** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

Can anyone tell me what is happening here?

ExcitableBoy

PokerStars Hand #95703517273: Tournament #2013004031, $10+$1 USD Hold'em No Limit - Level VI (75/150) - 2013/03/17 18:37:20 WET [2013/03/17 14:37:20 ET] Table '2013004031 2813' 9-max Seat #1 is the button Seat 1: tvt1978 (3910 in chips) Seat 2: tigergambit (3446 in chips) Seat 3: Moriarty709 (3045 in chips) Seat 4: windslake (7558 in chips) Seat 5: Shymonposa (5000 in chips) Seat 6: Cody11x (13640 in chips) Seat 7: XaSS[08] (6387 in chips) Seat 8: sipsomaatik (4205 in chips) is sitting out Seat 9: drrr118 (5706 in chips) tigergambit: posts small blind 75 Moriarty709: posts big blind 150 *** HOLE CARDS *** Dealt to tigergambit [Qc Kd] windslake: folds Shymonposa: folds Cody11x: folds XaSS[08]: folds sipsomaatik: folds drrr118: folds tvt1978: raises 190 to 340 tigergambit: calls 265 Moriarty709: folds *** FLOP *** [9c 6h Kc] tigergambit: checks tvt1978: bets 450 tigergambit: raises 450 to 900 tvt1978: raises 450 to 1350 tigergambit: raises 1756 to 3106 and is all-in tvt1978: calls 1756 *** TURN *** [9c 6h Kc] [Qh] *** RIVER *** [9c 6h Kc Qh] [7d] *** SHOW DOWN *** tigergambit: shows [Qc Kd] (two pair, Kings and Queens) tvt1978: shows [??]

Re: Can anyone tell me what is happening here? Cruel to ask this really, but there is a point. When he called me I had assumed that he had exactly what ram first suggested - AA, AK, 66 or 99. Oh sh1t. He didn't. Here's the rest of the hand: *** SHOW DOWN *** tigergambit: shows [Qc Kd] (two pair, Kings and Queens) tvt1978: shows [7s Ah] (a pair of Sevens) tigergambit collected 7042 from pot *** SUMMARY *** Total pot 7042 | Rake 0 Board [9c 6h Kc Qh 7d] Seat 1: tvt1978 (button) showed [7s Ah] and lost with a pair of Sevens Seat 2: tigergambit (small blind) showed [Qc Kd] and won (7042) with two pair, Kings and Queens Seat 3: Moriarty709 (big blind) folded before Flop Seat 4: windslake folded before Flop (didn't bet) I mean - WTF?? Is this normal? As you all know I am a very obvious TAG player and it ain't very difficult to spot. At $10 + 1 I kinda expected a bit better - or is this normal in these really big tourneys? Even so what on earth did he hope to catch? Here's another one: PokerStars Hand #95706735730: Tournament #2013004031, $10+$1 USD Hold'em No Limit - Level X (200/400) - 2013/03/17 19:25:29 WET [2013/03/17 15:25:29 ET] Table '2013004031 2813' 9-max Seat #7 is the button Seat 1: Ripley D (6330 in chips) Seat 2: tigergambit (14461 in chips) Seat 3: wappel29 (3255 in chips) Seat 4: windslake (12925 in chips) Seat 5: Shymonposa (15570 in chips) Seat 6: Cody11x (8070 in chips) Seat 7: joepkeee (5325 in chips) Seat 8: JUST-A-ASVER (4440 in chips) Seat 9: drrr118 (8121 in chips) Ripley D: posts the ante 40 tigergambit: posts the ante 40 wappel29: posts the ante 40 windslake: posts the ante 40 Shymonposa: posts the ante 40 Cody11x: posts the ante 40 joepkeee: posts the ante 40 JUST-A-ASVER: posts the ante 40 drrr118: posts the ante 40 JUST-A-ASVER: posts small blind 200 drrr118: posts big blind 400 *** HOLE CARDS *** Dealt to tigergambit [Kc Ad] Ripley D: calls 400 tigergambit: raises 1200 to 1600 wappel29: raises 1600 to 3200 windslake: folds Shymonposa has timed out Shymonposa: folds Shymonposa is sitting out Cody11x: folds joepkeee: folds JUST-A-ASVER: folds drrr118: folds Ripley D: folds tigergambit: raises 11221 to 14421 and is all-in wappel29: calls 15 and is all-in Uncalled bet (11206) returned to tigergambit *** FLOP *** [Kh 8h Qc] *** TURN *** [Kh 8h Qc] [4s] *** RIVER *** [Kh 8h Qc 4s] [6c] *** SHOW DOWN *** tigergambit: shows [Kc Ad] (a pair of Kings) wappel29: shows [7d 6d] (a pair of Sixes) tigergambit collected 7790 from pot wappel29 finished the tournament in 19818th place *** SUMMARY *** Total pot 7790 | Rake 0 Board [Kh 8h Qc 4s 6c] Seat 1: Ripley D folded before Flop Seat 2: tigergambit showed [Kc Ad] and won (7790) with a pair of Kings Seat 3: wappel29 showed [7d 6d] and lost with a pair of Sixes Seat 4: windslake folded before Flop (didn't bet) Seat 5: Shymonposa folded before Flop (didn't bet) Seat 6: Cody11x folded before Flop (didn't bet) Seat 7: joepkeee (button) folded before Flop (didn't bet) Seat 8: JUST-A-ASVER (small blind) folded before Flop Seat 9: drrr118 (big blind) folded before Flop I mean, he min-reraises all in with 6-7 sooooooted against a raiser with (comparatively) loads of chips. WTF? I assumed he had JJ or QQ. Is this typical?

Re: Can anyone tell me what is happening here?

The second play is fine imo He's got like 8 bigs, obv gunna be shoving wide and with the limper theres added dead money in there with a hand that's got decent enough equity against a big range of hands. Plus when you raise 4x bb I'd discount QQ+ for a lot of players
Thanks. I guess I just play too tight. I had just won the previous hand preflop minraising with AKs, so I was hoping either someone would think I was stealing and give me a coinflip or I would walk, hence the 4BB. What I really can't see about this guy's play is that he (a) had no fold equity as I had pot odds to call anything and (b) had such low connectors he was certain to be behind. Even though the blinds are coming surely he should have waited to be first into the pot with any A or K? Why play against a raiser who has to call you?

Re: Can anyone tell me what is happening here? In the first hand, what kind of range did you put him on before you shoved? He, albeit folding to him on the button, had raised pre-, then min-reraised your strong looking check-minreraise. Whilst his subsequent call of your shove was awful, you've shoved with worse than tptk against a (seemingly) strong hand. Obviously being at a table with him over preceding hands would influence gameplay decisions, but as a stand-alone hand your move doesn't look like it would be a profitable one long-term imo.

Re: Can anyone tell me what is happening here? In the micromillions normal rules often don't apply especially early on. I have had AA and AK shoves called by hands such as 35, 46 and 10 2. In every case their was at least an Ace on the board no straight or flush draws and the other player was only holding one pair to at least 2 overcards. Because of the size of the fields a lot of players are playing very loose, plus many especially russian have qualified from sats using points or small buyin. You just have to judge from their earlier play when you can shove profitably.

In the first hand, what kind of range did you put him on before you shoved? He, albeit folding to him on the button, had raised pre-, then min-reraised your strong looking check-minreraise. Whilst his subsequent call of your shove was awful, you've shoved with worse than tptk against a (seemingly) strong hand. Obviously being at a table with him over preceding hands would influence gameplay decisions, but as a stand-alone hand your move doesn't look like it would be a profitable one long-term imo.
Preflop I had him stealing on A-x, where x is 2-9. Postflop I thought he had A9. He would have shoved to my reraise had he had AK or 99, and I expected to be ahead given his previous play. I was kinda feeling that this was a make or break hand. I wasn't going to fold to a minraise and calling committed half my chips to the hand anyway. I felt that if I called and there was an A on the turn or he bet out on the turn I would be in a very difficult spot, so I shoved expecting him to fold. Could/should I have folded here? Tbh I was feeling pretty crippled already, but maybe that's something I need to look at?

Re: Can anyone tell me what is happening here? Hand 1 you've got to have a better plan for the hand, what do you want to achieve when you're faced with his bet. Think about things like do you want to keep the pot small as the turn river can give him a better hand or do you think you have the best hand vs lots of possible draws in which case maybe you can shove. In the 2nd hand other things to consider are he has 8bb with the blind just about to hit him and the blinds went up pretty liberally in that tournament so extremely quickly if you don't shove a nice looking hand you'll be left with 4bb and looking for miracles.

Thanks. I guess I just play too tight. I had just won the previous hand preflop minraising with AKs, so I was hoping either someone would think I was stealing and give me a coinflip or I would walk, hence the 4BB. What I really can't see about this guy's play is that he (a) had no fold equity as I had pot odds to call anything and (b) had such low connectors he was certain to be behind. Even though the blinds are coming surely he should have waited to be first into the pot with any A or K? Why play against a raiser who has to call you?
In the first hand, what kind of range did you put him on before you shoved? He, albeit folding to him on the button, had raised pre-, then min-reraised your strong looking check-minreraise. Whilst his subsequent call of your shove was awful, you've shoved with worse than tptk against a (seemingly) strong hand. Obviously being at a table with him over preceding hands would influence gameplay decisions, but as a stand-alone hand your move doesn't look like it would be a profitable one long-term imo.
Agree with this!

Hand 1 you've got to have a better plan for the hand, what do you want to achieve when you're faced with his bet. Think about things like do you want to keep the pot small as the turn river can give him a better hand or do you think you have the best hand vs lots of possible draws in which case maybe you can shove.
So sould I have called and then folded to a scare card on the turn or river? Or say it had been a 2, I check and he bets out? Or would this have left me too short stacked? As I said I thought the Kings were good, but there was a liklihood of an overcard. I had seen him agressively reraise postflop several times, so assumed he had hit but given I had one K another was less likely than a 9. I suppose he could have had K9 or 96 but I was pretty certain he had an A given previous hands. TT - QQ was possible preflop but I don't think he would have re-reraised with these. I am assuming nobody thinks I should have folded to the min re-reraise?

In the 2nd hand other things to consider are he has 8bb with the blind just about to hit him and the blinds went up pretty liberally in that tournament so extremely quickly if you don't shove a nice looking hand you'll be left with 4bb and looking for miracles.
This is pretty much what I was thinking when I shoved hand 1! Is 67s really enough to shove with here when you know you will get called because of pot odds? Or doesn't it matter?

So sould I have called and then folded to a scare card on the turn or river? Or say it had been a 2, I check and he bets out? Or would this have left me too short stacked? As I said I thought the Kings were good, but there was a liklihood of an overcard. I had seen him agressively reraise postflop several times, so assumed he had hit but given I had one K another was less likely than a 9. I suppose he could have had K9 or 96 but I was pretty certain he had an A given previous hands. TT - QQ was possible preflop but I don't think he would have re-reraised with these. I am assuming nobody thinks I should have folded to the min re-reraise?
There's not really many scare cards on the turn, any club you have a big club yourself, and any middling card gives you straight draws too so you can raise flop shove any turn pretty much. Or if they're aggro just c/c flop c/r turn allin.
This is pretty much what I was thinking when I shoved hand 1! Is 67s really enough to shove with here when you know you will get called because of pot odds? Or doesn't it matter?
In that guys situation i'd prefer to shove 67s than equivalent hands like Q4 or K2 which are much more likely to be dominated. With 8big blinds and likely 4 big blinds very soon the vast majority of time you will have to go all-in with a hand that will be behind, best to choose one that has nice equity like 67s.