** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

Hunter Chase - 2.45 Bangor

Darran

We have had some big fields for this race in the past, but not this year as Bob And Co only has 3 rivals to beat. I think you have to be mad to want to back him at 4/9 given what we saw at Warwick, but if his rider doesn't get cramp again he should win. He has worn a hood before in France so that isn't new, but he does get a tongue-tie added. What concerns me most is that Maxwell said the horse would be better in a bigger field at Cheltenham, but to qualify for Cheltenham he is going to have to run in two small field events first. The shorter trip should help him last home and maybe having had a run he might be a bit calmer.

Ballynagour was travelling well enough still when falling at Ludlow 4 from home and he had pulled hard for a long way as well. I wonder if the idea here would be let him bowl along. The issue I have is that the 3rd at Cottenham isn't exactly looking as it did at the tie with Art Mauresque losing on Sunday and Bletchely Castle was disappointing at Musselburgh on Saturday. Also the Ludlow form is suspect as well after what happened back there on Wednesday to Dieu Vivant. To be fair to him the slow pace wouldn't have helped because of the way he pulled. 

Pass The Hat beat a Maxwell hot pot at Carlisle last March when I didn't given him a a chance and I didn't fancy him when he won at Southwell the year before either. He ran really poorly first time out last season in a point and if he repeats that he hasn't got a chance here. 

Swift Crusador ran well first time up last season when he won at Sandown off a mark of 120, but his other two starts he was well beaten. He was then sold for just £5k in November. He is only 9, but you do have to wonder why a horse rated 122 only made £5k. Even so I can see why the double figure price has gone as he shouldn't have been that much bigger than Ballynagour and Pass The Hat.

I think this is just a race to watch again and I can imagine that plenty of people will be watching after Warwick. Bob And Co has the most ability, but with the doubt about if he will be calm enough for his jockey he clearly can't be put up at 4/9. I don't have a massively strong view on who might finish 2nd either as all 3 have questions to ask although Pass The Hat would be the one I liked the least. 

2nd race running that the late market moves have cost me a winning bet as Bob And Co went odds against on the exchanges prior to the race, which was a crazy price. For me that more than factored in the fact he might have pulled hard again as bar a repeat of Warwick he was going to win. At 4/9 I wouldn't take that chance, but at 11/10 I certainly would. Tom Collins of the Racing Post Tweeted after the race that Foxhunters ante-post punters discovered that Bob And Co is a proper horse, but how on earth anyone can take that based on what ended up a solo I don't know. We already knew he had class as he had shown that in France and to a certain extent at Warwick as well. The key thing we discovered was that he can settle and surely the credit must go to Paul Nicholls here as he must have worked on him at home to make sure he did settle. Even when Swift Crusador decided to go on he didn't pull his riders arms out which was a good thing. After that one unseated though he basically had a solo as Ballynagour couldn't get anywhere near him. What we still don't know is if he will stay, if he will handle an undulating track (could going downhill make him go too fast again?), or if he is actually good enough to win. What I will say is that from a level where I didn't fancy him at all for the race I am much more open minded to his chances now. Hopefully we will find out more next time. He has been entered for Kelso on Thursday, but apparently the Walrus at Haydock is set to be the aim. That should be a stiffer test than this race.

Swift Crusador was a massive gamble and the main reason Bob And Co drifted so badly. He had been on the keen side himself early on and it was too early to know what would have happened had he not departed the race. Clearly connections were expecting something special though as he went off at 2/1 having been 14/1 last night. On the back of that he would have to be considered in a future race. Hopefully Pass The Hat is OK after having to pull up, whilst Ballynagour never got involved. It backs up my thinking that the Ludlow race is suspect form and that his 3rd at Cottenham is nothing special either. It could also be that on his 4th start of the season he may have had enough already at the age of 14. 

So hopefully if he goes to Haydock we will see Bob And Co face a proper test and we can get a better guide as to where we stand with him regarding Cheltenham.