AFL Football - Round 8 (Friday May 18 - Sunday May 20)

Re: AFL Football - Round 8 (Friday May 18 - Sunday May 20) Bjv...[if you don't know it's my pet spoirting hate by now, you should ;) ] ...I just have a HUGE problem with all sports around the world constantly fiddling with the rules in an obvious effort to get higher scoring games. Why? Because you're right...people equate scoring with excitement. For the life of me I can't understand why. I'm just as happy seeing a great defensive effort/tackle/spoil whatever than 100 easy goals with no pressure at all. ...gues that's just me. (And Ash...I hope...someone back me up here! :D)

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: AFL Football - Round 8 (Friday May 18 - Sunday May 20) Kangas/Carl wasn't that good a game IMO. I love the way Kangas have approached it this year - their new attacking style is football with brains in their particular case - but it wasn't their best one last night. They were let off the hook somewhat by a couple key injuries

I'm just as happy seeing a great defensive effort/tackle/spoil whatever than 100 easy goals with no pressure at all. ...gues that's just me. (And Ash...I hope...someone back me up here! :D)
and some shabby D from Carlton. Sadly, so long as we have insightful commentators such as the Ox, aspects like great defenders doing their stuff or attacks scrapping a goal against defensive structures will be seen as entertainment by far too few. Where's the giant rattle emoticon when I need it!

Re: AFL Football - Round 8 (Friday May 18 - Sunday May 20) The problem was it wasn't so much as defensive pressure but a mass of errors. Constantly turned the ball over, so many kicks into the 50 went to a loose defender. The ball rarely left the middle of the ground. The fact that there was no crowd made it worse, barely a sound.

Re: AFL Football - Round 8 (Friday May 18 - Sunday May 20) How's that Collingwood defense loking now, Bjv?? ;) Funny what happens when you play a team that can kick more than 5 goals a game..... lol!!!

Re: AFL Football - Round 8 (Friday May 18 - Sunday May 20)

The problem was it wasn't so much as defensive pressure but a mass of errors. Constantly turned the ball over' date=' so many kicks into the 50 went to a loose defender. The ball rarely left the middle of the ground. The fact that there was no crowd made it worse, barely a sound.[/quote'] Sorry to harp on this... ...but I think the question that bugs me is...who is sport for exactly?? (And yes, I begrudgingly know the answer :( ) Surely...SURELY, it's for the team and hard-core supporters?...It just has to be... ...unfortunately now I know it's about the money (which I realise ultimtely helps the clubs survive)... ...which means, tv right....gate sales etc. etc. Basically, sport is no longer about sport. It's casual entertainment for your average couldn't-really-care-less fan, and tv networks will do what they can to sell crap to the lazy ****ers... Nasty, but true. Oh well...clearly living 20 years behind my time!!...if the religio right (eventually) get their way and stop us from betting on it... ...ahhh...that's for another time and place! :lol On Melbourne/Eagles under 185.5 at BF...a bit of 1.80/1.70 but mostly 1.60. :hope

How's that Collingwood defense loking now, Bjv?? ;) Funny what happens when you play a team that can kick more than 5 goals a game..... lol!!!
Pies did ok today but got beat by a team that kicked straighter when shooting for goal, and a team that knows how to play Telstra Dome. You would swear the Bullies know which way the ball is going to bounce, so many times it bounced into their hands. Pies have around a 50% conversion rate for goal and while we got away with bad kicking the last 3 weeks, today it was the difference. Pies kicked themselves out of it, and bad kicking is bad football. Bulldogs had 35 shots to Pies 32, so if Pies defence is no good, then neither is the Bulldogs. Doggies always give us trouble, especially at the Dome, Doggies have won 18 of their last 23 games their now, so it is not only the Pies who will have trouble beating them there. On a brighter note, the Pies have unearthed another talented youngster in Tyson Goldsack who had a great game for his debut. Pies were not disgraced and sometimes you need to lose a game so you don't get too ahead of yourself, so this wasn't too bad a result for Collingwood. People forget how many youngsters the Pies have in their side, and they are only going to get better. :dude The Pies defence is fine Taza, we have played West Coast, Port, and Adelaide and the defence held up against them...They don't play grand finals at the Telstra Dome, thats why the Saints and Bulldogs won't win a Grand Final anytime soon. The Bulldogs defence let through 100+ points too, and that was with Collingwood kicking for goal like Stevie Wonder on crack :lol I will be interested in seeing your inside 50's stats on the game. I am sure Collingwood would have had more marks inside 50 than the Doggies, just Doggies kicked goals when they should have, and we kicked points or out of bounds when faced with same thing.

Re: AFL Football - Round 8 (Friday May 18 - Sunday May 20) Wanted to ask the question about the Channel 7 commentary. Is it just me, or is Mcaveney past it, or has his style become old fashioned? In between all the ads on 7 today I watched the whole game, and he was boning up at half time at how good the Pies were, then in the second half he almost orgasmed with excitement when the Bulldogs got in front. Between Macca and the ads I almost turned the TV off, and that was when Pies were 3 goals up. He is starting to make me cringe everytime he opens his mouth. Any thoughts? PS: Good luck with the Eagles/Demons bet Taza :hope

Wanted to ask the question about the Channel 7 commentary. Is it just me, or is Mcaveney past it, or has his style become old fashioned? In between all the ads on 7 today I watched the whole game, and he was boning up at half time at how good the Pies were, then in the second half he almost orgasmed with excitement when the Bulldogs got in front. Between Macca and the ads I almost turned the TV off, and that was when Pies were 3 goals up. He is starting to make me cringe everytime he opens his mouth. Any thoughts? PS: Good luck with the Eagles/Demons bet Taza :hope
Easy solution for that, put channel 7 on mute and get the radio on. Rex Hunt and the boys :ok

Easy solution for that' date=' put channel 7 on mute and get the radio on. Rex Hunt and the boys :ok[/quote'] Actually the game wasnt televised live was it so that wouldnt work. Channel 7 are a total discrace, they dont show live football on Friday night, nor do they on Sundays, their commentry team is awful as you have mentioned and their camera angles are terrible. They dont have alot of stats during the matches either which is annoying for someone like me who likes to keep an eye. Think we had this same sort of discussion about a month back in one of these threads and nothing has improved by the sounds. I dont find myself watching alot of footy these days, been to pretty much all Carltons games but havnt found myself watching hardly any games on tv. Bring back channel nine! :dude

Re: AFL Football - Round 8 (Friday May 18 - Sunday May 20) Wow, didn't know you guys didn't get friday nights live. There's no FTA coverage of Friday games up here in the northern states and so as a result we actually get it live on Foxtel Main Event. Now...what are the chances that West Coast can start shooting straighter?

Re: AFL Football - Round 8 (Friday May 18 - Sunday May 20) Collingwood appear to be doing the same thing as last year, promising so much in the first 10 games or so and sitting pretty on the ladder, then just choking in the second half and only having Draft Pick No.10 to show for it. No chance Pies will win or even make the Grand Final with teams like the Eagles in it, so probably a good result for the Pies today when ya look at the logic :ok

Collingwood appear to be doing the same thing as last year, promising so much in the first 10 games or so and sitting pretty on the ladder, then just choking in the second half and only having Draft Pick No.10 to show for it. No chance Pies will win or even make the Grand Final with teams like the Eagles in it, so probably a good result for the Pies today when ya look at the logic :ok
Pretty sure Pies finished 5th after home and away last year before finals, so hope we do choke like that again :rollin Pies havn't promised anything anyway, most tipsters had them down the bottom of the ladder, even some of our renowned tipsters in here had them bottom 4...Pies are playing good football and got beaten by a better side today, but still had their chances to win the game. I reckon may in here would rather watch the pies play compared to some of the other boring teams we currently have. Least the Dogs and Pies played attacking football :clap

Pretty sure Pies finished 5th after home and away last year before finals, so hope we do choke like that again :rollin Pies havn't promised anything anyway, most tipsters had them down the bottom of the ladder, even some of our renowned tipsters in here had them bottom 4...Pies are playing good football and got beaten by a better side today, but still had their chances to win the game. I reckon may in here would rather watch the pies play compared to some of the other boring teams we currently have. Least the Dogs and Pies played attacking football :clap
Perhaps thats where the Pies are going wrong, they probably would be better off near the bottom. Give me a Top 4 draft pick any day over pick number 11. Could be the difference between a superstar and a dudd

Re: AFL Football - Round 8 (Friday May 18 - Sunday May 20) Carlton is full of Number 1 draft picks and averaging over 120+ points a game against :rollin Maybe you should look for lower draft picks like the Pies, like Pick 5. I would rather have Scott Pendlebury than any of your number 1 draft picks :dude

Carlton is full of Number 1 draft picks and averaging over 120+ points a game :rollin Maybe you should look for lower draft picks like the Pies, like Pick 5. I would rather have Scott Pendlebury than any of your number 1 draft picks :dude
Thats where people go wrong with Carlton, they automatically think Carlton have a stack of high draft picks because they have been at the bottom for 5 years, but for 3 of those 5 years they were out of the draft and their highest pick was in the 40's. They had a shithouse lineup at the time too which compounded the situation even more, they are still paying for it now and will do for many years. Basically we are 3 years behind every other club Im a real passionate Carlton fan, forked out nearly $300 for a membership this year and go to all their games and have a great time, but its got to that stage again where the season is over and every win we have is another nail in the coffin. Dont get me wrong, i love being at the matches when they do win and celebrate as hard as the next guy, but on the drive home i just think to myself what was the point? We're in a league where your rewarded for failure and winning matches will effect our future. Having Pick 5 instead of Pick 11 could be the difference between a 15 year superstar player for your club comapred to a player you pick up later who may only last 2 years or so and be delisted. Until AFL sort this shit rule out, plus all the other things they have introduced in the last decade which have brought the league into a state of disrepair, i wont be able to take it seriously. Soccer Australia would be loving watching the monstrocity that is the modern AFL unfold the way it is. AFL better be careful..

Re: AFL Football - Round 8 (Friday May 18 - Sunday May 20) Yes Taza, the game needs to be about the game and not the dollar. The pursuit of it stuffs everything. Ludicrous that people should be paid so heavily for playing sport when half the people paying their wages are standing in dole ques come Monday morning. Can't add to what you've said bjv. Past it, orgasmed and cringe are three terms that come to mind while listening to Bruce. Poor Dennis. Paying attention to some things said during last qtr. Rocca misses a shot on the run and Ox says "one thing that hasn't improved over the years is kicking for goal". I'm not sure what set shot stats would show (I feel that's improved) but I disagree because ten, twenty years ago Rocca will not have had couple sets of arms closing across his space as quickly as happened. He's in the clear then in a flash has little time to kick it properly - so pressure skills are greater now. Then next play Higgins snaps one with heat all around him, 3.5 each side. For a youngster one of the best converters under duress I've ever seen. Mind you the Ox gets one back on me with Gias set shot effort :D. Dennis brings up the name Boyd. :loon Hmm, Boyd? ... Boyd?, yeah heard of him I think? :unsure I was thinking this just a few weeks ago that I can't think of a player who's been so good so often that no one knows about - never seems to get a mention anywhere. Kerr reported. Looks like Ottens a chance now. :cow Well Harvey maybe. Wish I took the 301.00 about Bartel though, I did mean to. :\

Re: AFL Football - Round 8 (Friday May 18 - Sunday May 20) Had to laugh last week with channel 7 talking about Fevola when he was having a bit of a quiet match. Tim Watson comments by saying they should put Fevola on the ball to get him into the game a bit more, then the next passage of play the Blues go forward and Fevola takes a mark then goals. Watson then says "Thats what Fev needs to do, stay up forward and kick goals". They are a shambles :lol

Re: AFL Football - Round 8 (Friday May 18 - Sunday May 20) Final results for the Round:

Round 8

¼

½

¾

FT

¼

½

¾

FT

Adelaide

Richmond

Geelong

Fremantle

Essendon

Brisbane Lions

Hawthorn

St. Kilda

Kangaroos

Carlton

Sydney

Port Adelaide

W. Bulldogs

Collingwood

West Coast

Melbourne

Re: AFL Football - Round 8 (Friday May 18 - Sunday May 20) Oh!, by the way, I hope people don't think my comments were in bad taste for picking on Collingwood and Port players for being over paid. I'm sure other clubs have total dole bludger supporters also - well, maybe one or two. :unsure :unsure

Oh!' date=' by the way, I hope people don't think my comments were in bad taste for picking on Collingwood and Port players for being over paid. I'm sure other clubs have total dole bludger supporters also - well, maybe one or two. :unsure :unsure[/quote'] I actually cringe when they show the Collingwood cheer squad on TV Ash ... They are the biggest bunch of nuff nuffs you will ever see, and good looking too :rollin Actually if you compare the AFL footballer to overseas sports then they are not really in the high pay bracket when you think of the English Premier League, only a handful of players in AFL are on really big dollars. West Coast will still win the flag anyways, so nothing else really matters...they will be top 4, get a home grand final, get a home preliminary final, and Collingwood or Sydney would be the only team that could beat them in Perth, maybe Hawks. So for mine, Eagles waltz into the grand Final and will be primed to win with the best Ruck/Midfield combination in the league.

Re: AFL Football - Round 8 (Friday May 18 - Sunday May 20) I'm not comparing AFL with OS sports bjv. $150,000 or $25 mill, it's still out of whack compared to everyday people whose life in most cases is about juggling bills then digging deeper and deeper all the time to pay for what is meant to be sport. What's with Joffas do? A bad look, that one.

Re: AFL Football - Round 8 (Friday May 18 - Sunday May 20) What a strange weekend of football. It’s difficult to gauge whether to disregard much of what happened as an anomaly or unleash the daggers on teams that aren’t living up to expectations. Adelaide coach has the talent at his disposal to win a premiership, but he has brainwashed them to such an extent that I don’t think they can win. They don’t need to play no-risk football to overcome an under-achieving minnow of the competition. Yet they nearly handed Richmond an unlikely victory and slit their own throat in the process. I’m losing my faith in the Crows. The match at the MCG was an intriguing affair. St.Kilda lost Gram and X.Clarke before the bounce robbing them of much needed run. But Hawthorn were gun shy after being torn apart by Gehrig, Riewoldt, Milne and Koschitzke constantly in the last 4 years. I could understand both teams playing a spare man in defence, but when the Saints put 2 back at the start of the second quarter, it was going to be a long night. The Saints constantly found a loose man but couldn’t penetrate the forward 50, whilst the Hawks were more daring bringing the ball down, but couldn’t convert. The game inevitably broke open midway through the third, and it was Hawthorn’s running power that got them over the line. It was only a matter of time before the Eagles flexed their muscles and the Demons felt their full force. Conversion was the only factor that would disappoint the Eagles. Any confidence the Demons had pre-game was snuffed out 10 minutes in. They were outplayed from the start and were lucky not to lose my more.

Thumbs Up

Bulldogs – Was I watching a replay of last year’s elimination final again today? Sydney – A clinical display over a premiership threat. Brad Sewell – Scalp No.8, Nick Dal Santo.

Thumbs Down

Rod Butterss – Why did you sack Grant Thomas for, again? Neale Daniher – It’s time. Brisbane – Do or die, next week.

Summary

My Tips – 7/8 Score Predictor – 7/8 Suggested Bets – 1/3 (Will do better)

Re: AFL Football - Round 8 (Friday May 18 - Sunday May 20) Great work as always Crisp and your input in here is first rate :ok Touching on the 2 late withdrawals for the Saints in Gram and Clarke. The club knew they would not be playing yet left punters in the dark. I picked the Saints based on previous meetings between the two teams, if I had know those two may have been out then I may have tipped the Hawks. Now that is only tipping...What about the punters having big dollars on the Saints to win and finding out before the game that 2 players are going to be out. Something needs to be done to prevent this from happening...The AFL has a duty of card to punters to provide the relevant details when bets are made. Teams should be announced the morning of a game and a $100,000 fine opposed to any team that makes a late change without reasonable cause. The teams know who is going to play, so name that team and make it fair for punters. The AFL and Bookies, someone is going to be sued soon because of this, and rightfully so.

Great work as always Crisp and your input in here is first rate :ok Touching on the 2 late withdrawals for the Saints in Gram and Clarke. The club knew they would not be playing yet left punters in the dark. I picked the Saints based on previous meetings between the two teams, if I had know those two may have been out then I may have tipped the Hawks. Now that is only tipping...What about the punters having big dollars on the Saints to win and finding out before the game that 2 players are going to be out. Something needs to be done to prevent this from happening...The AFL has a duty of card to punters to provide the relevant details when bets are made. Teams should be announced the morning of a game and a $100,000 fine opposed to any team that makes a late change without reasonable cause. The teams know who is going to play, so name that team and make it fair for punters. The AFL and Bookies, someone is going to be sued soon because of this, and rightfully so.
Beejayville, I am not sure any sports organisation or team in the world owe anything to punters. It's not akin to stock-exchange listed company owing information to investors. Had your argument been for the FANS who pay to watch these overpaid, overhyped, overrated stars (not referring to AFL in particular) then I would have been with you. Having said that, US teams relase injury news as early as possible. But, it's not because they are worried about punters. This weekend European soccer games have got big guns have such high odds. They are expected to play second string teams but nothing is confirmed. The key is to exploit the information. - The question is how much does absence of two starters affect the fortunes of a footy team? - The more important question is how much did the odds change when the news came out. Or nothing changed? Maybe some books reacted while others didn't. I would be interested in knowing what others think about this issue. But, such a thing can be turned in your favor if one reacts at the right time.

Re: AFL Football - Round 8 (Friday May 18 - Sunday May 20) Bit of a stat review from the week... (why not, I'm bored! :D) Collingwood 56 I50's to Doggies 53...which is just about what I was expecting. Any team failing to limit the Dogs to West Coast 1.30!!!! MADNESS!!! Let's all hope for a clear weekend of weather and jump on the Kanga's to kick the highest score...maybe ever! :D Onre of the biggest surprises was indeed Richmond fighting it right out. Stats-wise they were good...45-50 I'50's...30-33 clearances...9 less shots I know, but still... ...I'll be all over them + the points this week v. the Bombers!! I'm sure they'll drift further with Richo being out. Actually looks a very good betting week ahead... PS> If you didn't know, Thomas is being sued by Butterss over a "loan" of (how much?)...decent amount anyway...a million or 2. Purely personal reason for the sacking.... ...Whispers are that Riewoldt isn't happy about it at all and is a huge chance to leave at the end of the year, this being the last year of his contract.