** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

Twice in one day

Nade

No, not tommy tanks but MTT Tournie placings! Playing on the PKR network atm, not to get better but for the money and it is paying off not only on the cash tables but now also the MTT which some of you may know i am terrible at! Until today.... Entered a freeroll first of all and out of over 600 placed 40th for a massive 11cents!! :unsure So that was hardly worth it, however it did boost my confidence in entering a $5 tournie which had 200 entrants and the top 30paid out. In both these tournies i didn't alter my game play massively at all, essentially i just sat as tight as a cows arse until the opportunity came to limp with suited connectors or push all in. These were literally my only 2 plays throughout the entire tournoi, i didn't even steal one blind in the main tourn although i know it can be seen as essential to build your stack and i'm not denying that but i just haven't got the balls although i did take some blinds by raising all in in early position so noone called. There was one time when everyone folded to me in the SB and both of us in the blinds saw the flop which came 63J, i then put in a minimum raise of 300 which was pure cowardice but i wanted to try and make it cheap as possible for me if he re-raised, suffice to say he did... and when i folded he turned over 2pair! Yes my only (albeit completely lame) attempt at stealing a blind i ran into 2 pair so that totally put me off for the rest of the tourn! One of the first hands though i doubled up by limping with suited connectors and hit an open ender on the flop, i called a big raise with just the hope and bang i hit the turn to make my straight, we all-ind and over doubled my stack early on which helped massively. After this propelled me into the top 5 i still wasn't expecting to go far but i decided if there were no callers in front of me and i had a vgood hand i.e. suited cards over J's i'd push although i laid down a tonne of hands like KJ o/s and A10 o/s etc just hands i didn't want to be getting in sticky situations with i just wanted to play when i was certain of being ahead. The critical point came around the bubble where i had 4k left and the blinds were about 800. I was dealt pocket J's in late position and there was 1 raiser who raised to about 2k. This may surprise some if not all but i laid the hand down simply for 2 reasons: firstly: The guy who raised was the chip leader on the table and i see it every tournie - the guys with the big stacks hit all their hands and secondly: i had a full round to go before the blinds so wanted a few more to go to get in the money. As it turned out before i got to the next blind there were only 30 left so i was relieved that i was in the dough! Shortly after getting in the money i had pocket A's and pushed and got a couple of callers - they held up and i trippled up to over 6k. After this i doubled up from about 5k to 11k with some hand that i can't even remember but at this point and for a long while since the blinds became a few hundred i wasn't limping anymore it was all or nothing and it worked a treat! In the end, as it turned out just before the second break, i went out by pushing with pocket 10's in early position. The hand before i laid down AQ o/s and wasn't sure whether that was the right decision or not as that hand didn't go to the flop but when i saw the 10's i just felt i had to push my last 10k with a 2k blind about to kick me in the arse, unfortunately i got 2 callers, one the SB who was the chip leader in the tourn and i was knocked out by his pocket K's which was fair enough and i was out in 14th for a massive $8.50. I'm not really sure if i've stumbled upon a good strategy for my game here by only pushing when there are minimal people in the hand with great cards but i did it because i know that whenever in the past i've tried to see a lot of flops with decent-ish cards i always miss and so my stack dissapears. Essentially i'm always scared of going out in MTT so play as little hands as possible! Anyway, that was perhaps pointless but i'm celebrating and thanks to all who did say if i kept the faith it can be done! :cheers Though i'm not sure whether the 2 hrs of toil was worth a profit of only $3!! :unsure (Screenshot under 'May winnings' in poker tournys just to confirm!)

Re: Twice in one day Well done Nade, but you need to learn to lose the fear in order to get a good win. This seems like good experience for you so stick with it. Try not to analyze too much and do what feels right to you. You say its not worth it, but see it as your apprentice ship for bigger things.

Re: Twice in one day

Well done Nade, but you need to learn to lose the fear in order to get a good win. This seems like good experience for you so stick with it. Try not to analyze too much and do what feels right to you. You say its not worth it, but see it as your apprentice ship for bigger things.
Yeah the fear is the main problem, but for some reason i don't have this fear in cash games where i suppose there is a lot more to lose, so if i look at it that way then that might cure the problem! Cheers for the help all :ok

Re: Twice in one day The difference is you only get one chance in a tourney that is the frustration of tournament play, a mistake or a bad beat at cash and you can repair the damage. So your fear is understandable but you should put that out your mind.

Re: Twice in one day Just managed to finish 21st in the same tournie tonight! Around the same number of entrants, but the game went very differently. Instead of waiting for opportunities like last night they fell into my lap tonight and i trebled up within the first few hands so was chip leader for a short time! :unsure After this doubled up and was just gradually accumulating chips up to about 10k where i thought i'd just chill out, wait for the numbers to whittle down so i guarantee a money placing but still have plenty of dough left. This theory meant throwing away a lot of decent hands and ironically i threw away a lot of hands where i would have won and made a lot of money/chips and unfortunately there were a lot of stubborn buggers out there and before i knew it i had 5k left with the blinds at 1k praying for the last handful of people to go out so i could get into the money! I did just scrape through but was regretting being such a lame ass and just aiming for the money. Having placed in this tournie twice in 2 days it tells me my style is solid but again i need to rid that fear factor and just play the cards. I can't claim to have just won 2/2 tournies though as i've probably entered 4 in the last 2days so the winning % isn't so bad. Having started to play more STT lately though i really think they've helped in MTT strategy as the principle is the same - your tournament is your stack! My all round Hold'Em game is quickly improving :ok

Re: Twice in one day Made it 3 placings in 3 days now. About 35ppl left atm i'm just under average stack. Update in a bit :hope Well. That was a really good tourn. A freeroll for 500pts but with 495 players it wasn't easy at all; most people were playing really solid as ever which you don't see all the time in freerolls, so i am really pleased with 17th albeit only for $6.37 for 2 1/2 hrs work! Played a bit loose early on and looked in trouble at 1.2k but doubled up eventually a couple of times but then i thought 'here we go again' as i put someone with 1.5k all in, i had 6.5k with AQ they turn over A7 and hit their out - the 7 - on the river :( So that left me a bit fuming but it was right before the first break so i had time to chill out ;) However, after this my luck turned quite well for example AK all in with 8k v QQ 18k, i doubled up with an A on turn, not massively lucky as it was a coin flip but you need some of that luck! Later on near the end i went all in with A5s and A2s totally dominated but both times the pots managed to be split so i was living on the edge really then the last hand i pushed with about 11k in middle position with K9 as i didn't think i'd get a better hands as the blinds were 6k got two callers and big stack won with an A. Anyway, i'm surprised by this consistency in the MTT with 3 placings in decent tournies in the last 3 days but it shows that with tight solid play in the right places that i can get far. It's that little extra that's still missing near the end and i was still folding fairly big hands like JKo/s in the hope for better hands to play so maybe i should just play all the big hands late in tournies and hope for the best i don't know. The fear factor lessened in that game and i have to remind myself that most of the prizes in the money are little anyway, i suppose it's just the sense of winning that matters more then the money really. So in summary i suck late in tournies as i'm not sure what hands to play. :unsure

Re: Twice in one day Well, played a few MTT today but not really got near the money just middle of the road. The latest MTT though i played pretty adventurous throughout - raising with big hands no matter of my stack size where as i used to try to limp to preserve chips and this new style paid off and i was amongst the leaders throughout the tourn which started with just over 300. Anyway, top 40 get paid, about 60left when this happens... In about middle position i'm really hoping everyone after me folds so we go heads up but a guy goes all-in and i thought he had a middle pair so a straight race would ensue, it turned out i was dominated all over and went out. Blinds are now $600/$1200 Button is at seat 8 Seat 1: Mecho1 - $13935 Seat 2: nicotine - $4080 Seat 3: theone37 - $29170 Seat 4: kristoff1981 - $1800 Seat 5: 27Nade - $11720 Seat 6: Ask26 - $6905 Seat 7: in2minds - $11860 Seat 8: barneygamble - $2030 Seat 9: hammer1 - $11790 Seat 10: Wolfington - $7880 Moving Button to seat 9 Wolfington posts small blind ($600) Mecho1 posts big blind ($1200) Shuffling Deck Dealing Cards Dealing [Ah Qh] to 27Nade nicotine raises to $4080 (all-in) theone37: thought i saw you earlier egging him on lol Galwaysontilt22: hes in my school theone37 folds theone37: hello m8 in2minds: star feckin pupil though! lmao kristoff1981 folds 27Nade calls $4080 Ask26 folds in2minds folds barneygamble folds theone37: 1 of the cult lol hammer1 raises to $11790 (all-in) Wolfington folds Mecho1 folds Galwaysontilt22: you wish 27Nade calls $11720 (all-in) Returning $70 to hammer1 uncalled nicotine shows [Qc Qd] 27Nade shows [Ah Qh] hammer1 shows [Kd Ad] Dealing Flop [Jd 6c 4c] Dealing Turn [As] Dealing River [Ks] hammer1 has Two Pairs: Aces, Kings hammer1 wins $15280 from side pot #1 with: Two Pairs: Aces, Kings in2minds: typo one? hammer1 wins $14040 with: Two Pairs: Aces, Kings 27Nade: ouch Seat 1: Mecho1 - $12735 Seat 2: nicotine - $0 Seat 3: theone37 - $29170 Seat 4: kristoff1981 - $1800 Seat 5: 27Nade - $0 Seat 6: Ask26 - $6905 Seat 7: in2minds - $11860 Seat 8: barneygamble - $2030 Seat 9: hammer1 - $29390 Seat 10: Wolfington - $7280 End Of Hand #108936219 The question is was this a reckless call in the first place? And should i have laid down after hammer went all in? With my conservative style i would have laid this down but in this tourn i was always calling lower stacks' all-ins with decent hands and knocking them out but should i have just waited for a better opportunity? As i say i don't know what hands to play later on in MTT and any help on this would be really appreciated as i feel i'm a little bit of knowledge away from a final table. Cheers.

Re: Twice in one day Just finished 14th in a freeroll out of 423. The prize is a pitiful $1.70 but more importantly i saw off 409 ppl however missed out on that final table AGAIN :'( (PS hand in above post will go up tomoz) Really need help at the end game!

Re: Twice in one day I think, and I know it sounds corny, but you have to be a little brave. SOmetimes in Tournies things will fall for you and you'll have a major stack going into the latter stages...sometimes they won't. You have to steal though, you have to take advantage of the guy's like yourself and by that I mean people just wanting to get past the bubble and who are playing timidly, you really need to use your position too. I've played two this weekend on Virgin, one 2nd place and one limping into the money at 18th and I've quaded my BR there! :)

I think, and I know it sounds corny, but you have to be a little brave. SOmetimes in Tournies things will fall for you and you'll have a major stack going into the latter stages...sometimes they won't. You have to steal though, you have to take advantage of the guy's like yourself and by that I mean people just wanting to get past the bubble and who are playing timidly, you really need to use your position too. I've played two this weekend on Virgin, one 2nd place and one limping into the money at 18th and I've quaded my BR there! :)
Yeah i've made a few placings now in the last few days so i'm getting over that initial fear period and now i am focusing more on getting into the top 20 then just into the money and as you say bravery is something i need to work on! :) Cheers.

Re: Twice in one day FFS!! MTT can annoy me SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MUCH. Every tourn there are donks who play every hand and hit them all thus get huge stacks, yet they are plainly shit (bangs head on wall!!) Had AK, big raise PF, donk with big stack calls flop comes x10A pot raise (about 2k) he calls, turn comes J i push hoping he might be on a draw and fold. He calls and turns over 10J! God i hate these people. Why are there always muppets who hit every hand?!?!?

• 1 month later...

Re: Twice in one day About 2 days ago i really thought about taking tournaments seriously after speaking to a guy who says he's made 17k this year in tourns, he seems totally genuine and i've seen him on pokerstars do excellently. His success coupled with watching Heniek win $4.5k the other day really opened my eyes to the fact that with hard work MTT could be a viable money making option. So today i ordered Harrington's first book and immediately afterwards (strange coincidence) i made my first final table in a MTT (146runners) $2 entry, finishing 10th, i was short stack but final table all the same! only $5.84 winnings but it feels good to get that monkey off the back! I know it won't come easy of course and i'm still right at the bottom rung of the ladder, but i'm willing to learn at least and think i've got the basic foundations for good MTT play atm because i find myself often near the top with the leaders but because i don't have the knowledge and MTT know-how i fade and finish in the money if i'm lucky. So with some fine tuning in the way of Harrington and other things including subscribing to Marty Smith's e-mail subscribtion offering help on MTT offering vids etc. Feels a bit strange really after slagging MTT a few times, now i intend to take them seriously because after all nothings impossible and hopefully with some skill and good luck i may be challenging in the focus games more often in the future :hope ;)

but it feels good to get that monkey off the back!
Mate I thought you were already making progress.
including subscribing to Marty Smith's e-mail subscribtion offering help on MTT
Never heard of this service Nade but surely there are enough free resources available. What is it this Marty Smith does? :unsure FWIW if he watches you play an MTT listens to your point of view as playing then offers advice as to what you should be doing then I've done that for a few PLers already. Anyway I like your positive outlook mate as state of mind is very important (and often overlooked) before you start playing. :ok

What is it this Marty Smith does? :unsure FWIW if he watches you play an MTT listens to your point of view as playing then offers advice as to what you should be doing then I've done that for a few PLers already.
Marty Smith does many reports on poker games including SNG's and MTT's talking his way through tournaments he's in and explaining why he's making certain plays. More importantly he's made many videos explaining MTT strategies and these are what i'll be looking at. Anyway, just a random update on the poker journey.

Re: Twice in one day Meh to people who love AK and want to marry it! :@ Just gone out of 2 tournies to people calling my all in with AKo first time with QQ then next one was JJ, both mid-to-late in the tourns and i was super tight but they call with that and hit, pretty annoying :cry Onwards!......

and think i've got the basic foundations for good MTT play atm because i find myself often near the top with the leaders but because i don't have the knowledge and MTT know-how i fade and finish in the money if i'm lucky.
If your opening/deep stack game is good, then I suspect that you'll get more from Volume II (though both are essential reading)... Just one word of caution (and I'm NOT talking about you here, just a general observation) - the early chip leaders will seldom go on to win the tournament .... especially in low stakes games.... early, tight is right - but think about it - say you have a table of 10, which includes 6 bad (too loose) players and 4 good players. First hand (I'm exagerating a little to illustrate the point), 3 of the bad players end up all in with average holdings - one of them has to win (no split pots in this example), the other 2 are eliminated (you now have 4 good players on starting stack, a bad player on 3x starting stack and 3 bad players on average starting stack).... Hand 2 all 4 remaining bad players end up all in - one of the low stacks wins (you now have a bad player with 2x starting stack, a bad player with 4 x starting stack and 4 good players with starting stacks). Now the 2 big stack (bad) players end up all in against one another, the big stack wins - of the original 10 players, 5 are left - you have a bad player on 6x Starting stack and 4 good players on starting stacks - the early pacesetters will almost always be bad players.....the better players will come through later... don't chase to stay with the early pacesetters - they'll donk their chips off to you when the time is right....

Marty Smith does many reports on poker games including SNG's and MTT's talking his way through tournaments he's in and explaining why he's making certain plays. More importantly he's made many videos explaining MTT strategies and these are what i'll be looking at. Anyway, just a random update on the poker journey.
Never heard of him either, and am extremely dubious of paid for sub services on the internet ..... having said that, I've been trying to read more on 2plus2 recently and pokerxfactor seems to be spoken about in high regard and I am tempted...... Apparently you can upload an entire MTT tourney for comment....

Never heard of him either' date=' and am extremely dubious of paid for sub services on the internet ..... having said that, I've been trying to read more on 2plus2 recently and pokerxfactor seems to be spoken about in high regard and I am tempted...... Apparently you can upload an entire MTT tourney for comment....[/quote'] Haven't paid anyone for anything, it's all free and many of his vids are on youtube, maybe you should check him out ;) :tongue2 And i play the same in almost all MTT and that is tight, so it is very possible to be amongst the top by playing tight and not playing donk loose hands as i'm sure you know.

• 4 weeks later...

Re: Twice in one day So today i got my biggest winnings from a tournament $130 which is a big progression from being pleased about just winning $2. I've just tried to play as many MTT as i can, usually buy-ins between $1 and $5 on PKR as i have my biggest bankroll on PKR so there's not as much pressure to win. ATM i'm playing about 2/3 a day and cashing in a few, particularly recently, and following on from another thread i'll say how the progress has happened...

Originally posted by GaF: I'm interested in hearing a bit more about "The difference in my tourn play now to just a few weeks ago is massive, taken hard work though" - how have you improved your game? Have you read Harrington on Holdem yet? A while ago, your opinion was that "there is no skill in MTT's - it's pure luck" - I presume your opinion has changed? It's great to see the progress :ok today $130, tomorrow ........
As you know i've been working on it a lot so have built up mini foundations over the last couple of months, but i finally pushed on and purchased Harrington about a month ago and just this month i've made $200 from tournaments which compared to the odd $2 every now and again shows how much Harrington has helped. He's pointed out a lot of situations where i realised i was chucking chips away with being in bad position and playing too many hands when there's no need. It's hard to say exactly what i do differently in terms of hands as a lot can depend on the style of table as you know, but i mainly play premium hands now late in tournaments and look for opportunities to take blinds as well when i used to play a lot of hands as i thought that would give me more chance of doubling up, instead i think it's better to have a v strong hand which has a high chance of doubling up or at least not losing. I've got a lot clearer mind set when entering the latter stages of tournaments, but it's also come from experience from playing many tournaments. Have to say as well that i've been playing a lot of low buy in SNG's on Stars which has massively helped with working on my tournament mentality, i'm not as afraid of going out. Using PokerOffice to analyse my game as well it's made me tighten up and stop leaking chips with certain hands particularly mid cards connected or otherwise were a main problem. I said earlier in the thread that i was afraid of going out of the tournament so didn't feel i could play a decent game, but now i'm used to being in the tournament environment and feel tonnes more confident with being able to manage stacks of all sizes. For example in the tournament i just won $130 i was short stacked all the way - whenever i looked at the positions i was in the bottom quarter but stole blinds and pushed in favourable positions to accumulate chips, i sucked out a couple of times too to stay alive but you need a little bit of luck as ever. Playing more tournaments and reading up a lot has shown me that it's of course not all about luck, you need a little bit as in all games, but essentially Harrington has to take a lot of credit as the results before and after are so massively different. $130 isn't a lot compared to many winnings PL'ers get, but it's a stark improvement for me and hopefully it will carry on with more games and experience. :ok (Sorry for a long and lack of a structured response, i could sum up by saying playing a lot has helped, reading Harrington has helped massively, but crucially i know i wouldn't be where i am today without the help of PL'ers who are always discussing strategy which i take a keen interest in and playing with you guys more often has upped my game too so it's a big thanks to everyone and hopefully i can carry onwards and upwards! :clap) I need a drink :cheers

Re: Twice in one day Excellent post Nade. Credit, however goes to you. It takes a lot to accept that you may have been doing something wrong in MTT's and a lot of people before you have come on here, bitched and moaned and whined and paid not one jot of attention to the help and support they are being offered. The fact that you did pay attention and accepted that something needed to change speaks volumes. I would suggest that it is easier to sit and say 'you should have done this' than it is to have your game criticised. You deserved this result (never mind the cash involved) and now can go on from this and eventually get your first win under your belt. Well done. :notworthy

Guest gazza271

Re: Twice in one day Totally agree with Mr V's post :clap Well done Nade on the cash and I'm sure its the first of many PB's you will be setting yourself. :clap:clap:clap:clap:clap

Excellent post Nade. Credit, however goes to you. It takes a lot to accept that you may have been doing something wrong in MTT's and a lot of people before you have come on here, bitched and moaned and whined and paid not one jot of attention to the help and support they are being offered. The fact that you did pay attention and accepted that something needed to change speaks volumes. I would suggest that it is easier to sit and say 'you should have done this' than it is to have your game criticised. You deserved this result (never mind the cash involved) and now can go on from this and eventually get your first win under your belt. Well done. :notworthy
Cheers Mr V, wise words as ever. I suppose it's ultimately down to me in improving and wanting to improve, but seriously PL has taken my game up a fair few notches in all aspects - cash, SNG's, MTT people have given help and i've taken a gluttony of mental notes from the strategy pages as it's so good. A mate said the other day to me there's nothing wrong with hating to lose as it drives you on to become a better player, it's the inner drive which i can't explain but it makes me want to improve everyday and there's no better place imo then PL :ok

Totally agree with Mr V's post :clap Well done Nade on the cash and I'm sure its the first of many PB's you will be setting yourself. :clap:clap:clap:clap:clap
Cheers Gazza :ok Hopefully i can win one soon as that's two 3rd places now. Onwards!...

Re: Twice in one day I've only just caught up with this thread. First of all, well done! :clap Secondly, I'm sure you must realize this, but when you first came on here and (I won't try to be too kind here) were constantly moaning about bad beats, etc., a lot of us were thinking "Not another one!". You're not the first to do that, and you won't be the last! I'm sure a lot of us didn't hide the fact that we were rather frustrated by your attitude (as we saw it) at that time, but I'm glad we didn't dismiss you out of hand and tried to give you constructive advice, even if we were doubtful that you would take it. It would have been easy for you to look at the brickbats and ignore the advice and say "Well, sod them!", but you showed a lot of character and did take the advice on board. I'm proud of the fact that you think PL has helped to improve your game, but I'm even more proud of the fact that a lot of PLers thought it was worthwhile to try to help you. I don't want to embarrass you too much, but I think you should know that a lot of us feel pretty good about whatever small part we may have played in "turning you around". And I'm sure that before long you'll be wondering what all the fuss was about a $130 cash. :ok

Re: Twice in one day Cheers TQM and Slapdash. When i first came to the PL Poker section i didn't know anything about anyone and assumed this was just a spin off section from the sports betting and so didn't give it much respect, but i've realised that it's a serious place with very good players who dedicate a lot of time to poker. Re. the bad beat thing there was a serious time when i went through that bad period and a lot of people helped :clap it might have seemed like just moaning about bad beats but as people saw in my posts it was a genuine concern about my play etc. In the VERY early days i posted a lot of bollocks, the main one that stands out to me is the one about where the money goes in re-buy tournaments :rollin I didn't play tournaments back then and probably just felt like posting something :$. Anyway, as you say Slapdash it shows the good nature of PL'ers who are always helping eachother out and it's great to be part of it.:ok