** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

India vs England - Test Series

kevshat

The main chunk of England's international winter sees them go to India for a four test tour. It's Alastair Cook's first series in charge as the build up to the Ashes really begins here. All four tests are live on Sky in the UK although they're not at the easiest times to watch with 4am starts. Sure there will be plenty of opportunities to make some cash in this series and as it's our biggest series of the winter I'll get the thread up early. Schedule: [TABLE=width: 630]

[TR=class: FixOdi] [TD=width: 25%]Thu Nov 15 - Mon Nov 19 04:00 GMT | 09:30 local 04:00 GMT [/TD] [TD=width: 50%] 1st Test - India v England Sardar Patel Stadium, Motera, Ahmedabad [/TD] [TD=width: 20%]
N/A
[/TD] [TD=width: 5%, align: right] [/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD=width: 630, bgcolor: #FFFFFF, colspan: 4][/TD] [/TR] [TR=class: FixOdi] [TD=width: 25%] Fri Nov 23 - Tue Nov 27 04:00 GMT | 09:30 local 04:00 GMT [/TD] [TD=width: 50%] 2nd Test - India v England Wankhede Stadium, Mumbai [/TD] [TD=width: 20%]
N/A
[/TD] [TD=width: 5%, align: right] [/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD=width: 630, bgcolor: #FFFFFF, colspan: 4][/TD] [/TR] [TR=class: FixOdi] [TD=width: 25%] Wed Dec 5 - Sun Dec 9 03:30 GMT | 09:00 local 03:30 GMT [/TD] [TD=width: 50%] 3rd Test - India v England Eden Gardens, Kolkata [/TD] [TD=width: 20%]
N/A
[/TD] [TD=width: 5%, align: right] [/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD=width: 630, bgcolor: #FFFFFF, colspan: 4][/TD] [/TR] [TR=class: FixOdi] [TD=width: 25%] Thu Dec 13 - Mon Dec 17 04:00 GMT | 09:30 local 04:00 GMT [/TD] [TD=width: 50%] 4th Test - India v England Vidarbha Cricket Association Stadium, Jamtha, Nagpur [/TD] [TD=width: 20%]
N/A
[/TD] [TD=width: 5%, align: right] [/TD] [/TR] [/TABLE]

• 2 weeks later...

Re: India vs England - Test Series Series preview: 4pts England (+1.5 matches) to beat India 8/11 Bet365 At the end of the day this series will come down to how England play the spinners but with Pietersen having hit a ton in the warm up matches and Patel playing very well along with the likes of Bell and Compton who play spin well there’s enough to suggest England will compete hard in this series and if they do that I think their bowlers can keep them close throughout the series, close enough to cover the +1.5 match handicap. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/india-vs-england-test-series-betting-india-have-a-few-weaknesses-england-can-exploit-in-the-test-series

Re: India vs England - Test Series

Series preview: 4pts England (+1.5 matches) to beat India 8/11 Bet365 At the end of the day this series will come down to how England play the spinners but with Pietersen having hit a ton in the warm up matches and Patel playing very well along with the likes of Bell and Compton who play spin well there’s enough to suggest England will compete hard in this series and if they do that I think their bowlers can keep them close throughout the series, close enough to cover the +1.5 match handicap. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/india-vs-england-test-series-betting-india-have-a-few-weaknesses-england-can-exploit-in-the-test-series
Not sure if this is for the First Test or for the Series? IMO India to win series. India will win this series, expect crumbling turners from Day 1. This is India. Welcome.:ok Fletcher has been involved with all the First Class games, England have played in and made sure they are exposed to "friendly" batting decks and not exposed to any spinners of any note, Mishra was instructed to not bowl in the 2nd Innings and bowl very little in the first. When he bowled the English Batsmen crumbled like a pack of cards to a spinner that will not play in the first or second tests. Yuvraj a solid average spinner at best took 5 wickets in their first match in the first innings, England will struggle on these pitches when facing world class spin bowlers in Ashwin, and Bhaji. I do expect India to play two spinners in the matches and that will spell trouble for the English batsmen. India's batsmen are renowned for one thing and that is scoring big in India. While posting massive scores expect the next phase to involve their spinners creating mayhem on turning decks. It wouldnt suprise me if India go in with 5 bowlers such is the nature of sub-continent pitches. Ashwin and Harbhajan have test centuries to their names. With Dhoni as the 6th batsmen India will beat IMO deep on 'these' pitches. If India bat first in the first test, arguably the game will be over and I would expect the price on the win to drop markedly although it may be best if betting on this game to wait for the toss result. England are not without their chances here, but with pitches offering nothing to the fast bowlers it is no surprise to see how they can win a match. Important to note England's poor form in the subcontinent in facing spinners in the last 5 years too.

Re: India vs England - Test Series England defeated india at home then crumbled against pakistan in subcontinent conditions. But I am sure they would have learnt their lesson as it was many months ago, and they had ample time to prepare. plus the t20 worldcup tournament in the subcontinent must have helped them.

Re: India vs England - Test Series Series top bat previews: 2pts N.Compton Top England Series Batsman 13/2 Coral (1/5 1-3) Compton has a wonderful technique and is mentally strong and is a patient batsman which is what England need in these conditions. By opening the innings he’ll get the best of the wickets England play on and will face some seam which I expect England to tuck into throughout the series. Given that he opens the innings he has the potential to bat for a long as he wants and at 13/2 I think he’s a standout each way bet for England in this series. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/india-vs-england-test-series-betting-nick-compton-can-top-score-for-england-in-his-debut-series 2pts C.Pujara Top India Series Batsman 11/2 Betfred Cheteshwar Pujara batted at three in the recent series with New Zealand and filled his boots with 150 in the first test to ensure he is likely to stay there in this series. He has already scored runs against this England attack in a warm up match a couple of weeks ago and has scored heavily for India B in a one day series since the New Zealand series. He looks a batsman in fine form at the minute and given England won’t know too much about him he could be the one to slip under their radar and be the biggest thorn in their side throughout this eagerly anticipated test series. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/india-vs-england-test-series-betting-cheteshwar-pujara-could-slip-under-england-s-radar-in-test-series

Re: India vs England - Test Series 1st test preview: 4pts K.Pietersen's Performance Pts - 81&Over 5/6 Bet365 With the signs being that this wicket will turn it wouldn’t surprise me if England turn to Kevin Pietersen to trundle his arm over at some point in this match and were that to be the case it would add some value to taking him to cover a performance total of 81pts. Realistically he can cover that in two innings with the bat and maybe the odd catch anyway but with the extra chance of 20pts per wicket that total becomes much more manageable and one which I expect to see covered. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/india-vs-england-1st-test-betting-kevin-pietersen-can-go-well-on-his-return-to-the-england-side

Re: India vs England - Test Series Full set of outrights. Note I've taken Compton at 9/1 with Sportingbet with the same ew terms.

Series preview: 4pts England (+1.5 matches) to beat India 8/11 Bet365 At the end of the day this series will come down to how England play the spinners but with Pietersen having hit a ton in the warm up matches and Patel playing very well along with the likes of Bell and Compton who play spin well there’s enough to suggest England will compete hard in this series and if they do that I think their bowlers can keep them close throughout the series, close enough to cover the +1.5 match handicap. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/india-vs-england-test-series-betting-india-have-a-few-weaknesses-england-can-exploit-in-the-test-series
Series top bat previews: 2pts N.Compton Top England Series Batsman 13/2 Coral (1/5 1-3) Compton has a wonderful technique and is mentally strong and is a patient batsman which is what England need in these conditions. By opening the innings he’ll get the best of the wickets England play on and will face some seam which I expect England to tuck into throughout the series. Given that he opens the innings he has the potential to bat for a long as he wants and at 13/2 I think he’s a standout each way bet for England in this series. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/india-vs-england-test-series-betting-nick-compton-can-top-score-for-england-in-his-debut-series 2pts C.Pujara Top India Series Batsman 11/2 Betfred Cheteshwar Pujara batted at three in the recent series with New Zealand and filled his boots with 150 in the first test to ensure he is likely to stay there in this series. He has already scored runs against this England attack in a warm up match a couple of weeks ago and has scored heavily for India B in a one day series since the New Zealand series. He looks a batsman in fine form at the minute and given England won’t know too much about him he could be the one to slip under their radar and be the biggest thorn in their side throughout this eagerly anticipated test series. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/india-vs-england-test-series-betting-cheteshwar-pujara-could-slip-under-england-s-radar-in-test-series
4pts A.Cook Under 309.5 series runs 5/6 Sportingbet Alastair Cook's runs line in this series looks a shade high to me here. He only scored 348 runs in six innings in the series over here last summer and when you think 294 of them came in one innings there's mileage for thinking this line is too high especially as conditions aren't as likely to be to his liking in this series. If you take that 294 out his average against India would be way below 40 so this isn't an attack he revels against and I can understand that. If you throw in the pressures of captaincy in a big series too there's enough to suggest Cook whilst he may not struggle, might find 310 runs beyond him in a maximum of 8 innings so I'll take the unders here. 1pt S.Patel Top England Series Bowler 20/1 Blue Square Samit Patel can't possibly be 20/1 to be England's top wicket taker in this series surely?! While I fully expect Graeme Swann to be the top wicket taker Patel is never 10 times more likely and in fact given that I expect a lot of turning wickets in this series you could easily make a case for Patel to be the second favourite, third favourite if England go against their three seamer policy and pick Monty Panesar. One thing in Patel's favour in this series is India have a lot of right handed batsmen in their line up so Patel will be turning the ball away from them whereas Graeme Swann turns it into them and we've seen him struggle at times against the right handers as opposed to the left handers. At 20/1 a small stake has to be thrown at Samit just to see how close he can push Swann in the series.

Re: India vs England - Test Series 3 for me in the opening test.

1st test preview: 4pts K.Pietersen's Performance Pts - 81&Over 5/6 Bet365 With the signs being that this wicket will turn it wouldn’t surprise me if England turn to Kevin Pietersen to trundle his arm over at some point in this match and were that to be the case it would add some value to taking him to cover a performance total of 81pts. Realistically he can cover that in two innings with the bat and maybe the odd catch anyway but with the extra chance of 20pts per wicket that total becomes much more manageable and one which I expect to see covered. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/india-vs-england-1st-test-betting-kevin-pietersen-can-go-well-on-his-return-to-the-england-side
4pts P.Ojha Over 2.5 1st Inns wickets Evs Ladbrokes Pragyan Ojha is the favoured spinner for me here because he will be turning the ball away from the right handers which England suddenly have a fair few of so I like that element to his bowling. We've seen KP have all sorts of trouble with left arm spinners and England have surrendered to Abdur Rehman and Rangana Herath in recent series and they are both left arm spinners too so I prefer Ojha over Ashwin in this series I think. Dhoni reckons this wicket is as dry as anything he's ever seen in Ahmedabad and if that is the case then I wouldn't be surprised if we see some exaggerated turn even on the opening day of the match. India seem to think producing some bunsens in this series will be the way forward and if that's the case then Ojha should enjoy himself and bag at least three first innings scalps. 1pt ew S.Patel Top England Batsman (1st Inns Only) 12/1 Coral (1/5 1,2,3) Samit Patel looks a good price to have a good first innings here. He should be batting at 6 in this series which will be beneficial for him. We've seen in the warm up matches that the middle of his bat is well oiled and that innings against Sri Lanka in the World T20 can have done his confidence against top spinners no harm. Samit has always wanted to cement his place in the test side and a good series with the bat here should see him in the box seat going to New Zealand. I haven't taken him to top score in the series because of where he bats which will probably hamper him over 8 innings but I do think he'll go well and he can confirm that optimism by top scoring first time around in Ahmedabad.

Re: India vs England - Test Series Nice call Kevshat about Pieterson, your right he may just get a wicket and plus its likely he may bat twice too! In relation to India's performance so far, Phase 1 is about to be completed and a score of 500-550 is what they will aim to be after. Then the torment by the twin spin attack will take place. I cant see India playing 5 bowlers regardless of their batting strengths at home, Dhoni would prefer the defensive approach and I cant see 5 bowlers played unless of course they struggle badly in the bowling department. But with Sehwag and Yuvraj more than capable of bowling, this would cover the need for a 5th bowler.

Re: India vs England - Test Series OK things so far have gone according to plan. I expect England will make less than 322 however Dhoni will NOT enforce the follow on, chasing even a small score of 150 in the fourth innings will be challenging, so I anticipate he will look to have a lead of around 350-400. Sehwag will be the key to this along with Yuvraj to score quickly to give India enough time to collect 10 wickets. I expect Ojha to bag a few wickets in the fourth innings with the pitch deteriorating the way it is and Ashwin will deliver some knock out blows.

Re: India vs England - Test Series Dhoni should not have enforced the follow on, it was a huge mistake and IMO will prepare England well for Test 2. England will take a lot of comfort scoring 400 in the 3rd innings. It was madness making England bat again, should have batted England out of the game and then hunted them down. IMO the bowlers were tired which probably contributed to them scoring 400. BY having a lead of around 550 would have been demoralising and its about winning the series and not just this match.

Re: India vs England - Test Series 2nd test preview: 4pts C.Pujara (-1.5 runs) to beat J.Trott (1st Inns Only) 5/6 Ladbrokes We saw in the first test both how good a player Pujara is and how in form he is at the minute whereas Trott isn’t in great form and looked pretty poor in the first test in both innings. Pujara outscored him in both innings in the first test and I see no reason why he won’t do the same in the first innings here. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/india-vs-england-2nd-test-betting-cheteshwar-pujara-can-continue-to-go-well-in-mumbai

Re: India vs England - Test Series Adding one to this one for the second test.

2nd test preview: 4pts C.Pujara (-1.5 runs) to beat J.Trott (1st Inns Only) 5/6 Ladbrokes We saw in the first test both how good a player Pujara is and how in form he is at the minute whereas Trott isn’t in great form and looked pretty poor in the first test in both innings. Pujara outscored him in both innings in the first test and I see no reason why he won’t do the same in the first innings here. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/india-vs-england-2nd-test-betting-cheteshwar-pujara-can-continue-to-go-well-in-mumbai
1pt ew E.Morgan Top England Batsman (1st Inns Only) 8/1 Ladbrokes (1/5 1,2,3) Eoin Morgan looks like replacing Ian Bell in the England side for this match and assuming he does he looks to be a big price because he can genuinely play spin and not only play spin but he has shots where he can score from it and score quickly too which could be an advantage if he's batting with someone like Cook or Compton. We saw in the first test that a couple of those above him look out of touch both in form and against spin so there's every chance he'll come in with a place target quite low. The fact he's left handed means he'll be playing Ojha with the spin to the leg side which is a lot easier and with Ashwin looking a little less dangerous than Ojha in the first test I think a left hander should go well here. At 8/1 given that he looks like he'll bat at 5 I think Morgan is a decent enough each way punt here.

• 2 weeks later...

Re: India vs England - Test Series Third test preview: 4pts K.Pietersen (-1.5 runs) to beat S.Tendulkar (1st Inns Only) 5/6 Ladbrokes The bet I like in this third test is for Kevin Pietersen to outscore Sachin Tendulkar by at least two runs in the first innings. So far in the series Tendulkar has made scores of 13, 8 and 8 and he hasn’t looked particularly good in any of those matches. Kevin Pietersen had a wobbly first test but looked imperious in the second test and I expect him to go well here too. He’s outscored Sachin in both first innings in the series so far and I’ll take him to complete the hat trick here. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/india-vs-england-3rd-test-betting-kevin-pietersen-can-use-his-mumbai-form-and-beat-tendulkar-in-first-innings

Re: India vs England - Test Series Going with a few in the third test.....

Third test preview: 4pts K.Pietersen (-1.5 runs) to beat S.Tendulkar (1st Inns Only) 5/6 Ladbrokes The bet I like in this third test is for Kevin Pietersen to outscore Sachin Tendulkar by at least two runs in the first innings. So far in the series Tendulkar has made scores of 13, 8 and 8 and he hasn’t looked particularly good in any of those matches. Kevin Pietersen had a wobbly first test but looked imperious in the second test and I expect him to go well here too. He’s outscored Sachin in both first innings in the series so far and I’ll take him to complete the hat trick here. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/india-vs-england-3rd-test-betting-kevin-pietersen-can-use-his-mumbai-form-and-beat-tendulkar-in-first-innings
4pts P.Ojha Over 3.5 1st Inns Wickets 11/10 Ladbrokes Pragyan Ojha has been India's best bowler in this series by a long way and I still think he'll be the main danger for the Indians in this test match. If anything he should go even better in this match because there is already rough on the wicket which Zaheer Khan will only increase for him to land the ball in and turn the ball away from England's right handers. R Ashwin hasn't bowled like he can in this series so far while Harbhajan is a spent force and isn't likely to play anyway. Zaheer Khan and Ishant Sharma shouldn't get enough overs to take multiple wickets to stop Ojha so I expect Ojha to take at least four first innings wickets for the third time in the series. 4pts S.Finn to beat I.Sharma (1st Inns Wickets) 11/8 Ladbrokes Steven Finn has shown in the past that he can bowl well in these Indian conditions and I think he will get something out of this wicket with his pace and bounce. Indian batsmen have never liked pace and bounce so I think he can trouble the Indian top order in this match. England have seen plenty of Ishant Sharma now and you wouldn't expect him to be a factor in this match. Dhoni doesn't bowl his seamers for very long in innings in India so immediately Sharma is at a disadvantage. Finn will bowl more overs and with certain members of the Indian top order not in the greatest form I think he can get some breakthroughs which allow him to beat the returning Ishant Sharma in the first innings here. 1pt ew MS Dhoni Top India Batsman (1st Inns Only) 14/1 Ladbrokes (1/5 1,2,3) MS Dhoni has a sensational record at Eden Gardens and that could well inspire him to go well in this match. He has two centuries and a 50 in four innings on this ground including centuries in his last two innings here so he clearly enjoys the surroundings of the inspirational Kolkata venue. He isn't perhaps in the best form going into this match which would be a slight concern but really and truly it is only Pujara in this Indian side who looks reliable for runs at the minute so it isn't perhaps the concern it could be. Dhoni has claimed the seamers will get something out of the wicket with the new ball which could take care of the top order and with the series in such a delicate state it could be up to India's captain to get them back on track. Even on a road he shouldn't be a 14/1 shot to top score in any innings but there's even more reasons to suggest the price is too big here.

Re: India vs England - Test Series 4th test preview: 4pts England to win 4th test 9/4 Bet365 England have completely dominated the last two test matches with their bowling attack being unplayable at times and I see nothing different happening here either. Monty Panesar has been a revelation since he has been recalled to the side and the rest of the England bowling attack have upped their game too. India’s spinners have looked toothless in the last two matches and their batting line up has no answer to England’s bowlers and I expect the visitors to win the series in style by winning this fourth test. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/india-vs-england-4th-test-betting-england-can-continue-their-recent-dominance-over-india-in-the-final-test

Re: India vs England - Test Series Four for me in this one.

4th test preview: 4pts England to win 4th test 9/4 Bet365 England have completely dominated the last two test matches with their bowling attack being unplayable at times and I see nothing different happening here either. Monty Panesar has been a revelation since he has been recalled to the side and the rest of the England bowling attack have upped their game too. India’s spinners have looked toothless in the last two matches and their batting line up has no answer to England’s bowlers and I expect the visitors to win the series in style by winning this fourth test. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/india-vs-england-4th-test-betting-england-can-continue-their-recent-dominance-over-india-in-the-final-test
4pts R.Ashwin's Performance Pts - 119&Over 5/6 Bet365 Points are scored as follows: 1pt per run, 10pts per catch & 20pts per wicket. R Ashwin finally got some confidence with the ball towards the end of the last test match and that confidence along with his batting should see him go well in this match. Ashwin has arguably looked their most assured batsman after Pujara and it would be no surprise if he gets stuck in with the bat again in this match as he's gone well in all three games so far. With his off spin finally showing something I would expect him to pick up a few wickets in this match too and to be honest he could cover this total with bat or ball over two innings. 3-4 wickets and 39-59 runs is an average game for him these days so I think he'll cover 119pts for the third match in succession. 3pts M.Panesar Over 3.5 1st Inns Wickets 6/4 Ladbrokes Monty Panesar has been a breath of fresh air for England in this series and India's right handers just don't have an answer for him be it Sehwag, Tendulkar or Pujara and so I expect the Montster to go very well again here. Monty has taken more than three wickets in both first innings he's played in this series so far and with Steven Finn looking doubtful and his possible replacement Tim Bresnan chucking down more pies than a Pukka Pie shop I would expect Monty to be England's main man again especially with all the talk of a dry wicket which could turn as early as the opening day. 1pt ew R.Jadeja Top India Batsman (1st Inns Only) 8/1 Ladbrokes (1/5 1-3) Ravindra Jadeja isn't a certainty to start but you get the feeling he's a like for like replacement for Yuvraj Singh with his left arm spin and his left arm batting and playing him ahead of Rahane would allow MS Dhoni to pick a second seamer to balance his attack out a little bit. If Jadeja does play then this 8/1 is a very big price because he comes into this match with two triple centuries under his belt in the Ranji Trophy inside the last month and a couple of half centuries to go along with it too. Aside from Pujara, who has gone a little scratchy himself in the last 2-3 innings, nobody above him in the batting line up is looking like a world beater at the minute so Jadeja could easily top score from number six especially with Dhoni and Ashwin genuine batsmen after him for him to forge partnerships with. This 8/1 looks a good each way bet to me.

Re: India vs England - Test Series Not a great start for England today, India will be the happier of the 2 teams. But of course there is still a long way to go. I feel that this match is now set up for the draw. If Root and Prior can bat out the first 2/3 hours tomorrow and our tailenders can add a few runs then that will put England in a decent position. India are under pressure to win this match, England just need a draw. India will need to post a sizeable score on there first innings (which they are capable of doing) and hope to get England out fairly cheaply in their second, which I don't see happening. England seem to be taking their time knocking the runs today, lots of overs bowled but not many runs. All this leads me to believe a draw is the most likely result and I think a price of 9/4 at William Hill & Coral is decent enough for me to take. 5pts

Re: India vs England - Test Series 2pts R. Ashwin top India batsman - 4th test, 1st innings 25.00 Boylesport Nice bit of value here I feel. I think there will be some early wickets with Monty and Swann fresh and ready to go and England most likely only managing around 300 odd. We could see someone lower down the list stay put and hit a 100 odd. Ashin hit a 21 in the first innings last time out but then a 91 not out in the second and I'm hoping here the form will continue. Well worth the odds here.

Re: India vs England - Test Series England won the four match Test series 2-1 as the final Test ended in a draw in Nagpur. This is England's first series in India in 28 years. They last won it here in 1984-85. what wil be you think its great time for india or not?:wall