Ten or 12 runners in the same race' - What's your thoughts?

I personally  think it's very unfair to other smaller yards and only the other month G.Elliot entered 10 runners in one race.

Here is a quote from Tony Mullins - "action must be taken by British and Irish racing authorities next year to prevent trainers from being allowed to run huge teams of runners in any single race.

Feel free to express your opinion?

Sounds great in principle but very difficult to draw up rules without consequential rule changes rippling through the whole industry

For example would you also then need rules to prevent owners swapping yards with their horses to get round the 'x number of runners per trainer' ...... and then swapping them back again after the race. This could affect all owners who just want to change yards for a whole variety of reasons

If the limit was on owners rather than trainers you could see owners having all their horses in joint ownerships with family members and friends that they could swap around before and after races to make sure a different 'owner' appears against all their runners in a big race

So sounds fine if they can come up with a formula that isn't just really easy to get around

Also you could argue that if Mullins and Elliott have the dozen best 2 mile novice chasers between them why wouldn't you want most of them to be running in the Arkle ? ......... just so a few British trainers could run some no-hopers

On 12/30/2023 at 9:57 AM, White Feather said:

I personally  think it's very unfair to other smaller yards and only the other month G.Elliot entered 10 runners in one race.

Here is a quote from Tony Mullins - "action must be taken by British and Irish racing authorities next year to prevent trainers from being allowed to run huge teams of runners in any single race.

Feel free to express your opinion?

Does it depend in what race?

I say this  because if you watch the video below  i think you will agree a its an amazing achievement by the trainer.

I was a mere lad of 19 but still remember it well i'm sure @Trotter does too along with a few others!

.... interview with trainer in this one at around  28.25

...... and   he went on to achieve many more things in racing and for racing.....

https://business.louisville.edu/2023galbreathaward/

Edited by Tedthewolf