** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Shakhtar Donetsk v Manchester United - Wednesday October 2nd

Aidymac

• 2 weeks later...

Re: Shakhtar Donetsk v Manchester United - Wednesday October 2nd the man utd team of this season is unrecognisable. I don't know where to start. they have lost the cutting edge and competitive spirit of past years. every time I watch them they lack motivation and knowhow. I just cannot see them winning this match. shakhtar hold more value. any thoughts?

Re: Shakhtar Donetsk v Manchester United - Wednesday October 2nd After watching Man.United against WBA I simply can't see them winning this one and won't be surprised if they lose. The safest option here in my opinion is goals, so Over 2.5 Goals @ 1.90 (with most bookies) looks like a best option here.

Re: Shakhtar Donetsk v Manchester United - Wednesday October 2nd The real worry is that teams seem to be able to run right through our middle at will - no one tackles- no one presses I always look at the positives when it comes to United (I started supporting them in 1973 when we were REALLY dire) but am finding less by the game Football (as does all sport) goes in cycles - maybe Fergie could see the decline before the rest of us and got out at the top even though he desperately wanted another CL How can a team that won the title so easily be so poor with the same squad (even strengthened by Fellaini and Adnan)? City were outstanding but we lost to Liverpool who defended for 86 minutes and WBA ran through us with ease - Chelsea came for a draw and got it without even playing with a striker - on tour we got defeats and draws against teams that would struggle in a pub league The muppet glory hunters on the forums are calling for Moyes' head already - It's not him - it's the players and ironically the one person who wanted to leave has been our best player by a mile So - on to this game - poor form, poor morale and a very long trip to the Ukraine means ONE thing only - a home win :( Moyes HAS to go with the strongest starting XI he can get because qualification is vital - I'm assuming Vida was rested for this game - Rafa should play - Rio has to be dropped but will he be? - if he misses the game it will be to rest him for the next league game (shades of Gary Neville going on a bit too long and looking like a mug IMO) Rooney looked exhausted yesterday but he has to play alongside RVP - would love to see Adnan start - been so much better than Valencia or Young but unfortunately I think they will both start - I fear we'll go there and be happy with a draw - that's NOT the United way :( I'll be United till the day I die and hopefully that will involve a last minute winner in a CL final - reckon I'll live a while longer than this season :D

Re: Shakhtar Donetsk v Manchester United - Wednesday October 2nd Shakhtar have lost quite a few players that were the foundation for their exciting attacking play over the past 5 years - Fernandinho, Mkhitaryan and Willian but have preserved their attacking contingent of Brazilians by buying Fred, Bernard, Fernando and Wellington for about £50m. Although I haven't watched them as much as I used to, they haven't lost a home match in the league for a couple of years now although their results at home in the CL have been less than spectacular. They enjoyed a good result on matchday 1 though with a 2-0 victory away to Sociedad, from what I've seen it was very much a smash and grab victory with Sociedad dominating for long periods but struggling to create clear chances. Luiz Adriano didn't play at the weekend, I can't find out if he was rested or injured currently as team news isn't available. Shakhtar will operate with a flat back 4 with only Srna attacking from full back, Shevchuk won't go forward much on the other flank. Hubschman and Fernando will sit in front of the back 4 and the front 4 will probably be Alex Teixeira, Douglas Costa, Taison and Luiz Adriano. I'm not sure if they are currently as strong as previous seasons but they are generally pretty strong at home and with United seemingly losing form and respect by the day will certainly fancy their chances. United have been a disaster so far this season, Ferdinand looks to have aged about 10 years over the summer and is nowhere near the required standard, Vidic coming back in should help strengthen the defence. RVP will start and with Rooney appears to be the only area where United are strong, all the wingers are woefully out of form and have been for ages - don't think anyone will disagree with that. I expect Moyes will be quite defensive and try and hurt them on the counter as they certainly are vulnerable in defence. I don't think United will be looking forward to this game as it has disaster written all over it as far as they are concerned, they look very dodgy at the back and won't get top 2 unless they improve there, perhaps Ferdinand will be dropped as the thought of him against the very fast Brazilians must be a worry to Moyes. It might suit United to be on the ropes and come into this game as outsiders, Shakhtar's price has dropped quite a lot, I will take Shakhtar with draw cover as although I can't see United winning a draw is certainly possible. It would be a surprise to see either team to keep a clean sheet too so I will have a small play on a Shakhtar win and both teams to score. Shakhtar DNB - 1.8 - hills - 10 Points Both Teams to Score and Shakhtar Win - 4.8 - hills - 1 Point

Re: Shakhtar Donetsk v Manchester United - Wednesday October 2nd Nice post HastGill1, I will just add some statistical info from uefa.com: "Shakhtar have won all three previous UEFA Champions League fixtures against English visitors to Donetsk, with earlier successes against Arsenal FC in the 2000/01 first group stage (3-0) and 2010/11 group stage (2-1). Overall their home record against Premier League sides is W4 D1 L0"

Re: Shakhtar Donetsk v Manchester United - Wednesday October 2nd Shakhtar this year is weak.Curently 3d in the league with same points as Chernomorets.they do miss Rats at he back,they sold good Attacking players and replaced them with other young brazilians but it will take them a while to get used to each other.I think both of the teams are in downhill this season,not just united.Shakhtar's defence is shocking to say at best and if United can control center and isolate Shakhtar's strikers they can win a game.United is under pressure lately and i think they will response back.Can't see united loosing this one.draw is most likely outcome here. For me Man.United +0.5AH @1.6 is a gift

Re: Shakhtar Donetsk v Manchester United - Wednesday October 2nd 5pts Both teams to score 1.70 BetVictor This would be a tough assignment for Man Utd whatever their form was going into the match and it remains that here but with van Persie back in their ranks United should carry a real goal threat themselves. Both sides are prone to conceding so this looks a good match to attack the both teams to score market. The outcome is tricky to call as far as the match result stands but however it ends I expect both to score. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/shakhtar-donetsk-vs-man-utd-betting-two-attacking-sides-can-both-find-the-back-of-the-net-at-the-donbass

Re: Shakhtar Donetsk v Manchester United - Wednesday October 2nd I'm reading that Van Persie is back in the squad, but is he also going to play from the start? That could change things a little bit, although I don't see Shaktar losing at home. Like most people already stated, United is really playing weak at the moment and traveling to Donetsk will not be easy. Shaktar rarely lose at home. Despite the fact that they lost a couple of good players over the year, they always buy a bus full of talented young players. Especially from South-America. If Van Persie is in the starting line-up I would go for Shaktar DNB, if he isn't in the starting line-up I will go for a regular shaktar victory.

Re: Shakhtar Donetsk v Manchester United - Wednesday October 2nd i think over 2.5 @1.90 is not so bad price here, shaktar will definitely push for a win here, they know well, that they will have to beat at home either bayer or either man u to get trough this group, see neither team keeping clean sheet, man u will come defensive here, but their back 4 isn`t their strength this season, man u doesn`t hold a ball or control midfield either anymore, they try to attack with fast transition from back to front with two , three passes , what`s speeds up a game. taking that man u are away and shaktar plays very attractive, creating football , i see something similar here with swansea - man u game, goal and chance wise not win and strength wise.

Re: Shakhtar Donetsk v Manchester United - Wednesday October 2nd Shakhtar have lost a lot of talent of the last few years and have a terrible defence. They currently lie 3rd in their league. Despite Man United's terrible start to the campaign I believe they will come out of this game victorious. They have a lot to prove tonight and they pressure is mounting. It's time for the team to turn this bad run around. Also Shakhtar have on won 2 of their last 8 games at the Donbass arena in the Champ's league. United 9/4 to win 2points RVP 1st goalscorer 5/1 WILLHILL looks a good bet also as he will relish the chances to get his team back on top. 1 point Rooney to score and United to win 4/1 also looks quite tempting with money back if Rooney does not start. Yes he looks exhausted last game and plays better when RVP is absent but Rooney very rarely disappoints. 1 point WILLHILL.

Re: Shakhtar Donetsk v Manchester United - Wednesday October 2nd Let's hope United start a lot better than our U19s Goal down in 3 minutes, hard man midfielder booked for taking a free kick too quickly :eek and hoofed one off the line on 7 :( Hopefully things will turn round - pretty attacking lineup with the next big thing Andreas Perreira in great form at the moment :ok

Re: Shakhtar Donetsk v Manchester United - Wednesday October 2nd

After watching Man.United against WBA I simply can't see them winning this one and won't be surprised if they lose. The safest option here in my opinion is goals' date=' so Over 2.5 Goals @ 1.90 (with most bookies) looks like a best option here.[/quote'] Totally agree here! Infact if United start with Ferdinand and Evans, as they did on Saturday, then Over 3.5 on the exchanges at around 3.4 will be my bet. Be surprised if Moyes goes with that sluggish pair tho, so will wait for the teams. Shaktar are unbeaten at home this season (won 5 drawn 1) and have a great record against English sides in the CL. That 7/4 is really tempting....but surely there must be some backlash from recent performances from United...and this, coupled with RVP starting, makes me believe the overs is the better bet. I really think Mustafa's bet should be a "shoe-in!"

Totally agree here! Infact if United start with Ferdinand and Evans, as they did on Saturday, then Over 3.5 on the exchanges at around 3.4 will be my bet. Be surprised if Moyes goes with that sluggish pair tho, so will wait for the teams.
Vida was rested at the weekend so will return - Rafa back too after making his comeback v Liverpool - he'll give us a more attacking edge on the right - Evra will return too - hopefully he' defend a bit better than against City and not get caught on the halfway line so many times - other CB? - I'd drop Rio (past it IMO) , Smalling maybe not good enough to face Shakhtar away - Evans just back from injury so maybe won't play three in a row - my choice would be Jonesy to partner Vida - proper defender IMO - Obviously Shaggy in goal - been one of our best players this season (not difficult :() - getting stronger and more confident dealing with high balls all the time and probably one of the best shot stoppers in Europe Midfield will be experienced - Valencia, Carrick, Fellaini (needs more games to find his feet) and Nani (please NOT Young) Up front RVP with Rooney in the hole or Rooney/Kagawa if RVP is on the bench (may need him to start against the mighty Mackems :D) What I do want is Wilf on the bench - kid is raw but needs experiences like this - can come on and blow away tired defenders on the break and can make a massive difference if it's still level after 80 :)

Re: Shakhtar Donetsk v Manchester United - Wednesday October 2nd If Ferguson was in charge of this United side they would be even money or 11/10 for this match. There is serious value at 9/4, the only reason United lost to West Brom was the team selection. If Moyes puts out the best available 11 tonight, United will win this match.

If Ferguson was in charge of this United side they would be even money or 11/10 for this match. There is serious value at 9/4, the only reason United lost to West Brom was the team selection. If Moyes puts out the best available 11 tonight, United will win this match.
Agree with that but Moyes lacks CL experience and that is pretty much why there is a big difference even though it's the same players Great value but can they deliver? Hope so :)

If Ferguson was in charge of this United side they would be even money or 11/10 for this match. There is serious value at 9/4, the only reason United lost to West Brom was the team selection. If Moyes puts out the best available 11 tonight, United will win this match.
Think you're right especially after the big pressure coming from the media. Hopefully: de Gea-Rafael, Vidic, Jones, Evra-Valencia,Carrick, Fellaini, Nani- Rooney and van Persie

Re: Shakhtar Donetsk v Manchester United - Wednesday October 2nd What do people think of Aguero to score anytime at 3.5 on SkyBet? He's scored two against United last week and got into the habit of scoring against big sides last season with goals against Real, Tottenham, Liverpool, Chelsea and United again. I can see goals in this game with the way City have been playing recently so Aguero might be a good shout. Would be interested on people's thoughts on Robben and Ribery anytime as well as Bayern's wingers usually take a lot of shots. Ribery is at 4 on Betfred and has scored a good few goals this season while Robben is at 3.75 on Skybet and had a great goalscoring record in the CL last season.

Re: Shakhtar Donetsk v Manchester United - Wednesday October 2nd I was thinking to back Manchester in this match, but after reviewing the home stats of Shakhtar Donetsk, I've lost all confidence I had. From the start of 2012 year, Shakhtar Donetsk didn't score in just one (against Juve, roughly a year ago) in all competitions. Since they've been playing Champions League for some time now I find this fact very interesting. As Manchester United has jumped on some form rollercoaster, I think home side will find the back of the net for sure, once at least. Their squad is fit and ready for this match, no doubt that Mircea Lucescu knows what he is doing and that he will give one hell of a game at Donbass Arena tonight. Manchester United, as I mentioned before, has some problems this season. One good, one bad game; one awesome, one terrible... etc. They just can't seem to keep the pace running. David Moyes is still learning what can he expect from his players. They performed well in their first match of the Champions League as they have beat Bayer 04 Leverkusen 4:2, but that two conceded goals bring a share of concern as I think they won't be able to stop goal-hungry Shakhtar Donetsk. BTS @ 1.67 with b365

Re: Shakhtar Donetsk v Manchester United - Wednesday October 2nd I have a funny feeling that United bounce back with a very good display. This is a solid squad, maybe not playing so well, but you don't become bad players overnight. These guys are used to winning , so losing burns them as well. They will all be fired up. They know that past reputations mean little, and Moyes will be evaluating them game-by-game. Perhaps the 'we are not good enough' was a little reverse psychology .... Moyes is no fool, but what hurt him the most in the new job was his commitment to Everton. It did not give him enough chance to get things settled in smoothly. Resulted in bad transfer window, and not being up to speed with recognition of his core 15 players, and how they need to be setup and played. Whoever gets picked, has a huge chance to make a starting position his for the season. Most slots, except for De Gea, Van Persie and Rooney, Vidic, Evra, Carrick are open !!!! Some of these guys are playing / or should be playing for their lives. Reputations, Ego's, Pride, and futures are at stake. It's a perfect game to kick start the season and get things back on track. Shaktar will probably have a full go, and I can see United scoring a couple on the break. I really fancy a United response, a rock solid outing and an away win ! 3 units on the away win 19/20 bet365

I have a funny feeling that United bounce back with a very good display. This is a solid squad, maybe not playing so well, but you don't become bad players overnight. These guys are used to winning , so losing burns them as well. They will all be fired up. They know that past reputations mean little, and Moyes will be evaluating them game-by-game. Perhaps the 'we are not good enough' was a little reverse psychology .... Moyes is no fool, but what hurt him the most in the new job was his commitment to Everton. It did not give him enough chance to get things settled in smoothly. Resulted in bad transfer window, and not being up to speed with recognition of his core 15 players, and how they need to be setup and played. Whoever gets picked, has a huge chance to make a starting position his for the season. Most slots, except for De Gea, Van Persie and Rooney, Vidic, Evra, Carrick are open !!!! Some of these guys are playing / or should be playing for their lives. Reputations, Ego's, Pride, and futures are at stake. It's a perfect game to kick start the season and get things back on track. Shaktar will probably have a full go, and I can see United scoring a couple on the break. I really fancy a United response, a rock solid outing and an away win ! 3 units on the away win 19/20 bet365
Couldn't agree more! I think United will bounce back in style. They will still be vulnerable at the back and I expect them to concede but they will outscore their opponents.

• Man Utd: De Gea, Rafael Da Silva, Smalling, Vidic, Evra, Valencia, Carrick, Fellaini, Cleverley, Welbeck, van Persie. Subs: Lindegaard, Jones, Giggs, Hernandez, Nani, Young, Kagawa. Shakhtar Donetsk: Pyatov, Srna, Kucher, Rakitskiy, Shevchuk, Fernando, Hubschman, Taison, Alex Teixeira, Douglas Costa, Luiz Adriano. Subs: Kanibolotskiy, Stepanenko, Bernard, Eduardo, Ferreyra, Kryvtsov, Ilsinho. Looking like 4-5-1/4-3-3 for United - did play better against City after Cleverley came on - said at the weekend that Rooney needed a rest - he'll be back to demolish the Mackems :)