Friday 2:40 > Albert Bartlett Novices Hurdle

• 5 weeks later...

Re: Friday 2:40 > Albert Bartlett Novices Hurdle A lot of the Irish tipsters I have heard are all over Briar Hill. I think Paddy Mullins even said he could win any of the 3 novice races at the Festival this year! I havent looked at the race yet but I get the feeling there will be quite a weight of money on him over the next 2 weeks and he might be a good horse to back and lay given he is likely to shorten.

Re: Friday 2:40 > Albert Bartlett Novices Hurdle

A lot of the Irish tipsters I have heard are all over Briar Hill. I think Paddy Mullins even said he could win any of the 3 novice races at the Festival this year! I havent looked at the race yet but I get the feeling there will be quite a weight of money on him over the next 2 weeks and he might be a good horse to back and lay given he is likely to shorten.
Already well backed in from when I posted this and he is sure to get shorter still! I hope some of you took my advice :)

Re: Friday 2:40 > Albert Bartlett Novices Hurdle Cheltenham 2:40 - Albert Bartlett Novices' Hurdle(Spa) (Grade 1) (1) 3m Kings Palace looks to have a huge chance here with the stable in red hot form. They have had three winners already this week and Tom Scudamore is riding out of his skin. Briar Hill is a very talented horse but I don't think there is that much to choose between them. Kings Palace is 2/2 here at Cheltenham and he looked very impressive when he won a Grade 2 here by 14 lengths last time out. Deputy Dan is a horse with a lot of potential and he beat Splash Of Ginge with a lot of ease, a horse that went on to win the Betfair Hurdle. Selections KINGS PALACE Win @ 7/2 Bet365 DEPUTY DAN each-way @ 16/1 Bet365 Read Full Preview @ http://www.horse-racing.org/albert-bartlett-preview-kings-palace-to-land-the-race-for-the-in-form-pipe-yard

Re: Friday 2:40 > Albert Bartlett Novices Hurdle There is very little strength in depth to this race and I cant see anything past the first 5 in the market. Briar Hill is now a very short price and not one I will be latching onto any further. I really like him and he reminds me a little of Big Bucks in the way he travels and grinds out a performance. I think this trip is sure to suit him and whilst he hasnt beaten much and hasnt beaten them stylishly, I really like the way he finishes his races off and if you watch the end of his hurdles debut you would think that he had only joined in at the final furlong as he was so full of running. Captain Cutter is a horse I find it hard to get a grip on. He doesnt jump that well and was asked to fiddle his way round at Newbury at the back of the field before coming through quite strongly. He didnt power away at the finish but it was on heavy ground so I wont hold that against him. He has drawn clear quite readily on better ground so I providing his jumping doesnt let him down I could see him getting involved. Champagne West is another difficult horse to fathom. His last couple of runs on bad ground probably dont do him justice (despite winning easily) and I really liked how both him and Deputy Dan pulled clear of the pack at Warwick. They both quickened really well and battled it out at the finish. He has also prone to the odd mistake which could make him vulnerable, especially if he gets behind as I see him as a grinder as opposed to one that has a turn of foot so if he gets behind I think he will find it difficult to make up that ground. Deputy Dan (16/1 EW & 9/1 W/out Briar Hill Bet365) is probably the one I am going to side with EW. I wrote this about his chance in the Neptune: "The last horse I have looked at tonight is Deputy Dan and if he goes to this race (betfair market doesnt fill me with confidence) then he must also have a very good chance. I think it would have been a real good tussle between him and Rathvinden at Warwick and DD couldnt have won with more authority the time before that at Chepstow on bad ground. He also ran a cracker behind Champagne West who looked like a class horse as well in that race (won his next two starts) and they both came home miles clear of the remainder. Deputy Dan does have a habit of fluffing the last a little which would worry me if he turns up but I do think he has the engine and that little bit of quality to make his mark if he gets his chance.". I dont see the trip being a problem and I do like his form. He jumps well on the whole despite his tendency to hit the last and I also think his jockey is a little underrated. I think he will enjoy the test Cheltenham has to offer and I can definitely see him having a hand at the finish. Finally Kings Palace is the only horse proven at the trip. His chance solely lies on having them all off the bridle a way out because I dont think he has that change of gear the other fancied runners do. The trainer and jockey are flying but I must say that Im not a fan of Scu riding from the front and that would be another worry for me. He has a huge engine and he has been saved for the better ground but given his price and my concern about how much he will find in a competitive race he isnt a bet for me.

Re: Friday 2:40 > Albert Bartlett Novices Hurdle hmmmm...............maybe im crazy but I don't like briar hill ........(hides in shame ...lol) ......yes hes progressive but on the clock hes actually done nothing ........yes hes got a lot of potential but would I want to be backing at evs?...........tbh I wouldn't back him at 7/2 ........that's just my opinion ..and it wouldn't surprise me to see him get beaten quite badly ..........kings palace at least has some fair times on the clock ........and course form but has got to prove he has got the class to run fast in this grade and at 7/2 I cant be interested ........the one that does interest me is CAPTAIN CUTTER .........he beat 140 and 144 rated horses as he liked last time so I think his revised 147 mark could be well short (equal to briar hill).........secondly he is proven at grade 1 .....another positive .............has the services of a p McCoy ....another positive and has been the subject of positive vibes at home in the yard .......and Henderson really rates this horse ..........putting all that together makes his 10/1 pricetag ..very very tempting e.w ..........and ive got to play it ............just looks a better all round value bet of the front two captain cutter 3pts e.w 10/1 bet365

Re: Friday 2:40 > Albert Bartlett Novices Hurdle What an odd race that turned out to be! Daryl Jacob getting thrown off before the start and almost into the crowd and Briar Hill falling half way through the race. I didnt think the winner would be good enough to win that race and he may not have with Briar Hill still in the race. Unfortunately Deputy Dan just hesitated at the last which cost him plenty of momentum and he was never catching the winner from there. Shame but not like it hasnt cause him a few issues in the past. I do wonder whether Leighton Aspell would have just held on to him for a little longer if he was able to ride the race again.