** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **

Did I play badly? (advice)

mrmuzeman

Ok in a multi table tourny. I hold around 1000 in chips. Its early in the tourny and this is just an average amount of chips. Dealt KK in the hole. Early position. The big blind was 30, I bet 60. I figure get a couple of callers then bet big on the flop as long as it doesnt look bad. I got 4 callers. Flop came 9. 9. 7. None were the same suit so no flush possibility. Under the gun someone bet 400. I didnt like this but thought why bet such a big amount if indeed you have a 9. I decide not to fold but go all in over the top. The two others fold, the original better called. He had A9. No help (obviously) from remaining two cards and im out. Did I play this badly? Should I have played with more strength pre flop? Should I have folded my kings? My thinking was since I was in early position I should have perhaps bet more. Perhaps 120 (big blind 30). Im not sure if all in was the correct play after the flop. I couldnt call as it was half my stack so may as well go for it. But should I have folded?

Re: Did I play badly? (advice) Mr Muzeman - I'm not sure how most people would have played that hand and what is 'wrong' or 'right' (statistically speaking) but I would have been all in pre flop with KK (even in early position) as I know that only AA can be ahead of me. This is the way I would have played given your chips in an early tourney stage.

Re: Did I play badly? (advice) I see what you are saying but if everyone folds which they probably would then id feel like there was no point even getting a big hand. I guess when someone does call Ive got the best of it though and it was early position etc. I think youre advice may be correct at such an early stage in the tourny when many call with unsuited aces with rages etc. What about my all in move would you have played this or folded?

Re: Did I play badly? (advice) Id have to go with the medium here. I would have raised more, probably 200 or so, but I wouldnt have gone all-in pre-flop. This is just because most times everyone will fold and you'll only be getting 90 for your hand. Once the blinds are bigger Id play it as Gett1n says but not that early in.

Re: Did I play badly? (advice)

Id have to go with the medium here. I would have raised more' date=' probably 200 or so, but I wouldnt have gone all-in pre-flop. This is just because most times everyone will fold and you'll only be getting 90 for your hand. Once the blinds are bigger Id play it as Gett1n says but not that early in.[/quote'] I see what your saying WFTE but I don't mind the odd dry pot. If they call I'm ahead anyway (unless I meet AA) so I'll take the big pot or go out against an unlucky draw. This is the way I play and so far :hope I am in profit on Cash and MTT.

Re: Did I play badly? (advice) mrmuzeman, Unlucky mate its always harsh to make an early exit from a MTT holding AA or KK :(. Personally I would have gone for the middle ground here and raised a little more preflop but not all in - probably I would have made it 200 to go. It's not really your fault you were called by A9 tho, I am sure he would have called 200 to go as well he just got very lucky on the flop. As for being able to escape on from this hand I am always very wary when the board pairs IN THE PLAYING ZONE. What I mean by playing zone is 10JQKA. Thus the flop coming QQx would probably have caused me to shut down and not commit my stack to the pot but coming 997 it might be different. I would not have been immediately wary, although A9 J9 109 98 and 77 would be the hands I was worried about. An average player with A9 who flopped 997 against a raiser would just have checked to you as a slowplay and seeing as he led into you for 400 there is no way I would have put him on the 9. I would have thought he had another (lower) pocket pair. You can feel no shame going broke with this hand mate and it was just a bit unlucky (and well played by the guy with 999) Jez