** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

Welsh Open Snooker Qualifying

I've got the snooker bug now!! Stan James have priced up the qualifiers which begin on Tuesday and there are 2 that have attracted my support. Both are short prices but both could still be overpriced as they are having decent seasons and are playing far inferior opponents. 10pts D.Roe to beat J.McBain 1.50 10pts M.Allen to beat L.Fernandez 1.40 James McBain has yet to win a match this season, losing in the 1st round of all 6 qualifying events whereas his more experienced opponent is having a decent season qualifying for the Grand Prix losing to Ken Doherty as well as qualifying for the upcoming China Open. He narrowly lost 5-4 to Barry Hawkins in the final round of the Malta Cup qualifying as well. Given these stats a maximum bet of David Roe looks the obvious call. Although Fernandez has done a bit better this season, like McBain he's still to qualify for an event this season whereas his opponent has qualified for the Grand Prix, UK Championship, Malta Cup and most recently he's made it to the final qualifying round of the World Championship. Allen is the current World Amateur champion despite being only 17 but could easily be half of his price. He also looks a good thing.

Re: Welsh Open Snooker Qualifying

already stated above, blades.;) Are you taking them just as singles or do you reckon a double is in with a good chance as well, kev?;)
I'm quite confident they will both win T, I don't tip doubles though. Both look good things and so a double should be well worthwhile.

Re: Welsh Open Snooker Qualifying You are right, Paul. These qualifying matches can be dangerous as I've spoken about before on other threads. Knowing that and having it in mind I have chosen carefully and used previous qualifying form as my guide. As I said earlier I'm very confident these 2 will come in. As for your Mum, judging by the record of Roe's opponent, it could be your mum! ;)

Re: Welsh Open Snooker Qualifying I think it is mate, she aint answering the dog and bone anyway. :lol A couple that caught my eye were McDonnell @ 2.50 and Storey @ 1.72, but McDonnell hasn't had the best season and the only reason I pick him out, is that they are of equal ability, hence should be 1.90. Storey was the first pro to beat Ronnie in his first year as a pro, although he should have done more since then. He looks a decent price but my concern would be why he didn't turn up for the Masters qualifying tourny. So, no bets for me.

Re: Welsh Open Snooker Qualifying I did think about Storey myself mate, I remember him winning a match or two at the Crucible a few years back and he threatened to finally break through but it hasn't been the case. His absence from the Masters qualifying also didn't go unnoticed with me either. I was also thinking of backing Judd Trump but trusting a 17 year old is just about safe but trusting a 15 year old no matter how good he is, is just a little too risky for me!

Re: Welsh Open Snooker Qualifying I would agree with you there, Paul. It was interesting a few months back the Beeb "experts" were giving what they thought would be their top 8 in 2010. There were lots of upcoming stars, Maguire (upcoming at the time), Ding, Robertson and one or two said Trump too. That's a fair bit of expectation to have to deal with at such a young age isn't it? Shaun Murphy had the same and here he is 10 years into his career almost and he's still not a top 16 player. By building up the expectation it does the player no favours when going to qualifiers as everyone wants them as a scalp. I've no doubt that eventually Trump will be as good as they forecast though, I once played in a pro-am in Northampton and he played in the event too so I watched him and he just looked so natural. He was 12 at the time I think.