** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

Magners Celtic League Betting Thread 2006/7

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Magners Celtic League Betting Thread 2006/7 Sumamry So far: Celtic League Betting Summary – All Stakes £10.00

Dragons v Scarlets – Lose Ospreys v Blues – Win Conn v Scarlets – Win Ospreys v Borders – Win Leinster v Blues – Lost Blues v Glasgow – Win Connacht v Leinster - Win Edinburgh v Glasgow - Lose Glasgow v Border - Win Connacht v Ulster Win

Re: Magners Celtic League Betting Thread 2006/7

What's your per unit return/ROI?
It's all to level £10.00 stakes if thats what you mean Rafa.
Impressive results in a league where results can be a little all over the shop.
Cheers, thats where a little insider knowledge comes in handy - The Celtic League is all over the place what with the Autum internationals - EDF Cup - HEC Cup and the 6 Nations. I also get great info from chums in Ireland and Scotland.

Re: Magners Celtic League Betting Thread 2006/7 Well i've only posted my straightforward selections on here - I've posted a couple of doubles on my blog which have won but to answer your question mate - Pure Cleared profit of £46.40. Not outstanding but it's nice to put your money where your mouth is and make a profit.

Re: Magners Celtic League Betting Thread 2006/7 Borders v Leinster Friday 13th Oct KO 7.30PM You’d think this game would be easy to call after last weeks results; Leinster beat Munster in front of a record Celtic League Crowd and the Borders got punched out 25-0 in Glasgow. But it’s not easy in the slightest – It’s HEC time next weekend and some of the team decisions have left me a little worried. No matter.

At the end of the day this should come down to class and Leinster’s backs look very classy indeed; Brian O'Driscoll, Gordon D'Arcy, Denis Hickie, and Felipe Contepomi should do enough to secure a decent win for the Lions. Chris Cussiter and McCrae are back for the Borders which is good news for them but even with Cussiter supplying the ammunition I’m not sure the Borders are good enough to capitalise. Leinster did concede 20 points last week but that came mostly from the notorious Munster pack and the boot of O’Gara but Borders haven’t really got anything they can compare although McCrae is a competent kicker.

Form: Border Reivers are struggling with form of late and have just one victory to show for their toils from their last dozen matches: 43-5 over the Dragons at Netherdale on 26 May. In addition the Reivers have lost their last eight games against Irish Provinces. Leinster lowered the colours of Munster 27-20 at Lansdowne Road on Friday and are now going for a third successive Magners League victory. The Leinstermen did lose however on their last visit to Scotland: 14-20 to Edinburgh at Murrayfield on 8 September. Leinster won both matches against the Reivers last season although the second one was by the narrowest of margins in a 69 point thriller at Netherdale on 7 April.

Border: 15 Calum MacRae, 14 Simon Danielli, 13 Ben MacDougall, 12 Garry Law, 11 Nick De Luca, 10 Steve Jones, 9 Chris Cusiter ©, 8 Kelly Brown, 7 Scott Gray, 6 Ross Beattie, 5 Craig Hamilton, 4 Opeta Palepoi, 3 Ed Kalman, 2 Ross Ford, 1 Gavin Kerr. Replacements: 16 Steve Scott, 17 Bruce Douglas, 18 Scott Newlands, 19 John Dalziel, 20 Brendan McKerchar, 21 Andy Miller, 22 Gregor Townsend.

Leinster: 15 Rob Kearney, 14 Luke Fitzgerald, 13 Brian O'Driscoll, 12 Gordon D'Arcy, 11 Denis Hickie, 10 Felipe Contepomi, 9 Guy Easterby, 8 Jamie Heaslip, 7 Keith Gleeson, 6 Cameron Jowitt, 5 Malcolm O'Kelly, 4 Trevor Hogan, 3 Will Green, 2 Brian Blaney, 1 Reggie Corrigan. Replacements: 16 Harry Vermaas, 17 Bernard Jackman, 18 Owen Finegan, 19 Stephen Keogh, 20 Cillian Willis, 21 Christian Warner, 22 Kieran Lewis

Recommendation: Leinster could win this by a massive margin but the Borders won’t be the push over everyone thinks. Paddy power who normally are a tad bias towards the Irish teams are offering a lowly 13 to the Borders. Leinster –13 10/11 @ Paddy Power.

Re: Magners Celtic League Betting Thread 2006/7 Ospreys v Glasgow Friday 13th Oct KO 7.15PM I’ve noticed Glasgow’s improvement over their last 3 games and you can be sure they will be coming down to the Liberty Stadium looking to get something out of the game. Glasgow are also keeping the exact same 22 who stuffed Borders last weekend with just one change to the starting 15.

The Ospreys are a bit of an enigma at the moment – getting completely humped over in Ulster two weeks ago and then turning in great performances against the English teams in the EDF Cup. The Ospreys side look delicious (on paper) and Gavin Henson is being played at 10 which leaves room for the impressive looking Hook to play inside centre again. This Ospreys team hasn’t clicked at all in the Celtic League but you certainly got to think that’s got to change sometime. In all honestly Ospreys should be looking to secure a 4 try bonus point win tonight if they are going to continue being up amoungst the challengers for the league title. Both teams will be looking to take some momentum into their respective HEC games next weekend.

Form: The Ospreys tripped up last time out in the Magners League: 7-43 at Ulster on 22 September. However at Liberty Stadium the Welshmen have won ten of their last eleven encounters in all competitions. The Ospreys have not lost to a Scottish opponent since Edinburgh beat them at Murrayfield in September 2005. Glasgow Warriors beat Border Reivers 25-0 at Hughenden last Friday – only the second time they have ever blanked an opponent in a league game after winning 35-0 against Connacht at the same venue in December 2004. Glasgow’s only victory in their last 11 matches against Welsh opponents was 17-10 at Stradey Park on 12 May. The Ospreys have lost just once in six previous encounters against Glasgow: 31-34 at Hughenden in May 2004.

Ospreys: 15 Lee Byrne, 14 Nikki Walker, 13 Sonny Parker, 12 James Hook, 11 Shane Williams, 10 Gavin Henson, 9 Justin Marshall, 8 Ryan Jones, 7 Steve Tandy, 6 Jonathan Thomas, 5 Ian Evans, 4 Brent Cockbain, 3 Adam Jones, 2 Huw Bennett, 1 Duncan Jones ©. Replacements: 16 Barry Williams, 17 Paul James, 18 Alun Wyn Jones, 19 Filo Tiatia, 20 Jason Spice, 21 Shaun Connor, 22 Andrew Bishop.

Glasgow: 15 Rory Lamont, 14 Hefin O'Hare, 13 Graeme Morrison, 12 Scott Barrow, 11 Thom Evans, 10 Colin Gregor, 9 Graeme Beveridge, 8 John Beattie, 7 John Barclay, 6 Andrew Wilson, 5 Alastair Kellock, 4 Andy Newman, 3 Euan Murray, 2 Fergus Thomson, 1 Justin Va'a. Replacements: 16 Scott Lawson, 17 Kevin Tkachuk, 18 Dan Turner, 19 Donnie Macfadyen, 20 Sam Pinder, 21 Dan Parks, 22 Andrew Henderson.

Recommendation: I’ve got to go with that Opsrey’s team, it looks the part. I’m a little worried about Glasgows current resurgence but you can get Osprey’s –11 at BlueSquare.com

Re: Magners Celtic League Betting Thread 2006/7 Like you said DAC, if there was no HEC next weekend it should be more of a shoe-in but saying that the season is still early and most teams will want to field strong teams to get match fitness back and ensure that the backs & forwards "moves" are clicking. Its a big margin away from home but I think the last 20 mins should see Leinster stretch clear. As for my own team, Munster, we will be playing a full strength team ahead of the Leicester game & are at home in Thomond tonight (its a sellout). I haven't seen the handicaps yet but unless they're massive Munster should be well up to put on a few points ahead of the Welford Road trip.

Re: Magners Celtic League Betting Thread 2006/7 RAFA, You can get Munster as low as -12 with Bluesquare. I'm really tempted to go for them but I'm just a bit worried about your back line and I don't think thats being announced until much nearer KO. The Blues are also sending a weakened team over to Ulster and you can get -6 at places on the Red Hand Gang. Humph is out of the game though.

Re: Magners Celtic League Betting Thread 2006/7 Flannery is a long term injury DAC, he won't be back for months. I don't like the handicap myself but I think we'll start strong and make a few changes in the second half if we're clear. Its a mis-conception that Munsters backs are not capable of racking up points (just ask Sale!), its just that the forwards can be so dominant on their day that the backs see less of the ball than other teams. On the flip side Leinsters backs get so much ball because their pack is not physical enough. Virtually all Munster people I know backed Leinster to win in Toulouse last year - the game was tailor made for them, conversely if Perpignan had played Leinster and Toulouse had played Munster it could have been an all-French semi rather than an all-Irish one.

Re: Magners Celtic League Betting Thread 2006/7 Ulster v Blues Sat 14th Oct - KO 17.30 I’ve been humming and harring about this game all day. The fact of the matter is that the Blues are sending over a weakend team with 8 changes to the team that beat Saracens last week. I also mistakenly thought Humphries was out for Ulster but no – he’s back in the team. Theres also a bit of needle for this game as the Blues were a bit errr…..naughty in the reverse fixture in Cardiff last year.

The way I see it is that Ulster, whilst having one eye on their HEC game next weekend will be looking to crush this Blues team and hopefully take a 5 pointer and retain their lofty status at the head of the Celtic league. Also add in the factor that is basically an unchanged side from the team that beat Connacht quite convincingly last weekend. Blair and Rush are out for the Blues and whilst they do have some depth they will surely miss those quality players in a sold out Ravenhill.

Form: Ulster returned to the top of the Magners League table with a 24-17 victory in Connacht last Friday and will be all out to extend their winning home run beyond the current eight match streak. Ulster have not lost to a Welsh team in 2006. Cardiff Blues have won their last three matches in all competitions, although they have not won on the road in the league since an 18-13 victory at the Dragons on 19 April. Since March 2003 the Blues have won just once in ten visits to Ireland: 18-8 in Connacht on 22 January 2005. Ulster did the league double over Cardiff Blues last season, whilst the Blues have never won in four previous visits to Ravenhill.

Ulster: 15 Bryn Cunningham, 14 Andrew Maxwell, 13 Kevin Maggs, 12 Paddy Wallace, 11 Andrew Trimble, 10 David Humphreys, 9 Isaac Boss, 8 Roger Wilson, 7 Stephen Ferris, 6 Neil Best, 5 Matt McCullough, 4 Justin Harrison, 3 Bryan Young, 2 Rory Best, 1 Justin Fitzpatrick. Replacements: 16 Paul Shields, 17 Declan Fitzpatrick, 18 Tim Barker, 19 Neil McMillan, 20 Kieran Campbell, 21 Adam Larkin, 22 Scott Young.

Cardiff Blues: 15 Nick Macleod, 14 Chris Czekaj, 13 Jamie Robinson, 12 Marc Stcherbina, 11 Rhys Williams, 10 Nicky Robinson, 9 Ed Fairhurst, 8 Mark Lewis, 7 Ben White, 6 Scott Morgan, 5 James Goode, 4 Deiniol Jones, 3 Gary Powell, 2 Duane Goodfield, 1 John Yapp. Replacements: 16 Gethin Jenkins, 17 Gareth Williams, 18 Bradley Davies, 19 Martyn Williams, 20 Wayne Evans, 21 Tom Shanklin, 22 David Flannigan.

Recommendation: Ulster –6 10/11 – It’s worth opening an account with UK Betting for this one. Skybet are going as high as –10 which is probably a bit more like it.

Re: Magners Celtic League Betting Thread 2006/7 Continuing summary... Dragons v Scarlets – Lose Ospreys v Blues – Win Conn v Scarlets – Win Ospreys v Borders – Win Leinster v Blues – Lost Blues v Glasgow – Win Connacht v Leinster - Win Edinburgh v Glasgow - Lose Glasgow v Border - Win Connacht v Ulster Win Borders v Leinster - lose Ospreys v Glasgow - Win Ulster v Glasgow - Win

Re: Magners Celtic League Betting Thread 2006/7 Excellent punting again DAC. Munster were terrible, as bad as I can ever remember them. As for Leinster, I think nights & results like this will be the reason why they'll always far just short in the HEC.

Re: Magners Celtic League Betting Thread 2006/7 Cheers RAFA. Couldn't believe my eyes when I saw both Leinster and Munster got stuffed!!! - bear in mind this was just the second game involving all of the Irish stars. If the Ospreys are anything to go buy it takes about 4 weeks for everyone to fall into place - don't start worrying as yet.

Re: Magners Celtic League Betting Thread 2006/7 I know the same DAC, we are always slow starters. It suited us last year to go to Sale first in the HEC & again this year its perfect to play Leicester away early & then at home late on when we are in full cry. Everyone in Munster expected Leinster to beat us two weeks ago; they wanted to win it to prove something to themselves; Munster wanted a good warmup game for Leicester. The Leinster celebrations at the end were comical to be honest, as for the verbal abuse we took from the Leinster fans; it was like nothing I've experienced at at rugby ground; we just laughed at them & sang "champiooooooooonaaaaaassssssss". Ulster will surprise many this year in the HEC, they are in a tough group but no one will beat them easily. I expect them to beat Toulouse in Ravenhill. Will you continue this in the HEC?

Re: Magners Celtic League Betting Thread 2006/7 Rafa, Thats shocking to hear about the ladyboy fans, just goes to show how deeply you hurt them after the semi last year - still no excuse though. A couple of their players are also in trouble for roughing the Referee as well. Yeah, still going to carry it on through the HEC - hopefully the cappers will make a few mistakes and then again in the AI's. Had word from a mate in Biarittz that Bayonne are sending a definate reserve team to play the Dragons on Friday night in the challenge cup so it'll be interesting to see how the cappers play that.

Info like the Bayonne info is priceless DAC
Dragons 50-3 Bayonne

• 3 weeks later...

Re: Magners Celtic League Betting Thread 2006/7 Well, we're back and off and running: Ulster v Borders - Friday 3rd November

Well, well, well….We are on the cusp of the Autum Internationals and there are some wheeling and dealings taking place with regards to team selections.

The Borders have made 8 changes (with 6 completely new faces) to the side beaten at Northampton last week and whilst Cussiter will always bring something to the table, Ross Ford, the Borders hooker has been suspended by the club and is going to be replaced by debutant, Steve Scott. My Borders contact also describes their new number 8 (Beattie) as “gash” and they have a veritable child playing in the front 3, Ryan Grant.

Ulster are without 6 of their players who lost against the Scarlets last week thanks to the forthcoming International against South Afrikka but still retain a core of classy players. Lets be honest here, Borders are a brave wee team but struggle away from Netherdale, add in the fact that there a 6 brand new squad members, multiply that figure by the factor that the game is being played on a Friday night at Ravers…..and what do you get…….well, unless these 6 new Borders players have been genetically engineered by a top team of scientists located in a secret base below the streets of Auchtermuchty…..you get a shoeing.

Recommendation: Ulster – 11 @ Skybet (A steal)

Re: Magners Celtic League Betting Thread 2006/7 Hey, RL - I know I'm being superstitious but ever since i've been giving strength ratings my selections have been going tits up! ;) Put it this way, I was just about to jump onto -14 before Skybet came out with a quite frankly silly -11.