Racing Chat - Friday 9th September

There was a terrific thunder burst just a after the last race on Wednesday which deposited 2mm of rain on Town Moor but with a dry night the ground is still being called good (good to soft in places). There are more showers forecast so I’ve looked at Friday’s races with cut in the ground. Here we go then ~

Doncaster 1.25
A thirteen runner 1m 6F 115 yard class 2 handicap starts proceedings today. Top weight Mahrajan has to carry a welter weight of ten stone two pounds but has obvious claims here having run a blinder over 12F last time at York. He stays this trip well and has to be on any short list. Plenty of others come here in good form including HMS President under William Buick although he wouldn’t want the ground to soften and Sir Chauvelin who will appreciate stepping up to this trip having run well at Hamilton over 12F last time. The one I like is Alan King’s Inchicore who will love any cut in the ground and the trip and has Ryan Moore on top. A winner at this trip at Goodwood in May he followed that up with a staying on 4th, beaten 2L, in the Old Newton Cup on soft ground. He looks sure to be thereabouts and can be backed each way with additional places.

INCHICORE 1 1/2 points each way @ 6/1 bet365 1/5th 1234

Doncaster 2.00
Sir Michael Stoute’s Nostrum will be a warm order in this fiver runner listed Flying Scotsman Stakes run over 7F of Town Moor. Impressive on his debut at Sandown in a maiden that’s worked out well with the 3rd and 5th winning since. He’ll be at short odds mind and I prefer his main danger Desert Order trained by Charlie Appleby and ridden by William Buick. He stepped up to win the most valuable maiden of the season at York three weeks ago, the Convivial Maiden which has yet to be tested although the runner up Glenfinnan runs later today. It may turn out to be a battle between the pair and at the likely odds I’ll chance Desert Order to take the spoils.

DESERT ORDER 1 point win @ 11/4 BetVictor

Doncaster 2.35
Only eight go to post for the Flying Childers, a group 2 contest for two year olds run over 5F. The front two in the market have the best form although neither have raced on softish ground. The Platinum Queen looked all speed with victories at York and Goodwood prior to an even better effort when runner up in the Nunthorpe at York behind sprinting sensation Highfield Princess. All three of those runs though were on rattling fast ground and how she will cope with easy ground no one knows. The same applies to Richard Hannon’s Trillium who took the group 3 Molecomb Stakes at their big meeting in good style from Rocket Rodney (beaten since). The former has the better form credentials but I am worried of the ground for her. I’ll take a chance with Jessie Harrington’s Funny Money Honey who will need to improve to take this but won’t mind the soft ground and looked all about speed last week at Salisbury where he led the field for 5F before weakening quickly. Hollie Doyle retains the ride and she’s worth a small each way bet.

FUNNY MONEY HONEY 1 point each way @ 25/1 bet 365 1/5th 123

Doncaster 3.10
It’s hard to oppose favourite Trueshan in this 2m 2F Doncaster Cup where the more rain that falls the better for Alan King’s mudlark. He’s head and shoulders above his opponents here and with his likely optimum conditions impossible to oppose. Andrew Balding’s Coltrane maybe the one to chase him home but I fully expect Trueshan to win comfortably. At the odds I don’t see a bet unless you want to play the winning distance markets.

Doncaster 3.45
A competitive fourteen runner 6F 111 yds class 2 handicap is up next. Charlie Hill’s Tanmawwy is the favourite and he has an obvious chance having led close home at Ffos Las last time although a 7lb rise for a head victory looks a bit extreme and I can happily let him go at around the 4/1 mark. Mums Tipple is 2lb well in following his neck second at Ascot last week and is a player for the Richard Hannon camp whilst Michael Appleby’s Juan Les Pins is chasing a four timer but may not appreciate any further showers. Top weight Shine So Bright is another one that wouldn’t appreciate any further easing of the ground and I’ll take an each way stab with James Horton’s Asjad. His form when the word soft is mentioned in the going description reads 111 and if we overlook his two recent efforts on ground that may well have been too fast and in top handicap company he has a decent chance. A winner at York in May he races today off of just a 2lb higher mark and could be the value play in an open handicap under PJ McDonald who is his regular rider.

ASJAD 1 point each way @ 14/1 bet365 1/5th 1234