Aston Villa v Manchester United > Sunday December 15th

Aidymac

[TABLE=class: couponTable, width: 617] [TR=class: row0, bgcolor: #F0F0F0] [TD=class: firstColumn]Aston Villa v Manchester United (13:30 GMT)[/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd, align: center]5.6[/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd, align: center]3.9[/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd, align: center]1.8[/TD] [TD=class: bppWidth bpp, align: center]99.05 %[/TD] [/TR] [/TABLE]

Re: Aston Villa v Manchester United > Sunday December 15th Can't believe people will continue to back Man Ud. I've been making a tidy profit this season laying them as the bookies still price the odds on man Utd based on previous seasons results. It's been proven already that they aren't top 4 material anymore. It's very clear that Man Utd's league position is a good reflection of their squad potential and shows exactly where abouts they are in relation to the other teams above them. They are not good enough anymore to win these sort of games, and they certainly should not be favourites. Even if they play Rooney and van Persia, yes they will score, but I still think they will concede too. Villa are possibly a better away side, I would agree, but man Utd will surely try to dominate possession which will mean villa will still be able to play the counter attack and hit man Utd on the break. Everyone knows that man Utd are not what they were last season and teams will feel they have a good chance of beating them. Aston villa went 2-0 up against man Utd in this fixture last season and nearly beat them. Man Utd were on fire last season and managed to come back and win 2-3 in the end , but I see villa have improved since last season whereas man Utd have deteriorated..

Re: Aston Villa v Manchester United > Sunday December 15th

Oh wow since when did Man United had odds like 1.8 against teams like Aston Villa. It goes to show how much they have fallen and this reminds me of Liverpool.
Only difference is we're still a big club :D We'll know more after the CL game in midweek but one thing is for sure - Rooney will be back and oh how we missed him at the weekend - there was no one who linked our average midfield to the strikers - Villa almost as inconsistent as we are - result could be anything Gobby Rio let slip that he blames the fact that Moyes keeps the players in the dark about the lineup until the last minute for bad results - hate to say it but I agree with him - players have to be mentally as well as physically prepared for a game so Moyes needs to change this 1.8 could look huge - just depends which United turns up

Gobby Rio let slip that he blames the fact that Moyes keeps the players in the dark about the lineup until the last minute for bad results - hate to say it but I agree with him - players have to be mentally as well as physically prepared for a game so Moyes needs to change this
I agree completely, but god only knows how the Everton players coped :eek

Re: Aston Villa v Manchester United > Sunday December 15th I've had a couple of nice wins opposing United over the past two matches but have to say that this game looks like one to swerve. Villa are very inconsistent at the moment and the defence looks a lot worse without Vlaar in there. That coupled with Benteke looking out of sorts makes them an unreliable proposition. The problem is I don't think Man United can be backed here either - 1.8/9 looks about right to me. They know they need the win, but two big losses at home on the bounce can't be good for the confidence - Rooney is just about the only player in a United shirt who looks like he can turn a game. Carrick is a big miss in the middle of the park too... Going to be a very interesting match but one that I would prefer not to have any money riding on. Gun to my head I'd say a narrow United win.

Re: Aston Villa v Manchester United > Sunday December 15th there is a big contrast between these two teams. aston villa are young, motivated and counter attacking side but lack experience while man utd is old experienced team that is lacking confidence and motivation. they say oldie-goldie so who to back in this match is simply matter of preference. i think when rooney and van persie play man utd is twice as likely to win but the main problem man utd have is in creating something in midfield otherwise they are still solid albeit of few recent games that have gone against them. i think aston villa will attack them just because of the recent slump and knowing that teams have been able to win against them on current form which isn't impressive. i haven't made up my mind yet but going with away win seems obvious bet as i can't see man slipping to third consecutive defeat.

I agree completely' date=' but god only knows how the Everton players coped :eek[/quote'] I reckon there are two sides to this. The players like to know early, as they let their focus slip when they know they are not playing and just have a chilled out pay-without-play day. From the managers side, he would like to keep everyone ready for the fight, with the right mental state of mind. Looking at the upcoming game against Villa. People overreact. When things are bad, they are not as bad as one thinks. Similarly for when things are going great. It's not as good as you think. Man U are still a pretty good squad. They just need to get it right in the Jan transfer window. It's probably the most important transfer window they are approaching in 5 or 10 years. 3 key players. 1) A mountain of a central defender (oh they just bought one ready made in Fellani) 2) 2x A midfield general. Would like them to make a move for Benteke in January. Break the bank and splash the cash. $25 million is not outrageous today. Rooney and van Persie upfront. A midfield of Nani, Carrick, Benteke and Kagawa. Playing in front of Rafeal, Smalling, Fellani, and Evra (soon to be Baines) The thing that really struck me about United against Newcastle and Everton, is how they were unable to penetrate. There was no-one running at the defense, and causing them problems. United do not have a player in the Sammy Nasri, David Silva, Eden Hazard mold and that has to be addressed. Either you buy one , or you instruct Nani, Januzi, Kagawa to fufill that roll. I would love to see what Valencia could do, with his pace and size working as a striker, playing left of van Persie. If Thierry Henri can be converted from the wing to 1 of the most exciting players to ever grace the Premier league, why not try it with Valencia. What's the worst that happens ? it won't happen ....:D Villa are so Jeckle-and-hyde. Every week when someone opens the cage, a new animal emerges. Sometimes a lion, and other times a purring pussycat. Absolute licorice all-sorts from that team. They are consistently inconsistent, which makes them a bomb to bet on. Gotta be better opportunities than this game this weekend.

Re: Aston Villa v Manchester United > Sunday December 15th Neil, What on earth is that!???? Only part I agree with is United have no penetration from midfield but the rest is near 5b stuff... Fellaini has never played centre back in his life, Benteke has never played centre midfield in his life, sorry but that is one of the most mental statements I have ever heard. :unsure Also, if anyone was ever going to play off the striker it would be Nani, but that still would never happen. United need 3 players possibly 4 in my opinion, 2 centre midfielders, a left back & maybe a new winger! Won't happen in january because january is notoriously a terrible month to buy players, might get 1 of them 3 if they are very lucky.

Re: Aston Villa v Manchester United > Sunday December 15th You are wrong about Fellani. That's where he started at Standard Liege http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/articles/510854/20131002/manchester-united-marouane-fellaini-centre-half-david.htm But in an interview with FourFourTwo magazine, Fellaini revealed he has been previously utilised in a variety of positions across the pitch including in the back four, a position he would be open to picking up once again somewhere down the line. "As a young player I played up front, on the wing, in midfield and when I started in the reserves at Standard Liege I played centre back," Fellaini said. "It was a good position for me because I am tall and good in the air but I can also pass the ball. Maybe it is a position for me in the future?" Wenger was a genius is using Henri in a way no-one thought possible... converted winger to the best striker the premier league ever saw. Can you imagine Rooney and Benteke playing in the hole behind van Persie, and doing a little tracking back and covering. I think it would be an amazing spearhead.

Re: Aston Villa v Manchester United > Sunday December 15th He was a midfielder at Liege, he may have played reserves/youth games at centre back but he made his name as a midfielder, 100%, everyone knows that! There is some difference between playing a mickey mouse game for the reserves at centre half and playing centre back for Manchester United, it is not a position you can just hop into and know what to do. He can't even settle in a position he has played in his whole career for United, so I really doubt Moyes would be stupid enough to try him as a centre half. Benteke was brilliant last year as a lone front man with Weimann & Agbonlahor either side... The signing of Kozak and the partnership of them together up top has not suited Benteke, as proved in the WBA game when 2-0 down, he came alive when Kozak was taken off & he was allowed play up top on his own. P.S. It is Henry.

Neil, What on earth is that!???? Only part I agree with is United have no penetration from midfield but the rest is near 5b stuff... Fellaini has never played centre back in his life, Benteke has never played centre midfield in his life, sorry but that is one of the most mental statements I have ever heard. :unsure Also, if anyone was ever going to play off the striker it would be Nani, but that still would never happen. United need 3 players possibly 4 in my opinion, 2 centre midfielders, a left back & maybe a new winger! Won't happen in january because january is notoriously a terrible month to buy players, might get 1 of them 3 if they are very lucky.
2 central midfielders are the most needed additions right now. And then a new winger.

2 central midfielders are the most needed additions right now. And then a new winger.
100% spot on. Giggs/Cleverley/Jones playing centre mid at the moment, an absolute shambles. If I were Moyes I would do anything to get Gundogan to Old Trafford, he is a quality player with a bright future. It is a box to box midfielder we need, our centre midfielders haven't scored a goal between them this season yet. Look at Ramsey for Arsenal, Lampard still scoring for Chelsea, Yaya scoring for City, Gerrard for Liverpool, your doomed if you cannot get creativity from your midfielders and if we don't get it sorted sharpish we can forget about the champions league next season.

Man U are still a pretty good squad. They just need to get it right in the Jan transfer window.
As has been said many times before - you cannot get class players in January - they are all cup tied for the CL United are not going to spend £30M+ on a player if they can't use him in the CL and more than likely he'd be playing for a club still in the competition I can't think of ONE major signing for any of the CL clubs in January in the last few years - can anyone?

It will only be proven when they finish outside the top 4. I'm still backing them to finish inside the top 4. They have an easy run of games coming up to regain some momentum while those around them continue to splutter. They are definitely still top 4 material in my book. They will finish above Tottenham and Liverpool who are so inconsistent.
The quicker we realise that this year is going to be a struggle the better. No matter what we are going to do in the January window it will be a poor season. In our predicament we are not guaranteed CL football next year so who is going to come to OT. Big clubs have gone downhill before remember 1974 when we were a big club. We have played some easy games already and still could not gain momentum. If Tottenham and Liverpool are inconsistent what are we ? Maybe we should be looking at Liverpool for our first signing as all of the players can play in Europe, lets break the bank for Suarez as we are definitely going to have to sign big players for big money just like City and Chelsea.

Re: Aston Villa v Manchester United > Sunday December 15th WHy has this fixture turned into a Man Utd supporters forum.. ?? Man Utd are what they are, dreaming isnt going to make 1.80 more appealling. Its not January yet.. NO point speculating about Future signings, as they wont make a difference against VIlla this weekend. !!

As has been said many times before - you cannot get class players in January - they are all cup tied for the CL United are not going to spend £30M+ on a player if they can't use him in the CL and more than likely he'd be playing for a club still in the competition I can't think of ONE major signing for any of the CL clubs in January in the last few years - can anyone?
Balotelli? And now Milan does it again with Honda. Their transfer strategy is absolutely abysmal. Oh well, different topic. ManU still priced @1.77 (Ladbrokes). Does anyone have a strong case for value?

100% spot on. Giggs/Cleverley/Jones playing centre mid at the moment, an absolute shambles. If I were Moyes I would do anything to get Gundogan to Old Trafford, he is a quality player with a bright future. It is a box to box midfielder we need, our centre midfielders haven't scored a goal between them this season yet. Look at Ramsey for Arsenal, Lampard still scoring for Chelsea, Yaya scoring for City, Gerrard for Liverpool, your doomed if you cannot get creativity from your midfielders and if we don't get it sorted sharpish we can forget about the champions league next season.
Gündogan is simpley great. Great skills, great tacnical player, huge simply huge. Hard to get him to be honest. Think he will join Barca. Only asset United could offer is Kagawa in a deal involving also further cash for Gündogan. Draxler from Schalke would be great too but his buy-out clause is at 45 mio € so too much. But he plays a more offensive role than Gündogan.

Re: Aston Villa v Manchester United > Sunday December 15th One thing is for certain - Young will NOT be in the squad after his dismal showing the other night and today's revelations that he deliberately cheats Rio out too after showing he's lost his ability to make decisions (or rather found an ability to make stupid decisions and puts the team at risk) RVP rested again midweek so should start and we welcome the return of Vida at the back \0/ Jonesy to carry on in midfield after his immense performance against Shakhtar but I really hope Carrick is back soon - vital player IMO Rafa showed what we have missed at right back when Smalling was there and teamed up well with Adnan - I like Adnan on the right - on the left he gets forced towards the corner but on the right has the skill to cut inside and get in the box - no doubt he'll get kicked in the air a few times but the kid gets up and carries on - not like the muppets that roll around if you breathe on them (stand up Mr Suarez) Vlaar is a big miss for Villa and Benteke seems out of sorts since his injury (maybe rushed back too soon) - United should take advantage Normally goals in this fixture so going for Over 2.5 @1.91 Corals and Hills

Re: Aston Villa v Manchester United > Sunday December 15th Source OPTA Aston Villa v Manchester United · Aston Villa are the only team in the league this season to have not dropped any points from a match in which they have been leading. · Wayne Rooney has scored eight goals in his last 10 Barclays Premier League games against Villa, but they have all come in braces. · Aston Villa have won just one of their last 35 Barclays Premier League games against Manchester United (W1 D9 L25). · The Villans have won none of the last 17 Premier League games against United at Villa Park since their infamous win on the opening day of the 1995-96 season (L11 D6). · Wayne Rooney has netted 10 goals against Aston Villa, his joint-highest tally against any opponent in Premier League history. · No team has ever come back from 13 or more points adrift, having played the same number of games, to win the Premier League title. · Christian Benteke has now gone 10 hours and 40 minutes without scoring a Premier League goal. · Aston Villa have failed to score in three of their last four Premier League home games and six of their last nine overall in the competition. · Manchester United have kept just one clean sheet in their last 11 Premier League games. · If Man Utd lose this match it would be just the fourth time in the Premier League where have lost three in a row (Nov 1996, May 2001 & Dec 2001).

One thing is for certain - Young will NOT be in the squad after his dismal showing the other night and today's revelations that he deliberately cheats Rio out too after showing he's lost his ability to make decisions (or rather found an ability to make stupid decisions and puts the team at risk) RVP rested again midweek so should start and we welcome the return of Vida at the back \0/ Jonesy to carry on in midfield after his immense performance against Shakhtar but I really hope Carrick is back soon - vital player IMO Rafa showed what we have missed at right back when Smalling was there and teamed up well with Adnan - I like Adnan on the right - on the left he gets forced towards the corner but on the right has the skill to cut inside and get in the box - no doubt he'll get kicked in the air a few times but the kid gets up and carries on - not like the muppets that roll around if you breathe on them (stand up Mr Suarez) Vlaar is a big miss for Villa and Benteke seems out of sorts since his injury (maybe rushed back too soon) - United should take advantage Normally goals in this fixture so going for Over 2.5 @1.91 Corals and Hills
I totally agree with you. We should see goals in this one.

Re: Aston Villa v Manchester United > Sunday December 15th I mentioned somewhere (maybe here) that RVP is getting too many niggling injuries that need a long rest and he won't get that in the summer with the WC TBH I would sell him - he's not the player of last season because of these niggles and the alleged dispute with Moyes and the complaints about training means he'll almost certainly go in the summer Not sure if Chico will get a run anyway because a) I don't think Moyes fancies him that much and b) Rooney and Kags has looked a good partnership so expect those two to start on Sunday

Re: Aston Villa v Manchester United > Sunday December 15th I think with van Persie out, for a month (realistically nine games), United are in huge trouble. Fergie had an incredible philosophy last season of you score we score more away from home. If Villa shut Rooney down who is going to score for United ? A healthy team is when the goals are coming from everywhere. SO United (van Persie and Rooney, and Liverpool) find themselves in a slightly unhealthy position. Shut down Rooney and Suarez and the goals will dry up. Can't see United opening the floodgates here. Teams are also getting smarter. They know United are under massive pressure. Keep it tight for 45 minutes and let them stew. This United team does not have the skill to really threaten and break down opponents who are playing in this way. Will leave it alone, but maybe have a last minute punt, when I know what lineup Moyes sets up.