** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

Aston Villa v Arsenal > Saturday 24th November

Aidymac

[TABLE=class: couponTable, width: 617] [TR=class: row1] [TD=class: firstColumn]Aston Villa v Arsenal (17:30 GMT)[/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd, align: center]4.85[/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd, align: center]3.75[/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd, align: center]1.82[/TD] [TD=class: bppWidth bpp, align: center]102.23 % [/TD] [/TR] [/TABLE]

Re: Aston Villa v Arsenal > Saturday 24th November I see us at 1.75 which I think is just too short tbh, I'd have us around 1.90-2.00. Villa away, evening kick-off, we have a crucial home European match on Wednesday night. We also dont have much scope for rotation so invariably throw in **** performances at times. I expect Villa to try and replicate what they did against United and what Norwich have been doing at times....getting men back, closing the spaces, keeping a solid shape, make life difficult, and then wait for counters with Benteke up top and pace running off him with Agbonlahor. Too early to make any bets right now, BTTS looks a solid one to me but I imagine the price would be low. We just do not look like keeping clean sheets these days but we have threats in attack now as Walcott, Giroud are finally striking up a partnership and cazorla can turn it on.

Re: Aston Villa v Arsenal > Saturday 24th November Also don't agree with odds on Arsenal here and can see an open game here because of the way both sides play. Which means goals!!!! Defensively both sides are poor so cannot see either keeping clean sheet here. Both Sides To Score - 8pts Over 2.5 Goals - 8pts

Re: Aston Villa v Arsenal > Saturday 24th November *Arsenal WIN @ 1.76 > Betfair* *Over 2.5 Goals @ 1.69 > Betfair* I don't think Arsenal should be 2.0, i think the price they are is fair as they struggle against the top sides. Yes, they went 2-0 up against United, but the way they lost the game 3-2 with an hour to go really showed up their defensive frailties. I also think Arsenal's defence is much stronger than United's at the moment. City beat Villa 5-0 last week, a hammering. What is a huge boost for Arsenal is the return of Jack Wilshere, they have improved with him in the side, beat Spurs 5-2 last weekend and won 2-0 in the Champions League midweek, they are on the up, and Arsenal are my bankers for this weekend, comfortable win in my opinion, especially now that Giroud has found his scoring boots also. I also think Villa will create a few chances, so goals for me.

Re: Aston Villa v Arsenal > Saturday 24th November Well I haven't seen how Villa performed at City but I guess they were very poor - will have to check though before I bet on them As much as I love Arsenal winning and got some decent profit when they beat Spurs, I think that the red card for Ade was a turning point in that game. Don't know how it would have turned had Tottenham played with 11 men for the entire game. For sure they were better until the sending off And as mentioned, Arsenal have not many rotation possibilities - almost entire first 11 played against Montpellier yesterday. Aston Villa were superb in their last home game, despite being beaten by United. And you have to admit Arsenal leak goals for fun. I think that Aston Villa goals over 1.5 @ 3.25 with bet365 is a good bet also Benteke to score & AV win & >3.5 goals in the game @45 to make the game more interesting :)

Aston Villa were superb in their last home game, despite being beaten by United. And you have to admit Arsenal leak goals for fun.
Personally I don't agree Villa were superb. I watched the game and sat there thinking how pedestrian their play was. There's no inventiveness. Just a lot of passing from side to side, very little flair, or thought to it. I think the fact United started so dire masks how average Villa are right now. It shows as well because when United woke up it took them how long? Half an hour to score three and win the game. I'm not sure where the value lies here, and I'm not sure it's accurate saying Arsenal at odds on is generally poor value. But the point is, are they value odds on against this current Villa side? Don't know yet. But I do think this Villa side are quite average, and Arsenal could easily take them apart. Whether they will or not is pot luck. That's why I'd probably rather be on the overs tbh as neither have particularly strong defences.

Re: Aston Villa v Arsenal > Saturday 24th November Some thoughts: Wilshere is back and I think he will improve but he had some very bad passes in midweek which made it difficult for arsenal to dominate Montpellier early on. Defensivly he looked very strong. Walcott will be out which forces Wenger to either play Chamberlain, who looked totally out of form, or Gervinho who just came back from injury. I thought Gervinho started the season very strong but the international break did cost him(and arsenal) big time. He is a big question mark for me. Tough Wenger will need one of Arshavin or Gervinho to step up.. The biggest + for me is that Kieran Gibbs is back. Im not sure if he will start but it makes absolutely sense cause Vermaelen isnt a left back. He doesnt link up very good with Podolski and doesnt provide threatening runs forward like Gibbs can. Gibbs is also better in moving back when he did move forward which will ensure that podolski can concentrate more on offense. This is also the key to arsenal playing tight at the back again. While Diaby is still missing the return of Sagna and Gibbs will give them the right balance again. One big concern for me is how players like Arteta will fare as he has seen plenty of game time lately. ------ I think Manchester was very weak vs. Aston Villa and it was a dead boring game without any depth until chicharito scored out of nowhere 3 goals. ---------- Vilal will probably sit back and try to outwork Arsenal. I think its really a question of how fit Arsenal will be. They posses many weapons at the moment and the link up between cazorla, wilshere and arteta could be too much for Villa who for example struggled with the fluidity of southhampton. They are playing very one dimensional. I think Arsenal will step up their defensive game again with Gibbs back and Villa wont trouble them much. Villa wil ltry to contain Arsenal with an organized defense but arsenals link up play and the dangers of Girourd and Podolski will eventually strike and arsenal will try to run out the game cause of their schedule lately. Villa looked very tired after a big effort in the first half vs. Man U. Same at Man City. ----- To summ it up: a) Will Arsenal be fit enough.(espacially Arteta, Wilshere-Ramsey possible in midfield?) b) will Oxlade chamberlain or Gervinho step up? c) will Gibbs play which will give Arsenal a more balanced left side offensivly and defensivly.

Re: Aston Villa v Arsenal > Saturday 24th November

Personally I don't agree Villa were superb. I watched the game and sat there thinking how pedestrian their play was. There's no inventiveness. Just a lot of passing from side to side, very little flair, or thought to it. I think the fact United started so dire masks how average Villa are right now. It shows as well because when United woke up it took them how long? Half an hour to score three and win the game.
you know I checked the stats and indeed they show AV were poor at home to United yet when I watched MOTD i had an impression AV outplayed United in the first half at least so I'm not so confident anymore, but the bet is placed and I hope it wins :) cheers

you know I checked the stats and indeed they show AV were poor at home to United yet when I watched MOTD i had an impression AV outplayed United in the first half at least so I'm not so confident anymore, but the bet is placed and I hope it wins :) cheers
Villa ran their lungs out and Man u(scholes) just passed right left without any ideas. Then villa got some counter chances due to lack of concentration by man u. Second half Hernandez came on and beat a dead tired aston villa team who dropped to deep. Villa certainly can make life hard for arsenal if they outwork them. Tough I wouldnt bet on them as they are just a mediocre side. For me it depends all on Arsenal and how they cope with their fitness. They are in an uptrend while aston villa is in a slump.

Re: Aston Villa v Arsenal > Saturday 24th November Arsenal win to nil 5/2 BlueSq Villa have only scored 10 in 12 league games this season, whereas Arsenal's defence is looking slightly improved, particularly when Santos doesn't play. When Villa were creating chances from against United was when Ireland was finding space on the counter, allowing him to feed Benteke or Weimann. Against Arsenal the space Ireland was finding will be occupied by Arteta. The main weakness will still be Santos, but he'll be up against Weimann who isn't an out and out winger, but a striker who'll look to get inside as much as possible. Regardless of how much space he finds on the inside, I don't see Villa having the space in the middle to create many - if any - clear cut chances. A good saver bet for this would be Benteke anytime (available at 11/4) as I see him being Villa's only real threat.

Re: Aston Villa v Arsenal > Saturday 24th November Santos definitely won't be starting mate. Wenger has been picking Vermaelen ahead of him at left back in recent weeks where he is not comfortable. Also first choice in that role Gibbs is back for this, may or may not start though. Ballsy bet nonetheless, we tend to be vulnerable away from home and have looked shaky in defence recently. I'll be surprised if we dont concede.

Santos definitely won't be starting mate. Wenger has been picking Vermaelen ahead of him at left back in recent weeks where he is not comfortable. Also first choice in that role Gibbs is back for this, may or may not start though. Ballsy bet nonetheless, we tend to be vulnerable away from home and have looked shaky in defence recently. I'll be surprised if we dont concede.
Thanks for the feedback. Where do you see Villa's main threat coming from?

Re: Aston Villa v Arsenal > Saturday 24th November As you mentioned, Benteke is the man to watch, looks like a poorer version of Drogba but a real handful. He absolutely manhandled Smalling when United went there. Looks like Bent returns(maybe to the bench) and he has a decent record against us over the years so there's another threat. Agbonlahor is one of these average pacey players who could cause a problem or two aswell. Villa's team looks quite horrid when I see it on paper but I think they'll be competitive. Right now I'm thinking an Arsenal win(i'll guess 2-1) with both teams scoring. Best of luck with your bet, I'm gonna swerve this one.

Re: Aston Villa v Arsenal > Saturday 24th November 4pts Over 3.5 goals 13/8 Bet365 Aston Villa definitely have goals in them with the likes of Christian Benteke, Darren Bent and Gabby Agbonlahor in their ranks and against an Arsenal defence which has shipped five goals in their last two Premier League games I certainly see Villa scoring in the game. Their defence is far from watertight though and is missing a couple of key players so it is hard to see them not conceding too so I think this will be another high scoring game. With the quality of attacking players on show in the game over 3.5 goals looks a fair bet to me. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/aston-villa-vs-arsenal-betting-two-sides-who-struggle-defensively-can-offer-up-plenty-of-goals-at-villa-park

Re: Aston Villa v Arsenal > Saturday 24th November I like the price on Arsenal here to be honest. You'd expect them to boss the game in midfield and their defense has held up well away from home this season. I don't rate this Aston Villa team at all and they've probably got one of the weakest squads in the league in my view. Granted they put up a good fight against Man United in their last home game, yet still lost in the end.

Re: Aston Villa v Arsenal > Saturday 24th November For me Giroud is the keyman here. An Aerial threat is something Arsenal never really had in the past. Correct me if I am wrong but my feeling with van Persie was that he did'nt score many headed goals. Giroud looks seriously good in the air, and gives the gunners an extra dimension that they did not have before. He's confident, and has found his path in the premiership.... I'm not sure what to make of that Villa v Man United performance. United just seem strangely sluggish, but when they got into 4th and 5th gear Villa had no answer. I agree that the Arsenal defense is better at the moment than the united one. Just cannot see villa breaking them down.... Villa have played 5 games lost twice ( Man U, Everton), drawn twice ( Norwich, WBA) and beat swansea 2-0. They are not scoring many, but are not getting taken to pieces either. This is a fixture that Arsenal have completely dominated, having not lost in 10 visits to Villa Park. They have won 6 and drawn 4 outscoring villa 17 to 8. Giroud anytime goalscorer and arsenal to win 2-0 is 15 to 1 on bet365. Neil.