Arsenal v Aston Villa - Sat 17th August

[TABLE=class: couponTable, width: 617] [TR=class: row1] [TD=class: firstColumn]Arsenal v Aston Villa (15:00 BST)[/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd, align: center]1.42[/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd, align: center]5.25[/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd, align: center]10[/TD] [TD=class: bppWidth bpp, align: center]99.47 %[/TD] [/TR] [/TABLE]

• 3 weeks later...

Re: Arsenal v Aston Villa - Sat 17th August Fancy Benteke to hit the ground running here, on a pleasant day out at the Emirates that Villa will fancy. Villa got a draw on the opening day in the first ever Prem game at the Emirates. If Villa score first the Arsenal fans will get even more restless than usual, and with the transfer window still open it wouldn't shock me if some of them start praying for a result that would shock Arsene into action. Villa finished the season strongly and it looked like they were really coming together as a unit, I think the value is with Villa here.

I'd wait personally as there's a lot left to go and I can see Arsenal, at least, signing one or two players. Benteke has been in the media for all the wrong reasons too in pre season. Seems to have wanted a move, then deciding to stay. Seems like he was leveraging for more money. How that will be taken in the squad is anyone's guess.

Re: Arsenal v Aston Villa - Sat 17th August this is one of those games where i will stay away from. it looks like an easy banker on arsenal but not the one to have in accumulator. aston villa have decent quality and young hungry players and i can see them giving arsenal a really tough match. when you factor in that arsenal don't start their first games in season too well it makes sense. the lack of transfer activity is also a worry.

Re: Arsenal v Aston Villa - Sat 17th August

this is one of those games where i will stay away from. it looks like an easy banker on arsenal but not the one to have in accumulator. aston villa have decent quality and young hungry players and i can see them giving arsenal a really tough match. when you factor in that arsenal don't start their first games in season too well it makes sense. the lack of transfer activity is also a worry.
We are far from banker material, after a fairly disappointing season for Villa I think they will come into this game playing for 3 points to get their season off to a flyer. Wenger is yet to strengthen the squad (Except for the free transfer of Yaya Sanogo) and unless he does so prior to this game I think we will be in for a very tough start to the season. At the moment I would be tempted by the Draw.

Re: Arsenal v Aston Villa - Sat 17th August That's way too short for over 2.5 Didn't Arsenal draw 0-0 last year in their opening game at home to Sunderland And the year before they drew 0-0 aganst Newcastle And the year before they won 1-0 to WBA :$ Last year against Villa they drew 0-0 away and sneaked a 2-1 win at home with 2 late goals, I don't know what points to goals here, especially at 1.55...

[TABLE=class: couponTable' date=' width: 617"] [TR=class: row1] [TD=class: firstColumn]Arsenal v Aston Villa (15:00 BST)[/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd, align: center]1.42[/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd, align: center]5.25[/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd, align: center]10[/TD] [TD=class: bppWidth bpp, align: center]99.47 %[/TD] [/TR] [/TABLE]
Arsenal for sure

That's way too short for over 2.5 Didn't Arsenal draw 0-0 last year in their opening game at home to Sunderland And the year before they drew 0-0 aganst Newcastle And the year before they won 1-0 to WBA :$ Last year against Villa they drew 0-0 away and sneaked a 2-1 win at home with 2 late goals, I don't know what points to goals here, especially at 1.55...
Their home record points to goals. However, you make a good point regarding their opening fixtures.

Re: Arsenal v Aston Villa - Sat 17th August Not sure what relevance past opening games holds tbh. Anyway, I do think we'll win this one. We're still in the process of buying the players we need before the window closes but we have a settled first team anyway so we should be able to navigate our way through the opening few weeks of the season. We played some good stuff out in Asia, then looked lethargic at the Emirates Cup before a good win over Man City yesterday. It was only a friendly but both sides used all their available players. Villa on the other hand have bought a few players but mostly youngsters and I do think it will be another hard year for Villa. Luckily for them Benteke has stayed on and scored a few in pre-season so he will be the obvious danger. Our side will be fairly predictable bar one or two players I'd say. Szczesny Sagna, Mertesacker, Koscielny, Gibbs Arteta, Ramsey, Wilshere Walcott, Giroud, Cazorla Only doubts there for me would be Cazorla who joined pre-season late and didn't look as fit as the rest yesterday as a sub. And Wilshere. The likes of Podolski, Chamberlain or Rosicky are candidates to fill in if either of those doesnt start.

Re: Arsenal v Aston Villa - Sat 17th August Arsenal will look sharp and win comfortably. A few days later they travel to Turkey and NOT winning here at the Emirates will be a huuuge blow. Wenger and the management have always been making money for the club and anything that threatens CL millions, they will not take it lying down. Expect Arsenal to score 3-4 goals. Easy home win!

Arsenal will look sharp and win comfortably. A few days later they travel to Turkey and NOT winning here at the Emirates will be a huuuge blow. Wenger and the management have always been making money for the club and anything that threatens CL millions' date=' they will not take it lying down. Expect Arsenal to score 3-4 goals. Easy home win![/quote'] But that's the issue I have with Arsenal. The priority is surely qualifying for the CL atm. Therefore, with the Fenerbahce game days later (away as well), will they take their eye off this fixture? A fixture that last year they scraped a 2-1 win with 2 late Cazorla goals. Are their key players Walcott, Wilshere, Cazorla fit enough to feature? Arsenal at 4/11 (William Hill), for example is too short a price for me, when Villa do pose a serious threat.

But that's the issue I have with Arsenal. The priority is surely qualifying for the CL atm. Therefore, with the Fenerbahce game days later (away as well), will they take their eye off this fixture? A fixture that last year they scraped a 2-1 win with 2 late Cazorla goals. Are their key players Walcott, Wilshere, Cazorla fit enough to feature? Arsenal at 4/11 (William Hill), for example is too short a price for me, when Villa do pose a serious threat.
Walcott is likely to miss this one and the game against Fenerbahce as well.

But that's the issue I have with Arsenal. The priority is surely qualifying for the CL atm. Therefore, with the Fenerbahce game days later (away as well), will they take their eye off this fixture? A fixture that last year they scraped a 2-1 win with 2 late Cazorla goals. Are their key players Walcott, Wilshere, Cazorla fit enough to feature? Arsenal at 4/11 (William Hill), for example is too short a price for me, when Villa do pose a serious threat.
Okay scrap that, Walcott and Wilshere both started for England tonight and Cazorla started for Spain in Ecuador. The latter however, has had time off due to the Confederations Cup so not much of a preseason so far. Also, travelling to South America isn't the best preparation for the start of the season just days away. First point still remains for Arsenal though.

Re: Arsenal v Aston Villa - Sat 17th August Villa fan here and although I don't bet on my own team we should not be underestimated. I expect a BTTS game as we are incapable of keeping a clean sheet but equally think Benteke will show what he's all about and cause a right handful for Mertesacker, Koscieny et el. The formation we play, switching from 4-3-3 when attacking to 4-5-1 when defending, allows our secondary strikers (auxillary wide midfielders) abandon to fly forward and support Benteke but cover our right and left backs whilst defending. If Arsenal can get the ball to Walcott and Chamberlain quickly then they can cause problems against our expected full backs of Luna (left) and less so against Lowton (right). This is a position in which it looks as we have brought in a automatic first teamer in Luna, Bennett was a weak area for defence last year. So assuming Giroud will play in the lone striker role waiting for service and Walcott and another supporting, the full backs have an important role in deciding the outcome of this game. Gibbs or Monreal will have to get forward beyond the winger but to do that will leave space for us to exploit. If arsenal decide to play a tighter more precise formation involving Carzola, Arteta, Wiltshire etc then they will struggle as out backbone is far stronger. We are pretty strong in the middle now, if Baker plays instead of Clark as he has a few mistakes to get out of his system. Westwood can be a worldclass central mid and partnered with Sylla provides cover for two no nonesense centre backs. We thrive when on the counter attack so anytime an attack breaks down and we can find Weimann, Gabby or hit Benteke to hold it up we will cause alot of problems. It is important to note the chaos Drogba caused in pre-season against a cumbersome Per and, although more dependable, Koscielny. In my opinion this is a solid BTTS pick and also a questionable home lay (or back Villa X2) Good luck all, the prem is back, Get in!!!!

Re: Arsenal v Aston Villa - Sat 17th August This seems like one of those games where it is dangerous to bet on Arsenal... In recent seasons it has been fixtures like this that seem to trip up the Gooners...

Re: Arsenal v Aston Villa - Sat 17th August Both Teams to Score 10/11 @ Coral - BTTS would have won in 12 out of 19 of Arsenal's home league games last season and it would also have won in 12 out of 19 of Villa's league away games and at 10/11 i think that is good value as it is as short as 4/6 at places like PaddyPower. Arsenal have a few injury concerns over some key players as mentioned above and with Benteke fit for Villa i fancy them to score on Saturday as they are very attack minded away from home and can play decent football at times under Lambert. On the other hand, i can't see Arsenal failing to score as they scored a lot of goals at home last season and Villa's defence is not exactly the greatest. I expect Villa to give Arsenal a game on Saturday but i think Arsenal will just get over the line on Saturday coming from behind to win 2-1 with a late goal probably. However, there is absolutely no value in backing Arsenal and i will stick with BTTS.

Re: Arsenal v Aston Villa - Sat 17th August Arsenal v Villa Arsenal -1 @ 11/10 Skybet Looks like another season of struggle for Villa here and it doesn't make life any easier having Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool in there 1st 3 games. Whilst I think they do have enormous potential with the young players they have, the older players just really haven't been performing for them and this could be there downfall. Scoring goals won't be Villas problem this season but they could have a tough time defensively and with the attacking prowess of Arsenal I can see them scoring a few here. Arsenal ended last season really well and if they can pick up where they left off they should have a decent season regardless of not making any big signings.

Re: Arsenal v Aston Villa - Sat 17th August Aston Villa - 8.00 (Coral) Aston Villa Draw No Bet - 5.50 (Coral) Think there's a real chance for Villa to get something here and I think they may take all three points. The past two seasons Arsenal have started slowly, and tend to underestimate teams like Villa at home early in the season. Villa's game last season was to hit on the counter attack and that's where 14.3% of their goals came from. Not only do I think Benteke has the potential to hurt Arsenal on the left hand of the pitch (He tends to move from Left to centre) where Jenkinson will play but I think the absence of Arteta will expose Arsenal to the counter attack even more. If Cazorla misses the game as well (still not quite match fit, apparently) then I think Arsenal will lack creativity too. So far the transfer window has been a bit of a disaster for relations between the fans and the board/management at Arsenal and I think if Villa can get a goal in the first half then the crowd could turn a bit too. I think the 8/1 is a big price with all of those factors at play.

I guess there will be goals here. With last 5 games at the Emirates between these 2 sides producing 3 or more goals. So Over 2.5 Goals @ 1.55 is quite a goo option for an accumulator.
I'm with Mustafa on this one! I see this game being an absolute goal fest and with odds @ 1.55 for overs, I'm just going to have to take it! Usually, I like to wait it out for the first week or two before I place any solid bets so I'm going to make an exception with this game. In the first couple of weeks, players and teams are still a little rusty and need to get the oil in the gears again. You usually find odd results when you least suspect it, for that reason, I like to take a back seat. Anyway.. I'm starting to ramble.. but I tell you what, it's good to be back people! Let's make this a good one for all of us this season! :)

Re: Arsenal v Aston Villa - Sat 17th August Not impressed by Arsenal last year and doubt that I will be this year. Wenger has yet again not delivered in the transfer market. I think they need a high class attacker and someone to replace the terrible Martesacker in the defence. I think its going to be a tight game and my bet on Arsenal-Villa is asian under 3 goals at 1.925...

Re: Arsenal v Aston Villa - Sat 17th August Draw @ 5.20 bet365 Arsenal has goals in them, and with a young Villa backline, they have enough quality there to score some goals but doubt that they will have it all their own way. Lambert has had a season with these players who should be better for it, to play his style of football and with Benteke up front, like him to monster the Arsenal backline as I have little confidence in Mertesacker and Koscielny if they are the CBs for them

Arsenal v Villa Arsenal -1 @ 11/10 Skybet Looks like another season of struggle for Villa here and it doesn't make life any easier having Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool in there 1st 3 games. Whilst I think they do have enormous potential with the young players they have, the older players just really haven't been performing for them and this could be there downfall. Scoring goals won't be Villas problem this season but they could have a tough time defensively and with the attacking prowess of Arsenal I can see them scoring a few here. Arsenal ended last season really well and if they can pick up where they left off they should have a decent season regardless of not making any big signings.
I don't quite understand this reasoning. What old players are you on about? We've bought about 6 players in the summer that have added strength and depth. Not one of them is over the age of 23. Bent, Dunne and Holman have been sold off whilst the likes of Ireland and Hutton won't be nowhere near the first team squad and are now waiting to be sold. Just off the top of my head the oldest player in the starting line up today would be Vlaar (28) then the next would be around 24-25 years old. Defensively it's a fresh start. We've brought in a left back and centre half both who are expected to start. Okore and Luna. The morale is high around the club now Benteke has decided to stay and with Gabby and Weimann playing either side of him we pose a good attacking threat. Good luck with your bet though, just giving other people a heads up!

I see Arsenal lost out in their bid for Gustavo.... They really need to strengthen badly midfield and attack but "should" have too much for Villa today. However as it's the start of the season I wouldn't be rushing out to back Arsenal at rubbish odds here :unsure. Villa seem a bit of an unknown entity this season. They finished last season very very strongly. What's the deal with Benteke - After his U turn over leaving where's his head at. In the close season Lambert has been busy moving on some dead wood while making five or six signings all of whom are at decent ages now. So I think Villa could surprise this season and here they look the value because Arsenal are about as frightening these days as a gerbil :lol