** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

Magners Celtic League Betting Thread 2006/7

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Magners Celtic League Betting Thread 2006/7 Glasgow v Connacht- Friday 3rd November 2006 - 7.30PM KO As regular readers will know….I’ve been vaunting the return of the Warriors for some time now and feel they are underrated, they’ve had 3 straight wins at home now and have played very well in the European Cup........even some of the local kids are putting down their crack pipes and attendences are on the up. What I especially like about this game is the fact that Glasgow rested their entire front 5 against Parma, who return tonight and are staying with the backs that ran in close to 70 points, in fact Leonelli is returning so all in all they are looking pretty darn good, all things considered. Again, as other regular readers will know I have much respect for Conn, they are a small squad with a big heart but they just can’t seem to edge a win, they’ve lost two heartbreakers against GP opposition in the European cup and are playing their first away game since the 1st September. Glasgow are building up momentum and Conn have lost any they had after their decent start to the campaign. I’ve got to take the –4 from VC Bet – a more true reflection would be about 8, which you can get at William Hill if you fancy Conn but I really don’t think people have noticed how much Glasgow have come on in the last 6 weeks Form: Glasgow Warriors’ two victories so far in the Magners League have been against Munster and Border Reivers, whilst the Warriors have won their last three games at Hughenden in all competitions. Connacht won last time out in the Magners League: 16-9 at home to the Dragons but this game represents their first away game in the competition since 1 September when they won 29-15 at Border Reivers. Glasgow have the slight edge in the eight previous meetings between the two, gaining four victories to Connacht’s three plus one match drawn. Recommendation: Glasgow –4 @ VC Bet

Re: Magners Celtic League Betting Thread 2006/7 Results from tonights Magners League: Edinburgh 13 vs 23 Cardiff Blues Glasgow 39 vs 34 Connacht Ulster 32 vs 8 Borders Was sat nervous on Ulster -12pts.....but they stretched the Borders out in the second half, get in!! Cheers DAC :ok :nana :cow :nana :cow :nana :cow :nana :cow

Re: Magners Celtic League Betting Thread 2006/7

Recommendation: Ulster –11 @ Skybet (A steal)

Recommendation: Glasgow –4 @ VC Bet
2/2 tonight DAC :clap :clap , despite Glasgow covering the hcap by the skin our their teeth!! :lol Keep it up mate, your work is much appreciated!! :ok

Re: Magners Celtic League Betting Thread 2006/7 Quite chuffed about these two, Glasgow was tight but Conn always score a couple at the end - Just goes to show the importance of having as many different accounts as you can. VC Bet were the only ones to go -4. Anyway, hope this isn't showing off but: Dragons v Scarlets – Lose Ospreys v Blues – Win Conn v Scarlets – Win Ospreys v Borders – Win Leinster v Blues – Lose Blues v Glasgow – Win Connacht v Leinster - Win Edinburgh v Glasgow - Lose Glasgow v Border - Win Connacht v Ulster - Win Borders v Leinster - Lose Ulster v Blues - Win Ospreys v Glasgow - Win Ulster v Borders - Win Glasgow v Conn - Win

Quite chuffed about these two, Glasgow was tight but Conn always score a couple at the end - Just goes to show the importance of having as many different accounts as you can. VC Bet were the only ones to go -4. Anyway, hope this isn't showing off but: Dragons v Scarlets – Lose Ospreys v Blues – Win Conn v Scarlets – Win Ospreys v Borders – Win Leinster v Blues – Lose Blues v Glasgow – Win Connacht v Leinster - Win Edinburgh v Glasgow - Lose Glasgow v Border - Win Connacht v Ulster - Win Borders v Leinster - Lose Ulster v Blues - Win Ospreys v Glasgow - Win Ulster v Borders - Win Glasgow v Conn - Win
With a win list like that full of your picks DAC, you deserve some time in the lime light buddy !!, well done and i to jumped aboard some of these picks, so thankyou mate!!.... :notworthy ....awesome stuff and heres hoping you continue on this run :ok ...please continue to post. :clap:clap

Re: Magners Celtic League Betting Thread 2006/7 Tonights handicaps Gwent Dragons (-7pts) v Edinburgh (+11pts) Leinster (-9pts) v Glasgow Rugby (+12pts) Scottish Borders (+8pts) v Llanelli Scarlets (-6pts) I understand that Edinburgh are missing several key players due to injury and international duty. The -7pts @ 1.90 is available at hills. Any thoughts?

Re: Magners Celtic League Betting Thread 2006/7 Dragons v Edinburgh - Friday 10th Nov - KO 7.10pm When I’ve suggested it to my colleagues that I was going to be betting on the Dragons tonight their initial reactions have been “Right, that’s me putting me mortgage on Edinburgh then” and ”That seals it. Edinburgh to win by 20”as in the past I have been far to over cautious and to be fair, I’ve cost them a couple of quid. Even the most amateur of gamblers knows never to be emotionally involved in a bet but I can’t help it. Don’t say you haven’t been warned.

It’s international weekend and obviously both teams are missing players, thanks to the quality of the Dragons squad we are only missing Morgan, Goughy, Cooper, Owen and Sweeney. Whilst Edinburgh are missing a whole plethora of players, mainly their backs and they have 6 apprentices making the squad – I can only guess that an apprentice is the same as an Academy player here in Wales. It has to be noted that double Lions No8, Simon Taylor is starting for the first time this season for Edinburgh and he’s sure to steady the youngsters but it also has to be noted that Charvis, Ringer and Bearman are in for the Dragons and have been playing out of their skins all season. Charvis and Ringer have been looked over for the Wales squad and I know they will be out to prove a couple of points tonight.

The Dragons squad is:

Newport Gwent Dragons: 15 Aled Thomas, 14 Gareth Wyatt, 13 Nathan Brew, 12 Ashley Smith, 11 Aled Brew, 10 Mike Hercus, 9 Alex Walker, 8 Joe Bearman, 7 Colin Charvis ©, 6 Jamie Ringer, 5 Luke Charteris, 4 Andrew Hall, 3 Lee Harrison, 2 Kieran Crawford, 1 Adam Black. Replacements: 16 Ben Daly, 17 Jamie Corsi, 18 Bryn Griffiths, 19 Nic Fitisemanu, 20 Richard Fussell, 21 Craig Warlow, 22 Gareth Baber.

And it really is the strongest we can put out, Aled Thomas makes his first start of the season after injury and has been sorely missed, the Brew brothers are fit and well and the Academy lads playing have already been blooded more than once this season, which is more than can be said for their Edinburgh counterparts. My main worry is Mike Circus, he hasn’t had his kicking boots on at all these past few weeks but Craig Warlow is on the bench should we need to haul the Yank off. Ashley Smith is at 12 and he has impressed me with his brave ball carrying, he could really be one for the future. The secret will be to get the ball wide and I know the lads are more than capable of it.

The bench is also surprisingly strong with Nic, Craig and Gareth who normally start for the Dragons, it’s a whole lot stronger than the Edinburgh bench that’s for sure.

I also feel that Paul Turner has targeted this game, he rested a few vital players away at Leinster last weekend and he knows as well as everyone in Gwent just how important this is, we can either join the pack in the middle of table and keep in touch with Cardiff or we can be cast adrift with Munster and The Borders – it really is the biggest game of the season so far. I think we could get a bonus point win.

Coral are offering –7 on the Dragons but you can get as much as +11 with Edinburgh should you fancy them to turn us over. I don’t.

Recommendation: Dragons –7 @ Corals

Re: Magners Celtic League Betting Thread 2006/7 know what you mean about getting involved punting your own team dac. i try not do do it in the footee. still, catching up on your results from last week and your previous record, your opinion is held in high esteem on these boards, if not with your mates...:lol with my lack of knowledge in all things union i'd have struggled finding the "plethora" of players missing for both sides. :unsure thanks for the info. :ok

Re: Magners Celtic League Betting Thread 2006/7 DAC, Been starting to get interested in getting involved in the Rugby Union markets recently after a long time watching. One question for you, is there anywhere that you know of that has a listing of past results along with the associated odds and handicaps? Want to do a bit of reasearch

My main worry is Mike Circus, he hasn’t had his kicking boots on at all these past few weeks
Circus was shite - missed two easy first half kicks. Shit game and I got fecking soaked to the skin. Still, a wins a win.

• 3 weeks later...

Re: Magners Celtic League Betting Thread 2006/7 Edinburgh v Borders Friday 1st Dec KO 7.30PM I’ve hummed and harred about this game a lot……First look at the Caps lead me to believe it was a gimme for the Burghers, then I realised that the Borders pack have been reunited and do play well as a unit, then I’ve tried to factor in the loss of Border’s captain, Chris Cussiter but decided that Calum McCrae is more than a good enough replacement, to make matters worse I then found out Edinburgh had made 3 brand new decent signings to the squad and all should play a part in tonight’s game…..this lead me to drink a bottle of Port last night. I still feel remarkably sick come Friday lunchtime. Ah well.

Edinburgh need to get back on track after their defeat against the Dragons a couple of weeks ago and as an eye witness the defensive display was quite impressive in terrible conditions. I think they know the importance of this game and that a bonus point win really is their target. If Edinburgh do give away silly penalties then McCrae is more than capable of kicking them from anywhere, I expect Borders to start well tonight and then get ground down.

Form: Edinburgh have lost back to back Magners League matches to Cardiff Blues and Newport Gwent Dragons, however the capital side have never lost at home to a fellow Scottish side in the history of the league. Border Reivers have lost their last three games in all competitions and have won just once on the road in the league since September 2005: 20-8 at Glasgow on 3 March. The two sides have clashed on six previous occasions in the league with each match being won by the home side on the day. The Reivers have lost on both of their previous visits to Murrayfield

Edinburgh: 15 Hugo Southwell, 14 Chris Paterson ©, 13 Marcus Di Rollo, 12 Andrew Easson, 11 Ben Cairns, 10 Phil Godman, 9 Mike Blair, 8 Dave Callam, 7 Simon Taylor, 2 Dougie Hall, 3 Alasdair Dickinson, 4 Matt Mustchin, 5 Scott Murray, 6 Alasdair Strokosch, 1 Allan Jacobsen. Replacements: 16 Steven Lawrie, 17 Dave Hewett, 18 Chris Bentley, 19 Ross Rennie, 20 John Senio, 21 Duncan Hodge, 22 Lucio Lopez Fleming.

Border Reivers: 15 Calum MacRae ©, 14 Brendon Daniel, 13 Bryan Rennie, 12 Nick De Luca, 11 Garry Law, 10 Steve Jones, 9 Brendan McKerchar, 8 Kelly Brown, 7 Scott Gray, 6 John Dalziel, 5 Craig Hamilton, 4 Opeta Palepoi, 3 Bruce Douglas, 2 Ross Ford, 1 Gavin Kerr. Replacements: 16 Steve Scott, 17 Ed Kalman, 18 Stuart Grimes, 19 Ryan Grant, 20 Calum Cusiter/Rob Chrystie, 21 Andy Miller, 22 Gregor Townsend

Recommendations: Got to take the Gunners @ -14 with Paddy Power but I’m going to be cautious here and take Edinburgh to win 11-15 on the winning margins @ 11-2 with VC Bet

Re: Magners Celtic League Betting Thread 2006/7 dac, can you just clarify that you are recommending taking edinburgh -14 on the handicap, but also having a saver to cover your stake, on their winning margin to be 11-15, just in case they fall short? :unsure