US Open Mens - 28th Aug - 10th Sept

v15.gifv6004.gifv6074.gifv6118.gifv6007.gifv10.gifv4.gifv6005.gifv401.gifv6096.gif
Federer, R8/154/71/24/78/154/78/130.56/10.57/10.54/1
Nadal, R10/310/37/27/247/245.4/15.8/14
Roddick, A101012121012101717.5/116
Murray, A18202020202020484940
Gasquet, R1620162020202067-20
Blake, J25332533283325444525
Baghdatis, M25333333283333737440
Ljubicic, I33404040334040799950
Berdych, T404033333333407914966
Nalbandian, D33403350285050736450
Hewitt, L334033503350509711950
Ferrero, JC505050405040509917980
Safin, M3340405040505011718980
Haas, T6650505066505012716950
Gonzalez, F666666668066669913966
Djokovic, N66806666806666157219100
Robredo, T8066100100100100100139189125
Agassi, A668066668066100167289100
Tursunov, D661258010080100100117-125
Ginepri, R100125100100125100100199359100
Grosjean, S100150125150125150150---
Ancic, M6666501506615066167159120
Davydenko, N10015080150100150100249199-
Clement, A------150289449-
Malisse, X-15015015015015015099449-
Ferrer, D10020010020012520015099319-
Monfils, G-200100200100200150499429-
Nieminen, J-200100200150200150339529125
Stepanek, R--100200125200-439559-
Henman, T-200150200175200200649--
Mathieu, P---200-200150579809-
Söderling, R-200100200125200150849829-
Verdasco, F-200100200150200150859899-
Kiefer, N---200-200-639939-
Fish, M-150150200150200100839999125
Draw Here Well, looking at Roddick's draw, to win it, he's likely to have to go: 1R: Serra 2R: Martin 3R: Hewitt 4R: Baghdatis QF: Gasquet/Fish/Ljubicic SF: Nadal F: Federer Can't see him pulling those off tbh. Murray on the other hand, his path looks like this early... 1R: Qualifier 2R: Melzer/Di Mauro 3R: Vliegen 4R: Davydenko QF: Nalbandian/Ginepri/Haas Looks like he can go deep into this if he doesn't do something stupid in those first 3/4 matches. :ok Thoughts ?:tongue2

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: US Open Mens - 28th Aug - 10th Sept Quick thoughts from the other thread... Baggy has a tough section, 2nd round, night match with Agassi could be a cracker but I'd still fancy a 4th round with Roddick. Mmm, I want to fancy Roddick to get revenge there. Next section looks to be between Gasquet, Ljubicic and djokovic to set up a quarter with A-Rod/Baggy. Really not sure about that, it needs thinking about. Bottom quarter looks to be all about Nadal. Really nothing there I think can really hurt him. I'm thinking about backing Nadal again:ok.

1R: Serra 2R: Martin 3R: Hewitt 4R: Baghdatis QF: Gasquet/Fish/Ljubicic SF: Nadal F: Federer
I think you've got the draw a bit messed up there mate. Hewitt is in a lower section, 3rd round is likely to be Verdasco (although he pulled out injured today) or Santoro or a qualifier;). Hewitt is injured anyway, I doubt he'll play (if he does it will be poorly). I keep looking at Nadals draw and I really like it - it's almost perfect building him up into the tournament and I can't see him being fully tested until the semis which could be a toughie. Perhaps worth an E/W double with........you'll have to wait;)

Re: US Open Mens - 28th Aug - 10th Sept yeah, Nadal's betfair price is very tempting now and the draw isn't too bad. A first round match againt Philippoussis will be perfect for seeing how he deals with the court speed and a win there shouldn't affect the price too much so I might wait til after that before I decide. It'll be interesting to see if the courts/balls are as fast as they were in Cincinnati because Nadal was really struggling on his returns there. He was far too deep and just blocking the ball back, even on 2nd serves, against Ferrero and Haas and struggling to get into the rallies as a result. If he can make a good impression on The Scud's serve, I'll definitely back him.

Re: US Open Mens - 28th Aug - 10th Sept

yeah, Nadal's betfair price is very tempting now and the draw isn't too bad. A first round match againt Philippoussis will be perfect for seeing how he deals with the court speed and a win there shouldn't affect the price too much so I might wait til after that before I decide. It'll be interesting to see if the courts/balls are as fast as they were in Cincinnati because Nadal was really struggling on his returns there. He was far too deep and just blocking the ball back, even on 2nd serves, against Ferrero and Haas and struggling to get into the rallies as a result. If he can make a good impression on The Scud's serve, I'll definitely back him.
Yeah Cincy was really fast. I think this will be a more 'normal' pace and should suit Nadal a lot more:hope

Re: US Open Mens - 28th Aug - 10th Sept yeah, he gets wound up but only in a really positive way. was just looking at the odds for the ladies event. what do you think of kuznetsova's price? seems pretty big for an ex-winner with some decent results this year but I don't follow the ladies game at all really.

yeah, he gets wound up but only in a really positive way. was just looking at the odds for the ladies event. what do you think of kuznetsova's price? seems pretty big for an ex-winner with some decent results this year but I don't follow the ladies game at all really.
I think she's out of shape and not playing too well. Really don't think she'll get out of that quarter.

yeah, he gets wound up but only in a really positive way. was just looking at the odds for the ladies event. what do you think of kuznetsova's price? seems pretty big for an ex-winner with some decent results this year but I don't follow the ladies game at all really.
Kuznetsova lost to hingis last week, which i found a shock cus she should have overpowered her.For me in the womens I will keep a eye on mauresmo. She gets no respect at all eventhough she has won 2 slams. I believe she is coming back from injury.. clijsters is definitely out so watching mauresmo this week will be interesting.....Also ivanovic's odds will be shortened as she won in montreal over hingis.....

Re: US Open Mens - 28th Aug - 10th Sept It should be a Federer/Nadal final in the mens. Federer is the hot favourite and Nadal is a clear 2nd fav. in the womens i expect a Sharapova/Henin final. These 2 are the clear favourites to win. Mauresmo i still feel is an overated player. maybe its cos of her ugly awkward style of play that puts me off but I just don't see her winning. Roddick should get to the semi's but Nadal should beat him

Re: US Open Mens - 28th Aug - 10th Sept After a look at the first round matches, let's get some bets down: Dlouhy to bt Hajek 5/6 Will Hill OK, so these are basically clay courters, but Dlouhy has been playing decently on and off this year. He is an improving sort, to use the horse racing parlance. Both are relatively young, 23, but I feel Dlouhy's greater ATP experience will see him through. I think Hajek has made the draw due to his clay court performance, really, and has no place in a hard court Grand Slam. 5/6 is a bit out of line with others, so take it now. 12 points on Dlouhy. Jankovic to bt Dulko 2/9 WillHill Voskoboeva to bt Birnerova 4/6 WillHill Jankovic has been greatly improved recently, seems to have discovered a winning attitude. Am relying on Voskoboeva continuing last week's good hard court form against the Czech. 8 points double I will also be laying the following big names: Coria v Sweeting 1.61 Betfair Gaudio v Seppi 1.66 Betfair Ferrero v Bastl 1.14 Betfair Blake v Monaco 1.10 Betfair Murray v Kendrick 1.10 Betfair Monfils v Russell 1.16 Betfair All have question marks over fitness or form. Coria and Gaudio are liable to bad days at the office, especially on a hard court. Coria is playing a no doubt hungry young American, and Seppi has some form this year. Ferrero was impressive the other week in getting to a final, but Bastl has come through qualifying impressively and may be worth a bet for trading purposes. Blake has been unimpressive on the hard courts this year, comprehensively beaten by Gasquet recently. We know Murray is sublime when 'at it', but questions remain over a five set match, and his heavy recent schedule may have taken more out of him than it appears. Monfils has had injury problems recently, and has shown little form. The American Russell has come through qualifying well, beating Luczak and Capdeville. This would be my 'nap' lay of the round, but all are speculative to some extent. 10 points lay on all. Gicquel to beat C Rochus 4/7 Stan James Don't think this price will be around for long, C Rochus has been woeful all year. Gicquel on the other hand, has been OK and has played reasonably well recently. Well enough to beat a seemingly disillusioned and out of form Rochus. 14 points. Nieminen to bt Malisse 5/6 Ladbrokes Deliberately taking this at Ladbrokes, with their 'point played=bet stands' rule. Malisse retired last night v Calleri. Not sure of the extent of the injury, but regardless Nieminen will make him hit balls, and Malisse's fragile physical and mental condition may not outlast the Finn. 7 points Lastly, the 'banker's acca'. All should get through easily, barring injury. Quality players with their heads right for the event. Ljubicic to bt Lopez 1.25 Berdych to bt Pashanki 1.05 Clement to bt Novak 1.30 Davydenko to bt Delgado 1.10 Gasquet to bt Simmonds 1.06 Haas to bt Kuznetsov 1.08 Tursunov to bt Kunitsyn 1.12 Nadal to bt Phillipoussis 1.09 11 points acca. Fancy one ante post bet, from Eurobet. Who will go further? Davydenko v Tursunov 1.85 Unreliable though he is, Davy must be favoured here, especially at 1.85 the pair. Davy's journey would be: Delgado, Schuettler or Mahut, Vliegen. Tursunov faces Kunitsyn, then Del Potro or Falla, then Berdych. Berdych will beat him, so can Davy get past his opponents? I think so. 15 points on Davydenko. Mahut to bt Schuettler 1.61 Laddies Schuettler is simply past it. Has hardly won a match this year. Whereas Mahut has been playing on the hard, and to not too shoddy a level. This is a gimme. Nap of the round, along with Gicquel to bt Rochus. 18 points. And a 8 point double on Gicquel/Mahut at 1.5 and 1.61 at Ladbrokes. Starting bank: 100 points. Good luck all.

Re: US Open Mens - 28th Aug - 10th Sept Nice post NW. Might as well put up an early "banker" as well while I'm here. Djokovic 3-0 Young Donald Young has been given a wildcard here and is obviously seen as a good prospect for the future having only recently turned 17. His results on the main tour and even in challengers however suggest that for the time being he's completely out of his depth at this level. He has played 2 matches on the main tour this year losing both in straight sets, including a 6-0, 6-0 loss to Berlocq (one of the main tour's worst players this year) in Miami. Djokovic has been very impressive in the last 2 slams beating the likes of Gonzalez, Haas, Monfils and Robredo. I can't see him losing a set in this one. Available at a stand-out 1.4 on stanjames. (paddypower go just 1.25 and and bet365 1.29)

Re: US Open Mens - 28th Aug - 10th Sept I'm going for a different strategy here. To be honest I'm bored and not getting the results that I want, so I'm going to try something else. I'll be starting with a bank of 1000pts for the tournament and going for very aggresive stakes on mostly accys and multiples. It's almost going to be an old school "Glory Hunt". I'll be trying to stick to bookies that void in the event of a retirement as I consider that a lot safer. Will probably end in horrible failiure, bt it should be fun:ok.

Re: US Open Mens - 28th Aug - 10th Sept Here we go.... Accy @ 4.57 Stan James 200pts CLEMENT v Novak @ 1.3 BAGHDATIS v Waske @ 1.13 SODERLING v Karlovic @ 1.25 BECKER v Volandri @ 1.44 MORRISON v Phau @ 1.44 JANKOVIC v Dulko @ 1.2 Clement really should be solid here. He's got a good record at the Open and has played some good stuff this year. Novak is well past it, I've seem him a couple of times this year and he's really out of shape. He hasn't played since the end of July and hasn't played on a hardcourt since the US Open last year. He's a player I've always liked but his day is done and Clement should be too mobile and have too much from the back. Baggy has been the Grand Slam guy this season and I definately see him raising his game here. He has struggled a little over the summer but even the way he's been playing should be far too much for Waske. Waske is on a 2-8 run and hasn't played on a hard court since the Aussie where he lost in the first round. Really don't give him much hope here. Soderling looks a good thing here. Ivo just hasn't been playing due to a knee injury and showed last week losing to Rusedski that he's very rusty. I can't see him getting the serve or the game back in time for this one against a very good opponent. Soderling has looked very good the past few weeks only losing to guys in very good form (Ferrero and Davydenko) and I'm sure he'll have too much here. Becker has been playing well in the Challengers the past few weeks and after cruising through qualifying I can't see him havin many problems here. Volandri is very poor on hard courts and he's been serving worse than usual this year which will make this very tough. He has a poor record of 1-4 at the Open with the only win coming against a poor American wildcard. Becker has put in a few very good performances this year and when confidence is up he should be backed against an opponent really not suited to the conditions. Morrison did well in qualifying and is coming off some good challenger results ad running Roddick very close in Indy. He's a solid sort of player and that's the typre that should do a job on Phau. The German is 0-10 in his last 10 matches and confidence must be at a real low. He has been thumped in his last two matches and I can't see him getting anything here. Jankovic has really found her game after a shocking start to the year, and she has played some great stuff in the US recently. I'm not concerned over the withdrawl from Montreal, I'm sure that was just down to tiredness from the week before. Dulko has been shocking lately and is there for the taking. 50pt trebles from 4 William Hill 200pts SRICHAPHAN v Acasuso @ 2 PLESS v Martin @ 1.62 MOLIK v King @ 1.72 WAWRINKA v Chela @ 2 Srich hasn't played too well this year, but in recent weeks he looks to be hitting better and has done alright. He has a good record at the Open and a nice 2-0 H2H both on hard courts in straight sets. Acasuso played well in Toronto but he's put in some performances since then where he's really well away and I'm not sure about him in this one. He is 1-5 at the US Open and playing against Srichaphan who has a much better hard court game, I think he'll have some real problems. Pless looks to have a great chance here, playing a very poor opponent. Martin has played 3 hard court events this summer and hasn't won a set, hell, he hasn't even got more than 3 games in a set against average opposition (Clement, Almagro, Querrey). He is clearly really struggling and I can't see him getting it together here. Pless did well coming through qualifying and he has enough to get a win here. H2H is 1-0 with Pless winning in this event in 2001. Molik has been struggling a lot this year but I was still surprised by this price. Since Wimbledon she is 0-3 but those matches have been against Myskina, Domachowska and Golovin all of whom are far better than King. These have been close matches and especially against Golovin she was close to the win. I think she's getting better and the timing is definately coming back. I think this is a great chance for her to get a win and some points and she should take it. Young King hasn't really done anything of note yet, and I think she's definately worth taking on. Wawrinka is ready to step up I feel after winning the title in Umag and I think he's ready to get some wins. He's done alright in the US since that win, and he's done enough to make me think be should be favourite over Chela. Chela himself has seemed to find some form lately, but the opposition hasn't been up to much and I still can't rate him on a hard court (except against Lleyton, obviously). This one could be very close, but I'm going to side with the youngster. Current bank: 600pts

Anyone betting on the outright markets may want to know that if you bet with Boylesports and your selection gets beat by either Federer/Nadal in the mens draw or Mauresmo/Henin in the womens draw' date=' they'll give you your stake back.[/quote'] That's not bad. I was going to go for Nadal and Dementieva E/W but I don't think I bother, think it would be more profitable to just back them in the individual matches.

Re: US Open Mens - 28th Aug - 10th Sept I've done a short price accumulator of Davydenko, Roddick, Baghdatis, Haas, Gasquet and Berdych. Not much reasoning involved. All are in good form against significantly weaker opponents. I've mainly done it to give me an interest in the first round to stop me from throwing money away on "boredom" singles, which I have a tendency to do in the early rounds of televised events. Pays 1.56. best of luck everyone.

Re: US Open Mens - 28th Aug - 10th Sept i think the value of the round has to be Almagro. He had 6 match points against ferrer last week and bottled it but if he gets a sniff this time he will take him out. He has a good serve and knocks them aces in. bet365 have him at @ 3.40 and pinny @ 3.51

Re: US Open Mens - 28th Aug - 10th Sept Forgot to mention Seppi v gaudio. gaudio is a mentally dsturbed person and he if fav against a young guy in Seppi who is looking to beat some big names...They play tomorrow and seppi's odds are 2.20 at willhill.

Tip Detail
SportTennis
EventMorrison - Phau
SelectionMorrison
Strength10/10
Date28/08/2006
Bookmaker/PricePinnacle Sports @ 1.44 (Back)
ReasoningMorrison against poor Phau.Phau with awfull record lately losing everything in 1st rounds.0:10 in last 10 games.Morrison went throught qualies easilly and played few good challengers before US Open.He also played good tournament in Indianapolis where he made it to the 3rd round and gave tough time to Roddick.Any other result than Morrison win will be a shocker for me.
Tip Detail
SportTennis
EventZheng - Peschke
SelectionZheng
Strength10/10
Date28/08/2006
Bookmaker/PricePinnacle Sports @ 1.21 (Back)
ReasoningCrappy odds but it should be a safe bet.Peschke in really poor form while Zheng is very good on hard.She won in Stockholm two weeks before US.Nothing more to say really.

Re: US Open Mens - 28th Aug - 10th Sept Oh well, bad day today. Both bets lost, but I'll be back tomorrow;) Current bank: 600pts Edit: Opps, a little bit premature, saw the 1.01 on Martin and thought it was over. Into a 4th set now, and Wawrinka is doing much better against Chela, so still an outside chance of a return:hope

Re: US Open Mens - 28th Aug - 10th Sept heh, nice bit of jinxing there and a nice return on one of your trebles. well played. still can't believe djokovic lost that first set. after that it was how I expected it to be from the start, a stroll in the park.

heh, nice bit of jinxing there and a nice return on one of your trebles. well played. still can't believe djokovic lost that first set. after that it was how I expected it to be from the start, a stroll in the park.
:lol :lol That's exactly what I was going for:ok Unlucky with Djokovic, for a set there Young looked like a proper player:eek :eek :eek So from yesterday.....
50pt trebles from 4 William Hill 200pts SRICHAPHAN v Acasuso @ 2 :D PLESS v Martin @ 1.62 :D MOLIK v King @ 1.72 :@ WAWRINKA v Chela @ 2 :D
Returned: 324pts Current bank: 924pts

Re: US Open Mens - 28th Aug - 10th Sept Accy @ 4.71 Stan James 200pts MIRNYI v Moodie @ 1.4 DEL POTRO v Falla @ 1.57 MAYER v Koubek @ 1.4 CALLERI v Moya @ 1.53 Mirnyi isn't having a great year but recently he's got a couple of wins and I think he should win this big serving battle. He's got a good record here and the conditions look like suiting this year. Moodie is having a shocking run apart from a good week in DC he has shown nothing. Max has more to offer and there could be tie breaks, but I'd expect him to come through. Battle of the qualifiers here and I fancy del Potro to come through. He's been on a cracking run recently winning a challenger beating Verdasco, Norman and Becker and came through a pretty tough quali draw without dropping a set including beating Arthurs. I've heard a lot of hype about him this year on clay, but now he seems to be producing the goods on hard courts. Falla did well too to come through quali, but del Potro has a much better game and a lot more potential so I fancy him to come through. Mayer found his game a few months ago and has really been flying since then. he's won a couple of challengers and got to quarters and a final in ATP events and has had some very goos wins. All of that was on clay but he's the type I think can adapt quickly and I'd expect him to do pretty well here. Koubek did well to come through qualifying, but really he hasn't shown enough this year for me to fancy him here. This is a rare occasion where I will be opposing a qualifier! Calleri showed great form last week and I'd expect him to continue that in the first round here. Moya has really struggled this year, even on his favoured clay, and against an opponent that will really move him around, I have to expect he'll struggle. H2H is 4-1 to Moya but that includes a retirement and a final set breaker, also Calleri won the last meeting this year on hard courts, so the 4-1 really doesn't appear to have much bearing. Current bank: 724pts

SportTennis
EventMyskina vs Azarenka
SelectionMyskina to win 2-0 in sets (Lay)
Strength10/10
Date29/08/2006
Bookmaker/Price>Betfair @ 1.71 (Lay)
ReasoningMyskina is better player, but she is totally overrated here. Odds on here are around 1.27 are too low. Myskina didn't impress latelly. She played finals in Stockholm, but lost two matches since she came to US. She lost to Peer and Santangelo. On the other hand, Azarenka isn't playing better tennis than Myskina, but for sure she will have chances today. They already playeed two games, and both times it was really closed match: 2006 Miami 32 Hard (O) A.MYSKINA 6-3 7-5 2006 Rome 64 Clay (O) A.MYSKINA 6-3 3-6 7-6(6)
SportTennis
EventFedak vs Poutchek
SelectionPoutchek to win 2-0 in sets (Lay)
Strength10/10
Date29/08/2006
Bookmaker/Price>Betfair @ 3.05 (Lay)
ReasoningTatiana Poutchek played quite well before US Open. She was a finalist at Bronx challenger, but when she faces up against any better opponent she is losing. For example, Schruff, Savchuk, CHan, Spears were better than her. On the other side, Fedak isn't in a best form. But, Poutchek is right opponent for her to show everything she can. Poutchek is overrated here, this should be 50-50 match, most likelly ending in three sets.
SportTennis
EventJackson vs Pironkova
SelectionJackson to win 2-0 in sets (Lay)
Strength10/10
Date29/08/2006
Bookmaker/Price>Betfair @ 2.84 (Lay)
ReasoningPironkova has 16-12 this season. Of course, this is best season for her so far. She started very well defeating Venus Williams at AO. But, Pironkova has been playing very well latelly, too. She reached semies in Stockholm defeating names like Vierin, Castano, Li and lost to Zheng in two. On the other side, Jackson Jamea has 17-15 this season and should be a slight favourite. She was playing in US whole summer. But, she didn't impress a lot. She was losing against names like Pennetta and Hantuchova. While she had to play three sets against players like Diaz-Oliva, Flipkens etc. Imo, 50-50 so I really don't believe that young Pironkova will lose this in two.
SportTennis
EventPratt vs Sequera
SelectionPratt to win 2-0 in sets (Lay)
Strength10/10
Date29/08/2006
Bookmaker/Price>Betfair @ 2.36 (Lay)
ReasoningMilagros Sequera has 26 years, but without any better result so far. She has 4-4 record this season. She had some nice performances during challenger season in US, and was more than great at qualifying rounds on US open. She will face Nicole Prat now. Pratt has 33 years and I really don't believe that she can totally out play in-form player. Pratt also played q rounds at US open, but wasn't so good as Milagros. Pratt is overrated here and I don't believe she can take this in two.
SportTennis
EventShaughnessy vs Vinci
SelectionShaughnessy to win 2-0 in sets (Lay)
Strength10/10
Date29/08/2006
Bookmaker/Price>Betfair @ 2.00 (Lay)
ReasoningRoberta Vinci was in great form at the begining of the season, but somehow she is underperforming latelly. She played nice tennis on hard, but latelly she played clay only. So, she still didn't play any game on US hardcourt tournaments, and this might be dissadvantage for her. But, at least she improved her tennis and reached quarter-finals of Palermo. Also, Roberta Vinci already won against Shaughnessy this season. It was at AO in January, two sets. Also, Meghan didn't impress too much. She was losing against names like Yakimova, Mirza, Vesnina...so I see value in laying her win in two sets.
SportTennis
EventLikhovtseva vs Sun
SelectionLikhovtseva to win 2-0 in sets (Lay)
Strength10/10
Date29/08/2006
Bookmaker/Price>Betfair @ 2.70 (Lay)
ReasoningElena Likhovtseva isn't in a best shape. She played only two tournaments and lost both in first round. Firstly, she lost to Ruano Pacual then to Schiavone. And overall, she didn't make any better result for a long time. Tin-Tian Sun is playing better and better. Last week she won Patty Schyder and in second round played a three setter game against Samantha Stosur. Imo, can't be two sets game for Russian lady.

SportTennis
EventMirnyi vs Moodie
SelectionMoodie to win (Lay)
Strength10/10
Date29/08/2006
Bookmaker/Price>Betfair @ 3.05 (Lay)
ReasoningMax Mirnyi was in poor form back last two -three months, but now he seems getting better and better. Giant server will have a lot of advantages here comparing to Moodie. They are both great servers, but Mirnyi is much better when we don't look serve only. I believe this will be easy win for him.