Class 6 (0-50) Classified Stakes Races

Recently there seems to have been a proliferation of this kind of race - and I don't see why ???

I used to think of level weights stakes races as a bit better than handicaps but these are the bottom of the barrel.

Take today's 1.50 at Southwell as an example. The bottom three in the betting are rated 42, 43, 42 and are priced at 80/1, 80/1, 125/1. They have very little chance against the favourite rated 49. Why would the trainer enter them ???

Surely these low quality horses have more chance in a 0-60 handicap - even if a few punds out of the bottom of the handicap.

I think they're a useful addition to the calendar for very low grade horses

If you look at today's favourite ...... Destinado. He won a Classified Stakes last time but prior to that had run in 7 handicaps off marks in the 40s and couldn't win one. There must be a lot of horses rated in the 40s who are never going to win handicaps against 50s and 60s horses even getting weight from them. These classified stakes give them an oportunity to run against horses of around the same level

Of course there will be horses like the 66/1 shots here that are never going to win any kind of race ....... but it's cheap to enter your horse in a c;lassified stakes (£40) and maybe the owner doesn't want to spend much but wants a day at the races with an owner's badge and to see his horse take part. And there's always the hope that conditions of trip, track, surface might be ideal for your horse on the day and if he could just improve by 4 or 5 lbs, a length or two over a mile, he might .......... you know, win ! The whole sport is based on Hope !

9 hours ago, Snoopdog said:

Recently there seems to have been a proliferation of this kind of race - and I don't see why ???

I used to think of level weights stakes races as a bit better than handicaps but these are the bottom of the barrel.

Take today's 1.50 at Southwell as an example. The bottom three in the betting are rated 42, 43, 42 and are priced at 80/1, 80/1, 125/1. They have very little chance against the favourite rated 49. Why would the trainer enter them ???

Surely these low quality horses have more chance in a 0-60 handicap - even if a few punds out of the bottom of the handicap.

I just ignore Classified races.

On 3/9/2023 at 9:31 AM, Snoopdog said:

Agree and results are dodgy imo from the way they are weighted etc it's a lottery

These races are actually quite predictive, in that the favourites have a very good record.

Over the last 9 years the forecast favourite has won 150 from 530 with a profit of 40 points and an AE of 1.09.

Those in the top 2 in the weights have recorded 141 wins from 953 with a profit of 229 points and an AE of 1.11.

Those that won last time out have won 72 from 268 with a profit of 43 points and an AE of 1.10.

I ofter find that these "poor" races offer good betting opportunities. Perhaps it is because there are so many no-hopers in them that improves the chances of the "better" horses. In higher class races more horses have a chance therefore they are much more competitve.

You post some amazing stats Mc. Thanks for that. I find them all fascinating and wish I had access to a database such as yours. As a matter of interest, which forecast do you use to gather the favourite information?

I’m also following your Cheltenham stats with great interest. Thank you for all the information and for all the hard work that you put in. I hope it yields some good profits for you.