** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** ELO Ratings are now back **

National League and other leagues and FA Trophy 14th November

Darran

I'm away the weekend so need to put my tips up tonight.

Just the bets for me on Saturday all the National League. Macclesfield have already been backed which is a shame as they were as big as 9/4, but I still think they rate the best bet of the weekend. On the face of it their away form isn't great, but looking at their last eight away games they have had a very tough set of fixtures. They have beaten Aldershot, Guiseley and Grimsby in that time and the defeats were all against teams currently in the top 7 of the table. They go to Woking on Saturday and although they got a point against Braintree, I think a lot of that would have been down to Braintree's tough schedule rather than any improvement from the home side. Macclesfield had a comfortable 3-0 over Altrincham on the same night and I think they should be favourites to win this which is why at just under 2/1 with Marathon they still rate a bet.

Braintree themselves are worth backing at Halifax. Halifax's defence looked shocking yet again against Wycombe on Sunday and although they have had the rest of the week off an Braintree had that game at Woking I just don't see anything but an away win. Given Braintree have the tightest defence in the division I fancy they might only need the one goal to win this, but they are sure to get a few chances to score more than that against Halifax's defence. There is enough in the price at just odds against with Marathon for me to play.

Aldershot may have one eye on the FA Cup game next week and they only got a draw against Southport when I backed them a couple of weeks ago, but other than that their away form is strong and they travel to a Kidderminster side who continue to look a poor side. They lost 3-1 to Chester in the week and I would be disappointed if Aldershot didn't have too much for them. Coral are best on an away win at 7/5.

I was a bit pushed for time this week and didn't have time to go anywhere near the trophy. I considered havant as that was a big win on Tuesday and maidenhead could be distracted by the big cup game, but need more than one good win for me to put my money down and maidenhead are a very good side who are hard to beat. 

Stand out bet for me this weekend is in the FA Trophy is

Shaw Lane Aquaforce to beat Matlock Town at 8/5

Despite being a league lower Shaw Lane are the stronger outfit in my humble opinion. SL have a few players who have played in the football league. The back line in solid and with 7 clean sheets from 8 i dont feel Matlock will trouble them based on how i saw Matlock play last week.Up front they seemed pretty limp. I believe i saw in the press is that the manager who is approaching 40 was even going to put himself on midweek as they need 2 more strikers. Ok they scored 3 last Saturday v Frickley but beleive me 2 of those goals were gift wrapped. No9 was left unmarked in 15 yards of space in the Frickley area. The 3rd was a complete cockup with the Frickley goalie trying to nutmeg a Matlock player in his six yard box instead of hoofing it upfield after a pass back. So unless you were there you would think the 3-0 win was a convincing display .... it was from from that.

In contrast the Shaw Lane forward line have looked razor sharp of late and have banged in ten goals in the last two games. The 5-0 win v Basford was the most ruthless display i have seen by a NL side this season. They made a decent Basford team look very ordinary and they won in a hack canter, hard held.

The only question mark is will they rest certain key players and take the competition seriously. I am aware their main aim is get into the national Conference within 3 seasons. With their wealthy backer not shy of spending the cash they could achieve their goal sooner rather than later. But with the final being played at Wembley there is a fair chance they will be and i am willing to take that risk considering my odds were just south of Evens. The 8/5 is very generous.

Boreham Wood vs Chester

Some may say that I am crazy or stupid but for me just one bet this leg. Boreham home win looks very tempting and I am on it. They just deserve another chance after last leg and for most of us surprising win over Bromley. Also take in consideration that Chester is noting special as guest, just two win so far against Southport and Macclesfield.

Boreham Wood - Chester  1 @3,1 Bet365 is more than a generous 

or AH 0:0 1 @2,25

Edited by fudof

16 minutes ago, bromsgrovegreen said:

great shout on Macclesfield and braintree

what the hell is going on at woking addpea? read somewhere the whole squad is on the transfer list?

Cheers. The whole squad have been placed on the loan list. Losing a couple of big players to season ending injuries was always going to be a big blow, but they actually did well for a bit after that and were of course the first team to beat fgr. If memory serves me right they have only picked up four points since and only win was over Halifax. I am amazed they are doing as badly as they are though as I like the manager and they should be able to do enough to stay up especially as their is clearly some rubbish below them and their good start might well prove crucial. 

No it was an odd one and maybe not his decision. Poku has gone to Havant and certainly helped kick them into gear. Sole has also gone out on loan which is surprising. Just watched the highlights and they looked bad. Also just looked at the prices and they are 22/1 to finish in the bottom 4 which has to be a sporting play to be honest. I was expecting a lot less. Also I think I could score past Halifax's defence at the moment.