very good speed ratings, Soldier of Fortune will be fine with the trip and Archipenko looks like the stable pick with the best jockey in the race on board (Mick Kinane). I'm trying to decide whether to back or leave Soldier Of Fortune and am also swayed towards some ew money on Regime. Already taken Authorized and happy to let that run, good for racing if Frankie's dream finally comes true, I really hope he does it but there is loads of ew value available due to the price of the fav. This little offer from Paddy Power is interesting: Frankie - Relax, Don’t Do It! Vodafone Derby Saturday 2nd June 4.20pm Money-Back Special Paddy Power will refund all losing single stakes if your horse finishes in front of the Frankie Dettori ridden Authorized but fails to win the race. Imagine if Authorized pulled up lame, they would be hammered by the returned stakes.

Re: The Derby. Im going to have a nibble on The Godolphin animal Eastern Anthem @ 100/1 Apparently this lightly raced horse has been running well on the practice track and I know Shiek Mo let frankie go to ride the Fav but I rate McEvoy a better rider currently as some of his last few rides have been awesome. They way he rode Resonate yesterday was brilliant they way he came from the back and push Lake Poet all the way.