Ashes Series

Right. Time to get a few tickles on the spreads for the series. I'm small stakes on this, but always like to have a bit of ongoing interest. I'll kick-off with a couple. Please add if you see any spreads you think are wrongly priced, making stakes 1 - 5, and we'll see what the thread can pull in from now to September. Bell series ton-ups with Cantor (must play three games). 20-25. I expect to see a few headlines such as Bell Chimes in with Unbeaten Ton so this is a buy. There's a bit of class about the England No.4 and if Tresco/Strauss/Vaughan can get going Bell will be well-placed to put together some big innings. He has the class and cool head to 'go on with it' past the 80-type knock. Selectors will stick with him and if the dreaded broken finger/out for rest of series strikes early, we have the 'play 3 tests proviso'. But this ton-up malarchy is a tough old way to rack up quids as you only make money when the geezer is in three figures. Warne series runs is quoted at 110-125 with Spin. Two very confident tons this summer for Hampshire and now thinks he can bat. If England can run Aus close-ish in this series he should get six knocks or so coming in at 8. I would think there's at least one half-century in him. Therefore: BUY Bell series ton-ups at 25. 3pts BUY Warne runs at 125. 2pts :ok

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Ashes Series Perhaps Swooperman can help out here, generally speaking, but I think the 3 strike bowlers take the wickets and the 4th & the container/spinner chip in depending on the wicket. Even with a great allrounder, Flintoff, perhaps yet to live up to his billing, England go in with 4 bowlers. Why? Pie-chucker XI at Lords (should have been): Tresco Strauss Vaughan Bell KP Collingwood Flintoff Jones the gloves Giles Harmison Tremlett This is a Lords bouncy pitch and the three quicks are average 6' 6" tall. You've got the irritation of Giles and the 'Steve Waugh' bowling of Collingwood and Vaughan and Bell must be told to bowl. Australia play 4 bowlers and do not have a genuine all-rounder.

Re: Ashes Series My argument exactly, PC, if you remember I said the same thing after xmas & was laughed at.......I dont think that Vaughan has enough faith in Jones the bowler to give him a full stint, & if that was true I would play another batsman, as I think Geraint Jones walking in @ 8 is a strong team in anyones book. The problem is if they get after Giles, & they will try to hit him out of the attack, They dont have respect for him as a wicket taker but they know he can tie them down so they will attack him & not let him settle. The Aussies have no such problem with Warne, remember his economy rate is below 3. Personally I would still pick Hoggy, but rather than Collingwood I would still pick Thorpe. Englands players always seemed happier with Thorpe as the safety valve, & whilst picking Pietersen is brave & a good choice for cricket, who would you rather have walking in at 20-3 ?? Pietersen is a very un-English selection IMO, (pardon the pun) but it should delight all gamblers as with no Thorpe there is even more value in laying the draw. Thorpe could save a test on occasions & whilst thats not a win, sometimes you have to survive to fight another day. I think that could cost England in the series. Pietersen has been picked on his enthusiasm & belief in the dressing room as much as anything IMO, not a bad reason, but theres no doubt he's got sand....SJ have a market where hes 7/1 to ton in the Lords Test, & 1/4 not to...I wouldnt back him to do it, but with his confidence I wouldnt back against him either.....

Re: Ashes Series I like your point with Thorpe, swooperman, with Pietersen England are setting their stall out as an attaking force, and there is no problem with that but there is no-one I like more than Thorpe coming out when the chips are down ( at 20-3 as you say ) and grinding out 40 or 50 over 3 or 4 hours. Over a 5 test series sometimes a draw is as good as a win especially when it's a tight series as I expect this to be. However that aside I put a couple of medium size bets on these: Australia 2-1 (9-1) Vaughn over 395 runs in series (evens) Series 1-1 draw (20-1) I'm taking this at smaller stakes as with our British "summers" you never know when it's going to pelt down so I think there's a chance, you know one test will be rained out!!

Re: Ashes Series TBH I dont really like to get involved in Cricket as we Paddies just don't understand it laugh4.giflaugh4.gif but for a long Gurantee

Thirty Series Wickets?
Shane Warne NOT to take 30 or more Series wickets1/4
this should turn any £4,000 into £5,000 without breaking a sweat.... better odds than in a bank account!! laugh4.giflaugh4.gif I do like a bet on M.Vaughan @ 9/2 with Coral as top English Batsman, though and will try to get on fairly big on this... I'm absolutely no cricket expert though so beware!!!! this is Swoop's territory!

Re: Ashes Series Warney you wouldnt have thought would get 30 wickets, but he has cleared 30 in England in 2 out of the last 3 series Fritz, although one was a 6 match series tbf. You have to remember that hes been a class act....because hes played for Hants theres less surprise in his bowling these days but 1/4 is mighty short.....

Re: Ashes Series

because hes played for Hants theres less surprise in his bowling these days
The reason there's less surprise is that he no longer turns the ball so much and doesn't have the variation that he had 5 years ago.

Re: Ashes Series As they often do, the bookies have not really researched some of the more obscure cricket markets, and as a result there are some gifts available ahead of the Ashes series. One of the most interesting markets is for the highest 1st innings opening partnership in the 1st Test Match at Lord’s. Every bookie that offers odds for this makes

Take the last 8 matches of each team.

Trescothick and Strauss average 64.25 for the opening 1st innings partnership. They have beaten the opponents’ opening stand 6 times out of 8, with 1 tie.

Hayden and Langer have lost 6 out of 8, averaging just 42.

The Australia favourites, while the stats indicate that it is England’s opening partnership of Strauss and Trescothick that have the edge over Hayden and Langer.’s opening partnership of Strauss and Trescothick that have the edge over Hayden and Langer.England bowlers have taken the opponents’ 1st wicket for an average of 23 runs, with their Australian counterparts conceding 40.88 before making the breakthrough.

Everything points towards an England victory in this particular market, yet William Hill are prepared to offer us odds of 2.25.

Another generous offer is the 1.50 available at Sporting Odds and Sporting Bet for England to win at least one Test Match. Most experts believe that England have a realistic chance of winning the series, with their strongest team for years, against an arguably faltering Australian team.

England have managed to win at least 1 test in each of the last 6 Ashes series, and they have achieved this with much poorer line ups to the one they have this year, against stronger Australian sides. The odds for this should be closer to 1.2, unless the bookies have decided that it will rain all summer.

England highest opening partnership 1st test @ 2.25 (William Hill) England to win at least one test @ 1.50 (Sporting Odds/Sporting Bet)

Re: Ashes Series

Can someone explain this ruling for me? Not a cricketing man. Whats the difference between a tied match and a draw?
A tied match is when the scores are level at the end of the game. A draw is when there is no result. Vey unlikely in test match cricket, but i guess it could happen. A tie occurred in the one day series between Australia and England recently.

Re: Ashes Series Draw: You could consider this to be "match not finished" i.e. running out of time. A test match is 5 days, so if you get to the end of day 5 and England have scored 400 & 300. Australia have scored 500 and are currently 150 for 5. Aussies still need to score some runs, England need to take some wickets, but no time left, so it's a draw. Tie: Scores are the same eg. England 200 & 350. Australia 300 & 250 all out. Tie, doesn't happen very often. Sorry, that's probably even more more confusing:ok BTW, why has Hoggy not been involved in any of the one day games?:\

Re: Ashes Series Some stats I found interesting Australia vs England at Lords Australia 13 Draw 14 England 5 since 1934 Australia 8 Draw 9 England 1 There has also only been one draw since 1998 at Lords in World test cricket. Everyone is predicting the series could be made or broken in the first session. Can't wait for this one to start.

Re: Ashes Series Couple of Series bets I like the look of: 1pt Top English Runscorer - Vaughn @ 4.25 1pt Top Aussie Runscorer - Ponting @ 3.25 1pt Aussie Series win 3-1 @ 6.00 1st Test bets: 1pt England Opening P'ship @ 2.10 1pt Aussie to win @ 1.75 1pt Vaughn to score more runs than Pietersen 1st innings @ 1.80 All odds with NZTab Good luck all Cheers CK