Liverpool v Man City > Sun 26 August

Re: Liverpool v Man City > Sun 26 August Only 1 bet for me this weekend, and that is on Manchester City. Liverpool could not have asked for a worse opening set of fixtures. West Brom away on the opening day where they got crushed 3-0 and were awful defensively. Next up is Man City at home, then Arsenal at home, Sunderland away and Man United at home. Does not get tougher than that. Daniel Agger got sent off against West Brom, so he misses the city game, and that is a huge loss for Liverpool, as i don't know if Carragher has the pace anymore. Skrtel was also very dodgy, and Enrique has a knock at the moment so possibly may not play. Defensively, i am very worried for Liverpool. City started off with a more competitive game than many people predicted. They beat Southampton 3-2, and the Saints played very well, but City did create an awful lot of chances, and with the Liverpool defence in disarray, they should have enough to score a couple of Anfield. Even though Aguero is likely to be out with an injury, City still have Adebayor, Tevez, Balotelli and Dzeko to choose from. Micah Richards is still out, as is Gareth Barry, but City have great strength in depth coming into the Liverpool game. I really do see a City win coming, and they will be my only bet of the weekend. To have any chance, i feel Liverpool needed a full strength defence. City are strong all over the pitch, and even though Southampton rattled them at the Etihad, i have no doubt they will be up to the task at Anfield. I think 7/5 is a very fair price. *Manchester City - 10 Points WIN @ 7/5 Coral*

I'd argue here that the odds look favourably on Manchester city because they haven't beaten Liverpool at anfield since 2003. And even before that their record here doesn't prove particularly good reading. I think as well over Liverpool's purely subjective decline they've tended to up their game a notch or two against the so called bigger clubs. Still beating united while generally faltering in their league placing, as an example. I would hypothesise this is because They kind of still think of themselves as top four, and the players they have there are all still big name, and a lot come with big price tags. They are understandably going to be going through a bit of a transitional stage, with Brendan Rodgers hopefully being given enough time to change things around, as Liverpool don't fully have the playing contingent capable of playing his style yet. Over 2.5 goals is priced at just above evens, which would be my pick. Manchester city showed yet more complacency at the weekend, and basically turned the game on its head courtesy of having the better players. You would have to think that city are likely to give the Liverpool offensive line enough opportunities, and although they struggled in that department Against WBA, I think at home against city they should be given enough chances to take at least one. Liverpool were poor defensively at the weekend, and will be without key defenders. They look a shadow of the side they were with a carragher in his prime, and Sami hyppia at the back. Overs would be my call as I think city are going to often underestimate the opposition this season, which could ultimately be their undoing. I also wouldn't get too carried away in thinking that The 3-0 loss to WBA was somehow a sign of things to come. It is best to remember that it was only the first day, and Liverpool were kind of undone by some poor finishing and a couple of debatable penalty decisions , which knocked them for six. They also had as many shots as WBA, and on another day, maybe, the game would have ended differently. In liverpool's favour.

Re: Liverpool v Man City > Sun 26 August

Overs would be my call as I think city are going to often underestimate the opposition this season, which could ultimately be their undoing......
They would be incredibly stupid to be thinking that way. They may have won the title by the skin of their teeth but they've conceded 6 goals in their last three competitive games (two of them against lowly opposition). I know footballers have a well-earned reputation for being dumb but If they think they can carry on defending like that and win the league, then they'd have to be dumber than Jade and Joey Barton's lovechild.

Re: Liverpool v Man City > Sun 26 August I actually think there's some value on Liverpool, and generally I dont think it's a great idea to back the top sides at Anfield, depending on the prices of course. Their deficiencies are obvious and Agger is suspended now but Liverpool tend to get results(or not lose at least) at home to big sides by using the crowd, bridging the quality gap with workrate and endeavour, discipline. City are also far more vulnerable away from home rather than the Etihad(not surprising) and I wasnt overly impressed by them agaisnt Southampton. Aguero injured aswell is worth noting. Right now I'd say draw is my gut feeling, will monitor the prices over the week and wait for team news later on. Think Pool have Europa League on Thursday at Hearts so might be worth seeing who plays there.

An issue I would have in backing City is that Mancini would most likely be happy with a point here' date=' and may set up accordingly.[/quote'] I personally don't see that being the case, especially with Liverpool's frailties at the back this weekend. He has nothing to be afraid of really, a dodgy defence, a useless unproductive winger in Downing, Joe Allen in midfield and Suarez up front who's goal to chance ratio is horrendous. I don't think he will go out for a draw, he will go out to win. What's the point in investing a billion quid into a club if your going to settle for a draw against the worst Liverpool team for the past couple of decades? Even if he does set up a bit defensively, his main aim will be 3 points.

Re: Liverpool v Man City > Sun 26 August Apart from Suarez i just cant see Liverpool been able to create anything in this game. Their best chance would be to play Carrol and hope they get lucky from crosses and hoofing it upfield. But we all know that wont happen.

Re: Liverpool v Man City > Sun 26 August At Swansea last year brendon Rodgers played just one way! He never really had a plan b! If he plays this way against man city I can see it being an easy day at the office for man city! The way to beat man city is getting the wingers behind the full backs which Liverpool don't do So easy man city win

At Swansea last year brendon Rodgers played just one way! He never really had a plan b! If he plays this way against man city I can see it being an easy day at the office for man city! The way to beat man city is getting the wingers behind the full backs which Liverpool don't do So easy man city win
I don't believe that's strictly true is it? Liverpool have pretty effective wingers in downing. Last night Raheem sterling was constantly getting beyond the fullbacks... When glen Johnson plays he spends a fair amount of time marauding down the right flank. Whether or not they will get any joy against city is another issue....

I don't believe that's strictly true is it? Liverpool have pretty effective wingers in downing. Last night Raheem sterling was constantly getting beyond the fullbacks... When glen Johnson plays he spends a fair amount of time marauding down the right flank. Whether or not they will get any joy against city is another issue....
Jase, whatever you call Downing, please don't call him effective, because he is the polar opposite to that word. He is the most useless unproductive winger in the league. 37 league games, 0 goals, 0 assists. The most abysmal record i have ever seen for a winger. Not to have a single goal or a single assist in 37 league games is just laughable, especially as a wingers job is to get crosses in to set up goals.

Re: Liverpool v Man City > Sun 26 August I agree, but wasnt there an opta stat published somewhere on here that identified him as the most productive winger in the league? In terms of crosses made, or accurate crosses. Or runs past opponent. I can't remember the exact stat. It's somewhere on the liverpool thread. Whatever you or I think of him he can still get beyond the fullbacks, which was the point I was making. The above stat was from his time at villa... Obviously since then he's not matched things.

I agree' date=' but wasnt there an opts stat published somewhere on here that identified him as the most productive winger in the league? In terms of crosses made, or accurate crosses. Or runs past opponent. I can't remember the exact stat. It's somewhere on the liverpool thread.[/quote'] But if you put Usain Bolt on a pitch with a football, he could run past anyone Jase, doesn't make him a good footballer. The only stats that are relevant for a winger imo is surely goals and assists, and not to have 1 single goal or 1 single assist in so many games is absolutely shocking. In my opinion, he is the least effective winger in the premiership.

Re: Liverpool v Man City > Sun 26 August Surely not having the assists is also linked to how effective the striker is at finishing the chances created? We all know how poor Liverpool have been in front of goal over the last year. I think we also need to look at further stats to establish the bigger picture, because all a winger can do is lay the chances on for an attacker. Whether those chances are converted is another issue.

Surely not having the assists is also linked to how effective the striker is at finishing the chances created? We all know how poor Liverpool have been in front of goal over the last year. I think we also need to look at further stats to establish the bigger picture' date=' because all a winger can do is lay the chances on for an attacker. Whether those chances are converted is another issue.[/quote'] Wingers also have to score goals Jase. Pilkington, Walcott, Larsson, Dyer, Nani, Sturridge, Silva, Mata, Bale, Valencia.. All these wingers had loads of goals and loads of assists last season, some playing with teams worse than Liverpool. A productive winger scores goals, not just assists, and Suarez has scored 15 league goals for Liverpool, Downing not involved in any of those. And it will be the same story again this weekend.

Re: Liverpool v Man City > Sun 26 August Probably because Liverpool are confused about what system they're meant to be playing. They have no balance between concentrating on different areas of the field. Just look on Saturday, when Liverpool resorted to crossing the ball into Suarez, and he missed at least two headed chances. No wonder downing wasn't involved in his fifth teen goals with heading like that. That's why until they adapt to a certain style of play they will falter IMO. Playing wingers won't be that effective all the time they have Andy Carroll warming the bench. Downing is the sort of old school winger that can get to the byline and put balls into the box. However, crossing to a technically gifted, nippy little striker that is more comfortable with the ball at his feet is not going to work.

Probably because Liverpool are confused about what system they're meant to be playing. They have no balance between concentrating on different areas of the field. Just look on Saturday' date=' when Liverpool resorted to crossing the ball into Suarez, and he missed at least two headed chances. No wonder downing wasn't involved in his fifth teen goals with heading like that. That's why until they adapt to a certain style of play they will falter IMO. Playing wingers won't be that effective all the time they have Andy Carroll warming the bench. Downing is the sort of old school winger that can get to the byline and put balls into the box. However, crossing to a technically gifted, nippy little striker that is more comfortable with the ball at his feet is not going to work.[/quote'] It might explain why he has no assists, but it doesn't explain why he cannot score a goal. I just think he has been abysmal, watch him against West Brom??? He got on the ball 2 or 3 times in the whole match and did nothing with it.

He did score two in the cup last year :) Because Suarez gets the ball and holds it for too long :unsure
Nobody cares if he scored a goal against Oldham in the cup. :lol The fact of the matter is, he is crap! There are no excuses. Glen Johnson has scored 6 goals for Liverpool in the league, Skrtel has 5, Agger has 8, Johnson a winger has none. A wingers job is to create and score goals, he ain't doing that. Getting back to the match, very happy with my bet on City. Liverpool were shocking against Hearts last night, took an O.G. to get the win, they will need a monumental effort just to get a draw from City i reckon, even at Anfield.

Re: Liverpool v Man City > Sun 26 August I don't buy that Liverpool are a total write off after one game. City were decent against Southampton but gained little credit for a victory they barely achieved against what is likely to be a struggling Premiership side. The big games suit Liverpool, look at last season. At home - beat Newcastle 3-1, Everton 3-0, drew with United 1-1, City 1-1, Tottenham 0-0 and the only top side they lost against was Arsenal 1-2. After destroying United (6-2) and Spurs (5-1) early in the season, City drew with Liverpool lost to Chelsea (2-1), Arsenal (1-0), Everton (1-0) and beat Newcastle (2-0). In short, I don't think City are this unstoppable force thats going to romp to the title. Almost unstoppable at home last season, I think its unlikely that will continue this season, they will have to win more away games, they won in 10 of 18 last year and looking further on in the season 5 of their last 13. Stats can obviously be manipulated to some extent though and it would be misguided to think Liverpool are anything other than underdogs, but I think this suits them. For one the midfield is going to have to take responsibility which they totally failed to do against WBA, Lucas is a real asset for Liverpool if he is played in a holding position he can keep the ball and dicatate tempo, after the disaster in the second half against WB and the quality of the opposition the midfield with be far more compact. I'm not convinced Allen is worth 15m but he is certainly an improvement on Henderson, defence is probably where the most issueslie for this game as Enrique isn't fully fit and Agger is suspended. It would be a step in the right direction if they played Coates ahead of Carragher as he struggled against Hearts and his best days are behind him, will have to see what Rodgers decides on that one, Enrique might return. I would play Carroll up front if he is fit, but I don't suppose Rodgers will, I remember the 1-1 at Anfield last season when Carroll came on near the end and very nearly scored twice..I actually think he is Liverpools biggest goal threat and a benefit to any team, don't think many others agree though! Suarez will look very good as usual but struggles to score. I don't think City will win the league this year as I've already said. The CL wasn't a priority for them last year but I think Mancini will be expected to advance to the ko stages this year, they haven't had that pressure before and running a successful EPL and CL campaign side by side is a big challenge. It remains to be seen how many players they bring in next week but I think Javi Martinez might well make the move after the transfer to Bayern hit a snag, that won't be an effect on this game though obviously. Aguero is out and I would think Dzeko will replace him, Balotelli can't be trusted for 90mins. Don't suppose they will make any other changes. City are obviously champions for a reason but their away form is unspectacular when compared to their home, it wouldn't surprise me at all to see Liverpool come away with something. The midfield battle will be the key and while Yaya is probably one of the top three midfielders in the league, Rodwell is largely unproven and with Nasri and Silva they have creative players but unlikely to be players who will track back and compete with conviction. With the crowd behind them and the first Prem game at Anfield I think Liverpool have a decent chance of gaining at least a draw. Say what you like about Downing but he wouldn't be playing for a top 7 Premiership team if he was useless, I believe Lucas is the crucial component to this game and if he, Gerrard, Downing and Allen can dig in and compete with City they have more than a chance on the break with Suarez and Borini. Liverpool 0,+0.5AH - bet365 - 1.825

Re: Liverpool v Man City > Sun 26 August I am confident Pool won't be losing this game. And I think it is good likelihood that they manage to win. The Scousers might not be a confident home team but only when they play against teams outside the top 5. They are actually quite good and efficient at Anfield when they face opposition of highest class. I won't be looking back in time too further, but only in the past two years I immediately recall a number of spectacular home performances of Pool in such circumstances, and this years haven't been the best for the team, the least to say. Just to name a few: 3:1 vs. United, 3:0 vs. City (totally owned them), 2:0 vs. Chelsea (Torres scored twice), 4:1 vs. Chelsea...Actually, against top teams at home, Pool has been poor only against Tottenham, which turns out to be something like a black cat for them in recent years. Against this team of City (managed by Mancini and financed by the Arabs), Liverpool did not lose a single time at home, and since I think I watched all of these games, I remember Liverpool being the better and dominating even the ones that finished with a draw. Let's have a look at City now. First, their best player, in my opinion - Aguero, is out. I think it is a huge-huge blow for them. He is the most creative man up-front and he is actually the best goal-scorer because he so rarely misses good chances (unlike Dzeko and Tevez). But he is also very good not only in finishing but also in play-building with his vision, technical skills and collective play. I think 20% of City's power is diminished when Aguero is not there. Second, knowing Mancini's mentality, I think he will be more than happy with the draw. If the score is level by, say, 60th minute, I am sure that City will step back and Liverpool will be the team committed forward. It is just so typical of Mancini. Third, City has been poor away from home against teams that pack the midfield densely and employ lots of physical pressure - like Swansea, Stoke, Everton, Sunderland and.....Liverpool. They feel way more comfortable when they visit more open-up teams that emphasis more on the attack rather than the midfield, like Man United and Tottenham. I think that a small handicap which covers for the draw is a good and safe option, but also aiming at Liverpool's win is worthy at this huge price. Liverpool 0,+0.5AH - >Bet365 - 1.825 Liverpool 3.15

Re: Liverpool v Man City > Sun 26 August 5pts Man City to beat Liverpool 6/4 William Hill I really think Manchester City will win this match. Liverpool’s back line doesn’t fill me with any confidence and although Steven Gerrard gives their midfield some quality there’s an awful lot of players around him who aren’t good enough for this level. Manchester City don’t carry anyone and the players that come off their bench are of sufficient standard that their level doesn’t drop in anyway. Man City have goals in them and generally in the big games they defend very well and I see no other result than an away win here. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/liverpool-vs-man-city-betting-man-city-look-to-have-too-much-quality-for-a-transitional-liverpool-side

Re: Liverpool v Man City > Sun 26 August Man City @ 2.40 (Bet365) Odds are superb value. Superstition seems to be getting to a lot of people. Yes, Man City haven't won here since 2003 however Mancini has only been in charge for a couple of seasons. Man City is a different/stronger team to what it was when he took over and is constantly improving - records are there to be broken. Liverpool lost 3-0 to WBA, and whilst they will obviously need to recover, Brendan Rodgers will see this game as a major stumbling block. Liverpool are relying to heavily to get their goals from Suarez, Carroll and Borini, however none of them have been prolofic recently (including the end of last season). Man City on the other hand have goals from all over the pitch as we know - Toure, Silva, Tevez, Nasri to name a few. Mancini will want to get his first win here to rack up yet another achievement. Liverpool just don't have the squad to match Man City anymore - Liverpool are firmly a Europa League team now and aren't justified in being labelled a top 4 team anymore. This won't be a walk in the park, but I just can't see Man City not scoring or Liverpool walking all over Man City. Even if Liverpool get a goal, I certainly cannot see it being unanswered at all. 10/10 STAKE

Re: Liverpool v Man City > Sun 26 August Selection Over 2.5 goals Strength 10/10 Date 26/08/2012 Bookmaker/Price Bet365 @ 1.95 Reasoning I see goals in this game. Liverpool are desperate for a result here. They have such a difficult start that they need to attack here. Man City are also capable of scoring goals and wont settle for anything less that a win.

This game appears to be very much like a spin on the roulette wheel with one of reds switched to black in man city's favour. Liverpool pros - liverpool's odd season saw them only lose at home once to a team finishing above them in the league (arsenal) - they won 6 from 14, against teams finishing above them and just 8 from 24 below them. They also failed to score in just 4 games from the 14 games against higher finishing sides, yet failed to score in 9 games from 14 from the 7 teams finishing directly below them, again a possible indicator of the mentality Liverpool played with last year - similarly in cup games, they only lost to Chelsea in the fa cup final having beaten them in the league cup and also overcome man city, man utd and everton as well in cup comps - this would suggest that the players ARE good enough, depending on how they are prepared and how the opposition play - the vast majority of these players remain at the club Liverpool cons - new manager (I've made my feelings known) and new system that the team do not appear to have fully adjusted to - new players added have questions over their ability to slot straight in and perform at expected level straight away - still considering ourselves a top 4 club when we haven't been for a few years Man city pros - champions who appear capable of progressing further - all main players remain and tevez isn't sulking yet Man city cons - man city won 10 from 19 away hames last year, bizarrely winning mainly against the very top and very bottom sides. The 9 games of dropped points were against middle of the table teams, including Liverpool. ? Down to preparation? - question remains whether man city will focus on Europe or whether retaining title will be number one aim - several players appear a little immature at times and may see game as a walkover and not put full shift in For me, it's a no bet. man city are, and should be favourites but Liverpool should not be fully discounted. Liverpool are capable of taking something here, man city are liable to underestimate teams. However, Liverpool are capable of getting the new system confused and man city have the fire power to hit 6 goals as they did at old Trafford last year. It's the start of the season where strange results are more common, so my tip is to put your bet into a slab of beer, a BBQ or a takeaway and just enjoy the game :ok (knowing my tips, that's just sealed a really dull 0-0 draw :lol )

Re: Liverpool v Man City > Sun 26 August Totally agree with those backing City today. I can’t see much point in looking at past results and stats because Liverpool are (or are at least trying to be) a completely changed outfit in personnel and in tactics from previous seasons. I’m a big fan of Rodgers and I admire his pluck to take on this challenge and I hope he succeeds but at the moments there are very few encouraging signs. They were poor in mid week vs Hearts, and probably even worse the weekend before against West Brom. Sure they had some decent spells in that game, but at other times in the second half they looked awful, the players making stupid mistakes and clearly many of them were not on the same wavelength yet. In this league if you have spells like that then you will get punished even against average teams like West Brom. I can’t see things being any different today, and perhaps the added pressure of playing at home will be just as likely a detriment to some of the players than a help, especially if the crowd start to get on their backs if a few passes go astray etc. To make matters worse they’ve got a problem in defence with Agger out. Carragher is the likely replacement apparently, but I feel that maybe Coates may be the better options. Either way both aren’t a patch on Agger. Johnson may well have to continue at left back as well in the absence of Jose Enrique. Don’t need to talk much about City, even with Aguero out they will carry a huge attacking threat. They were able to score 4 without him last weekend, so I’m not overly concerned about his loss for this game. I also expect Mancini to tighten the defence a little after conceding twice last weekend. If they play to anywhere near there what they are capable of then they’ll have this in the bag. The odds on the 0AH is tasty enough to me to take, as I see this as being a completely no risk option. Man City 0AH 1.83 at Bet365 ( 6.5 / 10 units)