Non-League matchday previews 24/25 season

Darran

Altrincham v Woking
Things off the field are not looking great at Woking as it has been mentioned that they wont see out the season if they don't find new investment and they are up for sale for a pound. Maybe the seriousness has been overplayed, but clearly there isn't much money at the club. They struggled last season and I think they could be in for a struggle this season as well. They look poor up front as well and Alty look solid favourites to beat them on the opening day. As I mentioned in the ante-post preview I think Alty can have another good season and be in and around the play-offs again. They look in much better shape going into the season opener and hopefully they can get off to a winning start.

Darlington v Kidderminster
Clearly Kidderminster are likely to go well this season, but as mentioned in the ante-post preview I worry about goals for them and signing Ben Beresford on loan doesn't strike me as a title winning signing given he featured for two relegated sides in Gloucester and Banbury last season. If I'm right about Darlington having a good season then they are overpriced for this game so I'm happy to take a chance on them wining this.

Kings Lynn v Warrington
The home side should be in for a much better season this time around and they look very strong up front. I don't really see Warrington being up to a great deal this season and this is the sort of game that strikes me that would see Kings Lynn odds on if it was taking place later in the season.

Hampton v Hornchurch
A lot of change at Hampton this season and they faded very badly out of a play-off spot near the end of last term as well. It looks to me like there isn't a great deal of money at the club and they went for a cheap option when it came to a manager. They could struggle, whereas Hornchurch were different class to the rest of the Isthmian Premier last season and I they should be up to doing well this season as well back at this level for the first time in a while. I'd make them favs here.

Hemel Hempstead v Salisbury
Salisbury might find it tough this season and with Hemel being one of the ante-post picks I would be hoping they can pick up 3 points here. They certainly have the stronger side on paper and hopefully they can prove it on the opening day.

Welling v Aveley
Aveley were a big surprise last season after back-to-back promotions and they really impressed me. They fully deserved their high finish, but this season I think it will be very different as the squad looks weaker and I think they will struggle. Rod Stringer came in and transformed Welling in the final months of last season to see them survive and he wouldn't have hung around if he didn't think they could have a good season. He's got a solid looking side together and this game for me has been purely priced up on what happened last season. Welling not even being favourites to start with is just crazy and that is why I make them the best bet of the opening weekend.

Hitchin v Bromsgrove (Southern Prem Central)
Hitchin were relegated, but got a late reprieve and it might just be a one season reprieve as they look set to struggle. Bromsgrove should do OK this season and will be hopeful of picking up a nice 3 points to get the season up and running.

Bishops Stortford v Alvechurch (Southern Prem Central)
As I mentioned in the ante-post preview I don't really understand why Stortford are at the head of the market. Last season they almost gave up before the season began after being placed in the National League North and they duly finished detached at the bottom. To go from that to challenging for a title is going to take some doing and I think they will be happy with a solid season. Alvechurch have been backed for the title and I can understand why as they have made some decent signings. They look a big price to win this game and it wouldn't surprise me if they finished above their hosts come April.

Wimborne v Hanwell (Southern Prem South)/Ashton v Blyth (Northern Prem)
Hanwell only just survived relegation last season, but they will find it tough again this term. Wimborne are one of the ante-post picks and I'm hoping they can continuing their promotion winning form from last season. Blyth look in a right mess after relegation and have been awful in pre-season with a team that barely looks up to standard. Ashton should be up there and will be expecting to start their season with a win.

Prices from 9pm Friday

Altrincham 2pts @ 5/4 with Bet365 and Betfred (take up to Evs)
Darlington 1pt @ 5/2 with Bet365, Paddy Power, Betfair and Betfred (take up to 2/1)
Kings Lynn 1pt @ 6/5 with Skybet, Paddy Power and Betfair (Hills are 5/4 and take up to Evs)
Hornchurch 1pt @ 7/4 with Betfred, Paddy Power and Betfair (take up to 6/4)
Hemel Hempstead 1pt @ 6/5 with Betfred, Paddy Power and Betfair (Hills are 11/8 and Skybet are 13/10 and take up to Evs)
Welling 2.5pts @ 17/10 with William Hill and Skybet (take up to 5/4)
Bromsgrove 1pt @ 8/5 with Betfred (take up to 5/4)
Alvechurch 1pt @ 23/10 with Bet365, William Hill and Betfred (take up to 15/8)
Wimborne/Ashton 1pt double 2.69/1 with Betfred

Boston v Forest Green Rovers
Rochdale were on my shortlist last league and they had a very easy time of it when beating Boston 3-0. Boston looked out of their depth a bit and I think they could find it tough in the early stages of the season. I think Forest Green should be odds on to beat. They scored 3 good goals against Aldershot and whilst they also conceded 3 times, I saw enough to think they should be in play-off contention at least. Odds against looks too big.

Woking v Gateshead
Some crazy opening prices on Gateshead as somehow bookies priced them up at 2/1. Woking's best chances against Altrincham came before Altrincham had a man sent off and they created very little after going a goal down. Granted Gateshead were helped from some woeful Ebbsfleet defending, but it was still an impressive performance to beat them so easily. Whilst the fancy prices are long gone I still think there is some juice in the price.

Alfreton v Kings Lynn
Kings Lynn were very impressive on the opening day in their win over Warrington and it backed my ante-post thoughts that they could be in for a good season. They look too big a price here against an Alfreton side who struggled at Southport on the opening day. Granted Alfreton do tend to be hard to beat at home, but at over 2/1 it is worth taking a chance on the away side getting another 3 points.

Needham Market v Southport
Speaking of Southport they are worth backing to win again on Saturday. Needham Market look set for a season of struggle and they found it tough against Curzon last Saturday. Southport are fancied to do well this season by plenty and I certainly think they have the squad to be looking at a play-off sport. They ought to be too strong for their hosts.

Oxford City v Darlington
I thought Darlington did well against Kidderminster last week despite losing 2-1 and it was a fairly even game. City on the other hand scored an injury time equalizer against Marine and whilst they passed the ball around a lot (451 passes attempted against 186), there wasn't a huge amount of end product. I think Darlington are too big a price to win this as I reckon they can finish above City this season.

Aveley v Tonbridge Angels
Whilst it was a wonder goal which gave Welling the win over Aveley last week, the home side certainly deserved the victory and it backs up my theory that they could be in for a struggle this season. Tonbridge had a cracking start to the season beating Weymouth 3-2 and it was a deserved win as well. On the back of that I think they are too big a price for this.

Walton and Hersham v Merthyr
When I was looking last night at the games Merthyr were 7/4 to win this, but that price went at 3.30am! Still I think there is something in the price on the back of 2 good victories. Walton lost 1-0 to Totton on the opening day, but Totton played just over half the game with 10 men. They did beat Marlow 3-0 on Tuesday night, but Marlow are expected to struggle this season and Merthyr will be a very different test.

Prices from 11am Friday

Forest Green Rovers 2pts @ 6/5 with Bet365 and Betfred (take up to 10/11)
Gateshead 1pt @ 5/4 with Skybet, Ladbrokes, Betfred and Coral (Hills are 13/10 and take up to 11/10)
Kings Lynn 1pt @ 21/10 with Bet365, Paddy Power and Betfair (Betfred are 11/5 and take up to 7/4)
Southport 2pts @ 13/10 with Bet365, Skybet, Paddy Power, William Hill and Betfair (Betfred are 11/8 and take up to Evs)
Darlington 1pt @ 13/5 with Betfair, BetVictor, Betfred, Skybet and Paddy Power (Hills are 14/5 and take up to 2/1)
Tonbridge 1pt @ 2/1 with everyone (Betfred are 21/10 and take up to 7/4)
Merthyr 1pt @ 11/8 with Paddy Power, Betfair, Betfred and Bet365 (take up to 6/5)

This thread has more posts. To see them, you'll need to sign up or sign in.