** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

BBOTD Football

I have a suggestion for a new competition or a new sub forum. I think the BBOTD in the horses is a great competition and I like the BBOTD format in general. However not all of us bet on the horses so I thought why not expand this great format into football. Because of the current seperated forums for many football competitions I think it would be both fun and helpful to have one BBOTD football competition. The only rule difference with the horses that I suggest is that the value of a bet must be equal or higher than evens. Football has a lot more short odds than Horses so I think a minimum odd set is a good way of making it a very interesting topic in terms of both value and competition. With a handicap/spread you can make any game of interesting value in football. What do you guys think about it?

Re: BBOTD Football

There already is a football competition Ziener, have you entered this? http://forum.punterslounge.com/forums/111-Tipsters-Challenge-Competition
I have definitely seen it but not yet entered. However I do feel the BBOTD I suggest is slightly different from this competition. As I understand the competition you have linked here works with a restricted set of possible bets you can select from. If i see it correctly it is limited to the UK only. I thought with the diversion we have on this forum with people from many nations why not make a simple BBOTD football competition, with a free choice of competition? I would for one much rather participate in a competition where I can make my pick based upon the league of my own country ( Dutch league ) than leagues I know far less about like the UK ones. With the only rule being that it should be odds of evens or higher I think you can really give people a chance to excel with predictions in their own domestic leagues or favorite leagues outside of the UK. I think there is both value and fun in it. I think it could become quite popular as instead of having to browse to all the different domestic league forums you could look up your favorite punter most valuable pick of the day in his league of expertise in one topic.

Re: BBOTD Football There used to be another football competition: European & Worldwide Football Competition EWWC was covering exactly what you say this current one is missing: rest of the world (so, picks from UK leagues were not allowed there, so these two competitions were complementary) and any market you fancied. Lower odds limit was set to 1.50, and higher the odds, bigger the points you were awarded. Format of the competition was Champions League one: there used to be qualifying round, to get 32 entrants who were then divided in 8 groups of 4 players; they used to play each other twice, "home" and "away". After group stage, runners and runners-up went to knockout stage. Unfortunatelly, the competition ended in 2012...

Re: BBOTD Football I've just read again Meatman's post full of feelings there, yup, I have nice memories from playing 4 or 5 seasons and being an admin for 2 or 3 seasons, so I can imagine his feelings after running it for 7 years!

I agree with Paul' date=' perhaps this is a good time to end things. I could sense things were getting a bit stale and was going to think about changing a few things anyway. However, I see no reason why in the future this competition can't return in some shape or form. I do think the days of big prize money in this are over, but it doesn't mean one day it couldn't return with people just playing for pride.[/quote'] Many new people and new great members, just like Ziener who started this thread, have joined PL in the meantime, so maybe EWWC has been parked in a hangar enough, could it be the time to kick it out on the runway and see it taking off again?! :)

I've just read again Meatman's post full of feelings there, yup, I have nice memories from playing 4 or 5 seasons and being an admin for 2 or 3 seasons, so I can imagine his feelings after running it for 7 years! Many new people and new great members, just like Ziener who started this thread, have joined PL in the meantime, so maybe EWWC has been parked in a hangar enough, could it be the time to kick it out on the runway and see it taking off again?! :)
I think it's definitely worth a try to put this back up again. The EWWC sounds like a great idea but it might involve a lot of monitoring and the format itself is quite complicated. Also with the previous format, once you are out you are out. Anyone can have a few bad days and I think the people who were out of the competition just called it quits and lost interest. I think it would be a great addition to the forum to start this up but just like with BBOTD horses that you cannot be expelled from the competition but make it recurring. So just a running competition with the only rule is that your odd must be of value ( I still fancy the evens or higher but it is up for debate ). Since football is a bit more popular than horses you could potentially get a lot of players. To make sure it not overcrowds ( and thus not be manageable anymore for an admin ) you could work with a 2 week sign up period where people get a chance to enlist. Once you put your name there all you have to do is give your favorite play of the day in whatever football league you want. Perhaps you can test it with a 2 month running period and evaluate if it's any good. Then if it's more popular you could make it possible for new players to join every month or so. Then a few guys interested in monitoring it could take turns in keeping track of the bets and see who is on top. To keep it easier and managable I think it does not have to be a unit competition per se. It could also just be a subforum itself with at the end of the day an admin just lists the winners and keep a table of who won the most so far. So not who has the most units but just who had the most correct predictions. If the minimum odds is evens than you know any pick is basicly value so the guy with the most wins is the king of the hill. It is fairly easy to manage and could be done by one or two guys. I could help out with that. What do you guys think? I really fancy the name BBOTD football because it already has a good reputation with the horses.

Yeah if it did go ahead the evens or bigger wouldn't be an option, it is far too restrictive. A large percentage of top football punters back solely on odds-on shots, if it does go ahead we have to accommodate all.
The thing is that if you allow anything between 1,01 and infinite it becomes a unit competition. That is a lot of work to manage. I do not think the evens price is so restrictive. You can increase value on any pick if you make use of a handicap. The challenge is to find a pick of value that you dare to back. You could also see it as a value competition to see who can extract value out of their favorit bet. If you allow everything and anyone it could potentially become a super big unmanageable unit competition. Then I agree with you, there is already something like that on the forum so why add another copy of what already exists? You might aswell then expand the tipster competition with leagues outside of the UK. I think if you want something new free of a lot of adminwork but with the prospect of becoming a very popular and valuable topic I think it would make sense to try this idea. Let's say you round up after a month just like with the horses, the person with the highest number of correct pick wins. To stimulate people to seek higher odds than evens you could make the person who has the most value ( total odds on winning picks/ total picks ) the award for most valuable contributor. So you have two side competitions, one wins the award for steadiest value contributes and the other one for the highest value contributes. You can maybe think of a small prize in the form of an Award next to their name or whatever is available. It would keep things really basic and simple but also there would be value, not a lot of admin work and the possibility for people to choose from their own expertise. Maybe some hidden talent can be discovered in this way that is not being made use of and we could all profit from the guy with the sharpest eye for value. I would prefer a high standard but you could lower it a bit to 1,70/1,80 minimum odd or so. Keeps things a little challenging before people start recommending Barca vs Almeria ( straight home win ) as their favorite play of the day.

Re: BBOTD Football Ziener, nothing might go ahead yet, it is up to Paul. :ok But I am telling you now that restricting people to odds of evens or above is not going to happen for a football competition. And trust me, all these competitions take a lot more admin work than you can imagine.

Ziener, nothing might go ahead yet, it is up to Paul. :ok But I am telling you now that restricting people to odds of evens or above is not going to happen for a football competition. And trust me, all these competitions take a lot more admin work than you can imagine.
Alright mate thanks for considering it :ok

The EWWC sounds like a great idea but it might involve a lot of monitoring and the format itself is quite complicated. Also with the previous format' date=' once you are out you are out. Anyone can have a few bad days and I think the people who were out of the competition just called it quits and lost interest.[/quote'] Agree. Though, there used to be two additional competitions to the one I described: KO Cup and Ryder's Cup; that lead to situations like this: