** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** ELO Ratings are now back **

William Hill Scammers

skydigitalb

Hi

I am absolutely furious at william hill and are curious as to my legal position.

I won £600 today and they have for no reason suspended my account. I have sent driving license and passport but they are asking for me to send pictures of myself doing ludicrous things such as hold a piece of paper with writing on it etc.

My question is, can they legally withold my money until I send a picture like this? 

I would take to court very willingingly as a test case. Without knowing for sure, I cannot imagine they can legally withold your money if your actually providing copies of your ID to confirm who you are. Furthermore I have offerered to go instore with my identification but they are still refusing.

Please help

:welcome to Punters Lounge @skydigitalb  :ok 

New regulations make it very difficult for us to get involved, and often we're only told half the story, however I'm not saying that's the case here.

ID should be more than enough, but if they're asking for a picture with writing on it - just send it is my advice. There are so many new regulations from the UK Gambling Commission these days it's crazy.

If you don't get anywhere with them after that, then you should contact https://www.ibas-uk.com/  

I’d just do it, as long as they’re not asking you to hold up a piece of paper saying something like “I admit that I’m a fraudster”! 

I’m guessing the intent is for you to prove to them that they’re dealing with the person whose ID they’ve been sent, so they get a picture that meets their stipulation that they can match against the ID. Not saying I’d like it if it happened to me or that it doesn’t seem a bit OTT but it’s the way it is and I doubt it would be seen as an unreasonable request from a legal or regulatory perspective.

i also agree with the point about us never getting the full story with these sort of posts. I’m not asking you for more details but, to illustrate the point, all sorts of questions spring to my mind; is this a brand new account, are your winnings from an unusual betting pattern, is there something they regard as suspicious about the source of the funds, do they suspect you of inappropriate activity e.g. courtsiding.

Unfotunately, I suspect that they very much can legally withhold your money until you comply with this request.

• 1 month later...
On 9/15/2019 at 9:02 PM, skydigitalb said:

Hi

I am absolutely furious at william hill and are curious as to my legal position.

I won £600 today and they have for no reason suspended my account. I have sent driving license and passport but they are asking for me to send pictures of myself doing ludicrous things such as hold a piece of paper with writing on it etc.

My question is, can they legally withold my money until I send a picture like this? 

I would take to court very willingingly as a test case. Without knowing for sure, I cannot imagine they can legally withold your money if your actually providing copies of your ID to confirm who you are. Furthermore I have offerered to go instore with my identification but they are still refusing.

Please help

Can't believe they would do something illegal, I've been using them for some time, not so long, but havent' had problems like this or anything else. I can tell you tho other bookies, and even such that don't have to do with UK licenses, have asked friends of mine to send pictures like that, so why should William Hill be an exception. Bottomline, I'd send it too, don't think it's illegal and it's exactly as @harry_rag said, they may have the reason so suspect a double account, some fraud activity or wtv and just need to make sure it's not the case, and pics like this are sort of a procedure with bookies. Anyway, @skydigitalb do say what happened?