Magners Celtic League Betting Thread 2006/7

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Magners Celtic League Betting Thread 2006/7

Newport Gwent Dragons + 28 Points 9/1

Now, I’m liking this. It doesn’t look like Skybet.com have updated their odds and I’ve just checked this morning and they are still offering the bet. The Dragons are no where near as bad as everyone thought them to be and if they win a winnable game up in Borders tonight then this bet looks all the more tasty.

Last year we finished 30 points behind the eventual winners, Ulster. We have a stronger team, and more importantly, a better attitude than last year and if we pick up the odd losing bonus points away and take advantage of us not having to commit teams to the HEC like our league counterparts have to then I can see this bet running very close.

9/1 is huge.

I'm still in with a very good shout of this bet. Pays for the summer holidays if it comes off.

Re: Magners Celtic League Betting Thread 2006/7 DAC, I think there's a good bet out there waiting to be taken - a dutch of Leinster & Ulster to win the ML - what do you think? Providing Leinster win tonight it should be a straight dog fight for it ..... why? well Ulster have only this to concentrate on now & if Leinster beat Wasps away they'll have to face Biarritz away which I can't see them winning so they'll be out of the Hein Cup. The Scarletts have my men at home in the quarters and if they get through that are well capable of beating Leicecter/Stade away. What do you think? Both are available to win the ML outright above 2/1 at the moment.

Re: Magners Celtic League Betting Thread 2006/7 Ulster have 4 very winable games at home from their 8 left (they'll play Munster a week before Munster play the Scarletts so its hard to know how Munster will approach that - it could be a shadow team put out to save any injuries or a full strength team to get rhythm back before the Hein Cup 1/4 final in Llanelli) - away they have Ospreys, Scarletts Blues & Borders. I think I'm right in saying that the Welsh teams will have more players lost to the 6 Nations than Ulster though so that would seem to have their run-in a little in reality than it looks on paper. As for Leinster, they (on paper at least) have a much easier run in with all games looking winnable ... BUT their entire back line bar 9 & 10 will be lost to the international setup .... considering that their forwards are never hugely dominant their fringe backs will need to step up .... starting tonight at home to the Scarletts. Any thoughts on this DAC? Can/should we discount Cardiff Blues?

Re: Magners Celtic League Betting Thread 2006/7 I am really not to sure about Leinster you know - their pack hardly dominates but I think the key thing is that Bontempi is fit and if he plays Leinster have always got a chance. Sorry I can't give you a better analysis but I'm in a rush and need to get down the boozer pronto. If the blues win the league then I'll go to the foot of my stairs. But I have had the same idea as you and barring disasters its pretty sound.

Very interesting stuff you've got going on there, Wump. The only problem being that the ML is badly effected by HEC and the 6 Nations...so squads can be unrecognisible from one weekend to the next. That, though, is why I think there is a slight advantage to betting on the Mangers League....bookies don't always analyse the games as well as they should and they seem to afford some teams respect because of who they are rather than who they are playing and whos in the squads. Long may it continue
Yeah good call DAC and judging by your results , your right on. I agree, long may it continue and your posts to mate!:ok ..

• 3 weeks later...

Re: Magners Celtic League Betting Thread 2006/7 Hey everyone - it's been a while. i'm desperately trying to do a write up but I've got scaffolders in trying to demolish the house. Leinster v Edinburgh +18 at VC Bet looks increasingly delicious.

• 2 weeks later...

Re: Magners Celtic League Betting Thread 2006/7 Edinburgh hung on in there at the end. Dragons v Scarlets – Lose Ospreys v Blues – Win Conn v Scarlets – Win Ospreys v Borders – Win Leinster v Blues – Lose Blues v Glasgow – Win Connacht v Leinster - Win Edinburgh v Glasgow - Lose Glasgow v Border - Win Connacht v Ulster - Win Borders v Leinster - Lose Ulster v Blues - Win Ospreys v Glasgow - Win Dragons v Edinburgh - Lose Edinburgh v Borders - Win Dragons v Munster - Win Edinburgh v Scarlets - Win Dragons v Borders - Lose Leinster v Edinburgh - Win

Re: Magners Celtic League Betting Thread 2006/7 I fancy Ospreys (Scr) to beat Edinburgh, with more welsh players playing for Ospreys than Scots for Edinburgh. Ospreys usual backup is also better with the likes of Marshall, Tandy etc to come in.

Re: Magners Celtic League Betting Thread 2006/7 Edinburgh 12-30 Ospreys :cheers What does anyone out there think of Ulster to beat Llanelli tomorrow? Ulster are full strength and are playing to maintain their title challenge, Llanelli are out of it and have most of their Wales players missing...

Edinburgh 12-30 Ospreys :cheers What does anyone out there think of Ulster to beat Llanelli tomorrow? Ulster are full strength and are playing to maintain their title challenge, Llanelli are out of it and have most of their Wales players missing...
Great call 2hcb :clap :clap :clap

Re: Magners Celtic League Betting Thread 2006/7 cheers RL, 2 wins last night put to an end a rather nasty run of 4 losses on skybet for me! Even better result for me as an Os fan as we got the bonus point! still mulling over Ulster tonight, as it's on Tv i'll probably go for it. edit - well Ulster got edged out of it by Llanelli, Ulster denied a perfectly good try though as the ML doesn't have video refs. the positives are i'm still up for the weekend as Ospreys was my main bet and this helps Ospreys' title chances!

Hey everyone - it's been a while. i'm desperately trying to do a write up but I've got scaffolders in trying to demolish the house. Leinster v Edinburgh +18 at VC Bet looks increasingly delicious.
Welcom back DAC, haven't seen you post in here for a while, nice to see you scoring yet another win! , well done mate :clap

• 3 weeks later...

Re: Magners Celtic League Betting Thread 2006/7 Ulster should avert their awful form in the last few rounds of the Magners League by beating weakened Munster at Ravenhill tonite. Ulster odds are fairly poor however at 1/5. With Munster's Heineken cup quarter final next weekend, they'll want to avoid injuries so may rest a few important players. However those playing will be out to impress. Borders who are turly awful are home to Edinburgh. Edinburgh havent won on the road in 3months however, thats 5 away matches i think, however the all scottish match is sure to get the mind focused. I think the odds on the away win here 1/2 are very favourable & i'll be taking Edinburgh to win. The last game tonite is an all Welsh affair with Llanelli home to Newport Gwent Dragons. Llanelli started the season on fire however, they have gone somewhat off the boil the last few months. This match is the start of a run of 6 home games for Llanelli and with next weekends match against Munster looming, they too will be looking to avoid injury whilst trying to build morale and keep the season going. I think Llanelli will win but not without a heck of a fight. Odds of 4/11 probably reflect the gulf in class between the two teams, however much will depend what Llanelli turn up. This match could be over by half time if Llanelli are in the mood. I'd take Edinburgh with great confidence, Llanelli fairly confident maybe 7/10, but i'd steer clear of the last match with prohibitive odds on Ulster on offer.

• 2 weeks later...

Re: Magners Celtic League Betting Thread 2006/7 Magners League is back with the only side left in the Heineken Cup, Llanelli, up against bottom side Borders. Llanelli will be looking for a bonus point win infront of their own fans to try and start a late title charge. They are nearly full strength but notably are without Regan King and Alix Popham, arguably their best forward and back. Llanelli's league form hasn't been special this year and they may experience a come down afer their Heineken Cup heroics. On paper the Borders may be able to match Llaelli upfront with players like Kelly Brown and Gavin Kerr doing well for Scotland in the 6N. Llanelli should still win comfortably such is their ability to create tries in the backs but I feel that without King to spark them 25 points may be a bit much for the Scarlets. (A word of caution, I haven't had much luck with Borders this season consistantly overating their ability to avoid thrashings so don't get carried away!) Borders +25 @ 10/11 (General)

(A word of caution, I haven't had much luck with Borders this season consistantly overating their ability to avoid thrashings so don't get carried away!)
And there it goes again, Borders are unbelievably bad and disinterested for a side who are all playing for contracts next season! Llanelli win by 40 :wall

Re: Magners Celtic League Betting Thread 2006/7 ok folks, Ospreys v Munster is always a big game. 2 big packs will take eachother on and I expect Ospreys to win with Hook on such good form and Munster without O'Connell looking a bit lost. I'd still be weary of Munster who are a wounded animal after loosing to Llanelli last week. I think Ospreys will be too strong for them at home but i'm not sure about the cap. If O'Gara was starting I'd take munster but he isn't so i'm not so sure. either way it should be tight with 2 strong defences and somewhat predictable attacking stylees producing a game without many points. Total Points - Under 46.5 @ 5/6 (Bet 365)

Re: Magners Celtic League Betting Thread 2006/7 Quite tempted by the 6/5 available on Bet365 for the Dragons to beat Leinster this evening at Rodney Parade, looking at the relative form of each team Leinster haven't won away since September in the ML (and that was their only away win), whereas the Dragons have won their last 5 in this competition at Rodney Parade with another 4 wins in that time in the European Challenge Cup. Leinster are out of Europe but still aiming for the league title, but there are still a number of clubs who can catch them up (including, whisper it quietly, Cardiff!) and I'd be surprised to see them hold on to top spot. The Dragons are in the semis of the Challenge Cup and this sort of game will be looked upon as a chance to put away a decent opposition in preparation for Clermont Auvergne. My real concern about this bet is the strength of Leinster's backs, however there is no O'Driscoll and a team containing Dempsey, Horgan, Hickie, D'Arcy and Contemponi lost to Glasgow last week who are not as strong as the Dragons. The absence of Kevin Morgan is a blow to the Dragons however I think the backs they do have will be solid enough in defence to contain a Leinster team I expect to be on the back foot. Up front is where the Dragons have to win this and despite the front row being slightly understrength there is quality throughout their back five with the likes of Owen, Charvis and Ringer all involved. Add to that Ian Gough who is a massive inspiration (and such a big loss for the Dragons after this season) and you have a tough pack who should make life difficult at the scrum and carry well and disrupt Leinster's defence. I think the Dragons play best when they drive it up the middle and look to get the offloads going amongst the forwards, this then creates a bit of disorganisation for the backs to take advantage of. I think the team selected is geared up to playing this way and there are options on the bench e.g Rhys Thomas to keep this type of gameplan going. I'm going to mull this one over, but if anyone has any views on this game it'd be great if you could share them here before the game starts (7 o'clock tonight).

Re: Magners Celtic League Betting Thread 2006/7 No Kevin Morgan for Dragons which is a big blow for them. Leinster are still a quality side so be careful. You can get Dragons +4 with Skybet if you want a bit of insurance. The problem for Gwent is that they play a good expansive game which isn't the way to beat leinster. If they make it an open game it will suit the likes of D'arcy and Hickie perfectly. Leinster also have the league to play for and will be stinging from loosing to Glasgow. Dragons are p10 w10 at home and leinster have been a shambles away from home. very tight but as it's on tv i fancy a punt and i may take Leinster -2 (Bet 365) with a small stake because if they loose it helps ospreys so that will make up for it! The main bet I'm looking at for tonight is Glasgow to turn over Connacht. I know Connacht are difficult to beat at their place, but Glasgow are on fire lately beating Leinster, Llanelli and Cardiff in recent matches and almost beat Premiership high flyers Saracens in europe. 5/4 is too good a price to leave alone here. Glasgow @ 5/4 (General)

Re: Magners Celtic League Betting Thread 2006/7 worst possible result in Newport with Leinster scraping through by a point :wall However the main bet is a comfortable winner Glasgow coming away with it 40-23 :cheers

Re: Magners Celtic League Betting Thread 2006/7 Nice one 2chb I got home too late to bet on the Dragons and it looks like I got lucky even though for the parts of the game I saw the Dragons were on top. Well done on the Glasgow bet, quality tip! :clap

No Kevin Morgan for Dragons which is a big blow for them. Leinster are still a quality side so be careful. You can get Dragons +4 with Skybet if you want a bit of insurance. The problem for Gwent is that they play a good expansive game which isn't the way to beat leinster. If they make it an open game it will suit the likes of D'arcy and Hickie perfectly. Leinster also have the league to play for and will be stinging from loosing to Glasgow. Dragons are p10 w10 at home and leinster have been a shambles away from home. very tight but as it's on tv i fancy a punt and i may take Leinster -2 (Bet 365) with a small stake because if they loose it helps ospreys so that will make up for it! The main bet I'm looking at for tonight is Glasgow to turn over Connacht. I know Connacht are difficult to beat at their place, but Glasgow are on fire lately beating Leinster, Llanelli and Cardiff in recent matches and almost beat Premiership high flyers Saracens in europe. 5/4 is too good a price to leave alone here. Glasgow @ 5/4 (General)
:ok Well done mate. Good analysis too. I missed this but would be really interested to know your thoughts on the Dragons chance in the semis of the cup. I have a small interest thanks to DAC. Where are you these days, DAC? :unsure

Re: Magners Celtic League Betting Thread 2006/7 well I'd certainly imagine Clermont will start favourites at home. They've been flying high in the French League this season and have spent heavily on players. If Clermont focus fully on the cup they'll win it, but there's a chance they may underestimate the Dragons or have one eye on the league and it end up costing them. I'll have a look at the cap when it comes out, French sides are just so, well, er, French look at Biarritz losing to Northampton.