** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

Ante Post bets - updated for Jumps 07/08

Re: Ante Post bets My other antepost for the National is PEARLY JACK @ 120.0 who will need to go up in the weights a bit to make the National cut, but will be trained for the race which will help. he looks progressive on recent form and shouldnt have too much trouble adding to his recent wins. I expect him to get in. There appears to be a discrepancy between his price and that of BOTHAR NA, who beat him 2 lengths into winning the Kerry National. PJ was noted as having mucus on his return and his jockey was 2lb overweight. He battled well to win over 3m, a run that suggested he will get further, although the extra 1 1/2 miles of the National is an unknown. A big price nonetheless. Others I am considering at this stage include McKELVEY @ 65.0 , KELAMI @ 140.0 and SIR REMBRANDT @ 50.0

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Ante Post bets Boylesports.com Gold cup at Cheltenham on Sat 9th Dec sees a decent field line up. I have been waiting to see where Jonjo placed HASTY PRINCE since its run at Ascot when an eye catching running on 2nd behind demi beau. That distance was clearly shorter than the horse can get & no surprise if it lines up here to tackle 2m 5f. Its jumping has previously been a let down but at ascot it jumped much better. Hopefully AP will be on it. have 5pts ew @ 25/1 Ladbrokes

Re: Ante Post bets

Boylesports.com Gold cup at Cheltenham on Sat 9th Dec sees a decent field line up. I have been waiting to see where Jonjo placed HASTY PRINCE since its run at Ascot when an eye catching running on 2nd behind demi beau. That distance was clearly shorter than the horse can get & no surprise if it lines up here to tackle 2m 5f. Its jumping has previously been a let down but at ascot it jumped much better. Hopefully AP will be on it. have 5pts ew @ 25/1 Ladbrokes
GL Bowles, think it must have a great chance:ok My 5pts EW is going on KALCA MOME, trained by Philip Hobbs. Strictly on form, this has a bit to find but low weight, coupled with step up in trip (major plus for me) could see this horse get into the frame at a generally available 33/1. Race fit too.:hope

• 2 weeks later...

Re: Ante Post bets Hi Guys, My bets are £2 win Monkerhostin the King George at 950 on Betfair. I think this is a great bet as Pricewise has tipped it and also I won on him last season when he beat Kauto Star early season. Tremendous value to beat the fav who is MASSIVELY over-rated. The fav cannot jump at speed and his trainer cannot train Gold Cup winners.

Early Cheltenham fancies: RSA Hurdle - Aran Concerto (20/1 Coral) Noel Meade says this could be the best horse he has trained after just 1 NHF win All EW.
Cheltenham Festival RSA Hurdle Aran Concerto 25/1 (ladbrokes and Bet365) Russp has allready mentioned this and i'm having my first major anti post plunge on it. It runs at Navan on Sunday in a grade 2 Novice hurdle which if it wins will probally be Favourite for this race at around 5/1. Here is what Noel Meade said about this horse after he hacked up on his Bumper debut at Naas Three weeks ago:- "I probably shouldn't say it, but this horse just could be the best I've had. I think he has the potential to be a Gold Cup horse one day. We'll just have to wait and see how he develops and I'd imagine he is more likely to run over hurdles than go for a winner’s bumper. He will be going chasing next season" - [trainer]
Royal & Sun Alliance Hurdle. 15pts @ 25/1 Ladbrokes Aran Concerto. Liked Russ & Socky's thoughts on this & joined in with the bet.
:cow Wins impressively again today. Now down to 5/1 for Cheltenham. Only 3 of us on the Aran Concerto bandwagon? Let's just hope it gets to the Festival in A1 condition:hope :hope :hope :hope

Re: Ante Post bets What is going on with Yes Sir and the ante post punt on it winning the King George? Racing Post reported Bowen being bullish about it's hopes saying it had a great chance and was value at 33-1, I nearly backed it but decided to wait. Others steamed in backing it into around 20-1 and then Bowen decides it's not running in the King George. He also states he never said it was a definite runner in that race and has not made comments about it's chances. The punters have been screwed over, steaming in to back what looks like a great value ew bet when it was not a certainty to even run. Have Bowen and Racing Post got their wires crossed somewhere, breakdown in communications???

Re: Ante Post bets Champion Hurdle betting could be turned upside down after the christmas hurdle at Kempton on Boxing Day. I'll take the 20/1 EW @ Stan James on Noble Request before Tuesdays race. The horse is a spring horse & anything it does on Tuesday will bring it on again for Cheltenham. I know Hobbs likes the horse & it will be a serious contender come March. Monkerhostin is my idea of the horse that can be placed in the King George on Tuesday, currently 14/1 so up against a 4/7 shot in KAuto star doesnt offer great value. A small ew at those odds. RalphMalph posted up 950.0 on Betfair a few weeks ago, he must be laughing!!

Re: Ante Post bets [Monkerhostin is my idea of the horse that can be placed in the King George on Tuesday, currently 14/1 so up against a 4/7 shot in KAuto star doesnt offer great value. A small ew at those odds. RalphMalph posted up 950.0 on Betfair a few weeks ago, he must be laughing!! I've looked in the betting history on Betfair & the highest Monkerhostin has been backed at is 21.0 & to lay 22.0. However he was available at 95.0 for the Gold Cup & I'm wondering if Ralph's added a 0 by accident & got the wrong race? Certainly if he was on at 950.0 there would be a tidy laying off situation available. Merry Xmas Rio.

Re: Ante Post bets I added to my National bets yesterday with a wager on Far From Trouble @ 27.0. He caught my eye in the irish equivalent last year when he was travelling well before falling. You couldnt convincly say he would have taken the race but mcCoy hadnt pushed the button on him and im sure there was some left in the tank. Stamina isnt an issue having placed at Cheltenham over 4m 1f, which confirms his class too. He begins the season off a decent rating, which assuming he doesnt rack up a sequence this season will ensure he gets into the national with a good racing weight, im looking at below 11 stone preferably, which is looking on the cards at the moment. I'll be keeping an eye on OSSMOSES tomorrow with a view to backing him if he looks in decent shape. Ironically I wouldnt want him winning the race for handicapping reasons but hopefully he'll run a solid race. No sign this season of MCKELVEY, who also interests me

4 6Itsmyboy (IRE) 10-8 G Supple D Pipe 610/1
held up last, headway 3 out, switched left and shaken up approaching 2 out, no impression after opened 8/1 touched 7/1
4th today, never tried an inch under Gerry Supple. Had an easy 1st race back & gerry only used the whip once on the horse. Qualifies for the Pertemps hurdle now at the festival. As soon as prices come out, i'll be on this Cheltenham course winner. :ok

Champion Hurdle betting could be turned upside down after the christmas hurdle at Kempton on Boxing Day. I'll take the 20/1 EW @ Stan James on Noble Request before Tuesdays race. The horse is a spring horse & anything it does on Tuesday will bring it on again for Cheltenham. I know Hobbs likes the horse & it will be a serious contender come March.
Noble ran well enough for me today, beat the fav Straw Bear easily enough but was no match for Jazz Messenger which could prove that the irish will have another strong hand at Cheltenham this year.

Re: Ante Post bets 16-1 available on The Listener with Ladbrokes for the Gold Cup. Didn't realise I have already backed Star De Mohaison at 14's and that's out for the season, thought i'd left it alone. As there is a formline with these horses I think i'll have some of that 16-1, gave War Of Attrition and Beef Or Salmon a real beating today. I know Cheltenham is a totally different prospect but it's jumping was excellent today, I was impressed. :ok

• 2 weeks later...

Cheltenham Festival Supreme Nov Hrdle Roll Along 25/1 Ladbrokes - still on track after a decent 3rd in hot race latest. Press Gang 25/1 Ladbrokes - placed in last years bumper when 2nd to Hairy Molly, always worth following those placed in that race. Still not been seen out yet, now available at big odds, so not sure of participation? Arkle Afsoun 25/1 Bluesq - Fell latest when reverted back to hurdles at kempton. Hope to see it take its place. Champion Hurdle Detroit City 8/1 Ladbrokes - now as low as 9/4 fav after unbeaten run R & SA Hurdle Wichita Lineman 14/1 Coral won nice race LTO & spot on for the festival. Pepperoni Pete 25/1 Stan James flopped last time out, hopefully Nicholls will get it right? Gold Cup State of Play 50/1 EW Paddy Power - as low as 16/1 after winning the Hennessey easily.
Champion Hurdle betting could be turned upside down after the christmas hurdle at Kempton on Boxing Day. I'll take the 20/1 EW @ Stan James on Noble Request before Tuesdays race. The horse is a spring horse & anything it does on Tuesday will bring it on again for Cheltenham. I know Hobbs likes the horse & it will be a serious contender come March. Ran well to be 2nd to Jazz Messenger in christmas hurdle at kempton with straw bear behind. still consider this as a live contender come March.
4 6:showProfile('horse'' date=''75724')'>Itsmyboy (IRE) 10-8 :showProfile('jockey','182')'>G Supple :showProfile('trainer','4254')'>D Pipe 610/1
held up last, headway 3 out, switched left and shaken up approaching 2 out, no impression after opened 8/1 touched 7/1
4th today, never tried an inch under Gerry Supple. Had an easy 1st race back & gerry only used the whip once on the horse. Qualifies for the Pertemps hurdle now at the festival. As soon as prices come out, i'll be on this Cheltenham course winner. hope this gets in the race as i will be on it!!
updated in RED my original bets added the following this week: Arkle - My Way de Solzen 11.5 Betfair Triumph - Goodbye Simon 13.5 Betfair Brit Properties NovH - Hairy Molly 28.0 Betfair :ok

I've never really done any AntePost betting before as I'm still fairly new to it all. But My Way at 11.5 for the Arkle, after the way it jumped last time, looks a very good bet. Gonna get on this also :ok
Fair Along is the fav & it depends on whether Alan King wants to take it on again as MWDS is also entered for the RyanAir chase. Fair Along beat it at Sandown but I think King could overturn that performance. Plus it would give King back to back Arkles after Voy per ustedes won last year:ok

Fair Along is the fav & it depends on whether Alan King wants to take it on again as MWDS is also entered for the RyanAir chase. Fair Along beat it at Sandown but I think King could overturn that performance. Plus it would give King back to back Arkles after Voy per ustedes won last year:ok
Well Fair Along looks good, but 11.5 seems big for MWDS. I was really impressed with its run the other week, jumped so well. Looks good mate. Will follow with a few quid at least :D

Re: Ante Post bets There was an article in Racing Post saying he is going to enter it for the Royal Sun Alliance Chase. I fancy My Way De Solzen for whatever race it runs in, really rate it but i'd wait a while to see what it's likely to run in.

MY WAY DE SOLZEN will be given an entry for the Royal & SunAlliance Chase at the Cheltenham Festival after a change of heart from trainer Alan King.
Above taken from RP site. Best price with bookies is 10-1 with Ladbrokes for Arkle. 7-2 for the Ryanair Chase. No prices available for Royal and SunAlliance chase as of yet with all major bookies. :ok

• 3 weeks later...

Tip Detail
Sport Horse Racing
Event 2:35 Chel (Arkle )
Selection Faasel (Each-Way)
Strength 2/10
Date 13/03/2007
Bookmaker/Price Bet365 @ 34.00 (Back)
Reasoning Won its chase debut to go with having a successful Hurdling career (placing in 12 of 15 entries) and already proven to handle the Cheltenham course placing twice in three events. Only expecting for a place at the price of 33/1 but should really be strong enough to battle on the day of the event. Very smart by having finished in all 28 competitions -flat (13) and national hunt (15) events it ran.

4 6:showProfile('horse'' date=''75724')'>Itsmyboy (IRE) 10-8 :showProfile('jockey','182')'>G Supple :showProfile('trainer','4254')'>D Pipe 610/1
4th today, never tried an inch under Gerry Supple. Had an easy 1st race back & gerry only used the whip once on the horse. Qualifies for the Pertemps hurdle now at the festival. As soon as prices come out, i'll be on this Cheltenham course winner. :ok
updated in RED my original bets added the following this week: Arkle - My Way de Solzen 11.5 Betfair Triumph - Goodbye Simon 13.5 Betfair Brit Properties NovH - Hairy Molly 28.0 Betfair :ok
2 of my Cheltenham fancies run today :hope Itsmyboy @ Southwell Goodbye Simon @ Cheltenham.

Re: Ante Post bets nice race from Goodbye Simon keeps it in the picture for the triumph - best priced 14's. itsmyboy ran how i thought it would as it needs further. Look out for it in the pertemps. I also forgot i had Wichita lineman at 14's (see earlier posts) for the R&SA hurdle - now 7's.

While I'm at it I'll put my ante-post bets in this thread, the full resoning is in my own thread but if there in here I can keep track of them as well. Gold Cup. 15pts @ 75.0 Betfair Beef or Salmon. I was hoping he'd run well with a view to laying this off & after he beat War of Attrition things were going ok but the distant second to Kauto Star has seen the price go out again. Hopefully he'll win the Lexus in some style again. Ladbroke World Hurdle. 20pts @ 20.0 Betfair Asian Maze. I think she would only have Black Jack Ketchum to beat here unless Hardy Eustace goes for this instead of the Champion, nothing else worries me at this time. Grand National. 15pts @ 40/1 VCBet Sir Rembrandt. Like AK I was disappointed when he was pulled out of last years race the night before. He has the right profile for this & is a Spring horse, if he gets in with the same sort of rating as last year he should go well. Royal & Sun Alliance Hurdle. 15pts @ 25/1 Ladbrokes Aran Concerto. Liked Russ & Socky's thoughts on this & joined in with the bet. Champion Hurdle. 20pts @ 10.0 Betfair Iktitaf. The older brigade are there to be shot at. Straw Bear won well yesterday & Iktitaf has good winning form over that one from last season. Come back from injury well with a win in the Irish Ces' & three over hurdles including a grade 1 LTO with Brave Inca behind. Rio.
A few thoughts after the Irsh Champion hurdle. Iktitaf finished tailed off & is on the drift out to a general 16/1. He's around 25/1 on Betfair & was a little longer but has been nibbled at at around 30's. Noel Meade is saying the horse may have had an infection, certainly the run was too bad to be true. Asian Maze did well to finish as close as she did having been well behind in the back straight, this must surely have convinced connections to aim for the World hurdle. She is around 10/1 & she too has been backed from around 12's. Elsewhere I'm stilling hoping for a big run from Beef or Salmon in the Irish Hennessy on Feb 10th. Aran Concerto is a general 3/1 chance for the Ballymore Properties (R&SA) hurdle & is entered in a grade 1 novice hurdle at Leopardstown also on Feb 10th. Sir Rembrandt is still 40/1 for the National & should get in off a racing weight. Bets added Amaretto Rose 20pts @ 7/1 Sporting Odds, Supreme Novices. She is unbeaten in three bumpers & two novice hurdles including a grade 2 at Haydock LTO. The form looks solid, she goes on any ground & will get the mares allowence. Held in high regard by connections & the trainer has an excellent record at Cheltenham. Purple Moon 15pts @ 25/1 Ladbrokes, Triumph hurdle. Bought out of Sir Michael Stoutes for a small fortune. Dotted up in a weak race at Musselburgh & is expected to return there for the Triumph trial on Sunday. Should he win there I expect the odds to at least halve. Supreme Builder 15pts @ 33/1 Coral, Champion Bumper. Subject of a good write up in the stable talk column in the Raceform Update a few weeks ago. Seventh on his only run to date in the Punchestown Champion Bumper, beaten only 8l. Still qualified to run in NHF races he's been put away to let him grow & is expected to have one run before heading to Cheltenham. Rio.

Re: Ante Post bets Exotic Dancer - Grand National @ 210 Betfair Entries came out yesterday and to my delight Exotic Dancer is entered, although a long way away at 210 currently on betfair is def worth a few quid. Has been very impressive around Cheltenham this year and we know he can jump of course the trip would be a big factor but early thoughts he has the abilty to run a big race if he did run in April. Price shore to shorten up in the future.

Supreme Builder 15pts @ 33/1 Coral, Champion Bumper. Subject of a good write up in the stable talk column in the Raceform Update a few weeks ago. Seventh on his only run to date in the Punchestown Champion Bumper, beaten only 8l. Still qualified to run in NHF races he's been put away to let him grow & is expected to have one run before heading to Cheltenham. Rio.
Rio, this was carl's mate Tez's one to follow this year (I had a chat with him at the last PL meet up). Tez knows his stuff so certainly a promising bet if he lives up to the promise/whispers about him.

Rio, this was carl's mate Tez's one to follow this year (I had a chat with him at the last PL meet up). Tez knows his stuff so certainly a promising bet if he lives up to the promise/whispers about him.
Still to be entered for a warm up race, as with most ante-post bets it's :hope Be nice if he were to produce a good run. With regard to Exotic Dancer & the Grand National. His current official rating is 170, a quick scan down the entries shows the next highest rated is the Hennessy winner State of play on a mark of 158, none of the Irish horses are showing a rating at the moment. In recent years this race has become something of a one off in that the handicapper is allowed some leeway in framing the weights for the race, however he must be somewhere in the ballpark with regard to his assessment of the ratings. Last year Hedgehunter carried joint top weight of 11st 12lb off a mark of 156 into second place, if we assume that he will get a similar rating then Exotic Dancer would be off a mark of 12-14lb more & would have top weight of 11st 12lb. I would suspect the handicapper will not be best pleased as this would put Hedgehunter in around 11st & as it used to be a lot of the field will be out of the weights. It will be interesting what ratings are given, I suspect that the handicapper may compress the ratings a bit & Exotic Dancer may be rated only 5 to 7lb above Hedgehunter. At this stage I would say Exotic Dancer is an unlikely runner, however were he to turn up I would not be unhappy as this would put my early fancy Sir Rembrandt, who is currently of a mark of 150 in the race off a nice racing weight in the mid 10st something. Rio.

Tip Detail
Sport Horse Racing
Event Cheltenham - 14:00 - JCB Triumph Hurdle Grade 1 (Fri 16 Mar)
Selection Degas Art (Each-Way)
Strength 3/10
Date 16/03/2007
Bookmaker/Price VC Bet @ 15.00 (Back)
Reasoning Last one to defeat Katchit (currently favorite and 2nd favorite for the JCB). Currently on a 3 race win streak defeating Katchit, Pouvoir, and Purple Moon. Has the speed as its won a Listed Event on the flat defeating a Godolphin Into The Dark to end its flat career. Can win under pressure and 14/1 is a good each way having shown it can win against one of the favorites to win this event.
=

Far From Trouble has been installed as Blue Square's co-favourite for the John Smith's Grand National after his facile win at Down Royal. Having his first outing since winning the Galway Plate last August, the JP McManus-owned eight-year-old breezed to an eyecatching 10-length verdict from the useful Powerstation in the Bank Of Ireland Hurdle over two miles, four furlongs. Although Far From Trouble's National price has plummeted as a consequence, connections are currently favouring the Irish equivalent on April 9. Frank Berry, racing manager to McManus, said: "He'll probably firstly go for the William Hill Handicap Chase at Cheltenham. "But at the moment, the Irish (National) is preferred to the English National as he's only eight, and probably a bit young to take on the Aintree fences." Christy Roche's charge is now a 12-1 chance for the Aintree feature and joins former National winners Numbersixvalverde and Hedgehunter at the head of Blue Square's market for the world's biggest steeplechase.
OK Lads, I need some advice as i'm in 2 minds..... read post 42 in this thread and you will note I have backed Far from Trouble at 27.0 for the national - now trading at 15.0 co favourite. I am debating laying this off after reading the above article for a couple of reasons. - Connections are preferring the Irish national - He is likely to run at the Cheltenham Festival. Running in the National 2 weeks later after a gruelling race at the Festival is a big ask in my opinion and has really put me off. Ignoring the above 2 factors, I think he has a massive chance if he lines up at Aintree, but I now have nagging doubts in my mind. Shall I lay him to get my stake back or just let it run? :unsure I'm leaning towards laying it now to get a free bet but i'll be pretty pissed off if he does end up running...... decisions decisions!