Racing Chat - Tuesday 12th May

More Aussie jump racing on Tuesday morning as we have 3 races at the start of the Sale card.

Race 1 (2.35am)

A maiden hurdle to kick off the card and a few of this ran in the 3 maiden hurdles last week. The odds on favourite is a horse who was a non-runner last week Longclaw. I didn't really fancy him last week, but this race is weaker and he didn't run too badly on the level last time. That was a month ago now though and his hurdle trials don't really tell us a great deal. He might win, but he looks a short price to me.

I'm a bit surprised to see Mazaz so short in the betting as well. The 3rd to Runaway at Pakenham wasn't too bad, but he was well beaten last week and was going backwards before he had to check due to the fall of Sir Isaac Newton. 

I put up Cheners last week and like all good e/w bets he finished 4th behind the easy winner Scholarly (runs in the 2nd). He was slow away from the stalls which wasn't ideal, but it was another solid run over hurdles after his 2nd at Pakenham to Riding High. That is the best form in this for me so at the price he has to be the main bet. Manning Road was just behind him last week in 5th and he fell behind Runaway at Pakenham the time before. That came at the last but he looked like he had done his running at the time. He looks a bit of a non-stayer to me although he wouldn't be completely out of this.

Coleridge and Crafty Lion were 5th and 4th respectively in the opening maiden last week and yet Crafty Lion is as big as 40/1 whilst Coleridge is a best of 12/1. I just don't get why Crafty Lion is such a big price. He ran a really nice race from the back last week and wasn't given the strongest ride to stay on for 4th. That was his first run over hurdles since August and he had only had one prep run on the flat before so he should come on for it as well. Coleridge was well backed late last week, but he had only been 7th the time before at Pakenham well behind Cheners. That's two horses he has to reverse form with in this and I am happy to back them both.

Cheners e/w @ 13/2 with Betfred

Crafty Lion e/w @ 40/1 with Betfred

Race 2 (3.15am)

Eric Musgrove has 4 of the 6 runners in this BM120 hurdle, but the odds on favourite Scholarly should be too good for them. He was really impressive last week and it was a massive step up from his hurdles debut. If he performs as he did last week he ought to be too good for these although he is priced accordingly.

Mr One Eleven could be the best of the Musgrove runners and he seems to be running himself into form. He is down in grade here after finishing 5th in the Galleywood last week but he was only beaten 6L so it wasn't a bad effort. He would be my pick as a forecast option ahead of Michelin who trialled well over hurdles a couple of weeks ago, but ran on the flat at Bendigo instead of going to the Bool which seemed an odd move.

Race 3 (3.55am)

A maiden chase ends the jumping action and I like two against the field here. I thought Markwood ran really well last week when tried to make all but faded late onto finish 3rd. In a weaker race over slightly shorter I think he could easily make all. He had made a solid chasing debut at Pakenham the time before as well.

Newbury was one of my picks in that race last week, but he was a non-runner in the end. He does have a bit of ground to make up on Markwood on Pakenham running, but he trialled impressively beating Markwood after that. He has shown form which would be good enough for him to win this so at a double figure price he is worth a small interest.

Tremec is 11 and did finish in front of Markwood at Pakenham, but was just behind him last week. He only got so close as Markwood was getting tired though and he's only hit the frame once in 6 chase starts. Pentelligentsia is 1st up having had some quiet enough trials. He finished 2nd in 2 chase starts last June, but the form is nothing special and he was beaten 9L and 16L. He is young though so scope for improvement.

Markwood @ 12/5 with Betfred

Newbury e/w @ 11/1 with Betfred

WRD. 715 Danzig River 6/1, U.    745 Eurowest 12/1 U.

815 Euromandy 10/1, Pl.      1015 Landry Kyle  14/1, Pl.

1145 Euroeast 8/1. U.

Edited by Nigwilliam
Result