** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** ELO Ratings are now back **

McCain loses 50 horses!

DONALD McCAIN has vowed to fight back from the hammer blow of losing 50 horses.

Paul and Clare Rooney have removed their entire string from the Grand National-winning trainer’s Cheshire yard, where they have been the principal owners in recent seasons, including of Fred Winter Hurdle fourth Starchitect and Grand National hopes Kruzhlinin and The Last Samuri.

Explaining the situation to the Racing Post, McCain said: "I had a meeting with Paul on Thursday and he said he was going to move a large number of horses. I requested some of the ones on the list should stay for various reasons, but after much thought I was informed on Sunday evening they had decided to move all their horses elsewhere and start afresh.

"Obviously, this was a huge blow. I’ve thoroughly enjoyed my time training for Paul and Clare and would like to think I leave them with a really nice bunch of high-quality horses.

"I firmly believe that among them there is a Grade 1 hurdler and a serious Grand National contender."

He continued: "Of course, it’s their prerogative and I wish them every success. I knew this was a risk when becoming so involved with one big owner, but it was an opportunity to buy the type of horses I’d always wanted to train."

Without being smart after the event i thought something hadn't been right in the McCain yard for quite a while now and not surprised the Rooney's have moved to other yards. Last season at one time i was quite happily taking on any McCain favourite and posted them on here, they were terrible value especially at the Northern tracks likes Carlisle and Haydock and also worth opposing at his favourite track Bangor.

I'm not privy to whats been going on but you could see in his interviews he wasn't a happy chappy, although to be fair he always seems to come across as very droll to me.

Its a shame especially as his jockey Jason Maguire is also finding things tough and not even sure he will come back anytime soon. The yard need him now for sure.

Back to basics and hope he can find another Peddlers Cross!

Without being smart after the event i thought something hadn't been right in the McCain yard for quite a while now and not surprised the Rooney's have moved to other yards. Last season at one time i was quite happily taking on any McCain favourite and posted them on here, they were terrible value especially at the Northern tracks likes Carlisle and Haydock and also worth opposing at his favourite track Bangor.

I'm not privy to whats been going on but you could see in his interviews he wasn't a happy chappy, although to be fair he always seems to come across as very droll to me.

Its a shame especially as his jockey Jason Maguire is also finding things tough and not even sure he will come back anytime soon. The yard need him now for sure.

Back to basics and hope he can find another Peddlers Cross!

I think Maguire is the retained jockey of the Rooney's mate, so he could well be off too. I think they will be keeping Maguire from what I have read.

I think McCain has had a serious dip in form, but it has to be said, he had a 23% strike-rate with the Rooney horses, not too shabby at all that.

Still though, I agree, something isn't right with the yard, he has no good horses anymore. Rumours are some of the Rooney horses will be off to the Gordon Elliott stable, looking forward to that!

Whatever lies behind this it's a shame in the sense that northern jumps training has been in decline for some time and this appears to be another nail in the coffin

Having said that if I had a string of 50 horses I'd spread them around a bit.......you wouldn't want all your horses out of action if there was a virus in the yard or a local outbreak of foot and mouth or just a yard badly out of form for unknown reasons

Totally agree about the Northern racing scene, its very weak these days.

Lucinda Russell seems to win most things in Scotland and Nicky Richards can take on the big boys.

The others like Ellison, Quinn, Easterby are more dual purpose and have the flat breds.