Racing Chat - Saturday 3rd August

Goodwood 1.50
The final day of Glorious Goodwood begins with the 1M 4F Group 3 Coral Glorious Stakes with just five declared to run. There’s only 4lb officially between the quintet with chances given to all five. Both Phantom Flight and Al Aasy were making their seasonal re-appearances when finishing first and second in the listed Steventon Stakes at Newbury a fortnight ago. One length separated the pair that day in favour of the former and it’s George Scott’s five year old gelding who gets the pick to confirm the form. That was his first run for Scott having being gelded and in a first time hood so any one or a combination of them helped him improve to score then and with his trainer in such fine form can go close. Aimeric is another with a chance along with the other pair Lions Pride and Relentless Voyager but it’s the Callum Shepherd ridden Phantom Flight for me.

PHANTOM FLIGHT 1 point win @ 10/3 bet365

Newmarket 2.05
The first of two races shown by the ITV cameras today is this class 2 fillies nursery run over 6F. Nine of the dozen runners are making their handicap debuts so a close watch on the market is strongly advised. One of the nine who could be well handicapped is the Clive Cox trained Magic Mild who enters handicaps off a mark of 86. She made her third start a winning one in a maiden fillies maiden at the July meeting here when coming hom e unchallenged by 1 1/2L with subsequent winners back in 3rd and 5th. Miss Fascinator was the latter who re-opposes here with 3 3/4L to make up on the pick with only a one pound pull in her favour and I can’t see how some firms have her a shorter price than the selection. The ground was good to soft that day so if the ground rides fast she’ll have questions to answer but is still worth chancing with Saffie Osborne coming in for the ride with some of the bigger names riding at Goodwood.

MAGIC MILD 1 point each way @ 8/1 bet365 1/5th 1234

Goodwood 2.25
A maximum field of fourteen run in the class 2 1M 6F Coral Summer Handicap. Andrew Balding’s Fairbanks landed a bit of a punt last time out at Newmarket’s July meeting on his first run at today’s trip and despite a 6lb rise in the weights can follow up here under Oisin Murphy who was on top last time out. He can take this en route to the Ebor Handicap at York later in the month. Back in fourth at Newmarket was the running on Charlie Johnston trained Knightswood who went down by 2 3/4L and is now 7lb better off at the revised weights. He can make the frame but for me this is all about Fairbanks.

FAIRBANKS 1 point win @ 41 William Hill

Newmarket 2.40
The 1M 4F listed British EBF Chalice Stakes is for fillies and mares only and has attracted a field of nine. Joint best on official ratings are John & Thad Gosden’s Lmay who has won only one of her ten starts and should go well but she’s not for me and Simon & Ed Crisford’s Fairy Glen. The latter is an interesting runner making her turf debut having won novice stakes events at Wolverhampton and Kempton in good style. She’s the pick here stepping up in grade.

FAIRY GLEN 1 point win @ 7/2 BetVictor

Goodwood 3.00
The 1M 6F Group 2 Qatar Lillie Langtry Stakes for fillies and mares is up next with a dozen having declared to run. The best in at the weights is John & Thady Gosden’s Free Wind who went off an odds on shot in this race last year when failing to stay in the heavy ground. She went down by 6L to the impressive Bluestocking on her re-appearance which in hindsight wasn’t too bad an effort as that one went on to win the Group 1 Pretty Polly and finish runner up in last weekend’s King George at Ascot. Free Wind will be sharper for that run and looks the one they all have to beat. Last year’s winner Sumo Sam and French challenger Melo Melo would seem to need the ground to ease to have claims and maybe it’s David Menuisier’s Caius Chorister who is the biggest danger dropping in distance.

FREE WIND 1 Pont win @ 3/1 William Hill

Goodwood 3.35
The day’s big handicap is the twenty eight runner Coral Stewards Cup, a Heritage Handicap run over the straight 6F. As you would expect many have chances including last weekend’s Ascot winner Albasheer stepping up a furlong and Billyjo who was a bit unlucky earlier in the week over 7F here and sports first time cheek pieces. The one that catches my eye however is the Andrew Balding trained Purosangue who is 4lb well in today having finished runner up in a 5F soft ground Group 3 at Sandown a month ago after these weights were issued. He handles fast ground as well and the track shouldn’t be an issue having finished a neck runner up in the Molecomb Stakes here last year. This is his first handicap and with a lot of ticks in the right boxes is the one I want to be with.

PUROSANGUE 1 point each way @ 8/1 Ladbrokes 1/5th 12345

I think Saturdays will be fun day from now on.....having a shot at the big race race of the day in forecasts etc .......this week is the stewards cup ....I've concentrated everything on this 28 runner cavalry charge and the results are 

Lethal levi 441 12/1  Val 0.61 

Purasangue. 438 9/1 Val 0.42

Apollo one. 436 16/1 Val 0.88 

Dark trooper. 430 11/2 Val 0.33

Rohan.  422  33/1 Val 1.63 

Interesting results ....top 4 are clear of 5th making the top 4 prime forecast material .....Apollo one looks the best value bet in top 4 .....overall the best value bet bet looks to be Rohaan at 33/1 Ew with 6 places or better as he could run into a place 

Forecasts top 4 ....12 bets x 1.00

5 PT Ew lethal levi and Apollo one 

Just this one race 

Edited by richard-westwood

This thread has more posts. To see them, you'll need to sign up or sign in.