Eurovision Song Contest 2006

Re: Eurovision Song Contest 2006

I have just listened to all the songs.:loon :unsure :wall I can see why Greece is favourite - as defending champs, they've gone the age-old route of 'slushy ballad follow up'. :puke Sweden - swirling Abba-esque swirls, strong chorus. Belgium is similar but the chorus seems a bit flat. More importantly, they, as a nation, don't piss any one else off. :rollin It'll win. :hope Each-way - Cyprus, Denmark. :hope (Then again, I thought Bosnia & Herzegovina should have won last year.) None of them will ever top Sahlene from a couple or so years back though - she was hot.
Just reminding myself of my bets. Go Sweden :dude

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just reminding myself of my bets. Go Sweden :dude
:clap Our contest is a true star, Swedens Mariah Carey if you will. I of course want her to win but if she doesnt I hope that Lordi places higher because of my bet. GL mate :hope

Re: Eurovision Song Contest 2006 UK has given us the Beatles, Rolling stones and now.. Daz Sampson? :loon Didnt like the song at all. It also gave a worrying feeling of the japanese school girl-fetisch.. And what was that act before him? "we are the winners of Eurovision"? Give me a break.. :eyes There still are some good acts though! Like Bosnia, Sweden, Romania, Russia and Finland.

I have just the one bet tonight.. H2H: Sweden vs. Finland Sweden are seriously haussed in this competition. We often are as somebody already pointed out but also many will recognize the artist as she has entered two times before and won once. Still feel that we have overestimated her. Finland (Lordi) are very interesting. The hard rockers of Europe have never had anyone to vote for, well now they do. That is enough reasoning I think Sweden - Finland 2, @ 2.95
Bet won, easy... :clap:clap:clap:clap

Re: Eurovision Song Contest 2006 Agreed, Good old Terry. Next year must pay more attention to geography and politics at the time. The best songs do not win this, or even come close, though at least it's something different that won this year. Congrats to anyone on Finland.

Re: Eurovision Song Contest 2006 I shouldn't have let the timing change my mind about not having a bet and I really shouldn't have had a gamble. I should have done more than a little bit of research (just looked at a couple of polls) and perhaps even actually listen to the songs. I said myself the UK had no chance but I was swayed by the 'money' apparently being bet on Daz Sampson that he could at least finish in mid-division ahead of Brian Kennedy. Ireland's song was a dull song but it's the type of ballad that a certain section of Eurovision voters like. What on earth possessed me to bet on Germany to do well?! They never do well! Hardly anybody votes for the French, the Germans, the Spanish or the UK these days. What did I do right last year? i got lucky and I took notice of the polls. What did I do wrong this year? I got unlucky and I took notice of the polls. No fun working from 8:30pm to 3am at the weekend and listening to Ken Bruce on Radio 2, I'll tell you that much. I can't cry "FIX!" about Finland winning as it was a very well-organised Eurovision gamble that I yet again chose to ignore. I should begin to embrace the late gamble. :eyes Sometimes it's the performance that can sway voters but backed up with a heavy gamble, it's game over before the singing even starts. It really isn't about the song these days. I don't think rock fans have suddenly crawled out of their hiding places just to vote for Eurovision....ten minutes to vote and very well-co-ordinated those connections were. Again. What have we learnt? 1. Late gambles occasionally pay off. 2. Nobody votes en masse for France, Germany, Spain or the UK. 3. Internet polls can only tell you so much. 4. Voting blocs still generally in force but not necessarily in the traditional sense. 5. Gut instinct can be a good decision-maker but goddamn, act on it. 6. Hindsight is always 20/20. :lol 7. Don't try and handicap something like the Eurovision Song Contest when bladdered! :rollin Well done to anyone who made money from this year's contest. :ok

Re: Eurovision Song Contest 2006 Cheers stereoman! That was some good reading eventhough im sorry you lost.. What became more clear than ever was that the Western European countries are the worst at supporting eachother. As an example I think that Sweden didnt give one point to England and England in turn only gave 1 pt to Sweden. I guess that there are many more examples to this but thats the only one that comes to mind. Point is, we dont vote for our neighbours as much as the Eastern European countries do. The former Soviet republic countries are notorious at giving eachother high numbers, i.e 8, 10 or 12. I placed a bet on this competition with only one thought in mind: The rockers of Europe finally have SOMEONE to vote for. This has never happened before. There arent people that dig Eurovision style songs but surely enough there are rockers in every city and every village in Europe. I hope that this can open for some new styles of music in the competition. And yes.. I´m a rocker too ;)

Re: Eurovision Song Contest 2006 Was Lithuania's song REALLY miles better than Daz Sampson? 'We are the winners......of Eurovision. Vote for, vote for, vote for the winners.' What a load of pap. Stereoman is right about the voting blocs still being in force. Lithuania's score PROVES IT.