Racing Chat - Wednesday June 21st (Ascot Day 2)

Ascot - Wednesday

I'm not keen on the look of the second day of the Festival to be honest, 3 races for fillies, a wide open Jersey Stakes, the lottery of the Hunt Cup and the sole Group 1 contest in the Prince Of Wales's Stakes.

The Jersey kicks us off and a race where the favourites have a poor record so maybe worth opposing the French challenger Le Brivido. My ratings suggest Daban and his 3rd in the Guineas being the best piece of form in the race. Back at 7f he may be interesting despite the loss of Frankie.

The 2yo race at 3.05 is all about the American filly Happy Like A Fool, Ryan Moore has been booked and according to all reports she is something special. I cant rate her so will be cheering on Chica La Habana who won the Hilary Needler on debut for Robert Cowell and is a nice price.
My third selection is yet another Filly, Qemah in the Duke Of Cambridge Stakes. Not at her best at Lingfield but a lot of good things were being spoken about her prior to that and she can bounce back here. I have her 15pts ahead of Usherette.

Aidan O'Brien has yet to come to life but could get on the scoresheet with the ultra consistent Highland Reel in the days big race, he has Jack Hobbs to beat but his performance at Epsom was top notch, I have Queens Trust as the each way bet here.
The Hunt Cup on ratings is between top weight Tabarrak and Fastnet Tempest, one drawn high and one in the middle so maybe wise to back both, its wide open as you would expect so small stakes apply.
The last race is a nightmare but the Irish challenger Drumfad Bay just comes out on top from On Her Toes, a tough end to a tough day it looks like to me.

3.40: Qemah 3/1 William Hill
4.20: Highland Reel 11/4 Paddy Power
5.00: Tabarrak EW (25/1 Bet365), Fastnet Tempest EW (10/1 Bet365)

:ok

820 Ripon:

Dakota Gold NAP 9/4 Bet365
Made a good impression when winning at Thirsk on his seasonal debut in April, he won by an easy two lengths that day. Next time out at Redcar he was well backed to follow up but could only manage second to market rival Excessable. If nothing else it showed he can win off his revised mark and the yard remain in good form also. Big chance here under top weight and should make no mistake.

2.30 Ascot DABAN 7/1 William Hill is a smart filly and is improving with every race. She got the mile well enough in the Guineas but could not go with the two Ballydoyle fillies. This drop back to 7f will suit Daban. John Gosden is in good form and he will have this filly in top condition. French Horse Le Brivido has done nothing wrong but like most french horses they tend to like a bit of cut as he did in his last run.

3.40 Ascot LAUGH ALOUD  11/4 Betfred  another Gosden inmate. Again improving at a rate of knots. Thought of being a front runner she was sat in behind the leaders at Epsom on Derby day and was nicely settled before been sent about her business and showed some real class. No ground concerns here and again John Gosden should have her in prime condition.