Cheating

Vilamoura04

Hello Only just started getting into poker recently and just started picking up some wins in small stakes single and multi table tournaments. Cant get the hang of cash tables though and will just steer clear i think. Reading some of the threads on PL have been great for helping me out so thanks to everyone on here. The abbreviations and jargon still confuse me no end though and I work in contract law. Anyway Wondering if anyone knows anything about how much cheating goes on online. I havent seen any yet but surely its not beyond the wit of someone to crack software to gain a serious advantage? Am I being naive to think it doesnt happen?

Re: Cheating

Certainly people will play together on an STT or a cash table to try and take advantage. You can normally tell who these people are. Not sure it is a major problem though.
I share Staffy's view on this... some people will always try and play together, but it won't be a major advantage for them... and you can easily spot it :ok

Re: Cheating I'm sure some level of collusion as staffy described does occur. Hacking of the software is unlikely though. All adverts you see on the net for cheat programmes which allow you to see your opponents hole cards are total BS. If you are a solid, tight aggressive player, any cheating is not at a level serious enough to prevent you being a long-term winner. I know this for a fact, having made thousands of dollars in the past 3 years. Occasionally I have left a table where I feel uncomfortable about 2 or 3 players, but nothing more than that is required. The "online poker is rigged" rants you see on some forums are usually sour grapes from poor players.

Re: Cheating You might notice people playing through MSN mate, or other instant messaging if for instance. 3 way pot, player 1 raises, you call, player 3 re-raises and then player 1 re-raises again to get you out the pot, then 3 just folds. the patterns will normally be so obvious to you, you'll spot it

Re: Cheating Also they have software that detects "strange" betting patterns, people folding pots that they blatently shouldn't etc. software can spot "connections" between people, and will prevent them from playin on the same tables