** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

Ashes Series

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Ashes Series

Would not be at all surprised to see us get a big total here' date=' batting didn't look too difficult after lunch, and they were getting themselves out.[/quote'] Sounds like it from the radio commentary. I just don't understand choosing to bat then going at it like it's a 50 over game. Hopefully we can bat for at least 5 sessions and put some pressure on.

Re: Ashes Series It's great to be English at the minute!! well done to the bowlers, i'ts a long time since i've seen any team tear through the Aussies in a first innings of a test match. with batting now easier we should be able rack up a big total. Trescothick could go early, but I reckon Strauss could get a big score. he always seems to bat so well at Lords.

Re: Ashes Series This pitch is overdone. Its started too dry, & there is rough outside the leg stump already. The cracks throughout today are wider than normal & are more like a second day pitch, the groundsman has confirmed this. Vaughans & Flintoffs wickets were from balls that kept low but neither got themselves in any position to play them so they have only themselves to blame. On looking at Vaughans a second time it hit near the top of off stump..... Pietersen & Jones did well to take the sting out of it but losing Giles at the death is a major blow. Hoggard can stick around but I cant believe he can play McGrath when he bowls like that. Not sure whos in next but if its Hoggy he has to survive until Pietersen gets himself back in tomorrow, & then I reckon our best chance is for Pietersen & Jones to have a go. Jones can attack better than the rest of the tail...its the staying in whilst defensive he has a problem with. The old England would have gone for 50 & maybe the Ashes would be gone tonight as that would have been a massive psychological blow, so at least lets be grateful for that..... One of the most amazing days cricket I've ever seen.

Re: Ashes Series Unbelievable day. In the morning Hayden and Ponting were hit on the head and wickets fell to sharply rising deliveries - then England lost wickets to balls which kept low. Will the game last beyond Sat morning.

Re: Ashes Series Boycott earlier was trying to say that Bell contributed to his dismissal by batting too far outside leg stump............now Boycott talks a lot of sense but I've watched that ball 5 times & I could'nt have kept it out on the slow mo replay ;)

Re: Ashes Series You'd be covering all three stumps anyway swoop :drums He does have a good point about Bell, he easily would have covered it standing further across (if you watch where he was tenths of a second after the ball went past, his bat and pad were perfectly together). Of course it may have hit his pad and got him out LBW but that's better than getting bowled, as you always have a chance. I rarely agree with a word that Boycott says but I think he's right here.

Re: Ashes Series Not much mention in the papers this morning about KP's batting. He's stuck it out for 69 balls so far, more than anyone else yesterday. It was hardly an assured performance but, in context, pretty damn good. BlueSq have England all out less than 140 at evens. That's not a bad price for hard-nosed punters. But not for me as there'd be just too much cricket-lover/wallet conflict. Absolutely vital England go on with it and get within 30 runs to make a day of it for Saturday. One day's clattering wickets is fine. But Lord's needs great day's play in prospect for those on their way there Saturday. There's 10-1 around it will be all over Friday evening. Hope bat/ball balance, sanity returns!

Re: Ashes Series England have done as well as they could have hoped this morning with the bat I reckon. Need wickets after lunch. The stats all suggest that days 2 & 3 are the best for batting its just nobody could see it getting better after yesterday, me included. England have to bowl them out for 220 or below to stand a realistic shot O think.

Re: Ashes Series Trescothick, Strauss and Bell have been found wanting against the Ausssie bowlers. Earlier this year they were thrashing the minnows but that counts for nothing today. Our catching was pathetic and as you can guess from my tone I have backed England!