Tennis Tips - November 11 - November 17

CzechPunter

• 2 weeks later...

Daniil Medvedev to win ATP Tour Finals @ 6.00 General

It's ten years now since Davydenko was an unexpected winner of the Tour Finals and as much as that has nothing to do with events this year, I can't help but see the parallels between Davydenko's game and that of Medvedev. Both were excellent servers, both were well suited to indoor conditions and both were capable of beating the best on their day and of course Davydenko had a few of those days ten years ago. As for Medvedev, he couldn't really be in better form coming into this. I'll forgive him the defeat to Chardy in Paris as I don't think he was particularly motivated, but he'll certainly be up for this. He's grouped with Nadal, Tsitsipas and Sascha and I think he finishes in the top two and progresses to the knock-out stages and that's before the possibility of Nadal withdrawing at some point like he did a couple of years ago. From there who knows, but there's nobody in the other group that he can't beat. I'd say he's got Djokovic's number and I'm certain the World No. 2 would like to avoid another meeting with him having come out the wrong side of a couple of meetings with him already this season, and I'm sure he'd fancy his chances against Federer given that the Swiss hasn't won here for a few years now and is in the twilight of his career. In short, based on the season to date I think Medvedev is a Grand Slam champion in-waiting and after Sascha won here last year I can't see why Medvedev can't follow in his footsteps. If Djokovic doesn't justify his status as favourite here - which happened last year - then I can see a Medvedev win.

Edited by Torque

This thread has more posts. To see them, you'll need to sign up or sign in.