Racing Chat - Saturday July 6th

Sandown 1.50
Ten speedsters run in the first of seven races covered by the ITV cameras this afternoon for the 5F Group 3 Coral Charge. Adam West’s Live In The Dream is the highest rated but was last time when flopping at Haydock so I’ll be looking elsewhere for the likely winner. Three of these ran in the Group 1 King Charles III Stakes at Royal Ascot with Henry Candy’s Twilight Calls finishing the best of the trio in sixth just 1/2L ahead of Ed Walker’s Makarova with last year’s winner Equality way back in last place. Candy has yet to have a winner this season and it may pay to look elsewhere with the rapidly improving Desperate Hero looking decent each way value. Jack Channon’s four year old has looked good in winning handicaps at Goodwood (heavy) and Hamilton (good) over the minimum trip and with just 9lb to find with the top rated can run well under Callum Rodriguez who was in the saddle last time.

DESPERATE HERO 1 point each way @ 9/2 bet365 1/5th 123

Haydock 2.05
A field of fourteen have declared for this competitive looking 1M 6F three-year-old handicap. William Haggas has an excellent record in this race having won it three of the last four years and with his stable in as good a form now as at any time of the season can score with his lightly raced Sea The Stars colt Dramatic Star. An easy winner of a Hamilton maiden last time he enters handicaps off of what appears to be a fair mark of 87 with the step up 3F looking sure to suit.

DRAMATIC STAR 1 point win @ 10/3 bet365

Sandown 2.25
Just ten have declared for the 1M class 2 Coral Challenge Handicap but chances can be given to many. The only front runner in the race is Ed Bethell’s Port Lynas who will appreciate stepping back up in trip and if he can get over from his wide draw can run a big race. He may however be run down late on by last year’s winner Perotto. Trained at Newmarket by Roger Varian, he’s 8lb higher this year but made a highly promising re-appearance when third in the Royal Hunt Cup at Royal Ascot with Holloway Boy and Metal Merchant behind so with Ryan Moore booked he looks sure to run a big race in his usual hood. Back him each way with any firm paying four places.

PEROTTO 2 points each way @ 9/2 Betfred 1/5th 1234

Haydock 2.40
The Group 2 Lancashire Oaks is run over 1M 4F and has attracted eight fillies or mares. Sir Mark Prescott’s Tiffany makes a quick turnaround having won the Group 3 Hoppings Fillies Stakes at Newcastle last week and as the highest rated in the field has major claims. The Gosden’s have won this race four times in the last ten years and are represented here by their four year old filly Queen Of The Pride who held off the re-appearing Lady Boba by a short head over course and distance last time in the Group 3 Pinnacle Stakes and can confirm that form under Oisin Murphy and take the first prize.

QUEEN OF THE PRIDE 1 point win @ 4/1 William Hill

Sandown 3.00
Nine three year old fillies go to post for the 1m listed Coral Distaff. Andrew Balding’s Clove Hitch was visually very impressive last time out when spread eagling her field at Newbury and looks sure to run well under Ryan Moore but she has 5lb to find with the top rated filly in the race, George Boughey’s Soprano and she’s the pick. She relished the step up to a mile under Billy Loughnane in the Sandringham Handicap at Royal Ascot when beating Strutting by half a length and if in the same sort of form looks the one they all have to beat with Loughnane retaining the ride.

SOPRANO 1 point win @ 2/1 BetVictor

Haydock 3.15
A bumper maximum field of seventeen race for the 1M 4F bet365 Old Newton Cup Handicap, one of the most competitive middle distance handicaps in the calendar. Plenty can be given chances including the Andrew Balding Relentless Voyage who ran well in enough in group company last time and Roger Varian’s La Yakel although he hasn’t been seen since last October. The best value in the race may well lie with Eve Johnson Houghton’s Sheer Rocks. He may well have needed his run in the Duke Of Edinburgh Handicap at Royal Ascot when very easy to back and not being totally disgraced in finishing mid division in tenth place. A dual winner on different terrains last season he’s only 3lb higher than his last win and with additional places looks value each way under Callum Shepherd.

SHEER ROCKS 1 point each way @ 14/1 bet365 1/5th 12345

Sandown 3.35
Just eight go to post for the feature race of the day, the £750,000 guaranteed Coral-Eclipse run over 10F where the classic generation take on their elders. It’s very hard to look past this year’s impressive Derby winner City Of Troy who represents Aidan O’Brien and Ryan Moore. He’s officially rated 10lb and higher superior to his seven rivals and it will be a major shock were he not to win this dropping back in trip and enhance his trainers good record in the race having won it on two of the last three years with St Marks Basilica and Paddington. Clive Cox’s Ghostwriter who ran fourth in the French Derby last time is maybe the one to chase him home. A no bet race but one to watch and savour.

Coral eclipse ...

City of Troy is well ahead on ratings here .....I have him on 9.4 with the next horse 8.9 ......bunching up behind are ghostwriter ....jayarbe ..dancing Gemini and stay alert all closely bunched .....it's an 8 horse race and there is some rain forecast .....so that creates question marks for the places .....I just think the 66/1 on STAY ALERT based on her dahlia run if the course doesn't get much rain looks way way overpriced .....probably didnt like the soft ground lto but if the ground stays good or good sft at worse I think she'd have a chance of running into a place at a huge price .....like I said in a 8 horse race it's a bit of interest ....I'll wait to make sure all 8 run first and if the ground goes soft then it's no good ......but 8 runners on good(stick 6.5+)... and I'm in Ew 

On 7/5/2024 at 8:11 AM, The Brigadier said:
Sandown 1.50
Ten speedsters run in the first of seven races covered by the ITV cameras this afternoon for the 5F Group 3 Coral Charge. Adam West’s Live In The Dream is the highest rated but was last time when flopping at Haydock so I’ll be looking elsewhere for the likely winner. Three of these ran in the Group 1 King Charles III Stakes at Royal Ascot with Henry Candy’s Twilight Calls finishing the best of the trio in sixth just 1/2L ahead of Ed Walker’s Makarova with last year’s winner Equality way back in last place. Candy has yet to have a winner this season and it may pay to look elsewhere with the rapidly improving Desperate Hero looking decent each way value. Jack Channon’s four year old has looked good in winning handicaps at Goodwood (heavy) and Hamilton (good) over the minimum trip and with just 9lb to find with the top rated can run well under Callum Rodriguez who was in the saddle last time.

DESPERATE HERO 1 point each way @ 9/2 bet365 1/5th 123

Haydock 2.05
A field of fourteen have declared for this competitive looking 1M 6F three-year-old handicap. William Haggas has an excellent record in this race having won it three of the last four years and with his stable in as good a form now as at any time of the season can score with his lightly raced Sea The Stars colt Dramatic Star. An easy winner of a Hamilton maiden last time he enters handicaps off of what appears to be a fair mark of 87 with the step up 3F looking sure to suit.

DRAMATIC STAR 1 point win @ 10/3 bet365

Sandown 2.25
Just ten have declared for the 1M class 2 Coral Challenge Handicap but chances can be given to many. The only front runner in the race is Ed Bethell’s Port Lynas who will appreciate stepping back up in trip and if he can get over from his wide draw can run a big race. He may however be run down late on by last year’s winner Perotto. Trained at Newmarket by Roger Varian, he’s 8lb higher this year but made a highly promising re-appearance when third in the Royal Hunt Cup at Royal Ascot with Holloway Boy and Metal Merchant behind so with Ryan Moore booked he looks sure to run a big race in his usual hood. Back him each way with any firm paying four places.

PEROTTO 2 points each way @ 9/2 Betfred 1/5th 1234

Haydock 2.40
The Group 2 Lancashire Oaks is run over 1M 4F and has attracted eight fillies or mares. Sir Mark Prescott’s Tiffany makes a quick turnaround having won the Group 3 Hoppings Fillies Stakes at Newcastle last week and as the highest rated in the field has major claims. The Gosden’s have won this race four times in the last ten years and are represented here by their four year old filly Queen Of The Pride who held off the re-appearing Lady Boba by a short head over course and distance last time in the Group 3 Pinnacle Stakes and can confirm that form under Oisin Murphy and take the first prize.

QUEEN OF THE PRIDE 1 point win @ 4/1 William Hill

Sandown 3.00
Nine three year old fillies go to post for the 1m listed Coral Distaff. Andrew Balding’s Clove Hitch was visually very impressive last time out when spread eagling her field at Newbury and looks sure to run well under Ryan Moore but she has 5lb to find with the top rated filly in the race, George Boughey’s Soprano and she’s the pick. She relished the step up to a mile under Billy Loughnane in the Sandringham Handicap at Royal Ascot when beating Strutting by half a length and if in the same sort of form looks the one they all have to beat with Loughnane retaining the ride.

SOPRANO 1 point win @ 2/1 BetVictor

Haydock 3.15
A bumper maximum field of seventeen race for the 1M 4F bet365 Old Newton Cup Handicap, one of the most competitive middle distance handicaps in the calendar. Plenty can be given chances including the Andrew Balding Relentless Voyage who ran well in enough in group company last time and Roger Varian’s La Yakel although he hasn’t been seen since last October. The best value in the race may well lie with Eve Johnson Houghton’s Sheer Rocks. He may well have needed his run in the Duke Of Edinburgh Handicap at Royal Ascot when very easy to back and not being totally disgraced in finishing mid division in tenth place. A dual winner on different terrains last season he’s only 3lb higher than his last win and with additional places looks value each way under Callum Shepherd.

SHEER ROCKS 1 point each way @ 14/1 bet365 1/5th 12345

Sandown 3.35
Just eight go to post for the feature race of the day, the £750,000 guaranteed Coral-Eclipse run over 10F where the classic generation take on their elders. It’s very hard to look past this year’s impressive Derby winner City Of Troy who represents Aidan O’Brien and Ryan Moore. He’s officially rated 10lb and higher superior to his seven rivals and it will be a major shock were he not to win this dropping back in trip and enhance his trainers good record in the race having won it on two of the last three years with St Marks Basilica and Paddington. Clive Cox’s Ghostwriter who ran fourth in the French Derby last time is maybe the one to chase him home. A no bet race but one to watch and savour.

Update:-

The ground has gone soft at Sandown following 16mm overnight and further showers likely. Great idea again to put 8mm of water on the course earlier in the week!

I wouldn't want to be with Perotto now who it seems is a fast ground horse (Ryan Moore stated he doesn't want soft in his Betfair column) and having backed him at the 48 hour stage can only hope he's pulled out this morning.

The other three selections at Sandown should handle the mud and there's a couple of mudlarks in the last two races that I think are worth backing in a each way double. ASHARIBA (4.12) and DAMBUSTER (4.47).

Good Luck today all.

Posted (edited)

Unreasonable                                                   3 00 San/               1/40th of a pt ew    20/1

Astro King                                                          3 15 Hay/               1/40th of a pt ew   22/1    -  Void

Euchen Glen                                                      3 15 Hay/               1/49th of a pt ew   28/1    -  Void

Classic                                                                2 25 San/                1/40th of a pt ew   10/1

Edited by black rabbit

I am not convinced city of troy is the best thing since sliced bread. The derby imho wasn't that great but we will see. I was in agreement with @richard-westwood that stay alert was the best ew play but it has been pulled. so at 10/1 ghostwriter is in play. Typical hyped horse scaring off the opposition and spineless trainers not supporting group 1 races. So Troy ends up becoming what "they" say it is by lack of competition. On another front, looking around the race cards Clive Cox could have a very good day today.

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Zilzalian said:

I am not convinced city of troy is the best thing since sliced bread. The derby imho wasn't that great but we will see. I was in agreement with @richard-westwood that stay alert was the best ew play but it has been pulled. so at 10/1 ghostwriter is in play. Typical hyped horse scaring off the opposition and spineless trainers not supporting group 1 races. So Troy ends up becoming what "they" say it is by lack of competition. On another front, looking around the race cards Clive Cox could have a very good day today.

Yeah but ground has gone against stay alert ....he really needs good ground to show his best so no bet for me now ....shame cos I fancied the horse Ew .....oh been pulled anyway haha 

Edited by richard-westwood

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Zilzalian said:

Doesn't look like any Pegasus that does it? Hope a few trainers look at that and say to themselves what were we worried about? More importantly i hope a few owners are saying why did you not take it on with my horse. Wont matter to the arse lickers of ITV tho their tongues will be out like a chameleon eyeing up a grasshopper.😂

Edited by Zilzalian
likers to lickers

1 hour ago, richard-westwood said:

Wasn't too taken with races today nothing really jumping out on computer apart from this race 

315 hay 

Chillingham.  8.7 13/2 6places

Euchen glen 8.4 18)1 

Epic poet. 8.2 

I'll play ......5pt Ew chillingham and forecasts and tricasts all 3 for a least one race fun 😊 

Called off ..jeez