Be the Bookie (LAY All)

• 11 months later...
  • Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 8 months later...

Re: Be the Bookie (LAY All)

Was reminded of this thread today by something similar on the Betfair forum and was wondering if anyone persevered with this system? Definitely looked like it had potential if tweaked well? Any progress Thunderfoot or anyone? Or is it so good your sitting in the Cayman Islands now? :ok lol
Sorry Guys, been a while ... don't get out of the Caymans that often!!;);)

Sorry Guys' date=' been a while ... don't get out of the Caymans that often!!;);)[/quote'] I seen this a good wee while ago mate. It is a good idea and so original, and you were doing really well with it, till that upset. would be disapointed to see it end there :sad

Re: Be the Bookie (LAY All) That was an interesting read :ok I tried laying one horse in handicaps, that was not in the first three in the betting, but under 10/1, about 5 years ago, despite people on the Betfair forum saying it was too dodgy to lay just one in a race. If I recall, I layed 22 or 23 consecutive losers, so what did I care if one popped up now. One popped up alright, followed immediately by another two, and about 4 races later, another one. I often wondered who lays miles over the odds on Betfair, and if they made a profit. Laying is not as easy as it looks. Track bookies make it look easy as they lay the other way around, if the favourite wins they generally lose, but they will have two out of the three races when the jolly is beaten, and if the second best is unsighted, it's a good result. In races with a 33/1 rag that's available on Betfair at 50 or more, track bookies will back it to lessen liabilites as they know they will win now and again. if the track is offering 100/1 you can bet it's over 250 on Betfair. No bookie I know wouldn't have a fiver or a tenner to cover himself at least a bit. The problem, if that's what to call it, for track bookies, is that because of Betfair they offer much larger odds than they used to pre-2000. Ten years ago you hardly ever saw a 100-1 winner from January to December. Look how many you see these days. These horses were 33/1 in the days before Betfair. Look at any maiden race this afternoon, the rags will be 100, 200, 300, or higher, you'll be lucky to see 66s at the track, with a maximum of 120s.

The problem, if that's what to call it, for track bookies, is that because of Betfair they offer much larger odds than they used to pre-2000. Ten years ago you hardly ever saw a 100-1 winner from January to December. Look how many you see these days. These horses were 33/1 in the days before Betfair. Look at any maiden race this afternoon, the rags will be 100, 200, 300, or higher, you'll be lucky to see 66s at the track, with a maximum of 120s.
If so, why dont we back the 200+ rags? Any profit in that? Should be since they are overpriced.

• 2 weeks later...

If so' date=' why dont we back the 200+ rags? Any profit in that? Should be since they are overpriced.[/quote'] They're not overpriced, they are priced correctly. It's the track who are underpricing them with 120% + books. Just flicked through all the cards for today in the UK. At this early hour, there are already 27 horses priced at over 100/1. This will increase by at least 25% by the time that races go off. If you don't count Sundays that's at least 160 a week, and probably more. At that rate you need 1 a week to stay in front. As I said, they're more regular these days, but 1 a week may be pushing it. Though there was one last week with a Betfair SP of 259/1. Most 66/1 shots pay 100/1 or over on Betfair, but if you include them you get a lot more than 160 horses a week.

• 2 weeks later...

Re: Be the Bookie (LAY All) just been reading this and great read. took me to last few posts to realise this was 2yrs ago lol anyways what do you look for in this sort of race? close match ups? or someone who v.strong fav also do you lay every horse? what stakes were you using before?

• 6 years later...
  • 2 months later...