Group G > Oct 23 (Barcelona, Benfica, Celtic, Spartak Moscow)

Re: Group G > Oct 23 (Barcelona, Benfica, Celtic, Spartak Moscow) Barcelona v Celtic - Obviously Barca are massive favourites here but with their entire 1st choice defence missing I think Celtic have a chance to score. The best way to back this would appear to be on the spread betting. 2 of the most likely Celtic goalscorers would appear to be Hooper and Wanyama who wear the number 88 and 67 shirts respectively. Consequently I have bought Celtic shirts with SPIN at 19.

Re: Group G > Oct 23 (Barcelona, Benfica, Celtic, Spartak Moscow)

Had one palped by them before and in fairness got an email from them before KO' date=' advising of new price and to contact them if I didn't want it to run.[/quote'] Thank you I will check my email!!

I have to admit, the odds on Benfica do look pretty appealing. Spartak have now won one of their last fifth teen home Champions League group games, and were poor last time out in the CL against Celtic. Benfica should have slightly better strength than when they took on Celtic, especially with Cardozo making his return at the weekend. I do think all the pressure is on Spartak as they simply must get a result against Benfica. Spartak LAY @ 2.94 - Betfair.

Re: Group G > Oct 23 (Barcelona, Benfica, Celtic, Spartak Moscow) Okay barca have a lot more quality than Celtic but that does not justify Celtic being available at about 40/1! 5 scored and a clean sheet at the weekend, allbeit in the SPL but then theres barca 5 scored, 4 against them from a far weaker side in la liga. Bigger shocks have happened, 10/1 i would not bet, but at 40/1 its worth a punt. Celtic go with no pressure, noone expecting a result with barca on the other hand expected to destroy celtic. Safe bet for me would be both teams to score but i also genuinely believe it will be a close game in terms of goals so will back celtic and the draw. A lot of people writing Celtic off, saw someone say they are not a footballing team???? Have you all watched celtic this season? Started pretty poor but lennon has developed a strong hardworking team and I can only see this celtic side getting stroner. bara handicaps -3 are silly imo, celtic wont get destroyed, we will be playing for the point as there is a good chance of us going through to knockouts and a point in the nou camp is huge but very do-able. :cigar

Re: Group G > Oct 23 (Barcelona, Benfica, Celtic, Spartak Moscow) Better value in just laying Barcelona draw no bet smokeit34... In saying that though Barcelona are winning this game, they may be weak defensively just now, but I am a supporter of celtic and you still need quality to score goals and take chances, celtic will not be able to do this. Barcelona will win this game by 3 or more goals I reckon. I have opted to go for over 3.5 goals in this games - Have also backed Man Utd -1 goal, and Bayern Munich game to be over 2.5 goals...

Re: Group G > Oct 23 (Barcelona, Benfica, Celtic, Spartak Moscow) You're right about laying barca or barca dnb but not using betfair. I dont know how you can say celtic dont have the quality to score, they have goalscorers and with a weakened barca defence Celtic will score. Also a celtic fan have tickets to all home champions league games and go to or watch leaugue games when i can. Have a lot of belief in this team, they have improved as games go by and look a good team in the making

Okay barca have a lot more quality than Celtic but that does not justify Celtic being available at about 40/1! . :cigar
It is actually very justified. 40/1 will attract some people to bet money on Celtic, indeed small money, but if many people try it with small money, it will at least partially off-set the losses for the bookies due to Barca's win. If the odds for Celtic were lower, it would be just all the money going in Barca's favor, and the bookies suffering heavy blow (their only profits will be supposedly from some bigger handicaps which Barca won't cover). And in case the unthinkable happens and Celtic wins, the bookies will be celebrating despite the 40/1 price - it is just that too much money have gone in Barca's direction.

Re: Group G > Oct 23 (Barcelona, Benfica, Celtic, Spartak Moscow) Fair point fedar but barca wont win by the 10 goals people think they wont cover a -3 handicap anyway. Spartak winning means more to play for, 2nd, 2points clear and a game in hand atm Sure to be an enjoyable game, beers in, feet up GL :cigar

Re: Group G > Oct 23 (Barcelona, Benfica, Celtic, Spartak Moscow) I could not bet against Celtic smokeit, why I opted for the over 3.5 goals, even though could be 4-0 Barca lol, just hoping for a great game, ideal outcome will be barca 1 celtic 3 :D Just cant seen celtic getting any points from this match at all, I so hope I am wrong, as long as it aint a 0-1 or 0-2 or 1-2 win :p

I am! Barcelona have virtually their whole defence out - Puyol, Pique, Alves and Abidal all out and Busquets is suspended! Will be Mascherano and Song at the back for Barca, I actually think there is a chance Celtic can score here, although Barca will almost certainly win, depends if Celtic can force any attacks with the 12 touches of the ball they will have..:lol Hooper anytime Barca Win - 26.0 - hills - 0.5 Points Samaras anytime Barca Win - 26.0 - hills - 0.5 Points Wanyama anytime Barca Win - 26.0 - hills - 0.5 Points
Well done mate! I was so tempted all day to put a bit more cash in my account but would have only gone for Hooper. Nice to see you have a bit more sense than me! 25/1 winner!!

Considering Barcelona are often around 1.04-1.05 against La Liga sides who are surely a fair bit better than Celtic' date=' 1.10 (with Stan James) looks good value here and I have put a 10/10 stake on the home win.[/quote'] Never in doubt! Fair play to Celtic, I didn't think they had that performance in them. Probably deserved a draw based on effort and organisation alone. Barca were frustrating to watch. They look like they need someone like Llorente (or Berbatov or even Peter Crouch!) to give them a different option, they have nothing in the air at all and all those corners basically go to waste as they end up with the ball on the halfway line. It may be against their ethos but a strong, skilful forward who can hold the ball up & win headers may free up some space for Messi, Iniesta et al.

I am! Barcelona have virtually their whole defence out - Puyol, Pique, Alves and Abidal all out and Busquets is suspended! Will be Mascherano and Song at the back for Barca, I actually think there is a chance Celtic can score here, although Barca will almost certainly win, depends if Celtic can force any attacks with the 12 touches of the ball they will have..:lol Hooper anytime Barca Win - 26.0 - hills - 0.5 Points Samaras anytime Barca Win - 26.0 - hills - 0.5 Points Wanyama anytime Barca Win - 26.0 - hills - 0.5 Points
Is it counting as a Samaras goal or an own goal? Really hope the former. Good shouts anyhow from you and AVFC Luke.

Is it counting as a Samaras goal or an own goal? Really hope the former. Good shouts anyhow from you and AVFC Luke.
Just checked and Hills have payed out! Didn't get to watch it as I was out for dinner but reading the report it seemed like an own goal so happy it came in..not often you get a 25/1 shout in the football threads..:lol

Never in doubt! Fair play to Celtic, I didn't think they had that performance in them. Probably deserved a draw based on effort and organisation alone. Barca were frustrating to watch. They look like they need someone like Llorente (or Berbatov or even Peter Crouch!) to give them a different option, they have nothing in the air at all and all those corners basically go to waste as they end up with the ball on the halfway line. It may be against their ethos but a strong, skilful forward who can hold the ball up & win headers may free up some space for Messi, Iniesta et al.
It is unreal how Barcelona just refuses to play any sort of direct football. Not a single time for the whole game I saw a Barca winger trying to charge the full-backs of Celtic - they would just bring the ball back to the center over and over again. No crosses, no shooting, just passes and passes. Get the feeling that if other teams weren't so afraid of them and managed to close them down, Barcelona can have tremendous problems. Celtic anyway totally deserved a point.

It is unreal how Barcelona just refuses to play any sort of direct football. Not a single time for the whole game I saw a Barca winger trying to charge the full-backs of Celtic - they would just bring the ball back to the center over and over again. No crosses' date=' no shooting, just passes and passes. [b']Get the feeling that if other teams weren't so afraid of them and managed to close them down, Barcelona can have tremendous problems. Celtic anyway totally deserved a point.
On that showing I would agree, however sometimes when you watch Barca they play for the whole game like they did in small patches tonight (for instance Iniesta's goal) and they look unstoppable. However, like you say they have no plan B and I think they would be more effective if they could vary things more. Celtic certainly got their tactics right, a better counter attacking side could have won the game, they had 2 vs 2 a few times in the second half but didn't make anything of it.

Re: Group G > Oct 23 (Barcelona, Benfica, Celtic, Spartak Moscow) They tried that with Ibrahimovic though and it never worked as it 'forces' the side to have a traditional no.9 and then Messi has to work around him and you don't want the best player ever to have played the game to have to work around someone else, and you don't want the best team in Europe changing their style. They aren't going to be on top of their game every week, I didn't watch tonight but I understand they dominated and it was just a case of trying to break Celtic down, always difficult to get through 10 defenders. I understand what you are saying regarding a 'plan b' but it would change the way they play to accommodate him and I can't see that happening anytime soon. They don't need to hit top gear for another 4 months, and no doubt they will get to the CL final again.

Re: Group G > Oct 23 (Barcelona, Benfica, Celtic, Spartak Moscow) I remember Porto-Barcelona a super cup final few years back. Porto lost 2-0 if I amnot wrong. At that match well know Barcelona was easily stopped and matters of time would conceed but one mistake just one mistake defender's worng back pass dropped infront of Messi and game came to 1-0 then everything had changed before Porto reacted. At that match I realized Porto's defenders never left the penalty area line even the ball was between sideline and penalty area. They werenot afraid of any treats from those areas coz of Barcelona didnt have any aerial danger. So they stuck in their place and didnt give any chance from the middle. Which is Barcelona's best weapon with fast passings between İniesta ,Xavi and Messi orgainize. Still think that is the best tactic if any team wanna stop Barcelona and keep clean sheet.

Super shouts by you and AVFCLuke :clap

I don't follow La Liga much' date=' but without doing some research I have found some decent bets here. Barcelona conceded 2 at home against Spartak and 4 against Deportivo in their recent game, but still Both to Score @ 2.67, [b']Celtic +3 @ 2.05 are priced more than Over 2.5 Goals @ 1.30 and Over 3.5 Goals @ 1.73.
Some of your early 'gut feeling' tips on European games are excellent Mustafa :clap