** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** ELO Ratings are now back **

Shakhtar Donetsk v Manchester United - Wednesday October 2nd

Aidymac

Re: Shakhtar Donetsk v Manchester United - Wednesday October 2nd

Hernandez is more clinical !!! Welbeck misses lots of opportunities...
Hernandez is the perfect impact sub.. When your away from home you have to make sure your defensively sound first and foremost. And Welbeck has improved in the scoring department to be fair to him. I rate Hernandez highly, but for this match Moyes made the right call, then if United go 1-0 down you can bring on Chico

Re: Shakhtar Donetsk v Manchester United - Wednesday October 2nd You really can't compare Welbeck and Chico because they are totally different players that give different things to the team It's very clear that Welbeck is not a striker (although his finishing has improved) - he is there to use his incredible workrate to press the defence into making mistakes Chico is a great poacher and his movement almost makes him invisible at times (like against Liverpool) - he's not there to chase the ball like Welbeck - just to finish when he gets it Never known any United fan to agree on the best linup ... and if they do it's for different reasons :D

Shakhtar have lost quite a few players that were the foundation for their exciting attacking play over the past 5 years - Fernandinho, Mkhitaryan and Willian but have preserved their attacking contingent of Brazilians by buying Fred, Bernard, Fernando and Wellington for about £50m. Although I haven't watched them as much as I used to, they haven't lost a home match in the league for a couple of years now although their results at home in the CL have been less than spectacular. They enjoyed a good result on matchday 1 though with a 2-0 victory away to Sociedad, from what I've seen it was very much a smash and grab victory with Sociedad dominating for long periods but struggling to create clear chances. Luiz Adriano didn't play at the weekend, I can't find out if he was rested or injured currently as team news isn't available. Shakhtar will operate with a flat back 4 with only Srna attacking from full back, Shevchuk won't go forward much on the other flank. Hubschman and Fernando will sit in front of the back 4 and the front 4 will probably be Alex Teixeira, Douglas Costa, Taison and Luiz Adriano. I'm not sure if they are currently as strong as previous seasons but they are generally pretty strong at home and with United seemingly losing form and respect by the day will certainly fancy their chances. United have been a disaster so far this season, Ferdinand looks to have aged about 10 years over the summer and is nowhere near the required standard, Vidic coming back in should help strengthen the defence. RVP will start and with Rooney appears to be the only area where United are strong, all the wingers are woefully out of form and have been for ages - don't think anyone will disagree with that. I expect Moyes will be quite defensive and try and hurt them on the counter as they certainly are vulnerable in defence. I don't think United will be looking forward to this game as it has disaster written all over it as far as they are concerned, they look very dodgy at the back and won't get top 2 unless they improve there, perhaps Ferdinand will be dropped as the thought of him against the very fast Brazilians must be a worry to Moyes. It might suit United to be on the ropes and come into this game as outsiders, Shakhtar's price has dropped quite a lot, I will take Shakhtar with draw cover as although I can't see United winning a draw is certainly possible. It would be a surprise to see either team to keep a clean sheet too so I will have a small play on a Shakhtar win and both teams to score. Shakhtar DNB - 1.8 - hills - 10 Points VOID Both Teams to Score and Shakhtar Win - 4.8 - hills - 1 Point LOST
Only watched after United scored but they didn't look vaguely interested in going forward to me, Shakhtar aren't as fluid going forward as they were but did enough to earn the draw United will be happy with a point by the looks of it.

Re: Shakhtar Donetsk v Manchester United - Wednesday October 2nd Ok , so United got a point and they will think well done. But from an attacking point of view it was a horrid display. WHen last did you see a united team create so little. 2 shots at goal in 90 minutes . ffs what is that !!! It's as if Moyes lack of confidence is rubbing off on the players. It thought Fellani had another stinker of a game. He was off the pace, and looked lost. Must have lost the ball 8 times. United's midfield looked stale and very uncreative. Valencia is just so one footed and never took his defender on the entire game. The left side as an attacking avenue produced zero. My feeling was that Chris Smalling struggled. Just does not look up to it for me, so why not play Jones there instead ? Everything just looked so labored and slow and methodical and dull and slow (er I mentioned that already) On a positive note I thought Welbeck and Cleverly worked their socks off and were outstanding. Workrate and effort was excellent.

Re: Shakhtar Donetsk v Manchester United - Wednesday October 2nd Considering the set up of the team, it was defensive and a point is a very good result. A point in the Ukraine is always a good result. It is going to take Moyes time.

Doesn't get you goals though does it.....
Welbeck scored tonight. Rooney tracks back and scores goals. Tevez tracks back and scores goals. Drogba tracks back and scores goals.