Racing Chat - Friday 12th May

535 Ascot

Swashbuckle NAP 7/2 Bet365

Andrew Balding's 4yo won twice over 12f at Ffos Las last season but was always going to better the further he went. Ran well at York last back end and has since been placed third twice this season including at Newbury last time out. Looks to have found a nice opportunity here to get his head back in front.

3.35 Chester:

Ormonde Stakes

A funny race this year and perhaps more wide open than in previous years. The front two in the betting have a bit to prove so may not be much value at the moment. Midterm was off through injury for a while and has since made a reasonable comeback at  Newbury, finishing 5th in the John Porter Stakes. He now wears a visor for the first time so still has issues it seems. 

US Army Ranger has disappointed on the whole since his good second in the 2016 Epsom Derby, he has not won now since taking the Vase here on his way to Epsom. A lack-lustre 3rd last time out can be improved upon but a wide draw and a short price put me off.

I like Red Verdon but i'm just not sure about his draw in stall 11, he could be running on late for a bit of place money. My choice is going to be the filly Diamonds Pour Moi. She has a perfect draw, has ran well at this track and is still unexposed over the trip and could easily improve on her mark of 105. At 11/1 she represents a bit of value in a tricky old race.

Diamonds Pour Moi EW 11/1 BetVictor/PP

Facinating to see if Cliffs of Moher is the real deal. The bottom line is that as impressive as he was when winning last season, he didn't beat much and it might just have flattered him. I'm still on ante-post for the Derby however and a good run today will be a good guide to see if he is really up to that class.

A couple of selections that should be bang thereabouts at reasonable prices.

4.05 Chester – Highland Pass – Ran creditably in better class of race last season, could be hard to beat at a good price if fully tuned up for this.

6.05 Ascot – Angel of The South Ran well to finish 2nd on debut in what’s turning out to be a very good race. This will be tougher but looks set to be bang there at a good price.