Up,Down,Level

Thought it'd be a good idea to start off a tracker of how we're all getting on. I'd say i'm comfortably down today. Quevega winning meant my double of her and Annie Power survives, which is my big bet of the week. My ante-post flopped in the Arkle(R.O.R) and I had HF at 7/2 for a few months who looked rather like it's time up at that level. In terms of multiples, of which I've a few, i'm one up one down on a L15(Vautour 3's and HF 3's), with Balthazar King and Annie Power to follow(5's and 9/4). Think tomorrow will really set the tone for how i'm going to fare. Looking at my bets i've been a bit foolish and went multiples over singles which is maybe a bit of a mug play, but i'll save everyone the tediousness of looking through the dodgy lucky 15's i'm sitting on. I'd like a winner tomorrow so I can try cover myself a bit for the World Hurdle without making deposits. I've got a decent looking £11 on Last Instalment for the gold cup at 33's for a well-priced bail out if it all goes a bit wrong, though i'm starting to doubt he'll run if the ground is on the quicker side, especially given today's tragedy. Yourselves? Seen a few good shouts today, looking forward to hearing some good news stories!

Re: Up,Down,Level There was some absolutely brilliant tipping on the forum today, although i can't say i expected any less! Quiet days betting for me, my 2 selections for the day both lost (Highland Retreat and Buthlezi) although i had a free bet on Midnight Prayer which won @ 8/1 and even though i wasn't planning betting on the Champion Hurdle, i took Corals offer of evens on MTOY to be placed, only accepted £20 but thought it paid for a bet tomorrow!

Re: Up,Down,Level A surprisingly amazing day for myself.. Had a free £20 Bet with BetBright, stuck it on Vautour at 4/1. Then had Western Warhorse each-way @ 50's and was literally shocked when he won but I thought he was too big a price, well done on that one too Toast!!! Then I had The Package e/w at 25's, came 3rd and followed up with a fairly decent bet on Jezki at 10/1... Didn't have anything after that but christ I can't complain. Long way to go yet though. :lol

Re: Up,Down,Level Broke a couple of pound up, well down really but free £10 bet i intended to bet on the Superbowl. so way i look at it i won, lol Don't think i will ever back Hurricane fly again, so get on for next year. always wins when i dont back him and looses when i get on, reminds me of Red Rum, every time i backed that bugger he either came 2nd or was withdrawn as well. :)

Re: Up,Down,Level Had a bet in every race, biggest bets were on MTOY in the Champion and Dodging Bullets in the Arkle, both obviously lost. Backed Irving, Vautour, Gilgamboa and Wickow Brave against the field in the first, returned a small profit. Glens Melody in the Mares Hurdle e/w @ 18's, nearly made it but again a small profit. Ended up doubling up though as I got the Trifecta in the Champion Hurdle, set me up nicely for the rest of the week. Hit the bar with Shotgun Paddy as well but I will take that for the first day.

Re: Up,Down,Level Well, today was a helper. Started rather grimly as I missed Faugheen, and watched Kaylif Aramis crash out when improving in the Coral Cup. Sire de Grugy offered a bit of a reprieve, then I threw some caution to the wind with a 'if it's not to be it's not to be' punt on Batlhazar King, which has let me insure a little on the World Hurdle tomorrow and get a few points back. No luck in the last two with Goodwood Mirage becoming the latest in an increasingly annoying sequence of fallers, and Modus having to run about 8 deep the whole way. 4 runners tomorrow, all of varying importance and optimism. Southfield Theatre bidding to defy top weight in the Pertemps would be a happy surprise but greatly unexpected, Al Ferof has unwittingly turned into a bit of a nap for me and if winning will make things a bit more comfortable. Cause of Causes in the Kim Muir further highlights how I need to break my love affair with handicaps(context is key on that line), and then it's on to Annie in the World. As i've mentioned, i've insured her a bit with Big Bucks e/w. Still very much down overall, but with winners here and there in multiples I should recoup a fair chunk. Given that yesterday I was somewhat tailed off, and i'm now a few lengths down, I consider that success. Continuing the broken metaphor, here's hoping I can ping the last couple flights early tomorrow and then take off with Annie Power!

Re: Up,Down,Level Only one decent bet, Anti post on Sire de grugy, so a good day. thought it was a great bet at 3/1 when SS looked like coming out, couldn't believe the 7/2 on offer today. very confident ride and tremendous reception by the jockeys in the winners circle.

Re: Up,Down,Level I'm done with horses until at least September. It was that bad. Pretty sure if you check most threads you'll find a hard luck story from me, highlighted today by the wonderful Last Instalment taking a nose dive. Learned a lesson here though, having all the eggs in one Annie Power sized basket was almost always a risk. And, the handicaps are not for me.

Re: Up,Down,Level Did nothing today, only a few small interest bets taking advantage of the offers, lucky Ruby held on for top jockey to at least get something back. decent EW best on Conti was a bit of a bummer. Cant take that much out of this years festival except, AP should run well in champion hurdle. there were a few impressive winners but it would be dangerous to have them as anti post bankers for next year.

Re: Up,Down,Level Managed to come out in profit but not by much. If one of Deputy Dan, Thomas Crapper or Claret Cloak had held on/not clattered the 2nd last, I would have had a much better return but considering I had a couple win by very narrow margins myself I cant really complain! Looking forward to Aintree now but that is normally a pit for my money!

Re: Up,Down,Level First time betting at Cheltenham and I managed to pick up 3 winners in Vautour 4/1, Jezki 10/1 and Balthazar King 6/1 and a couple of places here and there leaving me with a nice profit. Couldn't have expected it to go any better and I'm looking forward to Aintree now.

Re: Up,Down,Level Massively up. Winning bets on Jezki, Warhorse, place bet Hidden Cyclone, place lay wins on Fly, Bucks, bobs and Conti. Win lose on Cyclone, place lose on Annie, ew loss on creepy. Lost on my GC ante post bets... Selective betting, avoided the handicaps x country and bumper. Roll on Aintree.

Re: Up,Down,Level Bit of drizzle forecast towards the end of next week, be surprised if Aintree dont water though if it remains dry, so much controversy over horses dying IMO they wont allow the ground to be as fast as Cheltenham was. be interesting to see how the Cheltenham horses run.

• 11 months later...

Re: Up,Down,Level Felt I'd resurrect this given my hiatus from the forum after I took a pounding last year(P.S, if you want to have a laugh at my year old pocket talk, read above - I cringed at what i'd wrote!) How are we all fairing? I won't after-time too much on my winners as it'd be a little artificial looking, but suffice to say i'm actually looking good this year. Ruby Tuesday was of course highly lucrative,think I was the only one to swerve Annie Power out of spite(read my previous posts on this thread to see why!) and cash in on Glen's Melody on the basis of her running Quevega close....she'd have won if Annie jumped the last anyway.....right?.....yeah, maybe not, but it's my little bit of fortune. In all seriousness though, delighted she's ok and she'll return as next year's nap for me. Today was a mixed bag, got out of jail a little on the bumper with Modus each way on account of his good run last year when posted 6-7 wide. If he hadn't hit traffic and instead went on to win, this post would be a great deal more slurred. Couple mug multiples on for tomorrow, and then i'll probably take a viewing brief on Friday - apart from Ned Buntline in the last! Hope everyone's going strong!

Re: Up,Down,Level Well done fellas, had a bad day today, but got the placepot up on Day 1, £4 on it and the dividend was £211. Put my 50 quid free bet from the paddy offer on Cause Of Causes @ 8's.. Nothing apart from that, been a poor festival for me from a tipping and punting perspective.

Re: Up,Down,Level Just thought I'd share my views, got a few singles up on Monday so got up £50. Done a small single on Windsor up again a few quid. Back two seemly decent horses with decent e/w stakes and that was me bust, I'm relatively new to horses, so finding my feet, tomorrow's a new day so hopefully get a read here on the forum at what's hothot.

Re: Up,Down,Level Hop day at the course yesterday. £20 wins on Windsor Dodging and Moon Racer all at sp. French horse did my placepot in, in that horrible x country race. Lost on handicaps which I don't like anyway. only played ante post arctic fire on Tuesday, ew. Personally, I'm more pleased with my own way of thinking and not following the crowd. See my thought on QM chase.

Re: Up,Down,Level On my main bets (1 Irish and 1 UK) - 7 Winners and 4 seconds but backed all to win only! Tuesday was loss of 1 Pt Wednesday was profit of 0.5 Pt Thursday was loss of 12 Pt Friday was loss of 1 Pt Not a disaster but not good enough! Probably do similar next year and approach with 2 per race. Anti-Post showed a profit due to a good 1st day largely due to Arctic Fire getting 2nd! Fun bets of backing previous festival winners was a virtual wipeout! Just 3 winners all who won last year! Seems that past champions just do come back and win. Next year will probably do the same but only back this years festival winners! Great festival really enjoyed the whole 4 days! Well done to anyone who made profit.

Re: Up,Down,Level First two days were horrible without any winners but Thursday and Friday couldn't have gone any better. Thursday started well with an each-way double of Apache Stronghold and Monetaire which yielded a small return and Aqalim placed for me at 33/1 after a great ride by STD in the Pertemps. Then Uxizandre won for me at 25/1 and Toast's great pick At Fishers Cross was beaten a neck into a place at 40/1. Edeymi, Double Ross and Un Temps Pour Tout were a bit disappointing. Peace and Co set up today nicely before Killultagh Vic won at 10/1 and Eastlake placed for me in the last. Not sure what happened to my big fancy Shantou Bob who really ran in snatches. Still maintain he's very talented but it will be interesting to hear what Warren Greatrex had to say as he seemed quietly confident. My other bets were Bobs Worth who looks finished, Many Clouds, Waxies Dargle and Paint The Clouds. Next year I probably won't do as many ante post bets as although most of them went off a lot shorter I wouldn't have backed Vibrato Valtat or Un Temps Pour Tout on the day. I also wouldn't have backed Paint The Clouds in these conditions while Bobs Worth and Double Ross were available at bigger prices. At Fishers Cross was the only ante post bet I was really happy with. In the few days around the declaration stages there seemed to be some decent value available though and that's when I got Uxizandre at 25/1 for the Ryanair. Still not disciplined enough as I threw on Jezki even though I didn't fancy him at all and there were probably a couple of other bets I shouldn't have placed which is something to work on. Delighted to make a profit though and what a week of racing. Un de Sceaux, Vautour, Uxizandre and Coneygree were a joy to watch as there's nothing better than seeing a chaser jump and gallop their rivals into the ground.

Re: Up,Down,Level Horrible first 2 days no return from around 20 bets, don't think I even had a horse still on the screen in the final furlong. Third day better lots of places but a frustrating 50/1 faller who had just stolen 6 lengths on the field 4 out. Finally a winner on the fourth day with Coneygree and a couple of places but still down for festival.