US Open Mens - 28th Aug - 10th Sept

Re: US Open Mens - 28th Aug - 10th Sept Well, Srichaphan the other night really gave that match away, but fortunately Moodie took out Monfils at 11/4 and Davydenko has got further than Tursunov, so not all is lost. Current bank: 85.65 points. Gasquet to bt Hewitt 11/10 Bet UK/sporting Odds A close one this, but even though Hewitt has improved the longer the tournament has gone on, still think the young Frenchman could take this. Hewitt has been average by his standards up until this week, and has been troubled by injury in recent months.10 points Ginepri v Haas - Over 39 games 5/6 Sporting Odds Can see a long match here. Haas has the quality but Ginepri should fight in front of the US crowd, and may have enough to take this to 5 sets. 9 points, with small 3 point cover on 3-1 to Haas at 3/1 with the same bookie.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: US Open Mens - 28th Aug - 10th Sept

dunno what the odds are as they are not out but bet all your money on Serena Williams to beat Mauresmo. H2h is 9-1 to williams. Williams playing good and mauresmo not so. Odds will probably be around 4/6 (rough estimate) for Williams to win but its a fairly certain that she will
just took odds of 8/11 for Serena to win with Willhill. Its the highest any bookie would offer. I think the odds will go down to 4/7 or even lower before the match

Re: US Open Mens - 28th Aug - 10th Sept Well, the new strategy in the first week didn't work too well and I'm willing to take a small loss and leave it at that. Back to the usual stuff.....

SportTennis
EventUS Open
SelectionLAY GINEPRI v Haas (Lay)
Strength10/10
Date04/09/2006
Bookmaker/Price>Betfair @ 2.64 (Lay)
ReasoningI've been very impressed with Hass this summer. He's been in very good form but has had some pretty harsh draws. He's been very comfortable thus far and I can see him taking care of Ginepri here. Ginepri has had a shocking year and although his form has improved a bit lately I can't see him having enough here. H2H is 3-1 to Haas with Ginepri winning here last year in 5 sets - however, he isn't playing anywhere near as well this year and I see the German getting revenge. £2873 available.
SportTennis
EventUS Open
SelectionLAY ROCHUS v Safin (Lay)
Strength10/10
Date04/09/2006
Bookmaker/Price>Betfair @ 2.74 (Lay)
ReasoningSafin came through a belter yesterday against Bandy and he's hitting well enough to take care of Rochus here. Rochus hasn#t played much since Wimbledon and he had major problems yesterday with Sweeting and I really don't think he's playing well enough to take on Safin. H2H is 5-4 to Safin with a mixed set of results - clearly Rochus causes him problems but I don't think he's playing well enough to do damage today. The courts are playing pretty quickly and Safin looks a lot better physically than he did earlier in the year and he should be able to do it in 3 or 4 sets today. £245 available.

SportTennis
EventUS Open
SelectionRODDICK 3-0 v Becker
Strength10/10
Date04/09/2006
Bookmaker/Price>Betfair @ 2.04 (Back)
ReasoningBecker has done incredibly well thus far but after the victory over Agassi he seems very over rated here. Agassi was clearly injured and could barely walk after the match. Roddick took 5 against Verdasco but the Spaniard always causes him problems and I still think Roddick's playing really well. After 5 sets yesterday he'll really be up for this and want to get it done easily today. Also, perhaps he'll want to give the German a beating for Agassi? The sets should be pretty tight, but I defiantely see Roddick coming through, and over evens for 3-0 seems a little big. £1558 available.

Re: US Open Mens - 28th Aug - 10th Sept Oh, I was thinking the opposite! Thought about laying 3-0 Rodders, but I have to take: Total games Roddick v Becker Over 32.5 Vcbet 8/11 From what I could see, Becker's serve was pretty good, I have a feeling we might see one or perhaps 2 tie breaks in this match. Roddick could still win 3-0 and the games be over 32.5. This total is out of line with other bookies anyway, Sporting Odds are at 37.5. 11 points.

Re: US Open Mens - 28th Aug - 10th Sept Yeah 32.5 is pretty low. I'm just thinking yesterday will be the first time a lot of people will have seen Becker and he's really not as good as he appeared in that match. I think Roddick (and the crowd) will be able to get on top of him unlike Agassi could yesterday.

Tip Detail
SportTennis
EventHewitt - Gasquet
SelectionHewitt
Strength10/10
Date04/09/2006
Bookmaker/PriceStan James @ 1.83 (Back)
ReasoningHewitt had great game yesterday against Djokovic.He just trashed him in 3 sets and it seems that he prepared his form well for Us Open.So far Gasquet had pretty easy draw with Simmonds, Simon and Chiudinelli and today he will have much heavier task to deal with.Hewitt always played well here even better than at Australian Open.It can be close match but I believe that at the end Hewitt will be the winner.
Tip Detail
SportTennis
EventSchnyder - Davenport
SelectionSchnyder
Strength10/10
Date04/09/2006
Bookmaker/PriceBlue Square @ 2.75 (Back)
ReasoningI must try it.Davenport is after long break and she is not at her best.She still has problems with her arm and she had to retire against Henin at New Haven.With every round it's harder for Davenport to go through to the next round.Schnyder will surely take advantage of this as she knows about her problems for sure.Against Srebotnik Davenport had to defend match balls and that match was surelly exhausting for her.Especially third set.I believe that Schnyder will make a small surprise here :) She had great period before US Open when she made it to one final and two SF.Go Patty !!!
NW 1970:I was thinking the same as you.Over 32.5 with vcbet and laying andy 3:0 but I don't know what to do??? :)

Re: US Open Mens - 28th Aug - 10th Sept Looks like Hewitt is over his injury problems anyway! 5 sets v Gasquet. Disappointed Roddick/Becker fell short of the 33 games needed. One step forwards and two back at the moment. Time for a lump on methinks. Current bank: 69.15 points. Murray v Davydenko Over 38.5 games 5/6 Sporting Odds Can't see anything else but a long match. Both players are liable to have lulls in a match, and let their opponents back into it. 50 points.

Re: US Open Mens - 28th Aug - 10th Sept Might have a small interest in this one from Ladbrokes: Murray/Davydenko and Blake/Berdych both to go to 5 sets- 10/1 Having already expressed my thoughts on these matches, this seems a tasty little special bet. I will risk a few points on it anyway. 4 points.

Re: US Open Mens - 28th Aug - 10th Sept Well yesterday went well! Now +30.4pts for the second week (we can forget the first week, right?). I thought Roddick was awesome, should be a great game against Hewitt. Also thought Safin was very good against Rochus, but that seems to be fully reflected in the 1.5 against Haas. Mmm, that seems a little tight, might be tempted by a 3-0 and 3-1. I'll be back with thoughts on todays matches this afternoon.

Re: US Open Mens - 28th Aug - 10th Sept Just one play for me today: Marat Safin vs. Tommy Haas An intriguing match-up between two of Tennis’s nearly men, with glittering careers dogged by injury problems and losses of form. That’s not to say the talent has been wasted, they have 26 titles between them, and Safin has two Grand Slam’s to his name, including victory here in 2000. The Russian has struggled for consistency in recent years though, and his ranking has dropped to 104. He has shown recent signs of returning to his best form, reaching the semi-final of the Legg Mason Classic, and beating Nalbandian in the second round here. These are the only two occasions in 12 tournaments that he has won consecutive matches though, and there remains a doubt over his long-term form and fitness. Haas has had a much more productive season, with three hard court titles to his name, including the Los Angeles Countrywide Classic in July. He has only been beaten by Nadal and Tursunov in his last 13 matches, and he showed good character to come through a tough match against home favourite Robby Ginepri last night. That is the main concern for Haas, how much that five-setter will have taken out of him, but at these prices a small stakes interest on Haas is definitely worth a go. Tip: 5pts Haas @ 3.0 (VC Bet)

SportTennis
EventUS Open
SelectionMURRAY v Davydenko
Strength10/10
Date05/09/2006
Bookmaker/Price>Betfair @ 1.83 (Back)
ReasoningA few months ago I would have said that this sort of match up would heavily favour Davydenko. However, since Murray has hooked up with Gilbert his strategy has changed and he has a much better balance between defense and attack. Now going into this matchup I'm thinking that Davydenko has nothing that will hurt Murray and that Murray will be able to dictate play when he wants and sit back when he wants. Murray has played really well thus far apart from a lapse in the first round against Kendrick and physically he's looking a lot better. It's not that he's stronger or in better shape but purely that he's expending a lot less energy during matches than he did 12 months ago. Davydenko is playing well and is still a top player, but I certainly see Murray as favourite and this is a pretty decent price.
SportTennis
EventUS Open
SelectionSAFIN 3-1 v Haas
Strength10/10
Date05/09/2006
Bookmaker/PricePinnacle Sports @ 4.00 (Back)
ReasoningI really fancy Safin to win this, but the price on the straight win looks a little tight given the quality of the opponent, so et's be a little creative and go for Safin 3-1 and 3-2. I was impressed by the way Haas cruised through the first week but yesterday he was poor against Ginepri and after going 5 I think he could struggle today. I think Safin has been really good so far and backed up his marathon against Bandy by cruising past Rochus who is a guy who has caused him problems in the past. He looks more focussed in this tournament than he has for a long time and that is a big positive for me. H2H is 2-1 to Safin and includes a couple of tight meeting on hard courts. I think Haas can get a set, but Safin should be the one that comes through.
SportTennis
EventUS Open
SelectionSAFIN 3-2 v Haas
Strength5/10
Date05/09/2006
Bookmaker/PricePinnacle Sports @ 6.90 (Back)
ReasoningI really fancy Safin to win this, but the price on the straight win looks a little tight given the quality of the opponent, so et's be a little creative and go for Safin 3-1 and 3-2. I was impressed by the way Haas cruised through the first week but yesterday he was poor against Ginepri and after going 5 I think he could struggle today. I think Safin has been really good so far and backed up his marathon against Bandy by cruising past Rochus who is a guy who has caused him problems in the past. He looks more focussed in this tournament than he has for a long time and that is a big positive for me. H2H is 2-1 to Safin and includes a couple of tight meeting on hard courts. I think Haas can get a set, but Safin should be the one that comes through.
SportTennis
EventUS Open
SelectionDEMENTIEVA 2-1 v Jankovic
Strength10/10
Date05/09/2006
Bookmaker/PricePinnacle Sports @ 4.00 (Back)
ReasoningI think there's a great chance for this one to go to 3 sets, and it seems a decent option to back them both 2-1. Jankovic has been plying extremely well this summer, and looked in great form taking care of Kuznetsova yesterday. If she can reproduce the form that she's shown thus far this will be a very tough match for Dementieva. However, I still fancy Elena to come through, but it should be a battle. These two met in the final of LA a few weeks ago with Dementieva coming through in 3 tight sets and I expect a similar match up today. With Elena, there's always a chance of going to 3 sets against any opponent as she loses serve so often, and against a quality opponent like she has today I think there's a great chance.
SportTennis
EventUS Open
SelectionJANKOVIC 2-1 v Dementieva
Strength9/10
Date05/09/2006
Bookmaker/PricePinnacle Sports @ 4.60 (Back)
ReasoningI think there's a great chance for this one to go to 3 sets, and it seems a decent option to back them both 2-1. Jankovic has been plying extremely well this summer, and looked in great form taking care of Kuznetsova yesterday. If she can reproduce the form that she's shown thus far this will be a very tough match for Dementieva. However, I still fancy Elena to come through, but it should be a battle. These two met in the final of LA a few weeks ago with Dementieva coming through in 3 tight sets and I expect a similar match up today. With Elena, there's always a chance of going to 3 sets against any opponent as she loses serve so often, and against a quality opponent like she has today I think there's a great chance.

Hewitts H2H against Roddick is pretty good' date=' I would have thought it to be a close match, Hewitt trading for near 6/4 on betfair seems too high. Any reason why?[/quote'] There are a few reasons. If you look at the H2H it was mainly a long time ago that Hewitt was dominating - at the end of 2001 the H2H was 3-0 and now it's 6-2. The last two meetings in 2005 were much better for Roddick, a final set breaker in Indian Wells then a nice straight sets wins in Cinci. Recently Roddick looks to have really improved (since Connors started working with him), he is more assertive from the back (how many times have I asked for him to do that this year?:eyes) and he's actually volleying pretty well! With his serve really firing he's looking to have an all round game for a chance which is very impressive. He's 10-0 since working with Connors and he's had one poor match in Cinci and one poor(ish) match here and apart from that he's looked awesome. There are also a few reasons to be negative about Hewitt; in the first week he was flying but had a really tough one against Gasquet and coupled with the rain I don't think that's great for his knee. Also I'm thinking back he looked very impressive at Wimbledon and he looked great in that tournament before really failing against Baggy. In a night match, with a great atmosphere, the way Roddick's playing I really couldn't oppose him. But the 1.66 doesn't look too special, so I don't think I'll take that, but may take something on the set betting;).

Tip Detail
SportTennis
EventRoddick - Hewitt 0:3.5 Games
SelectionHewitt (Asian Handicap)
Strength10/10
Date06/09/2006
Bookmaker/PriceGamebookers @ 1.80 (Back)
ReasoningI can see Hewitt here even as a winner but I will stick with a handi here.Hewitt played really good match against Gasquet and he would probably losed that one but Gasquet was exhausted and Hewitt took advantage of that.But in that match Gasquet had excellent backhand and great return.Roddick has only great serve and big hits.Hewitt is in great form and great condition.He has great 6:2 H2H against Roddick.It should be at least one set for Leyton and maybe some tiebreaks and this should do the thing.
Tip Detail
SportTennis
EventYouzhny - Nadal
Selectionover 34.5 games
Strength10/10
Date06/09/2006
Bookmaker/PriceVC Bet @ 1.85 (Back)
ReasoningI believe that this will be more tight match that the odds are suggesting and Youzhny is for sure capable of winning at least one set.Nadal is not so great and he had tough time against every of his previous opponents.More to that Youzhny seems to be in great form and this is one of his best appearances this year.
Tip Detail
SportTennis
EventSharapova - Golovin 0:1.5 set hc
SelectionGolovin (Asian Handicap)
Strength10/10
Date06/09/2006
Bookmaker/PriceInterwetten @ 2.90 (Back)
ReasoningSharapova is yet to lose a set at US and I believe tht it can be today.Golovin is in great form beating Petrova and easilly thrashing Chakvetadze.Sharapova had few problems against Li in first set but she finnaly made it to win match 2:0.H2H between them is interesting.Sharapova is leading 4:0 but three of those matches ended in 3 sets.And last one was in Miami this year when Golovin was great but she got an injury.Sharapova haven't got bad match yet so it's about time and golovin can do a little surprise.Nice odds.

Re: US Open Mens - 28th Aug - 10th Sept I'm down to 9.15 pts now, after Murray's pathetic capitulation this afternoon. Suppose it better go on: Youzhny in play v Nadal at 4.5 1 set all now. Haven't been convinced by Nadal's play or fitness so far. Worth a risk of my last few pts.

Re: US Open Mens - 28th Aug - 10th Sept Looks like I am back in business, to a certain extent. You could see Nadal wasn't at his dominant best last night. Current bank: 41.18 pts Haas to bt Davydenko 2.6 Betfair Don't understand these early odds, can only think Haas may be tired after his 5 setter yesterday. Still waiting for the Davydenko wobble though, which usually comes around about now in a Slam, if not before now. Too big a price. 10 pts.

SportTennis
EventFederer vs Blake
SelectionAny Other Result Then Federer 3-0
Strength10/10
Date08/09/2006
Bookmaker/PriceOlympic Sports @ 1.87 (Back)
ReasoningFederer is the king of tennis right now. But Blake on American soil I believe can take one set. Very good odds on that by TheGreek (Olympic) so I have to take it.

SportTennis
EventFederer vs Blake
SelectionOver 34.5 games
Strength10/10
Date08/09/2006
Bookmaker/Price>Bet365 @ 1.83 (Back)
ReasoningThis goes with my bet on Blake to take at least one set from Federer. If the sets can go at least 9 games for 4 sets this wins and I'm gonna take it. Blake is gonna have crowd support and battle well I believe.

SportTennis
EventFederer vs Blake
SelectionAny Other Result Then Federer 3-0
Strength10/10
Date08/09/2006
Bookmaker/PriceOlympic Sports @ 1.87 (Back)
ReasoningFederer is the king of tennis right now. But Blake on American soil I believe can take one set. Very good odds on that by TheGreek (Olympic) so I have to take it.
I dont think this is a great bet tbh. I feel Fed will just breeze past Blake who has not been playing good tennis (apart from last night) for quite a few weeks. They have played 4 times. Federer leads h2h 4-0 and on sets 10-0. All these matches have been played on American hardcourts. Seems that Blakes game doesnt match up all that well to Feds. I would definitely want higher than evens on that bet.

Re: US Open Mens - 28th Aug - 10th Sept ^^^^ I have to agree on this one, the only real chance Blake has is if he finally steps up as a real challenge to the top two in the world, this is a tourney that could make him if he were to win, if not I would not be surprised to see him slide away as some of the European players start to take hold of the 2-20 spots in the world. I hope it gets up for you Marcus, but the challengers to the top two players are falling away thick and fast at the moment.

Tip Detail
SportTennis
EventShaughnessy/Gimelstob - King/Spadea
SelectionKing/Spadea
Strength10/10
Date07/09/2006
Bookmaker/PriceInterwetten @ 3.10 (Back)
ReasoningFor me those are really nice odds :) Shaughnessy/Gimelstob are not so great double pair and odds for King/Spadea are for sure too high.In previous rounds they had problems and both times they had to play tiebreaks to 10 points.Of course pairs they were playing against were pretty good but still I think they can't be considered as such a big favourites.King/Spadea are obviously feeling great with each other as in first round they easilly won 6:3 6:3 against Li/Suk and in second round they've won first set against seeded with nr4 Yan/Perry and they their opponents retired.I think that the difference in abilities is not such big as odds are suggesting and I'm willing to try and bet on King/Spadea.

SportTennis
EventFederer vs Blake
SelectionOver 34.5 games
Strength10/10
Date08/09/2006
Bookmaker/Price>Bet365 @ 1.83 (Back)
ReasoningThis goes with my bet on Blake to take at least one set from Federer. If the sets can go at least 9 games for 4 sets this wins and I'm gonna take it. Blake is gonna have crowd support and battle well I believe.
:ok Well done Marcus, good tipping:nana

Re: US Open Mens - 28th Aug - 10th Sept Bit unfortunate that Haas ran out of steam after being 2-0 up, but never mind. Current bank: 31.18 pts A double with the rest of the bank: Roddick to bt Youzhny 1.28 Jankovic most double faults v Henin Hardenne 1.53 Odds from Centrebet. Just can't see Roddick letting this go. He is in prime form, spurred on by his new coach Connors, who is focussing Roddick's mind at the moment. Winner in the previous tournament, playing really well. Roddick is a different proposition for Youzhny from Nadal, don't think the Russian can cope with Roddick's power. Youzhny may feel his work is done this week. Jankovic, although playing really well these past few weeks, is a bit combustible under pressure, and averages more double faults than Henin Hardenne. Think this may be relatively short, something like 3-1 in double faults to Jankovic. Statistically sound bet. 31.18 pts double.

Re: US Open Mens - 28th Aug - 10th Sept Sharapova beat Mauresmo 2-1 @ 4.50 with StanJames. She lost at wimbledon by not playing smart at all and that score was 2-1 mauresmo, now I think it will be the other way round. Sharapova is far more talented but mauresmo is more experienced and more tactically aware. Its a difficult one to pick but I think it will be close and Sharapova will come out on top due to her mentality and she would have learned from her silly mistakes at wimbledon.