A pick from WFTE

2.05 Sandown - TEXAS GOLD. Ive followed this horse for about the last 3 years and everything seems to be setup for a good run tomorrow. He ran last Saturday at Windsor, coming 3rd by 1/2 a length and a short head. Here's what the Racing Post had to say:

Texas Gold has never won from a mark this high and could have done without the overnight rain,but he is running into form now and is going to be worth keeping an eye on over the next month or two, as he goes well at this time of year. The Stewards Cup is his target too, but he has options at Sandown and on the AW in the meantime.
3 Texas Gold
in touch, ridden and headway 2f out, chased winner final furlong but no impression, lost 2nd last strides
Before this he ran in The Kings Stand Stakes at Ascot. He came last but was hampered at the start and was always going to lack class in a Group 2 race. Here's the Spotlight remarks for todays race:
:OWSize('RP_Popup','http://www.racingpost.co.uk/horses/racing_horse_form.sd?horse_id=528061',620,480,'no','yes','yes')'>Texas Gold Has slid back to a realistic mark and last Saturday´s close third at Windsor (6f) showed he can figure prominently; 5f fine and usually gives his running, so the big question mark is from likely adverse effect of low draw
Right, the bonuses. Windsor was 6f Class 2. At Sandown he'll be dropped to a preferred 5f and also dropping to Class 3. Texas Gold Has a reasonable record at this time of year too. He wont want any overnight rain though as all his turf wins have come on Firm or GF, although he's had impressive runs on Good ground. To sum up, he's dropped to a more suitable trip, dropped in class, been improving of late and coming into a good time of year. Im not perfect but I rarely judge this horse wrong. 9/1 quoted by the Racing Post looks fantastic(13.5 @ Betfair) and with a 16 horse field:hope I expect a place at the very least.(Ground withstanding) P.S. Ive already taken some of the 25/1 on TEXAS GOLD for the Stewards Cup available at Ladbrokes. Others go 20/1 and 16/1.

Re: A pick from WFTE WTFE, put this in my Horse alerts and got notification that it is running Saturday 9th at Lingfield 13.00, early odds say 5/2 Stan James. Is it worth a dabble, appreciate an early answer, as I am on a flight to Houston tomorrow at 06.20 eek2.gif

Re: A pick from WFTE Thought Id check out some of the competitions all weather records. Numbers in bold are races at Lingfield, others are Wolverhampton or Southwell.(only including 2000 onwards) Bond City - 11 Forever Phoenix - 156112114 Sumora - 15 Fast Heart - 2 Night Prospector - No previous experience Smokin Beau - 3201 Dancing Mystery - 4274331354111 Cape Royal- No previous experience Cornus - No previous experience Not quite what I hoped for. Some good all weather records there. Most impressive being Forever Phoenix's 61211 at Lingfield.

• 2 weeks later...

Re: A pick from WFTE Looks like its got every chance to me. Again a Class 2, which he's yet win. but he's getting closer and closer. Down in the weights this time and certainly isnt out of his depth. The fav Lafi has to be a big concern though, set to go up 12 in the ratings. If the Racing Post forecast of 9/1 is available it'll certainly be worth a dabble eachway. Main concern is how hard they'll push it with his big race only being a week away.