Sports Personality of the year

Sunday 25th December 2005 Coral Latest betting (win only) E. Macarthur 11/10 P. Radcliffe 9/4 A. Flintoff 10/1 K. Holmes 12/1 S. Gerrard 12/1 M. Vaughan 16/1 I'm not sure that the leading two in the market can win this, Radcliffe has already won it and probably lost a few points/fans in the Olympics, i know her Marathon win was a fantastic achievment but would it be enough to land first prize? Why is Kelly Holmes priced up again? Macarthur has done enough to finish in second or third for me for her sailing record but i think this is going to go to one of our cricketers or Steven Gerrard possibly, bet 365 have him at 13/2 3rd fav. Biased i am being a Liverpool fan but he seems popular by most sets of fans, he has been so inspirational in Europe this season, his goals against Graz, his last gasp goal against Olympiakos and the way he clawed us back in the CL final surely puts him in with a shout, i think 12's is very big. Gerrard could be my first bet in nearly 3 months at that price I dont know enough about cricket but i do know that we are better now than for a long time, does Flintoff or Vaughan have a shout? Any views?

Re: Sports Personality of the year I'd say the chances of a cricketer winning it depend on how we do in the Ashes. If we beat Australia, I'd say a cricketer stands a very good chance of winning. If Harmison has a good series he could be a good outside bet at 33/1.

Re: Sports Personality of the year when does the voting start from. If its starts from the start of the year then E. Macarthur is nailed on IMO. like dave said unless it a euro or world cup then I cant see gerrard winning it. they have there own awards and the BBC love the E. Macarthurs of this world. Trouble is with footballers is that no matter what they do,it gets forgotten pretty quickly. cant radcliffe winning this also due her poor performance in the olympics etc(as mentioned also) on the whole if its priced up at nearly evens for E. Macarthur then im sure thats the winner.

Re: Sports Personality of the year agree herp. i first looked at this in march on betfair and ellen was 2.5 ish then. paula radcliffe will have to do more than win the london and new york marathons to rid herself of the "olympic bottler" tag that she unfortunately has now. no-ones mentioned that gerrard was actually not playing in one juventus game and crap in one of the chelsea games too.... although he scored in the final, no-one bar dudek was really outstanding/memorable. liverpool will probably get the team award..... unless.... we win the ashes (haha....):eyes then... perm anyone from 11!

Re: Sports Personality of the year I'm already on MacArthur. This weekend she is going to set the new record for the Plymouth to Roscoff route (never been done before except for the ferry!!), but it is expected to be a big one in years to come - it's exactly 100 miles. It's preperation for Ellen's assault on the fastest ever solo crossing of the Atlantic in September. If she does it, then she's nailed on IMO

Re: Sports Personality of the year The rest of that Coral's list: Tim Henman 16/1 Amir Khan 20/1 Andrew Strauss 25/1 Kevin Pietersen 25/1 Steve Harmison 25/1 Darren Clarke 33/1 Dean Macey 33/1 Frank Lampard 33/1 John Terry 33/1 Johnny Wilkinson 33/1 Luke Donald 33/1 Matthew Hoggard 33/1 Ricky Hatton 33/1 Lee Westwood 40/1 Audley Harrison 50/1 David Beckham 50/1 Gavin Henson 50/1 Michael Owen 50/1 Ronnie O'Sullivan 50/1 Wayne Rooney 50/1 Frankie Dettori 66/1 Jenson Button 66/1 Phil Taylor 66/1 Shaun Murphy 66/1 Tony McCoy 66/1 Colin Montgomerie 80/1 Greg Rusedski 80/1 Dan Wheldon 100/1 Paul Hunter 100/1 ....of six to be shortlisted, I can only really see Ellen MacArthur and Ricky Hatton now as definites. Steven Gerrard may get the footballer nod ahead of Frank Lampard, Wayne Rooney and John Terry. No idea about the other two or three that'd get shortlisted. Dan Wheldon could be the shocker as he's a Brit doing a storming turn dominating proceedings in the US in the Indy Racing League. I'm putting a sneaky piddling £3.03 (YES! That's true! That's all they'll allow me!) on with Coral's on Ricky Hatton at 33/1 (even if it is 'win only') just for the fcuk of it. ;) The bias against Sky will yeah, probably go against him but if there's a fight scheduled around October against a world class opponent and he wins even the BBC may be forced to concede to give it to Ricky Hatton. ....who gives a fcuk about Ellen MacArthur? :lol

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Re: Sports Personality of the year

WOW!! To think Andrew Flintoff wasn't on Coral's list back in June but I suspect he must have been around 25/1.
Erm, not sure if I've misunderstood something here, but the first message in this thread (from June) has Flintoff on there at 10/1 with Corals.:\ Oh well, I had the right idea with a cricketer back in June, unfortunately picked the wrong one. Unless of course Harmison rips through the Aussies with at least a 10-wicket haul in this test and the final test. :hope

Re: Sports Personality of the year I have to say, after his performance today - that puts him easily englands best performer over the ashes. Particularly considering he is yet to bowl and should take a few wickets if england do win the ashes, he will be hailed as the hero. Pieterson also has a chace, as he is one of those players that has kind of a histeria around him like beckham - so if he could score 150 in the last test match that could be enough for him. If england dont win the ashes then its game on I suppose. Sco

Re: Sports Personality of the year it's flintoff for me if England win the ashes, he is the one that gets exposure - much more than the others. He is now 11/8 fav I noticed that overseas personality had Lance armsstrong odds on. My money would be on Tiger Woods whose major records this reads 1-2-1 & i think he was either 2nd or 3rd in the recent USPGA. As he won our Major as well plus the coveted US Masters, he must be worth a shout. He is 6.65 on betfair against armstrong who is odds on.

• 1 year later...