** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **

£100 to £100,000 Glory Hunt (34% Complete)

Torque

Djokovic plays again at the US Open and again he's prohibitively short. He's up against Londero who's not a bad player but not one that should be beating him here, so the plan is to do what I've done in other Djokovic matches which is to hope for a slow start from him so I can get a better price.

The only thing I can see in the football today is Burnley v Liverpool unders. My line is the 5.5 goal line, but I'm not going to play before the start for a few reasons. Firstly, if any forward line can get a glut of goals then Liverpool can and that has to be respected. Secondly, there's every chance Burnley can get a goal in this one as Barnes is in great form and Liverpool are yet to keep a clean sheet plus Alisson in goal is a big part of their defensive stability and is a big miss. Thirdly, Burnley played a cup match in the week and although a lot of their players were rested it's still going to have disrupted their preparations for this match, whereas Liverpool have had a clear week to get ready for this. I'll see what happens in the first half and if I'm going to play it'll be at half-time and it'll be the 5.5 goal line or higher.

5.5 goal line between Burnley and Liverpool came in easily but I don't have any regrets about not getting involved. If I'd played and lost then I'd have regrets. Tomorrow I'm looking at a goal in the match between Arsenal and Tottenham. I want a better price than I can get now so I'll request a lay of 0-0 at 11 as long as Aubameyang plays for Arsenal and Kane plays for Spurs.

Half-time and it's only 1-0 to Belgium. It could have been worse though, as the goal Belgium scored arrived very late in the first-half. The over 2.5 goal line went out to about 1.30 before the goal and it's now back down to about 1.15, so fingers crossed Belgium get another couple as San Marino tire.

Normally I try to put up a few words about why I'm backing something before the off, but I didn't get a chance tonight so instead I'll do it retrospectively and also reflect on how the bet panned out...

San Marino against Belgium pitted the worst international team in the world against the best, and the discrepancy between the two teams was highlighted by the fact you couldn't even back Belgium for the win on the exchanges as nobody wanted to lay them. With a win for Belgium a virtual certainty, the next question was how many would they win by. Ahead of the start, the line I was looking at was over 3.5 goals at about 1.10. I wasn't keen to back that many goals though, because as much as it was highly likely there would be a lot of goals ultimately there's little incentive for a big favourite to run up a big score - if it happens it happens, but if not and as long as the win is secured then it's no big deal. The over 2.5 goal line was about 1.03 and that felt to me like the minimum number of goals Belgium would get as a 1-0 or 2-0 win against such limited opposition would be slightly embarrassing for the best team in the world. As 1.03 was shorter than I wanted to back at, I requested 1.05 in-play and hoped for a slow start to the match and within about 10 minutes the bet was matched.

As expected, Belgium were dominating in all the key stats but they hadn't yet scored and that continued until about five minutes before half-time when they finally broke the deadlock. At this point the bet I bought at 1.05 was now trading at 1.15 - still very likely to win but much less likely than before the match started - and I wasn't feeling confident as I wondered if Belgium might just get a second goal and then sit back for a comfortable win. Fortunately, and this was one of the reasons I took the bet, the Belgian manager is attack-minded and was no doubt unhappy with the lack of goals and so sent on a couple of substitutes and it was those substitutes that quickly scored the goals needed for my bet to land. At this point I didn't care what happened during the rest of the match, but I kept an eye on it to see if the over 3.5 goal line would land. Heading into injury time it looked like there would only be three goals, but with almost the last kick of the game Belgium got a fourth. I'm glad I didn't back four goals or more though - I'm trying to find things to back that win comfortably and that definitely wouldn't have been a comfortable win if I'd been on it.

The next possible bet for this thread is unders between Brighton and Burnley. The line I'm looking at is 4.5 goals and like previous Burnley matches that I've looked at, I want Pope, Tarkowski and Mee to be playing at the back. I'm not sure how Brighton will set up - I think they play a back three with wing-backs - so I'll look at that nearer the start. Initial thoughts are that this could have a few goals in it as Brighton are playing much more attacking football this season under a new manager, plus Burnley seem to be playing more expansively as well even though their team and manager have been settled for a few seasons now. Once I've seen the teams and figured out how they might line up I'll either back under 4.5 goals before the start, or I'll leave it and see if there's an early goal which might give me the chance to back under 5.5 goals.

The teams are in and Burnley have named the defensive players I want and it looks like Brighton are playing with a back four. It bothers me though that there were four goals in the corresponding fixture last season, when Brighton had a defensive manager. I've decided to try to play it safe in this one and ask for 1.05 on under 5.5 goals. I'll post if it gets matched.

Next up is laying 0-0 between Watford and Arsenal. There should be goals in this, as Arsenal continue to create chances up front and concede them at the back - plus Watford have a new (old!) manager which should mean players trying to impress and more chance of a goal for the home side. Right now it's about 20's to lay 0-0 and I'd like better so I'm requesting 15's and I'll let it run. As always if I get matched I'll post to confirm.

I'm looking at laying 0-0 in Arsenal's match against Eintracht Frankfurt in the Europa League that kicks off shortly. The Gunners have made changes, as they often do in these matches, but importantly Aubameyang is in the team and I don't think the changes in defence make them any stronger in that area. Frankfurt did well in this competition last season and are on a great run at home, plus they have a useful goalscorer in Dost leading their front line so at least one goal looks likely here. I'm asking for 15's in-play and will post to confirm if I get on.

I'm passing on the unders tomorrow between Burnley and Norwich. The main reason is Norwich - they've started the season like they finished the last, namely with the attitude that they'll score more than they concede and win games that way. That's obviously no use to me, and whilst they should find it difficult to get past the Burnley defence it probably won't be that difficult for Burnley to create chances against a leaky and undermanned Norwich defence. All in all it's a recipe for goals and it's an example of a bet that if I take it and it loses I'll be kicking myself. No doubt it'll finish 0-0 after saying all that, but if that does happen it won't change what I think are good reasons for leaving this game alone and waiting for something better.

Edited by Torque

Easy winner in the end on the unders in the Burnley v Norwich match - although it didn't necessarily look like that after two early goals for Burnley. Next up will probably be a goal in the Arsenal v Aston Villa match tomorrow. I'll have a look and put it up if it's going to be a bet.