Racing chat -Friday 19th July

Villa Chris

8 hours ago, Villa Chris said:

6.35 Hamilton 

Jordan Electrics 26 9/2 (my odds 13/2)

Silky Wilkie 24 11/1 (my odds 7/1)

Spangled Mac 23 13/2 ( my odds 7/1)

Silky Wilkie the value bet 2 points win 

I've sat down and really given it a lot of thought .....you can rate a race and find value every time but if that doesn't go hand in hand with the horses actual chance to win then you'll always be running for a place and that's what seemed to be happening in my results ......so what I'm going to do is post the top 4 fully  form rated .....then back the best value (nearest to their true price ) .....that way I should be getting form and value rather than just backing a value horse 

635 ham 

Tiriac. 303  edge 0.47 

Spangled Mac. 299 0.90

Manila Scouse. 292 0.82 

First folio. 287 0.78 

Fav is poor value .....the horse that seems to stand out is SPANGLED MAC who at 15/2 is almost his expected price so that's the bet Ew ..negative is he's had a long layoff (8monthes)...but that's offset by 5lb claim so I'll still play it ....1 PT Ew ...

Could make a case for Manila Scouse Ew but I'm trying to find a method for a  very strong "placed" horse whilst keeping outlay down to maximise profits 

That feels a better method and is still getting value ....

Edited by richard-westwood

1 hour ago, richard-westwood said:

I've sat down and really given it a lot of thought .....you can rate a race and find value every time but if that doesn't go hand in hand with the horses actual chance to win then you'll always be running for a place and that's what seemed to be happening in my results ......so what I'm going to do is post the top 4 fully  form rated .....then back the best value (nearest to their true price ) .....that way I should be getting form and value rather than just backing a value horse 

635 ham 

Tiriac. 303  edge 0.47 

Spangled Mac. 299 0.90

Manila Scouse. 292 0.82 

First folio. 287 0.78 

Fav is poor value .....the horse that seems to stand out is SPANGLED MAC who at 15/2 is almost his expected price so that's the bet Ew ..negative is he's had a long layoff (8monthes)...but that's offset by 5lb claim so I'll still play it ....1 PT Ew ...

Could make a case for Manila Scouse Ew but I'm trying to find a method for a  very strong "placed" horse whilst keeping outlay down to maximise profits 

I’m doing my top 3 rated which includes form then seeing if I can get value. I’ll keep sticking with it at small stakes. 

2 hours ago, richard-westwood said:

635 ham 

Tiriac. 303  edge 0.47 

Spangled Mac. 299 0.90

Manila Scouse. 292 0.82 

First folio. 287 0.78 

Spangled has run well after a layoff before - close 4th at Royal Ascot last year following a 4 month break. I’d be more concerned about his draw tonight, personally. 

# Horse Odds Rating Val
1 Spangled Mac 12 104.59 100.00
2 Tiriac 4.5 102.53 20.69
3 Magical Spirit 21 102.46 93.79
4 Manila Scouse 8.5 101.09 16.82
5 Jordan Electrics 6.5 99.80  
6 Rocket Rodney 9.5 99.36  
7 Silky Wilkie 15 98.41  
8 Raatea 11 97.81  
9 Londoner 9 97.33  
10 First Folio 8.5 96.62  

I'll back the top two on the value rating and the top 3 in forecasts. 

3 minutes ago, Zilzalian said:

I see no value in this race whatsoever and unless the market changes markedly its one to leave alone for me.  If forced i would have to go with silkie wilkie. 12/1

You raise a point that had just made its way into my thinking. The 100 figure tells me which horse might be best value in the race but whether the race is worth betting on is a different matter. The best “raw” value number in this race is only in the 50s whereas they are sometimes 300 or more. There is probably a cut off point where it flips from “worth backing” to “best bet if you’ve got a free bet that needs using”. Sometimes the correct conclusion after rating a race will be “no bet”.

22 minutes ago, harry_rag said:

You raise a point that had just made its way into my thinking. The 100 figure tells me which horse might be best value in the race but whether the race is worth betting on is a different matter. The best “raw” value number in this race is only in the 50s whereas they are sometimes 300 or more. There is probably a cut off point where it flips from “worth backing” to “best bet if you’ve got a free bet that needs using”. Sometimes the correct conclusion after rating a race will be “no bet”.

Yes I've scrapped quite a few races due to not worth a bet ....say when all top 4 are below 0.50 ...frustrating when you've spent time rating but if that's what's needed to find value bets ...so be it 

Edited by richard-westwood

The Ferret                                                  1 50 Nbry              1/40th of a pt ew            20/1

Linwood                                                     2 25 Nbry              1/40th of a pt ew            20/1             -Won

Punchbowel Flyer                                    2 50 Nott                1/40th of a pt ew           28/1

Arecibo                                                      7 55 Pon                 1/4oth of a pt ew           25/1

Edited by black rabbit

9 hours ago, Villa Chris said:

Newmarket 7.35 

Abate 25 11/2 ( my odds 6/1) 

Antiphon 23 9/2 ( my odds 7/1)

Capo Vaticano 21 7/2 ( my odds 8/1)

Regal Envoy 21 15/2 ( my odds 8/1) 

I’ll wait and see if any of them drift to my own odds . Abate and Regal Envoy are the likely two to drift to a betting price. 

The race above doesn’t look like it’s going to represent any value so will be left alone . I’ll be playing my cards in the 7.55 at Pontefract  instead which offers some good value. 

Dakota Gold 28 odds 10/1 (my odds 11/2)

Wen Moon 26 odds 3/1 ( my odds 13/2)

Hiya Maite 26 odds 16/1 ( my odds 13/2) 

Dakota and Hiya Maite represent very good value so will play 1 point each .

21 hours ago, Villa Chris said:

6.35 Hamilton 

Jordan Electrics 26 9/2 (my odds 13/2)

Silky Wilkie 24 11/1 (my odds 7/1)

Spangled Mac 23 13/2 ( my odds 7/1)

Silky Wilkie the value bet 2 points win 

Got the first two right with ratings but unfortunately the value bet Silky Wilkie beaten half a length by Jordan Electrics who’s having a great year so far. 

Well I'd have been better making numbers up today! It is a reminder (as with my footy betting) that sometimes the conclusion is "no bet" after you've studied a game or race. 

In particular, there's a difference between a race where the top 3 are clear of the field and post a big value number compared to a scenario like today where about 6 index points cover the top 7 and the value ratings are modest. If I'm going to carry on along similar lines I probably need to draw a line that selections need to get over to be a bet.

11 minutes ago, harry_rag said:

Well I'd have been better making numbers up today! It is a reminder (as with my footy betting) that sometimes the conclusion is "no bet" after you've studied a game or race. 

In particular, there's a difference between a race where the top 3 are clear of the field and post a big value number compared to a scenario like today where about 6 index points cover the top 7 and the value ratings are modest. If I'm going to carry on along similar lines I probably need to draw a line that selections need to get over to be a bet.

Wise words regarding what are considered strong bets and real worth while value . Because I’m notepad and paper I just pick two races I like the look of them rate them. Computerised would make it easier and give me more variety and races to look at. 

Edited by Villa Chris

4 hours ago, Villa Chris said:

The race above doesn’t look like it’s going to represent any value so will be left alone . I’ll be playing my cards in the 7.55 at Pontefract  instead which offers some good value. 

Dakota Gold 28 odds 10/1 (my odds 11/2)

Wen Moon 26 odds 3/1 ( my odds 13/2)

Hiya Maite 26 odds 16/1 ( my odds 13/2) 

Dakota and Hiya Maite represent very good value so will play 1 point each .

Hiya Maite second . Two seconds today at 11/1 and 16/1 so close but not close enough. Wen Moon was third too for the ratings

Edited by Villa Chris

21 hours ago, black rabbit said:

The Ferret                                                  1 50 Nbry              1/40th of a pt ew            20/1

Linwood                                                     2 25 Nbry              1/40th of a pt ew            20/1             -Won

Punchbowel Flyer                                    2 50 Nott                1/40th of a pt ew           28/1

Arecibo                                                      7 55 Pon                 1/4oth of a pt ew           25/1

''Linwood"  impressive  imo