Manchester United v Southampton > Saturday October 19th

[TABLE=class: couponTable, width: 617] [TR=class: row0, bgcolor: #F0F0F0] [TD=class: firstColumn]Manchester United v Southampton (15:00 BST)[/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd, align: center]1.57[/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd, align: center]4.4[/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd, align: center]7.5[/TD] [TD=class: bppWidth bpp, align: center]99.70 % [/TD] [/TR] [/TABLE]

• 2 weeks later...

Re: Manchester United v Southampton > Saturday October 19th United too short for my liking at $1.53. How much of an effect will the world cup qualifier have on them? Three days is not a long time to back up even if they're not travelling. You'd imagine they'd ceelbrate hard also upon qualifying. Even quality like Rooney, Wellbeck and Carrick aernt imune from the taxing schedule and Van Persie is under an injury cloud. I don't think they'll necesarily get done but a South Hampton handicap is reasonable value. This is a typical danger game for United although knowing my luck i'll end up picking the wrong game for the chance upset. Southampton +1.0 @ $2.40 sportsbet

Re: Manchester United v Southampton > Saturday October 19th Southampton in cracking form winning their last three - international break will certainly affect United more as they have more players involved in the WC qualifiers Southampton played very well at OT last year and IMO have a much better team this year - still a question mark over United's form too - even after the win at Sunderland - will Moysie be tempted to start Adnan again or will he go with the inept Young as he hasn't played for about 3 weeks so will be fresh (apart from traveling too and from the England bench) Wouldn't be tempted to have a bet until there is some team news - especially involving RVP (scoring a hat-trick while apparently crocked will boost his confidence) Centre half will be an interesting pick - Rio apparently out \0/ and Evans not certain to start - IMO whoever doesn't play tonight between Jones and Smalling at right back will partner Vida Rooney nailed on to start with his lucky helmet but Chico and Valencia rested (and maybe out of the squad altogether) after their exertions in two WC games plus all that traveling - Fellaini may start after playing for Belgium with his dodgy wrist (waits for the obvious jokes :D )but more likely on the bench Moyes not stupid enough to take this game lightly so the strongest lineup possible IMO Danger for United is if Southampton score first - they have shown they can defend and I feel the crowd will get on the United players' backs if things go tits up early on :( Expect the United "winning streak" to continue though but it won't be easy

Re: Manchester United v Southampton > Saturday October 19th Goals seems the way to go.Can see both team scoring.United can concede at any time looking at them the last weeks but they still have the class to score. BTTS @1,80 or Over 2.5 @1.75 are good prices i guess for a match like this.

Re: Manchester United v Southampton > Saturday October 19th Home clean sheet looks big. United are struggling so I feel Moyes will go back to basics here and try to make it a tight game to try and avoid back to back home league defeats. Expect hard working players such as Young/Valencia ahead of Nani/Kagawa to make it a battle out there. Saints, with an admirable defensive record, have still only scored twice on the road (set pieces) so not exactly potent. Was strongly considering under 2.5 as I think Moyes will try not to lose and rely on RvP and Rooney to nick it but with those two on the pitch, anything is possible so have stayed away from the goal line. The books are showing a slight overreaction to United's struggles and Saint's good start in my opinion and I would have the home clean sheet at 2.20ish. Home clean sheet 2.60

Re: Manchester United v Southampton > Saturday October 19th

Goals seems the way to go.Can see both team scoring.United can concede at any time looking at them the last weeks but they still have the class to score. BTTS @1,80 or Over 2.5 @1.75 are good prices i guess for a match like this.
I am not crazy about the over 2.5 goals in this game. Saints have played 3 away and have had 1 goal in all three games. I think that their 1-0 win over Liverpool will encourage them to keep playing a particular AWAY style. I really think that you have to see team news here , before making a betting decision. Moyes has so many options. The squad is quality , but only 11 can play. He could get it right, or get the combination's off key. United look a little narrow. Width on the left is being provided by Evra, while the right side is just not firing. In addition , next week (wed) is champions league game against Sociedad. If they are winning 2-0 , there is a chance they take guys off and consolidate, rather than looking for a third goal. Gotta wait and see the lineup here.

Re: Manchester United v Southampton > Saturday October 19th Man Utd are 4/7 to win with Bet365 which aint to bad. I found all of the latest odds on www.oddschecker.com This could be a very tight game with just a goal or two as Southampton have a great defence so can't see to many goals being scored although I think Man Utd could just nick it but aint 100% confident.

Re: Manchester United v Southampton > Saturday October 19th I think the draw 3/1 betfair looks good. Man United struggling and Southampton in good form. Man U might try to play a very tight game as Moyes won't want to get beat or it's game over for him. Also Southampton have started the season well defensively. A low scoring game is on the cards 1-1 or 0-0 imo. I can't imagine this to be a goal fest like others have suggested, football can always be surprising I guess!

Re: Manchester United v Southampton > Saturday October 19th I don`t think that United are going to lose two in a row at home. They didn`t have best of the times in their last game against Sunderland but their second half performance was really a joy to be hold. It is Moyes` job to motivate the team and he had done it very well at the half time. It is expected Rio Ferdinand to get back at the defence so United should be more stable. Also United have 8 wins in a row against Southampton. On the other side Southampton recorded 3 victories in a row but what can I say. Arthur Boruc definately is on fire keeping 5 clean sheets in the last 7 games. According to me they need to step up their game. Yes they get these wins but it is obvious that they don`t have the class. Liverpool`s miss of Coutinho and Suarez lead to lack of scoring opportunities(Last season Liverpool didn`t won a lot of points at home against weaker teams). Against Swansea Saints took the home advantage and scored an early goal then Arthur saved 3x100% goals. Swansea have been the better team and didn`t deserve to lose by 2. So this game is going to be a home [email protected]

OK, here's the thing.......if this game had been played three weeks ago (prior to Man Utd losing at home to WBA), I'd have been much more confident backing Saints to get the win at Old Trafford. As it stands I feel the element of surprise has gone and Moyes and Utd will adopt a 'do not lose at any cost' attitude. Don't get me wrong though...I definitely feel this Saints team are more than capable of getting a result on Saturday. In the corresponding fixture last season, Saints dominated Man Utd at Old Trafford for long periods with Sir Alex Ferguson hailing their performance as 'the best from a visiting team all season'. Despite Saints efforts, Man Utd narrowly held on for a 2-1 win. Saints have obviously heavily improved since last season and, early signs are that Man Utd have slipped back. I can certainly see Southampton scoring first and frustrating the home team until the closing minutes. I suspect though that both teams may ultimately settle for a draw with Utd getting their customary late penalty. I'm taking Osvaldo, who played well and scored for Italy midweek, to score the first goal with Betfred at 10/1.
Good luck with your bet Bilko, should be an interesting match. Another poster mentioned that Moyes will go out with a "Must Not Lose" attitude. No offence but it is at Old Trafford against Southampton, not Real Madrid at the Bernabau. There is pressure on Moyes, but regardless of what happens this season his job is safe. They are going to stick by him just like they did with Ferguson, I am sure the board do not expect much this season considering the greatest manager of all time just stood down. I also think Robin Van Persie has really struggled with his form so far this season for his club, which also is not helping matters.

It is expected Rio Ferdinand to get back at the defence so United should be more stable
LOL - Rio has been a passenger in pretty much every game this season Hopefully Moysie will have the nuts to start Adnan again - kid has had a nice rest because he's not been involved in the internationals plus the boy is flowing with confidence - a great man manager would not hesitate to start him but judging by his comment this week that "no one starts every game" I'm worried he'll be on the bench :( Going to be tight - Under 2.5 goals 1-0 to United who should be strong enough to see off Saints :) .... and some GREAT news :) http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11667/8979476/adnan-januzaj-signs-five-year-contract-with-manchester-united United: De Gea, Rafael, Jones, Evans, Evra, Nani, Carrick, Fellaini, Januzaj, Rooney, van Persie. Subs: Lindegaard, Giggs, Smalling, Hernandez, Welbeck, Kagawa, Zaha. Southampton: Boruc, Clyne, Lovren, Fonte, Shaw, Schneiderlin, Davis, Wanyama, Lallana, Rodriguez, Osvaldo.

Re: Manchester United v Southampton > Saturday October 19th Saw a lot of positives today - Adnan played well despite being kicked for 90 minutes - whole back four did pretty well too restricting them to long shots apart from the goal (Llalana obstructed Shaggy IMO) - Fellaini did OK and Rooney ran his heart out RVP looked isolated again - great pass from Adnan though to set up Rooney and then RVP got the rebound - also thought Nani was average although he did set up Rooney for that shot against the bar and RVP for a right foot shot Disappointed Wilf didn't come on - especially as Welbeck limped through the 2nd half of the England game - Bringing Smalling on to defend only invited pressure that paid off for Saints TBH we had more than enough chances to finish it and paid the penalty Always look forward - Sociedad on Wednesday :)

Re: Manchester United v Southampton > Saturday October 19th It's a difficult situation for Utd, the defensive problems are killing them, Moyes doesn't know who to play at centre back. Ferdinand should be the lynchpin at the back considering Vidic's problems with injures but his form is so bad at the minute he can't really be considered for selection, lead to situations like today when you have Evans and Jones in there, more by default than anything. United traditionally struggle in the early part of the season but I don't think supporters will have the same confidence in Moyes bringing a surge in the second half of the season like Fergie did. This is hypothetical of course but IF United didn't make the top 4 - I'm sure they will - do you think Moyes would get a second season considering the financial implications of such a thing happening? That was aimed at Aidy and bazz.

Re: Manchester United v Southampton > Saturday October 19th Moyes will stay no matter what will happen. The board wants some new signings in January and hopefully they make it. Please no Ferdinand, lookd poor in all matches so far. Better to play 2 out of the 3 Jones, Smalling and Evans if Vida is not on the pitch. And get rid off Anderson, Fletcher, Young, Büttner and Fabio.

Re: Manchester United v Southampton > Saturday October 19th @HastGill1 Yes - financial implications but as long as SAF is there Moyes will be backed - TBH we're doing extremely well on the corporate front with all the new sponsorship so failure to qualify for the CL will not have the same impact as it would for other clubs and would have less of an effect than it would have done 2 or 3 years ago When you see the talent coming through you have to feel positive - we need an experienced centre half but TBH we have the likes of Tunnicliffe (future United captain IMO), Lingard, Powell, Petrucci and Pereira so the depth in midfield looks solid once these guys have spent this season in the Championship and next for a lower half Premier side (look how the likes of Evans, Cleverley and Welbeck improved) We do need to get rid of Anderson, Young, Macheda, Rio and maybe Fabio and Fletch (shame but will never be the player he was) Getting bored with the plastics who only see the first team results and slag off the boss - take a look at what the U21s and Academy are achieving :) United has always brought through youth since before The Babes - they will continue to produce the best young players in England - I looked through the Premier squads last season and there were well over 20 "rejects" who have moved on and playing regularly for other teams - we must be doing something right :) IMO there is no need to spend 40-50 million on a player - when you look at some of the mugs City and Chelsea has spent big on in the past and the relative success they have had then obviously you have to think if it's really worth the big fees and even bigger wages when United have built from the kids and have had equal if not more success Give Moysie a chance - it's a massive learning curve for him and his staff (would have been easier if he'd retained Rene and Mick) but it was his decision because he's the BOSS No doubt in my mind he'll be a success - he's had the British media on his back from the start - there is no need for the fans to put him under pressure too - if they can't see that then they should bugger off and support a team that buys titles! "Get behind your new manager" - Sir Alex Ferguson Who in their right mind would disobey him? :D LOL - this was supposed to be a short reply :lol

Saw a lot of positives today - Adnan played well despite being kicked for 90 minutes - whole back four did pretty well too restricting them to long shots apart from the goal (Llalana obstructed Shaggy IMO) - Fellaini did OK and Rooney ran his heart out RVP looked isolated again - great pass from Adnan though to set up Rooney and then RVP got the rebound - also thought Nani was average although he did set up Rooney for that shot against the bar and RVP for a right foot shot Disappointed Wilf didn't come on - especially as Welbeck limped through the 2nd half of the England game - Bringing Smalling on to defend only invited pressure that paid off for Saints TBH we had more than enough chances to finish it and paid the penalty Always look forward - Sociedad on Wednesday :)
Positives? :$ Southampton had 54% possession and 18 shots to our 12, at Old Trafford. I don't see a solitary positive from that perfomance. Couldn't hold the ball, and clearly did not defend too well to let a soft late goal in like that.

@HastGill1 Yes - financial implications but as long as SAF is there Moyes will be backed - TBH we're doing extremely well on the corporate front with all the new sponsorship so failure to qualify for the CL will not have the same impact as it would for other clubs and would have less of an effect than it would have done 2 or 3 years ago When you see the talent coming through you have to feel positive - we need an experienced centre half but TBH we have the likes of Tunnicliffe (future United captain IMO), Lingard, Powell, Petrucci and Pereira so the depth in midfield looks solid once these guys have spent this season in the Championship and next for a lower half Premier side (look how the likes of Evans, Cleverley and Welbeck improved) We do need to get rid of Anderson, Young, Macheda, Rio and maybe Fabio and Fletch (shame but will never be the player he was) Getting bored with the plastics who only see the first team results and slag off the boss - take a look at what the U21s and Academy are achieving :) United has always brought through youth since before The Babes - they will continue to produce the best young players in England - I looked through the Premier squads last season and there were well over 20 "rejects" who have moved on and playing regularly for other teams - we must be doing something right :) IMO there is no need to spend 40-50 million on a player - when you look at some of the mugs City and Chelsea has spent big on in the past and the relative success they have had then obviously you have to think if it's really worth the big fees and even bigger wages when United have built from the kids and have had equal if not more success Give Moysie a chance - it's a massive learning curve for him and his staff (would have been easier if he'd retained Rene and Mick) but it was his decision because he's the BOSS No doubt in my mind he'll be a success - he's had the British media on his back from the start - there is no need for the fans to put him under pressure too - if they can't see that then they should bugger off and support a team that buys titles! "Get behind your new manager" - Sir Alex Ferguson Who in their right mind would disobey him? :D LOL - this was supposed to be a short reply :lol
To be fair, United bought Van Persie and he won United the title last season. So in effect, United bought the title... Just like he did with Ronaldo. You don't win title's without investing. As for getting behind Moyes, he makes that difficult with some of the decisions he makes. I don't think you will be behind him in 2 years time when the trophies have dried up.

Re: Manchester United v Southampton > Saturday October 19th I think Moyes needs to make a decision now about Rio and Vidic and play 2 of Evans/Jones/Smalling and stick with them for the season. It would be an experience and it would give them time to gel together.

United has always brought through youth since before The Babes - they will continue to produce the best young players in England - I looked through the Premier squads last season and there were well over 20 "rejects" who have moved on and playing regularly for other teams - we must be doing something right
Looking at the starting eleven today we had no player that came through the ranks so I have to agree with you that we will continue to produce the best young players, but for other clubs. You only have to look at Juventus and Paul Pogba what we would do to have him now. Aidymac is right you have to invest these days to win the title as this business is too big to get left behind.

I think Moyes needs to make a decision now about Rio and Vidic and play 2 of Evans/Jones/Smalling and stick with them for the season. It would be an experience and it would give them time to gel together. Looking at the starting eleven today we had no player that came through the ranks so I have to agree with you that we will continue to produce the best young players, but for other clubs. You only have to look at Juventus and Paul Pogba what we would do to have him now. Aidymac is right you have to invest these days to win the title as this business is too big to get left behind.
You 'produced' Pogba!? :lol Guy was 16 when he joined, nicked him off Le Havre by buying him a house and giving him 100k!

To be fair, United bought Van Persie and he won United the title last season. So in effect, United bought the title... Just like he did with Ronaldo.
RVP cost about £21M - bargain TBH compared to the £50M Chelski paid for Flopando Torres - Ronaldo was a 16 year old kid that no one had heard of and it took him 5 or 6 years to become the player we sold for £80M - what I meant was we splash out on a big player (over £20M) every 2 or 3 years and not spend £100M+ in a transfer window Yes, RVP was the difference between winning and losing the title last year - I admit that but to say we bought the title for £21M is ridiculous
Looking at the starting eleven today we had no player that came through the ranks
Rafa came to the club when he was 15 - same with Adnan - both started - we also have Welbeck, Cleverley and Evans who came from the youth team - even Sir Ryan Giggs came from the youth team although most are not old enough to remember :D
I don't think you will be behind him in 2 years time when the trophies have dried up.
I'll still be supporting the club whether we win trophies or not and whoever is in charge We have been blessed with the last 20 years and have won more than any other club in a 20 year span - I remember when we were REALLY shite It's not like we're relegation candidates :D I still have faith that we'll finish top 4 :ok

Re: Manchester United v Southampton > Saturday October 19th Rafa was bought from Fluminese and joined United in 2008 aged 17. Adnan was also bought from Anderlecht at 16. Cleverley and Evans - I don't think any of the other so called top 4 teams would be running out to sign them. So really we have not produced much since Fergies Fledglings.