** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

MTT - Bit of a joke?

Nade

In my opinion MTT are pretty pointless to play in. NL Hold'em we're talking here :). With there being hundreds of people there are a lot of different characters out there on the world wide web. 'Kamikaze' to me sums up a lot of the people who go all-in virtually with everyhand. Now, of course a lot will go out straight away, however, a lot will win a couple of all-ins and build a big stack then sit on it. The problems with the 'kamikazes' is if they strike lucky v u in an all-in you're out straight away, but if you're like me you want to be in for the long-haul and so will play pretty tight early on. Bringing me to my second point. If you're like me and play fairly tight then this means you wait for hands, but a good hand is rare to come by, and particularly rare is a hand which you feel will beat a 'kamikaze' because for all you know he could have bullets the one time you call them. This method means you more often then not will have more or less the same stack you started with but there will be an ocean's gap which has developed from you to the top players in the tourn and so the money slots are a distant dream. In summary MTT imho are all about getting hands (sounds obvious, right?) i.e. you need to be extremely lucky to get far in the tourn by getting a lot of decent hands as it's pretty impossible to bluff and if you stay tight you get cut adrift. I rarely play MTT these days but used to and thought i'd get your thoughts on these tournaments - am i missing something really obvious to get far in these tourns? The highest i got was 10th once past about 500players (probably through luck rather then judgment, i can't remember) but now my games totally adjusted to STT and mainly cash games - Which i consistently win at. Do you guys consistently get wins in MTT? If so :notworthy

Re: MTT - Bit of a joke? Your edge (and therefore profit) will never be greater than when you are playing against kamikaze players going all in every hand ...... you just need to make sure you adjust your game correctly to beat the people throwing their money away..... You have the maniacs go up against one another early on .....one of them will win, the rest will get knowcked out. That means you have a large stack who doesn't know how to play the game. Blinds are still low - you still have time in your stack ...... the idiot who doesn't know how to play the game will very seldom win .... you just need to play correctly against him (i.e. patiently and without bluffing)...... I do significantly better in MTTs than I do in cash games or STTs. I dont think MTTs are all about getting hands - for me they are all about stack management and adjusting your "gear" accordingly ..... the cards are far less important than in cash games......

as it's pretty impossible to bluff
That's easy then - dont do it!!! Until later in the tournament when you can get away with it!! Don't bluff someone who will call with Ace high!!!!

Re: MTT - Bit of a joke?

I do significantly better in MTTs than I do in cash games or STTs. I dont think MTTs are all about getting hands - for me they are all about stack management and adjusting your "gear" accordingly ..... the cards are far less important than in cash games......
That's very interesting you see hands as less important in MTT as for me i can't see how you advance far without getting good hands consistently, yet in cash games i see it as less important to have hands as bluffing at the right time pays dividends, but also you can wait for a hand and it won't cost you a large proportion of your stack as the blinds don't increase. I guess it must be about our style of play - yours is suited to MTT and mine is more suited to the cash game, whyever that is :).

I dont think MTTs are all about getting hands - for me they are all about stack management and adjusting your "gear" accordingly ..... the cards are far less important than in cash games......
Pretty much sums up online MTT play :ok It also depends on the site IMO, I find on Party/FullTilt that there are a lot more maniacs, but Mansion/Mermaid for example seem to have more conservative players.

I dont think MTTs are all about getting hands - for me they are all about stack management and adjusting your "gear" accordingly ..... the cards are far less important than in cash games......
i need to re-read harrington 1 through 3 again. i still only play the cards.

Re: MTT - Bit of a joke? I see MTT’s as three games in one:

The first Game; you play the cards and try and see as many hands as possible for as cheaply as possible, if you do get any premium hands then more often than not your going to get a caller, there’s a reasonable amount of luck in the first game but to get through to the second game your going to need to hit something.

Second Game: You can finally get down to playing some poker, blinds are getting big enough to be worth stealing and your position gets far more important. There will still be a healthy number of Kamikazees about and you could get called by someone holding just about anything. It now either about surviving until the money or if your stacked then taking advantage of the players trying to survive.

Third Game: You are in the money and should be surrounded by actual players but of course there will still be some luckies hanging around. It’s all about position now not to mention having a bit of balls. I have my own tactics for this part of the game but I never give up, I’ve come back from 6000 chips in the final 20 to actually winning the tourney.

I’ve played 3 MTT’s over the last week, 2 with 400 plus players and one with 1000. I’ve won one, had a 4th and came 69th (in the money) on the 1000’er. I like to think it’s not luck. I also have screen shots should anyone think I’m a big fat fibber.