** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

ICC Women's World Cup 2013

Marshland

I thought I would take the liberty of starting a thread since the Women's World Cup starts tomorrow and there are markets up ( first one I have attempted so hope it works ok ) :) It is televised on Sky and being an ICC event there should hopefully be some pretty good coverage / info available ( unlike for example the BPL which has been a nightmare :lol ). I'm ashamed to say I don't know much about the women's game but I have been trying to change that over the last couple of days. England the red hot favourites at 11/10 ( Stan James ). Then Australia 9/4 ( bet365 ) India 13/2 ( Paddy Power ) NZ 7/1 ( Paddy Power ) WI 40/1 ( Paddy Power ) Pak 150/1 ( Paddy Power ) SA 150/1 ( Skybet ) SL 200/1 ( Skybet ) England - who lost to NZ yesterday in a warm up match - and Aus have a pretty even record - 10 wins each in the last 20 Ashes matches. Which on a simple level would seem to make Aus the value. They have also won it 5 times to England's 3 ( NZ 1 time ) so I have had 2 points on them to win. Hoping they get to the final and can cover stakes at evens-ish but we will see. What was interesting is that for a time WI were available at 150 on betfair so I had 1 point on that. Stan James have them as short as 20/1. Counting against Windies is the tournament format. 2 x groups of 4 play each other once, bottom teams eliminated and remaining 6 through to 'Super Six'. Each team then plays the 3 teams from the other group - so every team plays every other. Top 2 from the Super Six go through to the final. So in theory it is harder for an outsider to make it through to the final this way than, say, if top 4 qualified for knockout semis and an unfancied team can sneak into 4th place and then have a chance in a one-off game. Counting for WI is their batting line up which, from what I've read, can be pretty potent on its day. Deandra Dottin has the record for the quickest century in women's - and men's - T20Is for example. Looking for a trading opportunity really. I tend to agree with what is mentioned in sportinglife's preview; that they will need to beat NZ and hosts India ( tomorrow ) and one of the fancied teams though to make it worthwhile. Thought it was worth a go as the price was extravagant compared to what the firms had them priced at. Also happened upon this stat on cricinfo, which seems like a nugget of pure gold for bettors ! Reckon I will have a look at this in the first couple of games and see how it pans out:- 76 - The number of times teams chasing have had a target of 190 or more in World Cup matches. 1 - The number of times, in those 76 matches, that teams have successfully chased a target of 190 or more. The only such win was by New Zealand against India in the 2009 tournament in Sydney, when New Zealand chased down a target of 208 with 14 balls to spare. There are a few interesting articles on cricinfo about the tournamant and a betting preview on the sportinglife website. Cheers guys, best of luck to anyone else who gets involved. :ok

Re: ICC Women's World Cup 2013 Couple of interesting markets in any womens games are total wides and total sixes. Normally plenty of wides but under/over 18.5 is a difficult one to argue with (hills). The bet for me in the opening game is to back over 0.5 with hills as there are at least 2 players who can clear the ropes in the India/west indies game (dottin / rout). For the tournament I fancy Australia as they have a long batting line up

Re: ICC Women's World Cup 2013 Thanks Blubber. Just read the match preview for tomorrow on cricinfo which talks about the potential for it to be a good wicket for batting. Overs on that sixes line looks good, will give that a go for sure. Happy to be on Aus, nothing is ever guaranteed but they must have a solid chance. Cheers

Re: ICC Women's World Cup 2013 Not a tournament I plan to get heavily involved in but I can't be having England at that price at all. That has to be based on their T20 record rather than their 50 over record where they are nowhere near as dominant. India could be a big price with home advantage.

Re: ICC Women's World Cup 2013 I am going to have to start off backing Windies today against India at 5.1 on Betfair. A lot has been made of the treatment of the Indian team by the BCCI over the past week and I think there is an overwhelming amount of pressure on them to show why they deserve more pay and exposure. This being the first match with the rest of the world watching I can definitely see them crumbling under such intense scrutiny. The Windies come off a good recent series win against South Africa and beat India 2-1 in an ODI series last year. India have also not played a competitive ODI match in over six months so I can see them being rusty as a unit, and they also have to adapt very quickly to the new fielding changes. Too many mitigating factors for India to be a 1/5 shot here imo.

Re: ICC Women's World Cup 2013 Thanks all, lets see if the odds or line changes for tomorrow's games. 37 Wides which is much more than usual, so dont get drawn into thinking that's the norm. Expect some wides off the Aussies in tomorrow's game especially Perry opening up sprays it about. Let me know what you fancy for the England and Australia games, i have not looked yet?

Re: ICC Women's World Cup 2013

Not a tournament I plan to get heavily involved in but I can't be having England at that price at all. That has to be based on their T20 record rather than their 50 over record where they are nowhere near as dominant. India could be a big price with home advantage.
From what little I know, I think it's almost certainly between England and Australia. Best value might be in betting on things like boundaries or player runs, or player boundaries. I think it's almost certainly easier to get an edge in Womens Cricket if you are prepared to put in some work.

Re: ICC Women's World Cup 2013 Have had a look for markets for tomorrow's games and am struggling to find much. Hills don't have anything up apart from straight win market - certainly not match sixes or wides. Not sure what's happening there. The favourites for the three games in the morning really are very short. Not sure there is much to be gained from laying any of them though ? Might need to sit these ones out and see what comes up for the Sunday games.

From what little I know' date=' I think it's almost certainly between England and Australia. Best value might be in betting on things like boundaries or player runs, or player boundaries. I think it's almost certainly easier to get an edge in Womens Cricket if you are prepared to put in some work.[/quote'] Just can't back England at that price, not in India anyway. If you take Charlotte Edwards and Sarah Taylor out of our batting line up there isn't a massive amount of substance to it and I'm not convinced we've got the best attack for the conditions either. We lost to New Zealand in the warm up match which should've raised eyebrows to what could happen and when the super six stage comes along you've got to be in the top 2 to make the final so there's no time for getting into the tournament really. As I said, I thought India were the value in the outright market and I thought they looked good against the Windies. Let's see how England go against Sri Lanka but I'd want much nearer 2/1 before I gave backing them any genuine consideration I think.

Re: ICC Women's World Cup 2013 Had a look at the prices for tomorrow's India v England game with hills and see they have pushed out both total wides and total sixes out. Hardly surprising really considering the boundary sizes seem fair and total wides per game seems around the 20 mark. i would be tempted to back total wides again @ over 19.5 (5/6) as England have very few batters who can clear the ropes.

Re: ICC Women's World Cup 2013 Yes I spotted those too. They're not giving much away on those lines or indeed the match odds are they. Despite the higher line I was thinking about overs on the sixes at +/-3.5. SL hit five off the England attack on Friday, whilst India scored three in their first match. Your comment about England not having many big hitters has warned me off though, thanks; feels like it would rely heavily on India to cover the line so I think I will pass. One bet that might have legs is Poonam Raut for top India batsman at 4/1 with Bet365. SL's openers made a century stand for the first wicket on Friday, and if England's attack struggle to make inroads here too then it will put the two Indian openers in a good position to challenge for this honour. Also, she top scored in the warm up v NZ on the 28th, and wasn't far off against Aus the following day. 4/1 seems like a fair price in this context, particularly after reading the quote below on cricinfo - she clearly won't lack for motivation. I'll try a point on this for an interest and see how she goes. There was a lot of support for the hosts against West Indies from the small, but noisy, crowd. Poonam Raut, the India opener who hails from Mumbai and made a half-century that day, was a favourite, with her family and friends cheering every run she scored. "You feel good when there is a match on your home ground," Raut said. "There is a bit of pressure but it feels good that there are supporters for you. I am glad they came to see the match. And they had good wishes for me and had expectations which I fulfilled. I hope that I can play the tournament like that for them and the country." Also, based on Blubber's comment above and the fact England only hit one maximum in the first game, plus the sixes SL took off the England attack and the fact India have seemingly got ladies who can clear the ropes I'll have a go on India most match sixes at 7/4 with bet365, Hills. 3-way market so a tie loses. Good luck to everyone.

Re: ICC Women's World Cup 2013 Thanks marshland good work, if Taylor and Marsh come back in then Jones and Elwiss might be the ones to go out if Brindle is fit, Marsh will try to pinch hit at the top, with Taylor probably going in at 3. Over 3.5 sixes is pretty fair so don't let me put you off my worry is based on a different wicket and not sure if they will push the boundaries out. Raj and Raut are the 2 class acts in the Indian top order. I Think 4/1 is a good price as she will have the opportunity at the top to bat the full 50overs. Good luck all.

Re: ICC Women's World Cup 2013 Cheers Blubber :) Was fortunate that Kaur never gave up the chase. I see the wides came in just below what you needed so bad luck there :( Was happy with that Windies performance, they are clearly a force on their day. Consistency might be the problem but if they bring it to England next up then anything can happen, that group is wide open ! Will be very interested to see the sixes line in that match, if WI are around the same price as were India today then it would feel like a must-bet I reckon. Aus v NZ looks an interesting game. Also a couple of observstions, there seem to have been a few tons thus far. That went off about 6/1 today i think so might be worth a small consideraton, dependent on which ground they are playing at. Plus a few run outs have occured. That was a recurring winner in the carribean t20 so will have a look at that line too if one is offered. Cheers

Re: ICC Women's World Cup 2013 Can't currently see sixes match bet market up for Eng / WI which is a shame. However I will have a dip on this one: India v SL total match run outs - over 1.5. 13/8 paddy power. Rationale is fairly simple really. India's two matches so far had 3 and 3 run outs. SL's 2 and 3. So on the basis this line has been covered 4/4 times I reckon 13/8 is a fair price. Also because either side can qualify with a win - but might be out if they lose ( depending in relative nrr's) - it could end up being a nervy affair which just feels like it might a bit more conducive to bad calls and run outs. India in particular will feel under pressure to win I would think. Anyway we shall see. Best of luck all.

Max bet for this market is 6.5 pounds or is it only me?
Hi GrimReaper, hmm I didn't have that problem. Not sure what to suggest, it was only PP I could see who had that market up so not many other options available. Hope you manage to get on :)

I guess that since you took your bet they limited the market and that's all.
PP traders are absolutely the worst bottle jobs I have ever come across. Betting in play is an absolute nightmare with their constant price changes and market suspensions. Their mobile site is completely useless, sometimes takes five minutes (no exageration) to get a bet on due to price changes occuring every 20 seconds.

Great effort by the Lanka girls, have given a lifeline to the Windies outright :loon India need 283 to win, 251 to qualify. Their highest ever chase is 230.
The dream lives on ! :lol All they have to do now is beat SA, then NZ and Aus, hope a series of other results go in their favour, then beat one of the top teams again in the final. Easy. What a tournament SL are having. Good article on cricinfo about the development of women's game in the country. Some enlightened folks involved in their setup. Hats off to anyone who saw that angle ante-post. That is poor from PP if they did limit stakes at that level. I remember trying to put a PDC bet on inplay with them the other week and it was almost literally impossible.

Re: ICC Women's World Cup 2013 England get beat by two runs...:cry They had it in the bag, even tho they had a bad start. TWO HORRIFIC LBW DECISIONS BY THE SRI LANKA UMPIRE....Shameful, he was most definately against England....IF you backed England you were robbed. Dodgey game if ever there was one.

Re: ICC Women's World Cup 2013 Dodgy decisions or not, if you restrict your closest rivals to 147 then you need to finish the job. For a team that was as short as England to win the tournament to be 39/6 is just not acceptable, and that's where the losing punters should be pointing the finger.

Re: ICC Women's World Cup 2013 Put up a lay yesterday on my Windies girls at 11. Felt like an opportune moment, was hoping a WI win vs SA and SL defeat to NZ today would make it seem takeable. And so it has proved, so c.12x profit on original 1pt which I would have taken for sure at the start. But then, I looked at the table again and really it is wide open. That England defeat today has made it interesting to say the least. Gave up trying to work out all the permutations but if WI beat NZ they must have a genuine chance of making the final, possibly even if they lose to Aus in the final Super Six match ? Went back in with 1pt at 16/1 ( bet365) for sport, what the hell ! If nothing else they are fun to support. The Kiwis must fancy their chances too, highest nrr of all teams. Seem to have gone unnoticed but now 2nd in the standings; beat WI and they can start thinking about the final. 4/1 with Ladrokes, might be of interest. They have won the trophy once before. I haven't seen any Eng / Aus highlights but England must be bitterly disappointed not to have got over the line. Never beaten Aus in an ODI on neutral territory apparently ( 14-0 ) and no victory against them in the WC for 20 years according to sky news. Not sure I understand why the BCCI object so much to using DRS ? England themselves are 7/2 now, my concern for them though is that even if they win their remaining two matches it might not be enough. SA have got nothing to lose now they are out which might make them dangerous opposition. Compelling comp now, looking forward to the next matches.