** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

Simonsig - bet or lay?

If given a 50/50 bet on the spot would you bet or lay Simonsig to win the Arkle? Im sure theres a way to do a poll but I dont know how. This question was bounded round my local/bookies at weekend and 6/7 wanted to back. Just interested in opinions. Me and my friends are quite varied in knowledge but none of us have the knowledge that a lot on here do. It seems a lot of things appear to be in Simonsigs favour but would be interested in opiniions. Captain Conan was mentioned but I have never seen him race but all i read seems to be very positive? Dont venture in here much so please show a little mercy:)

Re: Simonsig - bet or lay? I have a feeling Captain Conan could beat it and it's probably going to be my bet (each way) against Simonsig. It's absolutely huge, saw it in the flesh at Cheltenham and it will literally hop over fences, has won at Cheltenham too. I wonder if Henderson will put 2 of his stars against each other or run it in a different race. Simonsig looks different class but it would be less risky as a lay at the prices.

Re: Simonsig - bet or lay? I would lay it. Plenty of good opposition, Oscars Wells, Arvika Ligeonnaire, Overturn and Captain Conan. Thing about cheltenham is every horse is trying for it's life. It is a graveyard this course, would definately lay it. Remember Hurricane Fly last year?

Re: Simonsig - bet or lay? I think he'll probably win but I'm happier to be on Arvika Ligeonniere e/w at 7s than Simonsig to win at evens - so long as Arvika doesn't show the tendency to jump right as he did last time! I think he's the second best horse in the field at least so as long as Ruby doesn't go mad and get involved in a ridiculous dual for the lead, I don't see him out of the three.

Re: Simonsig - bet or lay? I didn't like him as a chaser to begin with but now struggling to see what gets him off bridle - nothing imo. Captain Conan fought off Hinterland and won comfortably by a few lengths, Simonsig didn't even break sweat to beat him a distance. I haven't backed him at the price (actually on Oscars Well and Captain Conan at 14s the pair I think), but wouldn't lay him at even money either. His engine is ridiculous.